SW Ep.7: A new breath

Reaction score
Hi there,

Episode 7 has been confirmed. This is very big news.
What about the composer for this next galactic chapter?

John Williams is in my opinion as responsible as George Lucas for the heights SW has reached.
But he is now 80. Who knows if he will want or be able to embark for the journey that is composing a SW score?
Come to think of it, would it be a good thing for him to continue his SW adventure?
I know this might sound heretic, and believe me, JW's music is what makes me love SW beyond reason, but if SW is going to continue its life without GL's ubiquitous control, with new directors (Abrams, Jackson ... but that is for another thread :p), maybe with a different tone (pun intended), then why not change the music creator?
I think some themes should remain (at least the opening theme), but there would be room for new ideas ... and whether Ep.7 will be set around Luke, Leia, Han, Lando's lifetime will have an impact for sure. What about more "eternal" characters such as Yoda, R2, 3PO ?

I've been reading here and there, suggestions from music fans, and I'd like to know what you think.
If John Williams was not composing his magic for SW7, who would?
+ Michael Giacchino ... I think he would do a good job. He's my best bet at the moment.
+ Howard Shore ... his music can be haunting, and powerful ... he can have a sense of grandeur ...
+ James Newton Howard ... I still don't know about him
+ Alan Silvestri ... I really like many of his themes, but I think some of his scores lack a little diversity
+ James Horner ... he does a good (symphonic) job, but tends to reuse motifs, which can be distracting (e.g. "Willow" four-notes evil motif used in Avatar)
+ Henry Jackman ... why not? I have to get to know him better
- Alexandre Desplat... there's a composer we see more and more ... I'm not sure he would fit though (I have to listen to more of his music)
- Patrick Doyle ... not sure about him
- John Powell ... I don't think so
- Hans Zimmer ... I wouldn't like that

+ Jerry Goldsmith ... it's a pity he's no longer with us, because I think he had the range a SW composer should have

Now what I have to do is explore their musical language, and try to imagine them in a galactic mood ...

What do you think?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Williams is by afr my number one choice if not him I have no second choice.
I know that feeling ... and that's exactly how I reacted at first. :)

Then I tried to imagine what could happen should John Williams not be able to grace us with his music
And I think there could be people with the capacity of expanding the saga's music

Reaction score
We're already missing RMcQ for concept art, so if it's going to be true to the OT in its feel, I would hate to lose another key component to Star Wars.
(However, I think if we could get someone who has worked closely with Ralph and is intimately connected to his style, it could work...Paul Bateman.)
But that's for another thread.

Michael Giacchino is awesome! I love how he can manipulate themes to make the same melody either dramatic, intense, or melancholy.
The only problem is that I tend to be able to pick his music out too quickly.
If he worked with the themes and instrumental depth of JW, though, it would work.
He is amazing.

Reaction score
Great thread! As unnatural as it might feel to imagine SW without Williams, I think the harsh reality of JW's age makes it an almost certainty that he won't be the primary composer of the sequel trilogy. I don't think anyone can replace him, but there are certainly many composers who could do an excellent job; Shore and Giaccino are the first that come to mind for me.

Reaction score
If John Williams can't do it, I'd side with Michael Giacchino, Howard Shore, or Bear McCreary. Downside on McCreary is that The Walking Dead might keep him too busy.