SW Collection as An Investment

Reaction score
If you are using your collection as an investment, or thinking about it, what do you think the best line to invest in would be?

Vintage? - Prices are already high on some pieces, do you think they will continue to gain value (i.e DT Luke or Vinyl caped Jawa?)

Modern? - if so, what lines?

Exclusives? - Again, which ones? Hasbro? Sideshow? GG? Other?

Sideshow/GG/Other? - Their regular stuff (even though most seems to be exclusives anymore)

Any other items? Real Props? Replica props? Autographs?

Reaction score
Yes & No. I know it will be sold off at some point. I have no plans of selling, but tomorrow is another day.
As for what i collect...I only collect what I want to look at. I hope it will go up in value, but now days if can can break even your doing good.
I think anything vintage will all ways be a good investment.

Reaction score
If I want to invest I'll buy stocks, bonds, homes, gold etc. I don't buy toys as a financial investment. I have quite a lot of money invested in the hobby but I'll never get back what I put into it. Luxury items have very rarely seen a big return. I would say that my SW collection is an investment in my happiness and that's about it.

Reaction score
Interesting question,

In my point of view the only Star Wars product with some investment potential would be Mint in Box lego sets.
Buying carefully selected boxes without scratches, keeping them boxed, and keeping the boxes mint, then waiting for 5-10 years would probably make bit of return. If you have the space and patience.

All other things, I suppose, you are lucky if you make your money back. Except for the very slim chance of finding some rare and expensive vintage item on the local flee market,that is.

Sune

Reaction score
Toys, not even high end items, are not good for investment. There are items that went up in value, I know of some Master Replicas prop replicas for example but also there are statues that went down in value. I collect because it is a hobby, I like doing this, and it is entirely for myself. It is one of the very few things I do for me. Of course I don't mind when a collectible goes up in value at all, but that is not what I'm interested in.

Reaction score
I'm taking my chances on the modern line. Mainly vintage style because it brings back alot of childhood memories. ROTS are a huge plus for me. Packaging is distinct and one of a kind too.

Reaction score
I do collect because I loveit, however with my husband's health issues, the day may come when I will have to sell it all or some of it.

Reaction score
Modern is NOT an investment. There are no figures save for a VERY select few that actually go up in value.

If you want to invest I would go all out on Vintage. However there are certain risks you have to take into account, just like an other investment (yellowing bubbles just to name 1).

High end stuff is also a place you can invest but again, you are taking a risk--someone still has to want to buy it for more than what you paid for it when you want to sell it. Those collectors selling now are taking huge losses because no one simply has the money or wants to pay full retail, much less more than retail.

However, the bottom line is collecting should be fun. If its not, you need to get out. If some things end up being worth more when you intend to sell (if ever), fine, but you shouldn't be collecting now with the thought that things will be 3 or 4 times what you paid for them several years down the road because 95% of the stuff now will be worth less in 10 or 20 years--it's just too mass-produced.

Reaction score
i think collecting toys as an investment has ample risk w/ 'mild' reward for most of us. true, the same can be said for stocks, real estate, etc..

some risks are card / bubble damage, bubble yellowing, fig's weapon coming lose in the bubble, item losing fan demand overtime (prob my largest concern w/ Star Wars after the next 20 years), etc... i collect SW items because of my childhood memories.

it also really depends what % you are paying of the asking price. dealers and popular collectors have ways to get items cheaper than most of us (connections, know where to look, being in the right place at the right time, etc...). it comes back to the rule of thumb of, "buy low and sell high". i've prob got lucky and paid 25% below avg market asking $ for some items. However, you really need to pay at least - 50% for a nice $ return in case you need to sellout for below market price.

As stated previously, I think toy, comic, baseball card, movie prop, etc... collecting should be for enjoyment. now if you can somehow managed to make a buck, that is icing on the cake.

just my two cents :)

Anyway, I think only Vintage Kenner will probably be the wise investment. Again, it comes down to no much you pay.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Even Vintage is winding down, though. As the people who grew up with Vintage move on or pass on, you'll only be left with people who will collect off of it's reputation. Eventually, we will lose the core Vintage collectors and you'll be left with 20-somethings grabbing up figures "just because" with no real attachment whatsoever. This will bring down the prices.

Right now, 99% of toys don't bring in secondary market profits. Whereas most high-end collectibles (SSC, GG, MR, etc) can.

