Swappers

Reaction score
I caught two shoplifters in the past week. Both of them claimed they never did anything like that before, and they swore to god they just forgot they were hiding the items by accident.

Scumbags.
Seriously? "Oh, yeah, I forgot I had these action figures stuffed down my pants".

They all get caught on their first try. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
I'm not justifying it, as I said, can the prices be seen as a catalyst ie encouragement to these people? Normal people save up or whatever to afford 'expensive' stuff, but clearly, there's something that's causing them to steal. They're not poor, otherwise they'd be taking food or something usable, so maybe high prices are something they don't believe in, yet believe they're entitled to the item.

No one makes or encourages a person to steal a toy. An entrenched sense of entitlement does. Saying high prices entice stealing is a way of dodging accountability. Self-control.

Reaction score
Though I certainly don't agree with or condone it, I feel Hasbro is somewhat complicit in the whole things by constantly trying to grind us for more money by putting one new in demand figure in with two or more old figures.

They think they're being clever by doing that, but in reality it just leads to me seeing a lot of swapped out sets where some a-hole basically got a cool rare figure for FREE that end up never selling and preventing new stuff from coming in.

Reaction score
I had a swap the other day, of a different kind. I had a GoPro package come in with an old Sony DVD Handycam covered in GoPro stickers.

GNT

Reaction score
Can't believe these still end up on the shelves, it's extremely sad that people do this. People who do this are just lazy cheap scum who must only get like $5 an hour at their local maccas, makes you wonder if they can afford anything else like food etc.

Reaction score
Agreed!
I'm not saying you gotta be rocket scientist to operate the service desk, but if you got eys in your head you can clearly see the pic don't match the figure!
It would be the same thing if you returned a black two slice toaster, when the pic on the box clearly shows a white four slice toaster.
What would they do then?

Reaction score
Agreed!
I'm not saying you gotta be rocket scientist to operate the service desk, but if you got eys in your head you can clearly see the pic don't match the figure!
It would be the same thing if you returned a black two slice toaster, when the pic on the box clearly shows a white four slice toaster.
What would they do then?

Well considering the packaging is often generic and doesn't always represent the in box appliance (at least over here), they'd probably accept the toaster lol.
As for the figure, I guess they seriously don't care, and so don't look.
With some figures though, it is 'harder'. Take 2012-13 movie heroes and CW. Minus the back, there's nothing really on the front to distinguish character save for the little sliver of character image on the side, which can be removed by the swapper anyways, or is just too small to notice. If they don't look on the back to, or understand the back ie they might think the back is just a sell sheet rather than representing the product in the actual box.

Reaction score
Maybe they just thought it was a background dio image like how the minirig vehicles have a printed background in their packaging?

Reaction score
The saddest part is some people here think swapping is some kind of tragedy. "I can't believe people do this!" "How can people do something like this", and my personal favorite, the out of touch nerd expectation that employees of Walmart, target, etc. "ought" to be able to catch the swaps and "put a stop to it". How pathetic.

Reaction score
At least the person included all of the BAD parts including the rocket boosters. I would've bought this. $10 is a bargain :)

Reaction score
The saddest part is some people here think swapping is some kind of tragedy. "I can't believe people do this!" "How can people do something like this", and my personal favorite, the out of touch nerd expectation that employees of Walmart, target, etc. "ought" to be able to catch the swaps and "put a stop to it". How pathetic.
About as pathetic as calling someone like me a liar for claiming to have gotten a swapped item? Remember you called me a liar when I said we got a swapped tie bomber?

That was pathetic.

Reaction score
How many stupid pills did you take today????

Reaction score
That is the most absurd one to date, not even any attempt at making it look remotely close to what's pictured!

Reaction score
About as pathetic as calling someone like me a liar for claiming to have gotten a swapped item? Remember you called me a liar when I said we got a swapped tie bomber?

That was pathetic.

Lol refresh my memory ...what was in the box?

Reaction score
I love how the card has a huge crease running across the width, a screaming red flag to the CSR > it just highlights the brazen disregard !

Last edited:
Reaction score
Again you guys don't realize how difficult this stuff is to spot(even something as obvious as this), if you're NOT a collector/star wars fan. It's completely unrealistic ( and overly nerdy), to view this as a tragedy and expect retail employees to spot this. It's not because they are stupid ,..it's because we belong to a certain culture of thought about these things...which is WHY it continues...this may come as a shock but not all retail employees are stupid lazy a-holes. Many of those people are in college studying things far more advanced than Star Wars toy swapping. This is evident by the blank "wtf are you talking about" look the dorks keep getting when they run up to the service desk crying about a swap. Occasionally yes...someone who is aware of this thing may catch it...but really most of those employees are trying to make sure blu ray players and iPhones aren't going out the door. In that context stealing is more of a universal concept. When a 40 year old guy who hasn't shaven in 3 days goes up there holding a toy in his hand babbling about "this isn't the right figure!, it's the old one!"...it smacks of an emotionally disturb weirdo. Not that it's TRUE..it just looks that way. Now if you had 20 min to sit down and explain the concept of what the hell you're talking about..and their manager or company made it a priority... Then I'm they'd understand and watch out for, and probably catch these swaps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Again you guys don't realize how difficult this stuff is to spot(even something as obvious as this), if you're NOT a collector/star wars fan. It's completely unrealistic ( and overly nerdy), to view this as a tragedy and expect retail employees to spot this. It's not because they are stupid ,..it's because we belong to a certain culture of thought about these things...which is WHY it continues...this may come as a shock but not all retail employees are stupid lazy a-holes. Many of those people are in college studying things far more advanced than Star Wars toy swapping. This is evident by the blank "wtf are you talking about" look the dorks keep getting when they run up to the service desk crying about a swap. Occasionally yes...someone who is aware of this thing may catch it...but really most of those employees are trying to make sure blu ray players and iPhones aren't going out the door. In that context stealing is more of a universal concept. When a 40 year old guy who hasn't shaven in 3 days goes up there holding a toy in his hand babbling about "this isn't the right figure!, it's the old one!"...it smacks of an emotionally disturb weirdo. Not that it's TRUE..it just looks that way. Now if you had 20 min to sit down and explain the concept of what the hell you're talking about..and their manager or company made it a priority... Then I'm they'd understand and watch out for, and probably catch these swaps.
At $7.25/hr, none of us expect them to be able to do much really.... so what you said was a good reminder (and made me laugh).... But, in defense of the nerd masses here > it is still mind boggling when we see these over-the-top swaps. Again, I would think a major crease across the card would elicit someone to atleast look twice at what they are accepting as a return. If we could get said CSR's to put down their Nuclear Physics book for a minute, they could refer to their WM training manual which probably reads 1) "closely look at the item being returned to ensure it hasnt been tampered with" .... oops.

Anyways, I just gotta say I love seeing these swaps - not that I condone it in anyway- simply because it makes me laugh so hard. For me, it's now less about the swapped item and more about how brazen the swappers have become vs. how careless the CSR's are > whoever will win this battle ?

.. and for the record, I do want to see a toaster (or better yet a spoon) swapped and photo'd here - it would just make my day...

Last edited:
Reaction score
More nerd logic. In nerdom...Walmart employees are given a "manual", in order to do customer service. A good little Walmart employee routinely reads the manual and refers to it while working, as to better ensure greater customer(particularly toy buying customers), satisfaction.

Reality: they learn a bunch of crap for a few days when hired, most of which they forget(naturally), and begin to see the true ins and outs of their job. As time goes on they get the customer service spot. Some annoyed and disgruntled manager walks them through how things get done there. A crease like the one on the malgus card was accepted most likely because for $10, no employee wants to argue with the person trying to return, when alls that will happen is, their manager will be called over. The employee will be told they're wrong and the return will go through anyway. As long as they can see there's a toy in the bubble..and and it can hang...the return is accepted. And even if the card is all messed up, they'll accept it anyway. Why? A friend explained hasbro will give the store credit for it anyway. Why? Because for $10.. Amongst millions of dollars...hasbro doesn't care either. Not to mention..there at toy lines... Where the package looks the same regardless of who is in the bubble. The Indiana jones figure line all had the same photo of Indi on it. Don't get me started on expecting employees to notice the difference between old versions and updated versions of figures... That's just beyond ridiculous. There are a lot of reasons why things are the way they are, and it's not because you're all so intelligent and everyone else is so stupid and lazy. Sorry to burst your nerd bubble.

For the record I too find the swaps mildly entertaining. But some of the reactions I see here are absurd.

Reaction score
You are still taking those stupid pills...this calls for an intervention...:hmm:

Reaction score
You are still taking those stupid pills...this calls for an intervention...:hmm:
It's not worth it. Dude's really, really righteously indignant and far, far better than any of us here.

He's very brave and Carl Sagan would be shamed by this man's knowledge.

The ignore function here is really, really handy for all of the irritating baby neckbeards that come out of the rug here.

He is grumpy... needs some milk and a nap.

Reaction score
Lol...? I'm actually arguing a point...you two are just name calling and throwing insults? I need a nap because I disagree ?

Reaction score
Reality: they learn a bunch of crap for a few days when hired, most of which they forget(naturally), and begin to see the true ins and outs of their job. As time goes on they get the customer service spot. Some annoyed and disgruntled manager walks them through how things get done there. A crease like the one on the malgus card was accepted most likely because for $10, no employee wants to argue with the person trying to return, when alls that will happen is, their manager will be called over. The employee will be told they're wrong and the return will go through anyway. As long as they can see there's a toy in the bubble..and and it can hang...the return is accepted. And even if the card is all messed up, they'll accept it anyway. Why? A friend explained hasbro will give the store credit for it anyway. Why? Because for $10.. Amongst millions of dollars...hasbro doesn't care either. Not to mention..there at toy lines... Where the package looks the same regardless of who is in the bubble. The Indiana jones figure line all had the same photo of Indi on it. Don't get me started on expecting employees to notice the difference between old versions and updated versions of figures... .

I work at Target and this is pretty much how it is, I mean, the company would rather take a $10 figure and make the customer happy then to risk any future sales to said customer....and very few of the CS agents would know the difference between figures and packaging

Last edited:
Reaction score
This honestly is just another example of the I Don't Care Symptom that is currently going on everywhere.
The store probably doesn't even care because it's such a small a mount, that the don't want to offend a customer.
CS worker probably doesn't even care what's going on, just so long as quitting time arrives w/o any incidents.

Seems the only people that care are the ones affected by the fact this prevents new product from arriving.

Reaction score
More nerd logic. In nerdom...Walmart employees are given a "manual", in order to do customer service. A good little Walmart employee routinely reads the manual and refers to it while working, as to better ensure greater customer(particularly toy buying customers), satisfaction.

But it really doesn't help much to have the manual, if you can't read in the first place.