Swappers

Reaction score
Ebay cares less than WalMart, Target and TRU employees combined.

*might* be the case?? I think it's pretty obvious. Don't worry, he'll just re-list and call it "custom".
I sent another msg posting pics of what he should have. Right after he removed the listing

Reaction score
So.... wait... you believe him that he pulled that from a case??

I have this bridge for sale... interested?

Reaction score
LOL sometimes I try to give the benefit of the doubt, but then again in this case, you're right. Seems like a good butt-covering move to call it a custom. Maybe he should stick to his Revell NASCAR kits.

*EDIT* And no, I don't believe that the figure came like that. I do believe that there's a possibility that he bought a case of figures and maybe had this swap in it. I've heard stories of people ordering figures from HTS.com of all places, and getting swaps. Or maybe he bought a "case" (IE, all the figures in the assortment that were on the pegs) of figures from a brick 'n mortar store and just so happened to have a swapped figure in his purchases.

OR, most likely, he swapped it and wanted to burn someone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is what he responded to me with:

Wow...you are totally right. I took a closer look at the figure and it is some kind of knock off. The crazy thing is, I bought it out of a case sitting on the floor at my local Wal-Mart! You can even see where the original figure was removed from the bubble and a new bubble mounted. Thank you for bringing that to my attention, because I didn't notice it!

Reaction score
So it could be my theory of he bought the case assortment off of the pegs. That means the "case" had been sitting out for some time since somebody already had time to swap the figures. I doubt they were *in* a case. I have a strong feeling that they were on the pegs, and it just so happened to be a complete case sitting there.

Or so he says.

Reaction score
That makes me feel better... he's not a swapper (so he claims) just a scumbag scalper.

Reaction score
It is kind of funny that he didn't notice anything wrong with the figure when he was taking pics of it. Then when sent proof comes back and says you can see where the figure was removed. Just think he will prob try to return this to walmart in turn this figure showing back on the peg

Reaction score
That makes me feel better... he's not a swapper (so he claims) just a scumbag scalper.
why is he a "scumbag scalper"? just because he bought figures to re-sell?

He didnt even ask for more then retail when he put it up for bid..So now if anyone resells figures they bought, even starting the bids at cost, they are scumbag scalpers?

Reaction score
why is he a "scumbag scalper"? just because he bought figures to re-sell?

He didnt even ask for more then retail when he put it up for bid..So now if anyone resells figures they bought, even starting the bids at cost, they are scumbag scalpers?
Yes. He's not offering a "Buy-it-now" for retail, so he's hoping that it will reach $12 - $15 or more... which makes him a scalper. I love it when people use the "I put it up for cost, it's not my fault that it sold for $40" excuse. So you're saying that if I had a Bastila Shan and put her on ebay for $8, and she sold for $32... I wouldn't be a scalper?

Reaction score
I have been collecting for 15 years. Scalpers, even when they beat me to a figure I want, have never bothered me. Anyone reselling figures for cost or otherwise has never bothered me. Even swappers don't bother me.

We're talking about toys. Get a grip.

Reaction score
So what does that mean? I'm not allowed to dislike someone... because you don't?? I think you're the one that needs to get a grip. I don't like to drink tea because I'm a coffee kind of guy... is that OK with you? I know it's just beverages so I should get a grip, but I just figured I'd ask.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes. He's not offering a "Buy-it-now" for retail, so he's hoping that it will reach $12 - $15 or more... which makes him a scalper. I love it when people use the "I put it up for cost, it's not my fault that it sold for $40" excuse. So you're saying that if I had a Bastila Shan and put her on ebay for $8, and she sold for $32... I wouldn't be a scalper?
are you serious????

The main complaint from "the masses" was that if they put it up at cost and let it bid to whatever it will go to, that was okay but if they did a buy now at a high price they were taking advantage....Now, according to you, they cant even ensure they recoup their costs??

Really??

So, you feel it's owed to you that you get it at retail weather buying online, ebay, or at the store?

Wow....just, wow.....

Reaction score
So, let me get this straight.

Buying Bastila Shan at Target for $9 and putting her on ebay for $9, and watching her get bid up to $40 is OK and doesn't make you a scalper.

Buying Bastila Shan at Target for $9 and putting her on ebay for $40 makes you a scalper.

