Stranger Things Season 3

Reaction score
I am dying to see the new season of Stranger Things. The official teaser was released yesterday. I know that at the end of the teaser it said Next summer, but I'm hoping that they can get it done sooner. Love this show.

Reaction score
I like how at the end of that teaser it said that it was coming soon, and then it said next summer, and I thought “you and I have a very different definition of the word soon, Netflix.

Reaction score
I'm going to assume some awesome action scene is going to happen in Starcourt Mall after hours when the lights are turned down low. B)

GNT

Reaction score
Great season, the only disappointing factor is that I want more episodes and the wait for next season will probably be a year away! Loved it.

Reaction score
Very much so enjoyed it, but I will say, my least favorite season. Not that that's saying much, I absolutely loved it. Just one nitpick. A bit too much comedy, for me. Well really, it was only really one scene that bothered me. The Neverending Story gag was a bit...much...for my taste. Would have been fine with it if it was just a few lines of the song...but it just kept GOING AND GOING.

Reaction score
I kinda thought this season was lame e overall. It had it's good parts but I'd say the theme of the season was 'teenage feelings'. Steve and Robin on drugs was great, though!

Reaction score
SPOILER (highlight): What happens to Billy is sort of meta. They clearly saw that the character was not resonating with people or popular, so they found a way to both make you care and sympathize for him while also, well, getting rid of him.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It’s admittedly a fun Season. A tad too much cutesy fluff that’s too heavily reliant on nostalgia (Dustin’s duet with his GF is cute but just so OTT try-hard moment that it takes me out of the action sett), and not enough of the more intense tone that sold the story of the previous Seasons. And that makes it the weakest Season in terms of its story.

Every 80s-cliche I can think of is thrown in this Season, making it too gimmicky and full-on an 80s-tribute: Apparently even Alexei and Hopper’s “cherry slurpee” fight is ripped off/borrowed from— or an homage to an episode of The Golden Girls… The nostalgic trappings are just too much at times. Hoping that Season 4 will remember its more darker roots and not be so cutesy-fun and reign in the 80s-trope.

(And why is The Cutting Crew’s I just Died In Your Arms Tonight featured in a show set in 1985 when the song was released in 1986???? For a show that’s so reliant on its 80s nostalgia, such a mistake should have been easily corrected. Unless they just didn’t care.)

Reaction score
It’s admittedly a fun Season. A tad too much cutesy fluff that’s too heavily reliant on nostalgia (Dustin’s duet with his GF is cute but just so OTT try-hard moment that it takes me out of the action sett), and not enough of the more intense tone that sold the story of the previous Seasons. And that makes it the weakest Season in terms of its story.

Every 80s-cliche I can think of is thrown in this Season, making it too gimmicky and full-on an 80s-tribute: Apparently even Alexei and Hopper’s “cherry slurpee” fight is ripped off/borrowed from— or an homage to an episode of The Golden Girls… The nostalgic trappings are just too much at times. Hoping that Season 4 will remember its more darker roots and not be so cutesy-fun and reign in the 80s-trope.

(And why is The Cutting Crew’s I just Died In Your Arms Tonight featured in a show set in 1985 when the song was released in 1986???? For a show that’s so reliant on its 80s nostalgia, such a mistake should have been easily corrected. Unless they just didn’t care.)
I agree with every word. Don't get me wrong, I still greatly enjoyed this season...but it was the weak link for me so far. The 80's pop culture references felt more natural in the first two seasons, organic. This time around, some just felt forced. Like for example, Lucas's Coke commercial (calling it product placement would imply it's at least somewhat subtle like Hopper and co. eating Burger King) or the Neverending Story song. The song totally undercut the seriousness of the scene. Like I said, I would have been fine if it was a LINE of dialogue from the song but...an ENTIRE SPLIT SCREEN BALLAD OF THE ENTIRE SONG?! REALLY?! Prior seasons, they felt like they were inserted into a scene for fun. Now entire scenes feel created just FOR the reference.

Last edited:
Reaction score
^^^ LOL @the blatant product placement… now with added scenes built around the product!

It’s unfortunate that it’s the 80s-tropes that are overriding the story here. Because once the novelty wears off, it’s not that fun anymore. But it really shows what a solid cast, and what a naturally electrifying vibe they all have with one another when they can make such silly gimmicks a fun ride. (Take note Disney when it comes to your SW.)

Now let’s please move on from That 80’s Show come Season 4… (And I'm glad the post-credit sneak peek seems to suggest a return to form for at least one important element of the show, because— this Season’s monster was really… goofy.)

Reaction score
^^^ LOL @the blatant product placement… now with added scenes built around the product!

It’s unfortunate that it’s the 80s-tropes that are overriding the story here. Because once the novelty wears off, it’s not that fun anymore. But it really shows what a solid cast, and what a naturally electrifying vibe they all have with one another when they can make such silly gimmicks a fun ride. (Take note Disney when it comes to your SW.)

Now let’s please move on from That 80’s Show come Season 4… (And I'm glad the post-credit sneak peek seems to suggest a return to form for at least one important element of the show, because— this Season’s monster was really… goofy.)
Well exactly, like I said...the first two seasons had 80's references that (for me) felt organically inserted into the scenes. Here is just feels like a game of 80's reference Mad Libs. Now granted, some of them absolutely did still work...but this is the first season where I felt some of it also didn't work. It felt like a gimmick.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Loved it, great action, nice mix of comedy. cant wait for the next season. Absolutly nothing wrong for my taste.There was only one tiny thing I was wondering, when Steve and Robin are asking for a job at the videostore, and the guy asks whats Steves favourite movies. Did they really call the first Star Wars movie, A new Hope already in 85 ? I thought this title was attached a bit later ;)

Reaction score
the very first version of SW with "A New Hope" in the title, was released as part of a Double Feature (c/w the Empire Strikes Back 're-release') in 1981.

but most people didn't see it (having already seen the original theatrical releases in 1977 & 1980, it wasn't widely remembered)

the change was cemented into people's minds in 1985 when the original movie was released on VHS.

(for my money, 1985 was the very first time I saw "A New Hope" in the title -- I did not attend the "double feature" re-release in 1981).

so technically, the change happened in 1981. but this was NOT a part of 1980's "pop culture" -- most people still called it "star wars" in 1985

Last edited:
Reaction score
the very first version of SW with "A New Hope" in the title, was released as part of a Double Feature (c/w the Empire Strikes Back 're-release') in 1981.

but most people didn't see it (having already seen the original theatrical releases in 1977 & 1980, it wasn't widely remembered)

the change was cemented into people's minds in 1985 when the original movie was released on VHS.

(for my money, 1985 was the very first time I saw "A New Hope" in the title -- I did not attend the "double feature" re-release in 1981).

so technically, the change happened in 1981. but this was NOT a part of 1980's "pop culture" -- most people still called it "star wars" in 1985
Might be the point though. I mean they're emphasizing two things, the guy is an UBER nerd AND works in a video rental store. If anyone would know, it would be him. But wait...then again...was he the one who said it or did Steve?

Reaction score
^^^ Absolutely. It’s the Butt-Head-looking clerk who asks Steve “Which one? ANH…?… Steve doesn't know/care-- he just says “Star Wars (You know— the one with the teddybears, of course!)”.

The casting director deserves an award for this stellar cast, down to the extras. The Butt-Head-looking clerk at the video store was also working at the arcade in Season 2. He has to come back in Season 4— working at a Toys”R” Us/Comicshop. And Steve— who’s always been this goofy-looking guy trying to act cool, but totally lovable, is just wearing his little sailor costume throughout the entire Season LOL With bigger hair than before. His hair has to get bigger in Season 4...

Reaction score
Steve is totally one of (if not) my favorite characters. A lot of people say he's such a ******bag in season 1, but really you see him beginning to transform even then. But once you get to season 2, he's really the star role for me. He's hysterical, charming, caring, and straight-up ******!

Reaction score
^^^ Every single character is solid. Even if they’re not as good— like Billy or Max, they’re still solid. Not a single character— even the minor ones/extras, that I find annoying and drags the momentum. With Steve being one of the most multi-dimensional and relatable characters. He’s always been a nice guy: In Season 1, it was him that gave Jonathan a new camera for Christmas after breaking it in an earlier episode. But he had Nancy give it to Jonathan. It’s a very real and genuine gesture from someone who cares but doesn’t want the other person to know that he does care. And he was absolutely hilarious in this current Season. Joe’s facial expressions and features and comic timing is brilliant. They couldn’t cast a better “Steve”.

The cast is why I can effortlessly tolerate the cutesy-fluff: the bumbling, high-as-f*ck scene with Steve/Robin that went onfor too long and the Dustin/Suzie duet rammed right into the a more pivotal moment. It’s so silly and would verge on obnoxious for a lesser cast (and director), but they make it work so effortlessly.

Now contrast that with someone like… Prince Charming epitomized, Rian Johnson. Every single character is annoying, obnoxious and a total b*tch in TLJ. There’s not a trace of warmth, charm and humanity in these caricatures— and in the case of POC, borderline-racist caricatures. And that goes for JJ as well. You know, if the Duffer brothers helmed a SW story, with a similar tone to characterization and story beat as Stranger Things, I would still feel it’s the wrong direction for SW, but… it would likely be clever, charming and genuine fun. Because there’s talent there.

(BTW, I adore when they get the soundtrack so perfect for a specific scene. In Season 1, after Jonathan rescues Nancy from going through the hollow of a tree in the forest to lure out the Demigorgon, there’s this fairy tale vibe to it all and the episode ends… followed by Echo & The Bunnymen’s "Nocturnal Me”. Just surreal, Gothy-perfection. Come Season 4 in 1986, they must include Furniture’s "Brilliant Mind”...)

Utinniii

Reaction score
I enjoyed this season although it took me more than half of the episodes before I felt a lot of excitement. It wasn't because it was bad, but rather that there weren't really any mysteries like in the first season. I knew the plot outline for this season from how episode one played out.

I think I would rather the Duffer Bros not make another ST but instead make a horror anthology. That way, it would be surprising each season. This season ended as a good season finale.

I thought the characters were overall pretty good. Will was the weakest (again) but I did like the way he was outed.

I enjoyed a lot of the 80's references and realized that if I was more of a nerd that I probably would have seen even more. 2 high points were the Phillip Glass music and seeing the surfer Gumby Tee I owned in the 80's.

Some were forced and some telegraphed what would happen next. For example, when Hopper was fighting the Russian near the spinning blade, the way he spat and raised his fists made me laugh at the Indy reference. That was great. However, like Dustin's duet, the homage went on too long and I knew how this fight would play out.

Some were great though like Stevie holding Phebe Cates in the video store. Some tied directly into the story although some might only be created in the viewer's mind. For example, they mentioned Gumby and then they had the Tee. Gumby was a surfer, just like the vision of a young Billy. Did I create that connection or did they?

Any guesses as to who the "American" is? (Aside from the very obvious choice)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Any guesses as to who the "American" is? (Aside from the very obvious choice)
I read a theory that it's Brenner. It goes that he somehow gets into the Upside Down to escape the Demagorgen and somehow the Soviets find him while conducting their own experiments to access this other dimension. In exchange for his life he has been helping their research.

As for this season I really enjoyed it. Tough to say how I would rank each season but I'll do a re-watch to help digest it.

Reaction score
It’s safe to conclude Hopper didn’t “die”. He’s one of the consistently complex, unshakable characters in the show: A show that’s filled with solid characters, so that’s saying a lot for Hopper/Harbour. But the revelation that there’s an imprisoned “American” is meant to instantly give the impression it’s him— although it could very well be Brenner. It’s not my preference, since— how does one survive an attack by that monster??? But this duo knows how to write and direct, and will likely pull it off, even revealing more about Brenner’s (supernatural) capabilities than previously shown. It’ll be fun.

What’s more intriguing— and the stronger cliffhanger of Season 3 is, that the Soviet also succeeded in opening the portal. And if the show, at least part of it will take place in The Soviet Union, then that’s a great welcome since we’re likely spared the pop culture trappings that Season 3 was just a tad (too much) reliant on. At least get out of Hawkins (but not with the punky crew of Season 2, please)…

I’d place this Season tied with Season 2 (the punky crew being the weakest link that dragged down that Season. And the 80s-pop culture overload being the weakest link for Season 3), with Season 1 still the best.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd assumed it was Hopper too, but I do agree...it does seem almost too blatantly obvious. Truthfully, I was like..."Wait...who's Brenner?" I had to look it up. I def. know the character of course, I just forgot the name. While I do think Season 3 is the weakest over-all, my least favorite episode (and apparently pretty much everyones) is the punk crew episode in Season 2. By far! It just didn't mesh. At all! Which I heard is exactly why it's not remotely mentioned or those characters explored in Season 3. Apparently the Duffers are aware that episode was NOT received well. Season 1 is def. still the best of, but I do think Season 2 (outside of that one episode) is nearly equal. I love the Aliens parallels, one of my all-time favorite films.

Last edited:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Yeah, I preferred season 2 a bit more (and actually liked the punky crew!) and felt that El was not as strong of a character as she was in 2. It's like they said let's make her a typical teenager instead of the arc she was on in the previous 2 seasons.

Reaction score
So Season 3 of Stranger Things is supposed to take place during the summer of 1984?

Then whats up with everyone seeing Back to the Future at the theater? the movie came out in 1985.

Duffer Brothers messed up big time

Reaction score
While I do think Season 3 is the weakest over-all, my least favorite episode (and apparently pretty much everyones) is the punk crew episode in Season 2. By far! It just didn't mesh. At all! Which I heard is exactly why it's not remotely mentioned or those characters explored in Season 3. Apparently the Duffers are aware that episode was NOT received well.
Writers/directors who listen to the criticisms of the show, and take it in a constructive manner for the better of their work…??? Rather than antagonize and mock the fandom. Wow— what a great, mature attitude… Who’d have thunk?!?!?

I just took it as the punky kids being Eleven trying out a new clique— as many at that age go through. You know the ones— and we’ve all seen it happen in school: When you first meet them they’re the polite, quiet introverted girls, still dressing like their mums do all their shopping; the next year they come back from summer as faux-punk cuz they went to an Avril Lavigne performance at the mall; then the next year they dress like they’re from The Hills cuz they spent the summer in Calabasas… I don’t mind seeing El try all these different attitudes since she is a teen girl, and she’s shown the full spectrum of behaviour; from innocence (Season 1), to arrogant and angsty (Season 2), to her more mainstream teenybopper phase in Season 3. Wonderful characterization.

(There’s a sheepishly clever scene in Season 2, with Jonathan trying to talk to a Goth girl in full Siouxsie Sioux facepaint at a house party, and asks if she’s into KISS LOL …It’s these little flourishes in details that gives the show that extra boost of charm.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Writers/directors who listen to the criticisms of the show, and take it in a constructive manner for the better of their work…??? Rather than antagonize and mock the fandom. Wow— what a great, mature attitude… Who’d have thunk?!?!?

I just took it as the punky kids being Eleven trying out a new clique— as many at that age go through. You know the ones— and we’ve all seen it happen in school: When you first meet them they’re the polite, quiet introverted girls, still dressing like their mums do all their shopping; the next year they come back from summer as faux-punk cuz they went to an Avril Lavigne performance at the mall; then the next year they dress like they’re from The Hills cuz they spent the summer in Calabasas… I don’t mind seeing El try all these different attitudes since she is a teen girl, and she’s shown the full spectrum of behaviour; from innocence (Season 1), to arrogant and angsty (Season 2), to her more mainstream teenybopper phase in Season 3. Wonderful characterization.

(There’s a sheepishly clever scene in Season 2, with Jonathan trying to talk to a Goth girl in full Siouxsie Sioux facepaint at a house party, and asks if she’s into KISS LOL …It’s these little flourishes in details that gives the show that extra boost of charm.)
Yes The_Chosen_1 is spot on, it does say it takes place in 1985, so the Back to the Future viewing is accurate. But sometimes those details are easy to miss, so I get it. Plus I'll be honest though, I'm not a total stickler for like the reference has to be SPOT ON accurate to the actual time. As long as it's close, I can let it slide. It's not the point of the story, by any means.

But yes, Farmer, totally agree that Eleven's growth makes sense as far as a teenage girls development. I can let not pin-point accurate 80's pop culture reference slip, but I can't let character stuff go. I think they nailed it pretty well. I myself and likely most of use went through a sort of identity crisis situation through those years. Heck I even abandoned Star Wars and comics for a time because I was an "adult," that's "kids stuff," right? I think every kid goes through that. So it seemed really genuine to me in how it was written, even if I didn't much care for the punk crew.

Reaction score
But yes, Farmer, totally agree that Eleven's growth makes sense as far as a teenage girls development. I can let not pin-point accurate 80's pop culture reference slip, but I can't let character stuff go. I think they nailed it pretty well. I myself and likely most of use went through a sort of identity crisis situation through those years. Heck I even abandoned Star Wars and comics for a time because I was an "adult," that's "kids stuff," right? I think every kid goes through that. So it seemed really genuine to me in how it was written, even if I didn't much care for the punk crew.
Getting minor details wrong— most notably songs that were released a year or so later than the year that they’re supposed to be from, is just a minor nitpick, and doesn’t ruin the show the least. Most, if not all the time, they get their 80s-details spot on. And they definitely go beyond sometimes, so they do know their stuff. (I sort of adore and stan that Dustin is infatuated with Phoebe Cates in 1985 LOL She seems sort of an obscure choice, but that only makes Dustin more real. Although I hope that Suzie isn’t added to the crew in Season 4. She’s already pushing my tolerance level in her very limited appearance.)

You know, JJ’s Super 8 sort of had that charm in the 1st Act… The kids, and admittedly JJ’s direction, were solid, initially. But post-train crash… it devolved into such a derivative mess, I can’t remember what happened, it was such a shame he couldn’t keep it together (and seems to be a pattern of his…). And as much as Stranger Things bears similarities to Super 8, it supersedes it in every imaginable way, keeping the momentum for nearly 30hrs through a span of 3 Seasons. That’s exhaustively impressive. Hopefully they can keep it going for the next Season. And more importantly at this point, know when to end it.

Reaction score
Getting minor details wrong— most notably songs that were released a year or so later than the year that they’re supposed to be from, is just a minor nitpick, and doesn’t ruin the show the least. Most, if not all the time, they get their 80s-details spot on. And they definitely go beyond sometimes, so they do know their stuff. (I sort of adore and stan that Dustin is infatuated with Phoebe Cates in 1985 LOL She seems sort of an obscure choice, but that only makes Dustin more real. Although I hope that Suzie isn’t added to the crew in Season 4. She’s already pushing my tolerance level in her very limited appearance.)

You know, JJ’s Super 8 sort of had that charm in the 1st Act… The kids, and admittedly JJ’s direction, were solid, initially. But post-train crash… it devolved into such a derivative mess, I can’t remember what happened, it was such a shame he couldn’t keep it together (and seems to be a pattern of his…). And as much as Stranger Things bears similarities to Super 8, it supersedes it in every imaginable way, keeping the momentum for nearly 30hrs through a span of 3 Seasons. That’s exhaustively impressive. Hopefully they can keep it going for the next Season. And more importantly at this point, know when to end it.
I am SO with you on Suzie! I had a slew of mixed emotions with her scene. At first, I thought the reveal that "TADA...SHE IS REAL!" was great! But then she, well, spoke. Was it just me or did she come off like an obnoxious caricature of a nerd, some cheap cliche you'd see on Big Bang Theory, instead of a Stranger Things character? Then the long-winded love ballad happens and I was having an awfully hard time swallowing it all. What's kind of funny is the response to this scene. I love The Neverending Story, even the book, but my nostalgia didn't blind me. I just didn't like it. It seems like it's either peoples FAVORITE moment of Season 3 (I've seen so many people on my friends list calling this moment in particular the best moment) or it's their LEAST FAVORITE moment of Season 3. For me, I'm in the "least favorite" camp. So I'm hoping she's a one and done character, but if Lucas's sister is any indication, going from basically glorified extra bumped up to large presence, I don't think we're done with Suzie.

Aw see I actually liked Super 8, in many ways it absolutely is the proto-Stranger Things. However, I can't deny, it is absolutely derivative. That's basically J.J.'s shtick. He really pushes the limits of what is classified as homage and what classifies as plagiarism. Look at his Star Wars, his Star Trek, Cloverfield, I'm sincerely half expecting this Spider-Man comic to have Mary Jane kidnapped by the Green Goblin and thrown off a bridge only for Peter to botch her rescue and accidentally snap her neck. Hah! I mean no two ways about it, Super 8 has scenes blatantly aping Jurassic Park, E.T., Close Encounters, and general Amblin heyday cinema. Some of the best films ever made! It's a love letter to Spielberg. So while I enjoy it, I can't deny it's more a tribute and less an original. Stranger Things, on the other hand, includes said references and elements that reflect films like E.T., Nightmare on Elm Street, Poltergeist, Aliens, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, general Stephen King media, etc., but it never feels like a rip-off. It's def. its own thing with just some generalized similar scenarios.

