Still waiting for the digital release of Droids & Ewoks

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for the digital release of the Droids & Ewoks cartoons on SW.com - last year they mentioned that it was something they were looking into - lets have it. How about streaming all the episodes from both series and have them available for download - or put the complete seasons on Blu Ray / DVD so we can buy them already. :grin:

Reaction score
Agree 110%.. these shows (at the time I was a 12) were just about all there was for SW back then, other then the Ewok movies, which are and have been available. Droids was my first real dose (other than Marvel) of SW Easter eggs, and really fun & interesting linkage to the films. All the passing mentions of characters, locations, cameos, the architecture and ship designs, some heavyweight input like Ben Burtt, Daniels, and it really felt true to the OT. Ewoks were a li'l different, but it was still lotsa fun seeing all kinds of indigenous beasts from Endor, Morag, Duloks, etc.. These shows are sorely neglected, and I find myself scanning thru my DVD bootlegs & VHS sampler compilations more than my TCW season sets. They must be released officially, it's puzzling why they're not, plus there's really not alotta actual running time when you combine all the episodes, promos, Great Heep,etc. it could be squeezed on minimal physical BD/or DVD disc space, plus even easier for those interested as downloads.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am still waiting for these... I wanted to sit around with my neice and watch Ewoks. She is a huge Ewok fan but has never seen the original Ewok cartoons. So come on and get these out already. I want to show her something from my childhood

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd love to be able to finally have these in their entirety. The compilation disks only served to whet my appetite, not satisfy it. These shows are so much fun, and I hope they get them available to watch really soon.

Maybe if someone that reads these boards end up at Celebration Europe, they can peg some of the StarWars.com staff about it again if they run into them.

Reaction score
While I'm not sure 500 people would make a strong case for them go to the expense to release on Blu-Ray, I would definitely buy them!

Reaction score
While I'm not sure 500 people would make a strong case for them go to the expense to release on Blu-Ray, I would definitely buy them!
Well if you combine all the votes that want a Blu Ray / DVD or didnt specify, its 782 - thats pretty decent for one website, that ran this for a short period. Disney / LFL should run their own poll - I have no doubt that a survey run on Starwars.com would bring in thousands of votes.

Reaction score
I remember this announcement also. I think LFL forgot about this project. I would buy Droids in a heartbeat. Just for the Boba Fett episode. I head that episode was 'lost' but I'm sure LFL has a good library and they're all in storage somewhere.

Reaction score
While we're at it, we really need a Blu-Ray box set of Genndy Tartakovsky's original 2003-05 Clone Wars series.

Just put both the all three seasons (two hour-long films each) in crisp 1080p on one disc and include all the extras that came with both DVD releases in standard definition.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd buy the Tartakovsky series on BD, too. They did such an excellent job on them, I can imagine a high-def transfer would look fantastic.

Reaction score
I sent an email to Disney, which included the polling results. Hopefully they'll work with LFL to get Droids & Ewoks released...

Reaction score
Just curious, but since FOX currently handles the distribution for all the pre-Disney stuff, wouldn't it make sense to also send the info their way, too?

Reaction score
Release both series on DVD and/or Blu-Ray, please.

Preferably as one set, but I'd settle for seperate sets.

And don't forget the Great Heep special.

Reaction score
Dissapointed that there's still no word on the digital release of the Ewoks & Droids show, and/or a comprehensive DVD release. As has been discussed, at the last Celebration (last August, IIRC), it was announced that these shows would see a digital release on the official SW website at some point. However, no news since then.

A while back, I did see the Nevlana?! produced animated section from the Holiday Special (w/Boba Fett) on one of the SW Blu-ray DVD's (Special Features). The picture/sound quality was spectacular - I was very impressed that a cartoon that's over 30 years old could look that good. So, they just need to do the same thing with Ewoks & Droids....

Reaction score
Yeah, I loved watching the Boba Fett cartoon on my Saga BD's, too. It really is quite a good cartoon. As much as I'd love a complete release for the Holiday Special, I'm actually okay if the cartoon ends up being all we ever get in a legit release.

Reaction score
Yeah, the Holiday Special cartoon looked great digitally remastered - Droids & Ewoks should get the same treatment.

Reaction score
Don't think it's going to happen at this point. But I'd bet that Disney will fond a way to make money off these down the road. They are the masters of home video.

Reaction score
You know what cracks me up back in the day they put EVERYTHING on VHS/Beta EVERYTHING even if it wasn't good now they have better technology and it would be cheaper in the long run why not do it??? Those two DVD releases they changed the music and adding things instead of just mastering the originals.....Does that make sense? :confused:

Reaction score
Yeah, I get bouts of frustration every couple of months that these have never seen the light of day. I refuse to succumb to the bootleggers and pirates for this. I really wish someone at LFL would get the ball rolling on this, or at least give us a glimmer of hope on these coming out.

Reaction score
It wasn't released on VHS in the US, either. At least, not in it's entirety. The only place that got the whole series was Mexico, and tracking those tapes down is nigh-impossible.

Reaction score
...right it's a huge pain in the butt...is MX region 1?, or VHS/PAL/NTSC type prints?..and do they have Spanish subtitles, or are they totally dubbed over? I will say last year, I found a pirate dvd w/ cool label and all online, and it has all the Droids episodes, Great Heep, & commercials, it's awesome for like 12 bucks delivered. Love having them, if they won't kick in releasing them properly, what else can ya do. Ewoks I never found, other than the US VHS, and they're all mixed up and incomplete. Everyone's been screaming bout these forever it seems, we need them!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, I really want to see these Droids/Ewoks cartoons as well. I would prefer DVD/Blu-ray releases, but at this point would be more than happy with just viewing them online in a high-quality format on the SW website.

However, it's been a year now, and no new news at all regarding this. I'm guessing Lflm. have their hands full getting ready for Rebels (Fall 2014). In any case, here's hoping that we at least hear some type of official announcement soon regarding these cartoons. After all, it's been 28 years since they originally aired, and we still haven't gotten a comprehensive home video release in an acceptable format....

Last edited:
Reaction score
I too hope to eventually get a full episode release of both the Classic animated Droids and Ewoks episodes that I enjoyed on TV as a kid. I have the VHS versions, but only half of the episodes came out on VHS. Isn't it about time they get released on DVD or Blu?

Reaction score
I'm all for this. I remember someone had the first 10 droids episodes on YouTube. What happend to those??