Reaction score
I think as the economy grows weaker and people start shifting interest to other areas such as bills, cars and other type of investments that can be shared with the family or have an actual productivity for their daily lives, the demand for figures such as Vintage will decrease tremendously. Also, with the new generations of fans focusing on the modern series which have better sculpt, paint apps and technologies in articulation, Vintage will decay like a thing of the past that people will look down and complain how expensive they are and how little they can offer. That is one of the main aspects affecting vintage items as technology becomes more available and advanced in the toy industry. I think toys such as Hot Toys, convention exclusives (not usually repaints) and statues are where it is (in terms of investments). However toys will never be a good investment. If you want to invest in to something that will reward you nicely, do so in other things such as stocks for prominent and business promising companies, certain types of real state, certain types of business and goods, research and technology to fill a practical need, things like those. But toys.. specially vintage... they arent just going to be safe at all or all that worthy in the next couple years. I mean not everyone can spend $300 on a vintage figure you know, and when you put that and it the vintage collection counterpart next to it, people are going to choose the $7 one because its cheaper and looks better!

Reaction score
really the only thing I can see as being wroth investing in for profit would be film used props. with good docs. with them ... replicas can and will be made for years. toys ... well in time whites will turn yellow ... yellow to brown ... bubbles will become brittle yellow and break ... glue will become old ... will this happen in our life time some yes most ... not likely but as years go by ... people will see these items as not an investment ...

take something as simple as Avon bottles ... back in the 60's when all the different things were coming out ... people bought them thinking due to limited runs they'll be worth money someday ... well, Avon seeing how well they sold just kept making them ... killing the value .... Beanie babies another sample ... another thing that really hits home ... look at Mego Star Trek figures ... some pretty rare figures from that line ... then come EMCE and created repros that look 99% the same as the original ... sure they added some figures that mego didn't which is cool but they hurt the value of the originals. Someday this could happen to the vintage star wars line ... in one form it already has in the 12" Giant vintage figures that have been made ... heck repro weapons are all over the place ... and they've hurt the value ... unless you can prove without a doubt to the buyer the figure has no repro weapons .....

it's fun to collect ... but don't do it if you think only of profits down the road ... and really investing ... I'd say do it in something that cannot be remade and has a demand ... like gold ... even if it looks like a yellow turd ... it still will be worth as much if it was all flattened out and made to look like a piece of art.

Reaction score
Vintage will always be the investment / of Course prototypes and displays . anything from the 1990's and up really is worthless overall now and in the long haul. All these replicas from companies , while cool , really are just reproductions and too mass produced.

Like the gentle giant things for instance , Sure the 12" jumbo figures are HOT now , but an investment..not really in my mind . If your looking at profits then you need to do something else . collect because you love it , not because it can make a huge profits

-james

Reaction score
I don't think SW toys are a good investment. I know there are people that see a certain original vintage figure selling for big bucks, but not everything is going to be worth more than today. The problems with the packging that have been mentioned will have an impact on what something is worth, but more importantly you have to find someone or a nuber of people that really need a certain item and are willing to pay a lot for it.

If someone bought a figure back in 2002 for $5 and tries to sell it today, they'd be lucky to get $2 for it. It is possible that if you wait another 5 years, you might get more for it, but you always run the risk that Hasbro redoes that figure, making your version less desirable. Right now, Darth Revan is a wanted figure, but if Hasbro put Revan back out in one case, that would probably satisfy most of the demand if not all. Thus, that extra Revan becomes practically worthless unless someone really wants it on that card.

In the end, if you're going to make an investment in this stuff, then you almost have to have every single piece put out by Hasbro, but that only works if you find someone who is looking to buy the whole colection at once. Once you start breaking it up, the lot becomes worth a lot less because the most wanted figures will go first and what's left over, you might have donate or give away in the end.

Reaction score
Re-selling modern SW toys is a joke- unless you flip them (aka scalp) when they are new and hot, you are wasting your time. I have spent years trying to unload mint items on ebay and because of the shipping costs, it often isn't worth doing because no one wants to pay the shipping costs anymore. Even selling on RS has slowed waaaay down since ROTS faded away. I will say that the main exception is international selling, but again you won't make your money back. I had fun collecting for years, but in my aggressive days, I spent a ton of money and time hitting up stores, going online, etc. and if I could get all that time/money back I gladly would (when I think of the vacations or home improvements that I could do with that cash). Even premium Gentle Giant stuff drops in value, as well as some ACME prints. Collect for fun, and don't expect to ever get your money back. I've been donating to Toys for Tots for years, and my kids are starting to open up what I still have at home- and that's the real reward.

Reaction score
Well said. I think people har that a certain new figure is going for $60 on ebay and think that the older figures must be worth a ton. However, like you said, a lot of premium stuff has fallen in value. Either there's too much of it already out there or there are no buyers at that price. A lot of people are considering themselves lucky when they can get $2 for a POTF2 figure that they paid a lot more for back in the 90s.

I think there are a few gems still out there, but not enough to cover the cost of the other stuff that was bought at the time.

Reaction score
Another factor is how much do you want to pay to store the items for the "years" it may take to sell it ? Will you sacrifice a room in your house/apartment or pay $50 a month for a storage unit-if you have extra money to spend, pay off your debt!

Reaction score
Another factor is how much do you want to pay to store the items for the "years" it may take to sell it ? Will you sacrifice a room in your house/apartment or pay $50 a month for a storage unit-if you have extra money to spend, pay off your debt!
Good point as well. If you have to pay $600 per year for storage space, then you'd have to add that into the cost equation at he end. Also, an extra room is not always something that your siginificant other is going to want and if you have kids and that extra room could be a room for one of them so they all have their own rooms, then that's something else as well.

Like any investment, you have to be careful that someone is actually going to want what you have later on. Also, there will be some that will only want to cherry pick and once you start breaking up a series, that series would be worth less.

I think most people that are doing this as an investment are going to end up with a lot of plastic that they don't want at some point.

Reaction score
Isn't calling this hobby an "Investment" just a lie we tell others or maybe even ourselves to not make it seem weird that we spend so much money on toys? Even in the unlikely chance that you sell your collection for twice what you paid for it in 20 years, a real investment would normally return close to four times in that time period. Just enjoy the toys and if it isn't fun don't waste the time or money.

Reaction score
Enjoyment should be the real reason one collects. If someone is looking at this as an investment, I'd say they should take that extra money and find some else to invest in because you'll probably get more out of that investment than this one.

Also, if the figures start breaking down before you can sell them, then you've lost all your money anyway. I'm sure those green ROTS clones won't fetch much money in 20 years because no one will believe the green things left in the packages are actually clone troopers.

Reaction score
I've made plenty of money on buying and selling modern star wars items as well as other current toy lines. I usually double or triple my money. It's all about timing and psychology. I would argue the point that it is safer than stocks, but I bought Ford at $2.19 and can't complain about the market.

Reaction score
Enjoyment should be the real reason one collects. If someone is looking at this as an investment, I'd say they should take that extra money and find some else to invest in because you'll probably get more out of that investment than this one.
Yep that's pretty much how I feel about it. If you're going to collect something you need to love it. Collecting for the purpose of profit will lead to heartache more often than not. That's not to say some people don't (obviously they do), but I'd rather just enjoy myself. I don't want to think every time I pick something up "Am I going to make money on this?"

Reaction score
Yeah same here I collect because my love for Star Wars and the enjoyment it gives me when I get a new Sideshow/Efx etc items. If I need to sell something it's because I want a newer item that cost a lot of cash. I sold my entire Hasbro collection and used the money for my current Sideshow efx GG collections.

Reaction score
I say collect because you love it, not to get rich. As my father always says it is much easier to buy then to sell. In this day and age is is hard enough to break even on things (both high and lower end items). Vintage items will most likely hold their value better then modern things, but who can really tell what the market will be in the future and what the younger generation of collectors will be interested in (us original fans aren't getting any younger...)

Reaction score
I collect because i enjoy everything Star Wars, but tell everyone its an investment to hide the fact i'm a total geek. I do however buy to sell to gain funds for my main focus and normally gain a quick investment turnaround doing this.

Reaction score
I'd be a rich man if I didn't collect Star Wars (& Doctor Who) so needless to say I'm not looking at my collection(s) as an investment, I will keep them all my life..., once I'm gone someone else can make money out of them BUT me personally, I wouldn't have bought them if I didn't want what I've got & what's the point in collecting only to get rid of it!?! :|

Reaction score
Modern is good for fun collecting -but terrible idea for an investment.

I'd bet most anything on Vintage being where the money is. Even complete, good condition figures are getting harder to find.

Reaction score
Ok here is my two cents on investing in collectibles DONT. As most people have said collect because you love it and you cant go wrong.

Modern - Only way to make money on Modern is to sell when the item is HOT, because if you wait too long the toy company just produces another one. Here is a great example. Not SW though NECA Limited edition 5000 piece portal gun thing sold out in 30 seconds price shoots up. NECA launches another limited edition portal gun the multi player one (has a yellow stripe) 5000 hurts the price but this sells out in a minutes. So they release ANOTHER 5000 run of the other co op portal gun) blue stripe. This sells out and the value of the original still goes down and if that is not enough. They are releasing a fourth one that you can customize to look like any of the three that came before. This has happened on my Factory X thor hammer (released three time now different companies). If they dont release the EXACT same thing with slight paint difference another company releases something close enough. The hot toys batman tumbler just re released that was going for 2k I heard. As I mentioned had you sold when it was 2k and bought again the re release 469.00 you did well. Sold my soul of popyinca battleship yamato for $800.00 they released the soul of chogokin battleship yamato so I just re bought my soul of popyinca for $160.00. Only piece I ever sold for money and regretted it.

Vintage seems better investment but again as the older people start to fade out the reason vintage is so valuable is childhood memories. If the new crop didnt play with it not as valuable.

Even limited like a master replica (out of buisness) well EFX is really just the old master replica people so they can start pumping out limited editions like the luke reveal which is cooler than the ordinal in my opinion.

I mean right know the Kotobukiya star wars storm troopers are going for almost double MSRP but they are not a limited toy so koto could just start pumping them out again (which I am hoping they do). Since they haven't I am buying clone troopers.

As you can see from my long thread my opinion not the best investment. But if you love the item Soul of Popyinca battleship yamato Priceless to me

Reaction score
I've always felt that once something is deemed a collectible, it usually isn't (mostly becasue then it becomes a "business"and more about the numbers and the $)

Any industy that people collect the main variables areall the same: rarity, risk, price, supply, demand ...no matter what it is you collect the variables are all there. You have something that is super rare..and eveyone wants it...price will probably be high. Super rare, but no one wants it price will probably be lower. It's all simple economics.

I collect SW bcasue it is my passion, and I buy what I like. With that said, I'd be crazy (nor would I expect you to beleive me) if I said I didn't care what the value is, and that I didn't hope my collection would someday be worth something)

I don't know too many collectors that say "Boy I think I'll buy this today for $100 in hopes in 10 years it will be worth $20!" There's so much great stuff to buy I pick what love the most and hope for the best and that maybe 20 years from now it's value will actually appreciate. If things go well I'll be even happier. If things don't go so well, then so be it. I guess that's also the ups and downs and fun of collecting.

A company is in it for one thing..to make MONEY, and they'll do whatever they have to in order to succeed. I look at Hasbro... they view the secondary market as a competitor, so if they see things going online for a certain amont, and they think they can capitalize, I'm sure they will. Not saying it's bad OR good, just the way it is.

If there was a vintage furry ball that loked like chewbacca and there were plenty selling on ebay for $200 (demand)..you better beleive Hasbro is going to come out with a modern fuzzy ball that looks like chewbacca eventually. They'll capitalize, but that original vintage fuzzy ball is still rare, they just tried to maybe add a supply which will possible affect the demand in the market. Maybe it will, maybe it won't...who knows. Again, the fun of collecting.

I may want thevintage fuzzy ball and pay $200, I may wait and se fi the new supply will bring the price down, I may say "to heck with the old I can buy a new one cheaper, and be happy...again all different answers, no right or wrong...jsut different..and that's what's great. I don;t have to be told what I like...I already know what Ilike...and it may b different from what everyone else likes.

Collecting is great, and i think SW will be around forever..safe bet.

All I can say is don't get caught up in the "trends" don't let someone else dictate what you should like or want. Don't ply the short term game, or get sucked in to overnight "hype" for something and you should do OK. ...and have som fun!

Reaction score
Another issue with thinking your collection is investing then you cant enjoy it everything needs to be mint in box. I keep all my boxes but all my stuff gets unpacked and displayed thats why I collect.

Reaction score
I've always felt that once something is deemed a collectible, it usually isn't (mostly becasue then it becomes a "business"and more about the numbers and the $)

Any industy that people collect the main variables areall the same: rarity, risk, price, supply, demand ...no matter what it is you collect the variables are all there. You have something that is super rare..and eveyone wants it...price will probably be high. Super rare, but no one wants it price will probably be lower. It's all simple economics.

I collect SW bcasue it is my passion, and I buy what I like. With that said, I'd be crazy (nor would I expect you to beleive me) if I said I didn't care what the value is, and that I didn't hope my collection would someday be worth something)

I don't know too many collectors that say "Boy I think I'll buy this today for $100 in hopes in 10 years it will be worth $20!" There's so much great stuff to buy I pick what love the most and hope for the best and that maybe 20 years from now it's value will actually appreciate. If things go well I'll be even happier. If things don't go so well, then so be it. I guess that's also the ups and downs and fun of collecting.

A company is in it for one thing..to make MONEY, and they'll do whatever they have to in order to succeed. I look at Hasbro... they view the secondary market as a competitor, so if they see things going online for a certain amont, and they think they can capitalize, I'm sure they will. Not saying it's bad OR good, just the way it is.