Last edited:
Reaction score
^^^ The masses sure love their basic, predictable, Disneyfied gimmicks: And therein lies why sassy Suzie and the duet is such a hit with them (people love their Carpool Karaoke). I mean, I still think it’s “cute”, but a one-off carpool karaoke is more than enough. With this show blowing up bigger every new Season— and this is the most commercial one yet, the pressure to appease the masses must be staggering for the showrunners… Hopefully they can work it out :sigh:

Erica was… tolerable. I’ve always adored Chris’ sister Tonya on Everybody Hates Chris— mainly because she’s on the right track to becoming THOT with massive attitude by the time she’s 14. Erica sort of had that vibe in Season 2, and in small doses, she’s ok... (and that she’s anti-Communist and pro-Capitalism must be a sharp stake to the heart for all the trendy PC-audience members LOL). But enough new kids on the block (and turning the show into kiddie Love Island where everyone’s paired off), so hopefully Erica and Suzie won't be around next Season. Max and Will are already the 3rd and 4th wheels this Season, they really don’t need any new additions to the crew. If anything, they need to start weeding out the weaker links (Max and Will).

(BTW, this guy makes a great point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zp03MXF9Cw&frags=pl,wn.The show would have been legend had it ended on Season 1 (but everyone knows that would never happen...). However, once he said “…for me, personally…” I couldn’t watch/listen anymore. For someone so articulate, he should’ve known better than to use such an grammitically-cringey term popularized by corporate actor-nerds from Collider.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Funny you posted that video, I actually also saw it and was going to post it too. Hah! Great minds think alike! Stranger Things is still quality, it's always been quality, but it's def. been increasingly mainstream IMO. The original felt created for a sort of niche audience. Horror fans, Amblin fans (most the followers of the show now likely don't even know what Amblin even is), and lovers of 80's pop culture. Now it feels more generically made. Like I said, a lot of the culture references in Season 1 felt organic, now they feel this need to build entire scenes around the reference and even explain what the reference is because the larger and more broader new audience itself...well...doesn't seem to know what the reference is. I'm waiting for the next season to have their equivalent of Ewoks, the moment when they sell out. They came awful close here, but I still think it predominately kept its dignity, it's just loosing a lot of its subtly and, well, horror aspects. It felt like they were originally sort of tweaking Goonies, but it was an adult version. Now it's delving into just straight up kids adventure and lacking in the actual scare department. I mean the literal Neverending Story song gag is played...during a crucial monster moment. Then you want to go back to the monster being terrifying? You literally just had two kids sing a ballad play over your main supernatural horror threat chasing in an attempt to kill half the cast. How are we supposed to really feel all THAT intimidated again? Any iota of frightening is thrown out the window. I still enjoy the show, but for those who can at least take note of the flaws in Season 2 and 3, there seems to be a popular belief that perhaps it would have been better to have gone an anthology series route. Honestly, I have to wonder, sort of like how the Halloween franchise was originally intended to be but Myers proved too popular. I think the show because a victim of its own popularity, sort of feeling obligated to continue the story of THESE characters. It wasn't really necessary, but I think they felt like they'd essentially be mobbed if they didn't. He even touches on how people felt it had to continue because of Will throwing up the slug...but why? Many horror stories end ambiguously, a play on the fear of the unknown. Heck that was a huge trend in Twilight Zone.

Also, my girlfriend brought up something I wanted to mention. She also agreed the writing, while still good, is getting somewhat cocky in its slight laziness. There's a sort of clique-like blind love for the show that will ignore aspects for the greater good. She mentioned something I likely should have caught, but didn't. So half the town is turned into The Blob-style mush and assimilated into the main Flayer body, right? Now for a time, during the Body Snatcher phase, the "possessed" hive-mind people attempt to assimilate back into their day to day lives, basically hide in plain sight. Of course people begin to notice they're acting oddly, but that appears to be about the extent of it outside the main cast. But...once they're all killed to form the Flayer's tangible body, wouldn't people noticed a boatload of missing people? Where's my son, my daughter, my wife, my husband, my girlfriend, my boyfriend, my brother, my sister, my best friend, my neighbor, my coworker, etc? Wouldn't that be on everyones mind? Now is that ever touched upon in the news program at the end of the episode, I can't remember? Was it mention "Reports of mass missing peoples in Hawkins," or something? Or is that just a mammoth plot-hole? Of course they could explain it in Season 4, but who knows?

