Surgical Droid 2-1B - #06 (08)

Reaction score
Re: ROTS 2-1B #08-06

The new 2-1B figure is the perfect size...to perform surgery on an Oompa-Loompa.

Reaction score

So.. Im guessing the PotF2 He-Man Han Luke and Chewie, heck even 3PO.. Lando, Stormtroopers and Vader and Dog face Leia are also in universe accurate too...

just playin' DL

Reaction score

JoeRhyno said:
So.. Im guessing the PotF2 He-Man Han Luke and Chewie, heck even 3PO.. Lando, Stormtroopers and Vader and Dog face Leia are also in universe accurate too...

just playin' DL

HAH!!!!!! Good one!!!!

Reaction score

I'm thinking that this ROTS 2-1B might be more accurate to scale than most are thinking. Does anyone have a good screen capture of the operation scene (that shows 2-1B in comparison to the table and the other droids). It may just be a matter of our eyes decieving us. The 2-1B from ESB was a prop where as the ROTS 2-1B was CG. The CG model might be A LOT smaller in scale to the prop. I'm too lazy to look right now, but maybe later I'll pop ROTS in and look at the scene again. I have the figure here next to me, and I have to say regardless of the scale the figure is AMAZING. GREAT sculpt. I am still curious about the scale though...

Rup

Reaction score

I just got this figure. It is very nice. But still smaller than I expected (even after reading this thread).

A great figure, I just feel underwhelmed.

Reaction score

ugh such negativity. i see no problems with 2-1B. i wish i could find any of this wave around here sure, but so far everything looks great on him to me!

Reaction score

Cmon, this is a TOY, not a replica. You want a replica, go get eFX to make one
. They have a wishlist on their forums. Lets just be happy it's made. Like it, buy it. Dislike it, don't bother about it. It's made, it's a done deal. There's no point nagging about something that will never change

Reaction score

OFF TOPIC, sorry, but I could not resist to share this fantastic robot.

Reaction score

I found it browsing the net, and appeared under:
Eric Hall the Toy Guy Robot - and is hand made, and apparently only one exists.
I thought it was so cool looking.

Reaction score

That droid is SWEET!

Okay, back to the updates....

2-1B (SURGICAL DROID) is now added to the Photo Archive:

Enjoy!

Sev

Reaction score

This figure has a great execution but it's not something I desire. I'll pass on it.

Reaction score

I can't help it, but I just have a soft spot in my collecting psyche for this figure. The vintage 2-1B was one of my favorite figures when I was growing up. And this one is just a great improvement. I might even get two (one for Vader's lab table, the other for Luke's Bacta tank).

Reaction score

Have mercy I would have never thought such a detailed heated discussion could result about an insignificant (relatively speaking compared to major characters) medical droid shown oly briefly in a couple movies.
That being said, my first impression of the new figures was "Wow, awesome sculpt and articulation, but boy he's a wee little thing."
It does seem small, and the POTF2 does seem more scaling correct, despite many POTF2 figures being a bit off scale; Vader, Chewbacca, Leia, etc. And I think the best point is the text that indicates that this new 2-1B droid is not the same exact 2-1B that worked on Luke on Hoth and the frigate and examined the dead Taun-Taun. Especailly considering that those events were seperated by about 23 years from Anakin being reconstructed into Vader (don't know the exact number of years). So really, seperated by years or maybe a decade or two, is it possible that, since they were different droids, maybe the 2-1B in ESB is a slightly larger, while very similar looking, model of medical droid? That would make sense that since it was made years later, it was larger than the one in ROTS that worked on Anakin/Vader, since that was an older model. It wouldd have been a lot easier if the names were more individual to clearly illustrate that they were different droids, though similar models, seperated by several years or a decade or two, though it's doubtful that the 2-1B in ESB was a "newish" droid, since the rebels had very little that was new until the fleet built up strength in ROTJ. The firt couple movies, they clearly had to make due with what they could scrounge, which meant old.

In any event I think the things you found about the base are really interesting, and make a lot of sense. Especailly considering the time and budget constraints that Lucas and his people had with the first two movies. So many things were never ready on time, I just can't see several people, even just a couple, going to all the time and trouble; many hours and no telling how many hundreds of dollars of materials, to complete an obscure droid character (I think everyone could agree with that), right down to the ground, with a rolling (implied since he sure wasn't being carried around from place to place) platform, painted, weathered and made in such great detail to match the droid itself. Especailly since it got little if any screen time ever. I just don't see them doing that. You have to imagine at some point, someone making 2-1B had to have asked something like "how far down will this droid need to be built for shots sake, half way, or all the way to show the whole droid?" And the fact that it (the actual movie prop) was built in detail all the way to the ground, with the rolling platform made to match the droid, not just bare prop wood frame, really indicates that it is part of the droid. Otherwise, there woudln't have been a platform at all, it would have just legs that go to the ground with feet and it would be an immobile (as a prop) droid with legs and feet that (in the movie) would walk around like a human, on two feet if it did. The fact that the platform base is there and matches the 2-1B droid, really indicates that it's part of the droid and that it is the means of locomotion. And really, when you look at the droid, it doesn't look like the most graceful thing in the world. I wouldn't want it poking on me on a litter being hustled through uneven hallways on the way to a medical bay. It wouldn't be very fast either on those kind of legs, and someone could bleed to death if he was having to get to them on those legs. A treadmill platform would move a lot faster. Though maybe it was both and it could detach from the platform and walk slowly, when in a tight space or in a room it knew it wouldn't be leaving for a while, and then when it had to go long distances, it reattached to the platform and used that. That would make sense too. So it seems like the new figures arms, on the POTF2 2-1B, and a platform for the POTF2 figure to sit on would be the most accurate 2-1B figure, the one that worked on Luke on Hoth and the frigate anyway.