I don't see a difference.

According to this site's rules, selling a currently shipping product for more than current retail value is considered scalping. I don't care if it's a BIN or an auction or you make a trade with someone for $40 worth of other figures... it's scalping.

Reaction score
So what does that mean? I'm not allowed to dislike someone... because you don't?? I think you're the one that needs to get a grip. I don't like to drink tea because I'm a coffee kind of guy... is that OK with you? I know it's just beverages so I should get a grip, but I just figured I'd ask.

Toys. A grip, get one.

Reaction score
IMO, putting the figure up for bids at-cost is totally fine. The seller has no control over who is bidding on it (unless we're talking shill bidding accounts, but that's a whole 'nother story) and the bidders are ultimately the ones who make the decision on what price is fair to them. If the figure is popular and it sells for more than retail, then good for the seller, they netted a gain by selling an item that was in demand when supply is currently not up to par to demand. The bidders are the ones who bid, right? So by bidding $12 on an item that you know you can get for $8 at a store, that means you apparently are willing to pay more than retail for the convenience of being able to get it shipped to you, thus eliminating the need to go out and search for this item. $12 too rich for your blood? Okay, don't bid. Wait it out, maybe you can find a better deal elsewhere.

Now the game is totally different if the seller has a shill bidding account to drive prices up, that's obviously not cool, because they're basically trying to drive the price to a more favorable level. But if someone puts something up for bids at-cost, and they end up selling it for more than cost due to pure bidding by buyers, then there's nothing wrong with that. The person who bid $X for it seems to be fine with paying $X for it.

Reaction score
So, let me get this straight.

Buying Bastila Shan at Target for $9 and putting her on ebay for $9, and watching her get bid up to $40 is OK and doesn't make you a scalper.

Buying Bastila Shan at Target for $9 and putting her on ebay for $40 makes you a scalper.

I don't see a difference.

According to this site's rules, selling a currently shipping product for more than current retail value is considered scalping. I don't care if it's a BIN or an auction or you make a trade with someone for $40 worth of other figures... it's scalping.
I personally dont care what someone does with their figures they buy, if they buy the figure and sell it at buy now for $400, or it bids up to $400 or if they sell it for 0.50c, or what ever, I dont use the term "scalper" ever except when it comes to selling tickets to an event in the parking lot, the whole "scalper" mentality is dumb as far as SW toys go as far as I am concerned.

I think all is fair in love and war and SW toys, if the guy gets to the store before me and buys the figure I want then too bad for me, I should get there earlier, no harm no foul....

So yes, if you buy a figure and sell it higher on ebay, then cool for you, hope you make a killing......if you short-sell your self and sell it only for retail then you're a bit dumb if you ask me.

With all that said, if someone wants to buy a figure and trade it, or sell it for cost plus shipping on the RS forum then great, it's good to help others with their hobby, I've done it and people have done it for me, but I dont expect everyone to be that way....

Reaction score
If a guy bought a star wars figure, and he paid $9 bucks for it and re sold it for $16 million dollars, Id high five him.

Reaction score
It ever occur to you guys that maybe the people that work in Hasbro when putting together the new figures they are the scalper scammers by putting in old Power of the Force 2 figures in randomly on purpose? Glad it never happens in our state

Reaction score
It ever occur to you guys that maybe the people that work in Hasbro when putting together the new figures they are the scalper scammers by putting in old Power of the Force 2 figures in randomly on purpose? Glad it never happens in our state

Reaction score
Tatooine, Taris, Korriban and Ontario, Canada.
LOL sometimes I try to give the benefit of the doubt, but then again in this case, you're right. Seems like a good butt-covering move to call it a custom. Maybe he should stick to his Revell NASCAR kits.

*EDIT* And no, I don't believe that the figure came like that. I do believe that there's a possibility that he bought a case of figures and maybe had this swap in it. I've heard stories of people ordering figures from HTS.com of all places, and getting swaps. Or maybe he bought a "case" (IE, all the figures in the assortment that were on the pegs) of figures from a brick 'n mortar store and just so happened to have a swapped figure in his purchases.

OR, most likely, he swapped it and wanted to burn someone.
I thought figures pulled from a case were unpunched where as this one is punched. Plus he's the only guy selling RFTs on eBay for retail.

Smells like poodoo.