Last edited:
Reaction score
^^^ Yes, they did address that 30 people died: It was done in a clever, news/tabloid-style montage segment. very tight and fast.: The impression is that the media has spun the Hawkins tragedy to the outside world as a town full of loons, fully immersed in whacky government conspiracy beliefs and small-town occult superstitions. Basically, they’ve written off the events of the town as crazies run amok. It’s a perfectly, and creatively acceptable conclusion.

The editing is amazingly lean and clean on this show. And the showrunners have been exceptional with their thoroughness and thoughtfulness— and likely, planning out the plot points in advance. It’s not illogical that the “American” held prisoner in the Soviet base could very well be Brenner and not Hopper, since in The Lost Sister episode, it’s revealed to El when she and the punky crew go hunting for those that worked for Brenner, that Brenner is actually still alive…

Reaction score
^^^ Yes, they did address that 30 people died: It was done in a clever, news/tabloid-style montage segment. very tight and fast.: The impression is that the media has spun the Hawkins tragedy to the outside world as a town full of loons, fully immersed in whacky government conspiracy beliefs and small-town occult superstitions. Basically, they’ve written off the events of the town as crazies run amok. It’s a perfectly, and creatively acceptable conclusion.

The editing is amazingly lean and clean on this show. And the showrunners have been exceptional with their thoroughness and thoughtfulness— and likely, planning out the plot points in advance. It’s not illogical that the “American” held prisoner in the Soviet base could very well be Brenner and not Hopper, since in The Lost Sister episode, it’s revealed to El when she and the punky crew go hunting for those that worked for Brenner, that Brenner is actually still alive…
Okay good, I totally missed that and when my girlfriend brought it up, I thought MAN that WOULD BE a HUGE plot hole. Glad they covered it and I just missed it is all. As for Hopper, I don't think he's dead, but I agree it seems almost too obvious it's him in the prison cell. It could be a bait and switch. I'm going to guess they made it so heavily appear to be Hopper that it's not. They lead you to believe he IS dead...again...only to then bait again and reveal he IS alive.

Reaction score
Coming late to this party - I just recently binge-watched ST S03. Excellent! I'm probably in the minority here, but this is definitely my favorite season of the three (so far). I enjoyed all of the '80's references & excellent '70's & '80's rock/pop soundtrack. And, I didn't mind that a song placement may have been slightly inaccurate (i.e., a song featured not being released until a later year, etc.)

This season definitely seemed more epic in scope than previous ones, and I liked the effects & character arcs. The monsters/creatures were very grotesque/menacing, and I liked the "Invasion of the body snatchers" aspect.

-The scene when Will was trying to get Lucas & Mike involved in the D&D campaign - even though they had obviously lost interest - was kind of sad, but also realistic. Most of the kids were pairing up (which you saw the beginnings of in previous seasons), and growing out of "childish" things.

-The popularity of "The Mall" as a hang-out place for the kids/teens brings back memories of that era. I know that in this season the Mall "taking over" the community was part of the sinister motivations of the "bad guys", but the truth is: Malls did come into communities & took away business from the smaller stores that had been established in the area for years beforehand.

That being said, Malls being popular are a thing of the past - thankfully; I always hated them. It's interesting that many of them around the country have actually gotten torn down/abandoned in the past 7-10 years. How times have changed.

-Very nice that Joyce Byers decided to adopt El, after Hopper had presumably been lost.

-The video store scene at the end (when Steve & Robin were trying to get jobs) was hilarious, and made it look like only those with an impressive knowledge of film would get hired at these stores - which couldn't be further from the truth. I.e., being a huge movie aficionado that definitely remembers video stores to a great extent, I thought it was funny that I (who never worked in one of these places) typically knew a lot more about film(s) than the employees did - LOL.

-I never thought that Dustin's girlfriend was imaginary, even when he first mentioned her. It would have been too obvious if that had been the case.

-It was an interesting "twist" to have Robin & Mike nothook up, which would have been totally predictable. I did mis-read her making fun of & berating him (for failing to hook up with the various female customers) and her various other good-natured insults - as interest on her part. When she later admitted who she really liked, I was surprised - which was obviously the whole point.

Some of my favorite homages:

-The various Aliens references were great!

-Erica (Lucas' little sister) wearing a dorky hat with flash-lights attached so she could see in the tunnel seemed like a homage to "Data" in Goonies - LOL.