Wow that's more than I'd of ever thought I'd type about 2-1B in my whole life.

Reaction score

Actually it's been established that that is not accurate. Mark Hammil, thereby Luke, is 5'9", not 5'7", and the actual documented height of the 2-1B prop from ESB put it somewhere between 5'10" and 5'11". 2-1B is actually taller than Mark Hammil/Luke Skywalker, even if the character of Luke is supposed to be shorter than Mark Hammil is, either way, 2-1B is between one and 3 inches taller than Luke, but this figure is not supposed to be the 2-1B medical droid that worked on Luke on Hoth and the Rebel frigate in ESB, it's the one that worked on Vader at the end of ROTS, and they were different models most likely. So it's a great figure to represent that droid in ROTS, but it's scaled too small to accurately be 2-1B from ESB, not just height, but it's scale in general, this new figure just isn't scaled as accurately as the POTF2 2-1B. Typically it's the other way around that POTF2 figures are not scaled quite right, but in this case, that 2-1B is about right, either equal height as most Luke figures, or just a tiny bit taller, since one to thre actual inches, scaled down to a 4 inch figure is a REALLY small scale.

GNT

Reaction score
Im looking forward to this one hanging on the shelves soon enough and hopefully within the next year we'll see an ESB version as well.

Reaction score
Additional photos have been added:

I'm sure the medical and surgical droids would have done a MUCH better job of working on Darth Vader if they could only REACH THE TABLE!!!

GNT

Reaction score
Mr Curto said:
I'm sure the medical and surgical droids would have done a MUCH better job of working on Darth Vader if they could only REACH THE TABLE!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Looking at that picture the table does look way to high, no wonder the droids couldnt fine tune his breathing problem

Reaction score
Ha!
Maybe that's why Vader ends up sporting that lovely gash scar on his head - the 2-1B droid was on his tippy toes when it was trying to give him an injection & he slipped with the needle, slicing into poor Anakin's head!

Reaction score
Mr Curto said:
Additional photos have been added: (pictures and stuff)
Oh no, I just found out that if you modify the text in the photo URL (for example blahblahblah.whatever/TAC080621BVader3.jpg&text=''NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!'' ) you can make the picture say what ever you want. Time for hilariousness!

And in all seriousness, that 2-1B is scrawny looking. The table is either way out of scale or the droids are. Take your pick.

Reaction score
Mr Curto, your pictures which were always great, are getting better and better.

Nice catch on the text thing...here's my take:

Reaction score
While small, I like this guy alot. Picking him up prompted me to grab a bacta tank Luke and FX-7 loose off of ebay.

Reaction score
CantThinkOfAName said:
Mr Curto said:
Additional photos have been added: (pictures and stuff)
Oh no, I just found out that if you modify the text in the photo URL (for example blahblahblah.whatever/TAC080621BVader3.jpg&text=''NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!'' ) you can make the picture say what ever you want. Time for hilariousness!

And in all seriousness, that 2-1B is scrawny looking. The table is either way out of scale or the droids are. Take your pick.

I made some funny pics for my screen-saver doing this!

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that there are two 2-1B droids in the "Building Vader" scene? I just noticed the other tonight in the first shot looking down upon crispy Vader on the operating table. There is one working on Vader, and another working at a control panel on the bottom left of the screen. And, despite having feet, the droid turns and rolls away in the next shot.

Maybe I need to buy 2 of these guys!

Reaction score
A fine example of how Hasbro is more than capable of engineering the elusive realistic SA Battle Droid.

Reaction score
Mr Curto said:
Additional photos have been added:
Evidently, Anakin didn't just get back from prosthetic surgery, but from getting the best tan in LA.

Reaction score
I got mine at Wal-Mart Saturday. The only one I ever seen at retail so far. He is very cool. A little short. But cool.
But I find it odd that "2-1B" is the name of the series of droids. So we have this Imperial 2-1B and then the Rebel Alliance 2-1B later in the series. By instinct I thought of this 2-1B as the old 2-1B. But he is most likely Palaptine personal 2-1B to get used for something as important as saving Anakin who was very valuable to Palapatine.

Reaction score
While I think this figure is great, we arent getting much for the pricetag - it would have been nice to get an accessory or even one of the small medical droids that was hovering around Vader in this scene...