Reaction score
Tatooine, Taris, Korriban and Ontario, Canada.
I know its a bit off topic, but I agree with what R5 said. A guy selling a figure hoping to get what he paid for it has no control over how much someone else is willing to spend. What's the difference if he started the auction at .01 or at $8.99? Chances are, if its a hot commodity, the greed of man will take over and will drive the price up. Factor in if he acquired the piece in a case that he himself ordered (in which case he might have had to pay some sort of tax and shipping) or he drove to a store to acquire it (cost of gas)

If he knowingly sets his BIN price at $20 then he's already taking advantage of the situation. Will people still buy it? Probably. But that doesn't mean you HAVE to buy it.

Who knows what the auction will end up closing at? That's up to the bidders I guess.

Reaction score
I've said this before but you need all kinds of people to make a collectible community. People paying higher prices for lack of availability or for desire makes your own collection worth more. BECAUSE some people collect not to open and enjoy but either for the future value or for (like me) the challenge of the hunt. I am elated when I score a figure for less than retail. Does that make me a bad guy for not paying retail? But then I have paid a hefty sum for figures that are hard to find or practically scare. Does that make me an enabler? lol I have also bought and sold for less than I paid for. Not good for me but that's the collectors market for you. And I have sold figures for more than I paid for it. I don't go out there to sell high but hey if someone wants to put more bills out there to beat others from buying it, fine. That will just help me with my collecting more. I just try to make sure my costs are covered.

Reaction score
I saw one of the new battlepacks at Target had some swaps. An obvious swap out. Interestingly enough, Target put a new price sticker on it, suggesting they were aware of it being "wrong."

I hate seeing swapped figures. This made me think about the rationalization some swappers have. I don't like how crummy the battlepacks are in the model of one new figure 2 old repaint/repacks but I don't think this justifies ripping off retailers and screwing over kids and collectors. The lame 2 old 1 new model though, it doesn't stop me from buying these mostly lame battle packs (the new ones from Hasbro, not the ones that the swappers return). I realized I don't have to keep the figures I don't want. I can put them up as trade fodder, sell them, give them away, or use them for parts when making customs. I can rationalize too. To pick up the one new figure would cost me about $20+ on ebay after shipping etc. At least my rationalization doesn't hurt anyone, except for the person I beat to the purchase.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've resolved to the fact that everyone can pay or sell or hide or swap or do whatever the heck they want with their collecting habits, because we're dealing with toys. The thrill for me is finding and looking over the sculpt/paint/accessories and enjoying the quality of the piece. However my personal and emotional investment stops right there. They're just toys.

Reaction score
I somewhat have the same feeling...but its kinda just stupid your gonna put this much effort just to get a free figure really ? I mean you really gotta be a loser if thats what you spend your time doing. Have fun in mommys basement dude :p

Reaction score
found a swap last night that really makes me wonder if the stores even care anymore about getting ripped off. was in Walmart on Saturday and was looking at their clearence items seeing there were any good deals on SW stuff and spotted the recent CW Lego Turbo Tank on the shelf with a $35.00 price tag on it and grabbed it immediately. i noticed that it looked like the box was re-taped (rather poorly). i shook the box and could heard stuff rattling around inside the box but it didn't sound like Lego. I popped up some of the tape and to my surprise found that someone had bought the set and refilled the box with MULCH !!!.

That's really weird, because I bought I bag of mulch at Walmart and it was filled with nothing but LEGOS!!

I got screwed.

Reaction score
I saw one of the new battlepacks at Target had some swaps. An obvious swap out. Interestingly enough, Target put a new price sticker on it, suggesting they were aware of it being "wrong."
Deadpool, Vader and Grievous? There's a trio! Vader has a sniper rifle, too.

Looks like the Grievous is the ROTS Wheel Bike pack-in.

GNT

Reaction score
Does the sticker actually say anything on it?

Reaction score
This kid apparently was the victim of a swapper...

Small Epic Haul - YouTube
That kid should really think through and mentally rehe**** what he's going to say before he hits the "record" button. That alone probably would have shaved off about 30 seconds of staring blankly into the camera.

EDIT: Rehe**** is a banned word? Really? I guess I could just replace it with "practice" but I just wanted to point out the ludicrousness of that particular bit of censorship.

Last edited: