SW Collection as An Investment

Reaction score
I agree, I really can't see value on MOC vintage going anywhere but up. I don't think loose or U-grades will go up as much but any vintage will hold it's value. Modern on the other hand is a different story...anything POTF2 and later will be next to worthless with the exception of some rare variations....it's just way too mass produced and there are way too many people collecting it because they think it will be worth a ton of money someday. Most POTF2 figures that sold for $5.00 to $7.00 in the late 90's and are worth much less today.

I would think most collectors on this site obviously do it for the love of the toys, movies, etc....not the percieved expectation of future value....
however, with that being said....i disagree with a lot said in this thread...
I don't see how the market or demand is going anywhere for star wars and particularly vintage.
With new movies coming out in the next few years ( combined with the recent trilogy ) there is/will be entire new generations who fall in love
with star wars and will want to collect them for the same love we have....
The value of all vintage, especially MOC ( since they are losing out to sorry *** U graders, etc... are becoming harder to find ) ....they will only increase as time goes by i.m.o.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This has been an interesting thread, and a pretty good read. If you're buying in the hopes of future profit...you're an investor not a collector. It's just that simple. As fas as the investing side goes, there are very few safe options. I'll keep my opinions to toys because that's what I know. There are far too many "exceptions to the rule" when talking about props, autographs, art, and the multitude of others areas of collectibles. Vintage toys are almost always a safe bet to at least remain stable in value, and most often they go up. The problem with vintage stuff is the initial investment. To be confident in the stability or future growth in value, you need to be buying mint on card or mint in sealed box items. To ensure that future buyers or investors will pay top dollar for your items, AFA grading is almost required anymore. There are plenty of high grade vintage items out there that will cost you the same money...ounce for ounce...as gold. No good investment advisor is going to argue the stability of gold vs Star Wars toy futures...it's no contest.

I collect for personal enjoyment. I am a Fett focused collector, so I can be fairly confident that I will get a good return should I ever decide to sell. But, I hope never to have to. The enjoyment I get from them is well worth the cost I paid. I do have a modest online store where I buy and sell Star Wars figures, but it's not to get rich. The store has allowed me to build complete collections of all the modern lines (a few times over)...I just sell them when I've finished the hunt. It's also a great way to add to my collection when a Fett comes through that's slightly better than the one in my collection. I also assist a friend in building his own collection. He initially wanted complete collections of all the modern lines to keep for later resale. I managed to talk him out of that madness by showing him how many of the modern figures sell for 1/3 of their original retail value or less. Since he insisted on modern lines only...no vintage...I built him a sensible collection. By limiting himself to exclusives, concepts, Expanded Universe figures, and the handful of "rares" from each line, he has reduced the size of the collection, while keeping a visually striking assortment of figures that will at least retain value, and are unlikely to be issued again as resculpted figures. Collecting today has become too expensive to just throw away money on figures you don't like in the hopes that 10 or 15 years from now it will be treasure. Just my thoughts.

Reaction score
Well, with what I may have said before, I have realized that my collection has been something of a tool for me to generate funds. Now that I am reducing my collection, it freed up money to buy a new cell phone that I needed.

So an investment? Maybe not, but a delay in funds for a later time... sure.

Reaction score
I've had two other hobbies prior to Star Wars. Comics and video games. In both cases, when I decided to part ways with my collection, I lost money on my "investment". I was okay with that because I'd mostly had my fun with both. That's really the only important thing to me now with my Star Wars book collection. In fact, one of the reasons I've decided to focus on books is because I can both enjoy and collect them. While I might stray into the toy realm as my kid grows up, vintage Kenner figures are off the table for me right now because there's nothing I can do to enjoy them. I certainly would feel a little bit odd playing with action figures at my age (though to each their own, I suppose).

While I suppose at some point down the road I may move on from this hobby, too, I don't think I'll ever see it as an investment. In fact, I'm often a stickler for 1st editions and conditions, and tend to pay more than I probably should for things. Not really the hallmark of a smart investor :p.

Reaction score
Well, with what I may have said before, I have realized that my collection has been something of a tool for me to generate funds. Now that I am reducing my collection, it freed up money to buy a new cell phone that I needed.

So an investment? Maybe not, but a delay in funds for a later time... sure.
I agree I have had pretty good luck I would say overall when I sell (usually to change direction or focus) I them use the money to buy more collectibles
I either make a little (30%) come out even (60%) lose a little (10%)
I do it for the love of it not for the money but nice to know if I need some cash sometimes I can sell a few pieces

Reaction score
I've been collecting Star Wars since the beginning. It's a hobby I enjoyed with my Father as we searched for all the new figures and its a hobby I've enjoyed with my children. While I only collect for fun the the enjoyment of it it is in the back of my mind that these could be an investment for the future. Not an investment for me as I never plan to sell but for my children. When I'm gone they can do with my collections as they wish, and I'm sure that will include selling some if not all of it. That is the only reason I consider it an investment for them. As for things I believe to be the best investment, like many others, it's the Vintage MOC. Every time I thnk they have hit the ceiling they continue to rise in value. As for modern items I think the exclusive and lower production numbered items from SideShow and Gentle Giant are sure to continue to go up in value. Star Wars is very unique in collectables as it gains popularity as time goes on. Star Wars is here to stay :)

Reaction score
I have been collecting every 12 inch figure starting with the POTF2 line in 1996 through the Saga line up to 2002. (I have no interest in the prequel figures) I have over 80+ factory sealed figures...and counting. I've told my daughter (she's only 13) that when I am 6 feet under I want her to continue taking care of them. I would hope they would be passed on to my future grandchildren as well, but we'll see. The sideshow figures are awesome but there is no way I can afford those and the Gentle Giants, in my opinion are a waste of money (I would not pay $80 to have stickers around my R2-D2 as the detail). Speaking of a waste of money, the new 12 inch lines for 2013 are complete trash! You can tell Disney is taking over now. The detail is miles (AND I DO MEAN MILES) apart from the previous lines. I am so glad to see my collection displayed in my mancave for all to see.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Personally, collecting should first be for the fun and interest. Any increase in value is a bonus.

A few mistakes collectors make is that they buy items with investment in mind first. New items 1990 and newer have been preserved by the bulk of collectors so value tends to go down because there is no scarcity to mint on card or unopened unless it is a error or very limited run (25000 isnt a limited run...500 or less is my definition of limited.)

Back when star wars came out very few thought about buying and not opening....heck i was 12 years old and just wanted to rip the package open. Very few didnt open - The problem with vintage star wars especially action figures is that they made millions...hundreds of millions ..a billion action figures but everyone opened them.

Finally, condition. Poor condition items are worth nothing there are so many ripped boxes, beheaded vaders, etc. excellent condition items are the investment grade potential but to me the 'graded items' will not return your investment only the nongraded items when are still at reasonable prices.

Common today will be rare 100 years from now due increased numbers of collectors.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've recently started collecting again after a ten year hiatus. I agree that the MOC kenner figures are a solid bet to hold or increase in value, as confirmed by current price comparisons with my own collection.

But not all vintage items are a sure bet for holding value. An example is the 1982 micro collection. I love that line and have a nearly complete collection. However, from what I've seen lately, these now trade for quite a bit less thanks (I guess) to all the newer stuff out there. I now see complete micro falcons with boxes routinely trading in the $120-150 range on auction sites. The going rate was 2-3 three times that ten years ago. Obviously interest levels can fade, even for vintage. Fortunately, I am in it for the enjoyment.

Reaction score
I buy SW things because I like it and sometimes I buy multiples because I like it so much. I was however tempted to sell my Elite Han blaster when I saw prices in the $3,000s... Only because I needed a new truck...

Reaction score
I didn't open Hasbro's for the most part(though I did Kenner back in the golden days); I was mostly MOC collector & bought doubles for cantina dioramas, etc. I sold a lot, and Sideshow too, to fund Hot Toys SW efforts. I don't regret it...they are the Crown Jewels of my collection. I still have vintage '78-85, and some still carded. To me...Hasbro's peaked with TAC, and they've been churning out crap 3.75 ever since.

Reaction score
I buy SW things because I like it and sometimes I buy multiples because I like it so much. I was however tempted to sell my Elite Han blaster when I saw prices in the $3,000s... Only because I needed a new truck...

Sell the Gun and Get your truck my friend. You can still be a fan of Star Wars without owning every piece of SW junk that comes down the pike. These are great movies and it's fun to collect SW Stuff but they can and have caused many to spend way to much hard earned money on un-needed SW Merchandise. Just my Opinion! :)

Reaction score
Collections can be a great investment only if buy high grade items but buy what you like because the collectors world can be very fickle. If values go down then you have things you enjoy and wont get stressed out.

Reaction score
in thinking more about this, IF you were going to buy SW for investment, you have to know whats going to hold its value. For the most part, if not the majority, modern star wars toys just arent worth it. Mass produced and I dont think they will ever hold the same effect or nostalgia as the first vintage SW toys did.

If you then decide to invest in vintage, the one factor working against you is degradation. If you are planning on holding on too some Yak Face MOCs or some of the rarer POTF MOCs or other rare and in demand MOCs, say foreign MOCs, they will all in time either yellow, crack, or the bubble fall off. So that AFA 85Y Yak Face, POTF is no longer worth 7,000 but say 50-60% less because the bubble slid off. Thats a terrible investment.

If it isnt that, how do you purchase correctly in the cycle? At one point, vintage SW collecting will once again go into a hiatus or slow down. Prices will come down. Demand for items will shift. Will it be pre-production that goes hot and heavy? Will it be displays? Will it be MOCs, etc etc etc.

I Guess if one had enough data on price points and had a way to measure demand by watching what items rise in price over others for the next cycle, perhaps it might be worth an investment but think about it, the dealers that are in this constantly flip and move the product, They dont sit on it for long periods of time.

Reaction score
As a kid, I worked in a comic store and got the greatest advice ever. Buy what you like, and if it goes up or down the worst thing that happened is you have something you enjoy. Collectibles are always a risky investment.

Reaction score
This is my 1st post. I have been coming here for over 10 years, but i just created this user id to go further into the boards. I am 45 and been a collector since my first figure. The wife and myself just purchased a new house 2 years ago. With no children, we had 2 extra bedrooms. So for the 1st time in my life, i had a room i could use as my toyroom. For years i just had stuff in boxes, sitting in the closet. Most of my collection is vintage loose. My loose figures are as mint as they get, with some coming off cards that were busted or in miserable shape. I like being able to touch my collection. I have been collecting the 6 inch black series since it started. Two of every figure released. One to display, and one to keep mint in the box. Like many of the posts i read, i collect for the pure joy. I do not collect with the idea of selling down the line. I love getting that feeling inside like when we were kids getting a new toy. I do sometimes sell something in my collection, only to fund something else i want. My main collection is Star Wars, however i collect Mego worlds greatest super heroes, and wrestling figures. Most of that stuff i open or in the case of megos, i bought them loose.

Reaction score
Hello.
A lot of Rebelscum members made great comments esp. Hoth_My_Fav, Lobotscomb, ozzy1400, bobafett14, Xforce, jawaslayer.

Here is my opinion:

Vintage? - Yes. If you are willing to spend a LOT of money and time. If possible, as in stocks, buy low and sell high. I was fortunate since I bought some items during the slow period prior to Kenner/Hasbro relaunching the line again.
Modern? - if so, what lines? Not as much. It seems it depends on the series or certain popular characters (Ex: Boba Fett, Ashoka, Darth Raven) that tend to raise in value.
Most people starting buying in modern for an investment when Ep. 1 came out thinking it would have a great return. Now, Ep 1 merchandise is relatively cheap with only a few exceptions.

Exclusives? - Hasbro (it will vary depending on line and if not reissued.
Sideshow/GG/Other? - Their regular stuff (even though most seems to be exclusives anymore) It could be good investment, but it will depend on what you are willing to pay for it. The exclusive are good
LEGO-This can be tricky since it will be expensive but it tends to go up in most cases. However, you will have to again willing to spend the time and money esp for exclusives.
Real Props? Yes, of course. They will not go down in the long run due to not showing up very often/rarity.
Replica props? Yes, but mostly only licensed items and how many are made.
Autographs? Yes.

One important point pertaining to all above: You have to make sure they are legit. As in most collectibles, esp autos and vintage, there are fakes out there. Plus, you have to include possible stolen items esp what happened to Rancho Obi Wan and to Rebelscum recently.

Last, as Lobotscomb and others stated, buy what you like. This would not only include SW but Transformers, Walking Dead, Marvel, DC, etc. You should really think objectively whether you wish to purse this. You will need to ask yourself tough questions.

For me, as others, I am a fan, and I bought since I was a kid a long time ago. So, it is mostly a hobby, but somewhat an investment since I bought vintage items when they first came out.
Thank you and good luck.

As a kid, I worked in a comic store and got the greatest advice ever. Buy what you like, and if it goes up or down the worst thing that happened is you have something you enjoy. Collectibles are always a risky investment.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm actually a financial planner and I don't buy Vintage Star Wars as an investment. It's not necessarily a great investment. Use it as a life enjoyment tool. Leave the investing to stocks, bonds, funds, etc.

Disclaimer: This is not professional advice and shouldn't be construed as professional advice from a financial consultant on this forum.

Reaction score
Personal opinion is that if you're just looking to collect for the sake of increasing your financial gain in the long run, you don't really care or value what you're collecting outside of the object's monetary value. May not be a popular opinion, but yea. I don't buy/collect things I don't hold some personal value on, whether it be a part of my childhood, my hobby or just something I absolutely love.

If not, what's the point? Just throw it in a closet to never see the light of day until you see the market value raise, just for you to sell it off for a much higher premium to the people that actually care about it, without the intent of resale for further financial gain?

-TC