If there was a vintage furry ball that loked like chewbacca and there were plenty selling on ebay for $200 (demand)..you better beleive Hasbro is going to come out with a modern fuzzy ball that looks like chewbacca eventually. They'll capitalize, but that original vintage fuzzy ball is still rare, they just tried to maybe add a supply which will possible affect the demand in the market. Maybe it will, maybe it won't...who knows. Again, the fun of collecting.

I may want thevintage fuzzy ball and pay $200, I may wait and se fi the new supply will bring the price down, I may say "to heck with the old I can buy a new one cheaper, and be happy...again all different answers, no right or wrong...jsut different..and that's what's great. I don;t have to be told what I like...I already know what Ilike...and it may b different from what everyone else likes.

Collecting is great, and i think SW will be around forever..safe bet.

All I can say is don't get caught up in the "trends" don't let someone else dictate what you should like or want. Don't ply the short term game, or get sucked in to overnight "hype" for something and you should do OK. ...and have som fun!
Great post my favorite lines
A company is in it for one thing..to make MONEY

All I can say is don't get caught up in the "trends"

Both are so true its chasing a trend like chasing a stock you NEVER want to be chasing. Know what you like, and are willing to pay and stick to your guns if you cant get exactly what you want they may re release the item or may release something that is pretty much the same thing just a little different but close enough

Reaction score
Honestly the best investment you could get if you're looking at Star Wars stuff are the Lego sets. Unopened UCS Star Destroyers, Millennium Falcons sell for over $1000. Many normal sets also can have ridic prices, like the Cloud City set. Check out bricklink and ebay for yourself if you think im crazy.

Reaction score
Honestly the best investment you could get if you're looking at Star Wars stuff are the Lego sets. Unopened UCS Star Destroyers, Millennium Falcons sell for over $1000. Many normal sets also can have ridic prices, like the Cloud City set. Check out bricklink and ebay for yourself if you think im crazy.
I have actually seen that my issue is I always open, build and play with them...one thing with them is some times they re issue a set then the price can be hurt....Dont forget legos are not a limited edition.

I just picked up Xwing and Tie fighter and will get the republic frigate or malevolence. But I will build all

Reaction score
I think you can collect as an investment, but the problem is that chances are whatever you are collecting will devalue in time. This makes my point exactly:

Even Vintage is winding down, though. As the people who grew up with Vintage move on or pass on, you'll only be left with people who will collect off of it's reputation. Eventually, we will lose the core Vintage collectors and you'll be left with 20-somethings grabbing up figures "just because" with no real attachment whatsoever. This will bring down the prices.

I stick with vintage or neo-vintage (newer sculpts of old favorites) items, my one exception is my Clone Wars Y-wing that I talked myself into allowing into the collection. In 10-20 years some of my vintage stuff will be worth more than I paid, probably based on attrition more than anything else, but in 40 it's pretty doubtful since the people that grew up on the prequels and Clone wars will be after that sort of stuff. I might love my chunky Falcons, but people that never grew up having one as a kid probably won't and will want much nicer scuplts if they are into the original 3 (like the BMF and giant At At - I have both :whistling:) since by that time they will be vintage anyways.

To really collect for investment purposes you would pretty much have to buy everything that they put out SW toy related regardless of the era/genre, keep it boxed, and hope for the best in 20 years. Me, I collect what I like and try to buy in bulk and sell or trade the leftovers so that what I keep costs me little or nothing. Sometimes you can even make a few dollars extra doing it that way. That is probably the best way to collect what you love as an investment since there is little initial investment, gives a greater chance at profit (part of my formula). I have much less invested monetarily in my collection than you would think by looking at it, so that gives me a greater chance at profits down the road if I upgrade, change focus, buy a house, whatever. But it does take some extra time and effort to do it that way. Easier to justify it the wife though.....

Reaction score
I would think most collectors on this site obviously do it for the love of the toys, movies, etc....not the percieved expectation of future value....
however, with that being said....i disagree with a lot said in this thread...
I don't see how the market or demand is going anywhere for star wars and particularly vintage.
With new movies coming out in the next few years ( combined with the recent trilogy ) there is/will be entire new generations who fall in love
with star wars and will want to collect them for the same love we have....
The value of all vintage, especially MOC ( since they are losing out to sorry *** U graders, etc... are becoming harder to find ) ....they will only increase as time goes by i.m.o.

Reaction score
Agreed that there will be more generations to experience Star Wars -which is great. However, Hasbro and other licensees will continue to produce truckloads of crap and will flood the market for lifetimes to come.