-Hilarious that the Russian (who couldn't speak any English) referred to Hopper as a "Fat Rambo" - LOL.

-There was even a "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" (2009 comedy film) reference, when Robin, Steve, and Erica were stuck in the elevator - LOL.

I guess there will be a S04 (since S03 ended on a cliff-hanger), but not sure I want to see anything beyond that; they should definitely quit while they're ahead.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Coming late to this party - I just recently binge-watched ST S03. Excellent! I'm probably in the minority here, but this is definitely my favorite season of the three (so far). I enjoyed all of the '80's references & excellent '70's & '80's rock/pop soundtrack. And, I didn't mind that a song placement may have been slightly inaccurate (i.e., a song featured not being released until a later year, etc.)

This season definitely seemed more epic in scope than previous ones, and I liked the effects & character arcs. The monsters/creatures were very grotesque/menacing, and I liked the "Invasion of the body snatchers" aspect.

-The scene when Will was trying to get Lucas & Mike involved in the D&D campaign - even though they had obviously lost interest - was kind of sad, but also realistic. Most of the kids were pairing up (which you saw the beginnings of in previous seasons), and growing out of "childish" things.

-The popularity of "The Mall" as a hang-out place for the kids/teens brings back memories of that era. I know that in this season the Mall "taking over" the community was part of the sinister motivations of the "bad guys", but the truth is: Malls did come into communities & took away business from the smaller stores that had been established in the area for years beforehand.

That being said, Malls being popular are a thing of the past - thankfully; I always hated them. It's interesting that many of them around the country have actually gotten torn down/abandoned in the past 7-10 years. How times have changed.

-Very nice that Joyce Byers decided to adopt El, after Hopper had presumably been lost.

-The video store scene at the end (when Steve & Robin were trying to get jobs) was hilarious, and made it look like only those with an impressive knowledge of film would get hired at these stores - which couldn't be further from the truth. I.e., being a huge movie aficionado that definitely remembers video stores to a great extent, I thought it was funny that I (who never worked in one of these places) typically knew a lot more about film(s) than the employees did - LOL.

-I never thought that Dustin's girlfriend was imaginary, even when he first mentioned her. It would have been too obvious if that had been the case.

-It was an interesting "twist" to have Robin & Mike nothook up, which would have been totally predictable. I did mis-read her making fun of & berating him (for failing to hook up with the various female customers) and her various other good-natured insults - as interest on her part. When she later admitted who she really liked, I was surprised - which was obviously the whole point.

Some of my favorite homages:

-The various Aliens references were great!

-Erica (Lucas' little sister) wearing a dorky hat with flash-lights attached so she could see in the tunnel seemed like a homage to "Data" in Goonies - LOL.

-Hilarious that the Russian (who couldn't speak any English) referred to Hopper as a "Fat Rambo" - LOL.

-There was even a "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" (2009 comedy film) reference, when Robin, Steve, and Erica were stuck in the elevator - LOL.

I guess there will be a S04 (since S03 ended on a cliff-hanger), but not sure I want to see anything beyond that; they should definitely quit while they're ahead.
It's the weakest for me, but no doubt it's still darn great. I adore the show! It introduced some great new characters and ideas. I always love the throwbacks to classic films. Aliens was def. the main one for Season 2, but I caught the references in here too. But the one you didn't mention, did you catch that one Russian hitman is TOTALLY the Terminator? Even right down to, when Hopper hits his head off that gear work, him getting up is shot just like the reveal of him having a machine endoskeleton in Terminator. Shot exactly the same!

Reaction score
Season 3 felt disjointed to me. Almost like they had 4 different casts and 4 different plot points. You had Hopper and his group going about just searching for everything; Dustin, Steve and that group dealing with Russians... which was tired during the Cold War and felt even more tired in this; Working girl and Photo boy Nancy Drewin' it; and then the girlfriend stuff with Mike, Will, Lucas, Max, and El.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate the season or even dislike most of what was going on. The Mall stuff was nostalgic. The monster stuff was creepy and kept you wondering how long before they figure it all out. The only thing I didn't like was the Russians I guess... I liked the one Russian dude with Hopper. They never really gave a reason why they were there doing what they were doing unless I missed it, so it became a matter of 'it's the Russians again'. Someone had to be opening the hole I guess, and what better group then the 80's Cold War foil.

Still can't wait for Season 4. Hope they can pull some more magic out of their bag.