StarWarsInterviews - site

Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
462
Reaction score
7
Location
the City of Light
Hi fellow scummers,

Some of you may know about my website StarWarsInterviews.
This site focuses on the stories cast & crew from the original Trilogy, the Prequels and the spin-offs have to tell.
There are 35+ interviews currently online now.

My latest interview was with the producer of ROTJ and Raiders of the Lost Ark: Howard Kazanjian.

We talked about a lot of previously lesser-known hings like the deleted ROTJ scenes, how he brought Ford on board and a lot more.

I hope you enjoy it!
 
Joined
Jun 27, 2006
Messages
1,605
Reaction score
0
Re: H.Kazanjian speaks about ROTJ @ StarWarsInterv

great interview. those scenes that were cut would have been great!
 
Joined
Oct 5, 2003
Messages
21,552
Reaction score
3
Location
Sausalito, CA
Re: H.Kazanjian speaks about ROTJ @ StarWarsInterv

Yes, thanks for sharing. That was definitely interesting and fun to read.
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
7,753
Reaction score
83
Location
BC Canada
Re: StarWarsInterviews: DAVE PROWSE speaks!

Excellent. Thanks for sharing. I can shed some light on some of the questions raised with Dave Prowse.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Originally Darth Vader was envisioned without his helmet. However, he needed the helmet to breathe in space while entering the Tantive 4, and because of the great looks the helmet was kept.

[/QUOTE]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
I have never heard about this.

[/QUOTE]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Well, there are photos of it.

[/QUOTE]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Are there? As far as I know they did everything to preserve my anonymity.

[/QUOTE]

It was Ralph McQuarrie who came up with the idea of Vader needing a helmet. It was a very early concept, and as far as I know, the idea of Vader being helmetless wasn't seriously considered after Lucas bought into Ralph's idea. That was in 1975, and principle shooting didn't start until 1976. I suspect that any photos around of Vader not wearing a helmet are simply Dave Prowse removing the helmet between shots. The photo you feature in the article of Dave Prowse without a helmet could easily have been snapped while going over lines, etc. Those costumes are darn hot & uncomfortable, and the costumed actors took every opporunity they could to catch some fresh air.


</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
In the Empire Strikes Back you also didn’t know the line ‘no Luke, I am your father’ was going to be in the movie. You said ‘No Luke, Obi-Wan is your father’.

[/QUOTE]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
No, I never said that. I just said ‘come and join me and the Dark Side’. I had no dialogue referring to Luke’s father.

[/QUOTE]

This scene can be seen in the documentary 'Empire of Dreams'. I believe Dave Prowse's script actually read something like "Ob-wan killed your father", not "Obi-wan is your father".

Leif
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
462
Reaction score
7
Location
the City of Light
Re: StarWarsInterviews: DAVE PROWSE speaks!

Leif_G said:
This scene can be seen in the documentary 'Empire of Dreams'. I believe Dave Prowse's script actually read something like "Ob-wan killed your father", not "Obi-wan is your father".

Leif
Correct. But, there are several sources that state that 'Obi-Wan is your father' was the line being spoken, while some state the 'killed' line.

If there's one person that knows it's Prowse himself, so we can conclude that both 'Obi-Wan' IS and 'Obi-Wan KILLED' weren't spoken.
Another SW mystery solved
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
7,753
Reaction score
83
Location
BC Canada
Re: StarWarsInterviews: DAVE PROWSE speaks!

ThinWhiteDuke said:
Correct. But, there are several sources that state that 'Obi-Wan is your father' was the line being spoken, while some state the 'killed' line.

If there's one person that knows it's Prowse himself...
Well it was Mark Hamill, the other actor on set, that claims Dave said "Obi-wan killed your father." I trust Mark's recollection of those events far more. To Dave, there was nothing special about shooting that scene. Mark Hamill knew what was going on, and that Dave's lines weren't correct. So he'd have likely formed stronger memories of the event; and, I know he's got a good memory in general. Some of his other trivial SW recollections have proved true.

Btw... re: the "Obi-wan is your father" line. If I were going into an interview with Dave Prowse, and was planning out my questions, I would have gone with the "obi-wan killed your father" line by Mark Hamill, over the "Obi-wan is your father" line. So I'm curious why you didn't.

(^^^ edited for clarity)


Also...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
When George was back in the USA he made the decision to dub all masked characters with American accents because he wanted everybody to know it was an American movie.

[/QUOTE]

The unmasked Wedge Antilles was dubbed as well.

Did Dave Prowse give any other reasons for his being dubbed?

I've asked Dave Prowse about why his voice was dubbed. His response to me was that James Earl Jones was hired because 'they' needed "black input" in Star Wars, out of concerns the 'black faction' in the US might boycott Star Wars. In 'Empire of Dreams', Jones states that 'they' needed a "darker" voice, "timbre, not ethnically". So I think Dave Prowse may have had his wires crossed on that one.

Leif
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
462
Reaction score
7
Location
the City of Light
Re: StarWarsInterviews: DAVE PROWSE speaks!

Leif_G said:
Btw... re: the "Obi-wan is your father" line. If I were going into an interview with Dave Prowse, and was planning out my questions, I would have gone with the "obi-wan killed your father" line by Mark Hamill, over the "Obi-wan is your father" line. So I'm curious why you didn't.
Because it was never my intention to find out which line was exactly spoken.
I wanted to know how he felt about this and what his view was.
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
7,753
Reaction score
83
Location
BC Canada
Re: StarWarsInterviews: DAVE PROWSE speaks!

ThinWhiteDuke said:
Because it was never my intention to find out which line was exactly spoken.
I wanted to know how he felt about this and what his view was.
Ah, so at the time, you believed he had actually said "obi-wan is your father"?

Leif
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
462
Reaction score
7
Location
the City of Light
Re: StarWarsInterviews: DAVE PROWSE speaks!

Leif_G said:
ThinWhiteDuke said:
Because it was never my intention to find out which line was exactly spoken.
I wanted to know how he felt about this and what his view was.
Ah, so at the time, you believed he had actually said "obi-wan is your father"?

Leif
No, I knew about the fact that not the 'I'm your father' line was spoken and that something else was said.
Which line exactly was said was something I didn't really care about that much. As said: I just wanted to find out what Prowse's view was.
 
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
1,353
Reaction score
0
Location
Minnesota
Re: StarWarsInterviews: DAVE PROWSE speaks!

Leif_G said:
ThinWhiteDuke said:
Because it was never my intention to find out which line was exactly spoken.
I wanted to know how he felt about this and what his view was.
Ah, so at the time, you believed he had actually said "obi-wan is your father"?

Leif
Are you really going to debate with him about something as insignificant as that? Just enjoy the interview.
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
7,753
Reaction score
83
Location
BC Canada
Re: StarWarsInterviews: DAVE PROWSE speaks!

ThinWhiteDuke said:
No, I knew about the fact that not the 'I'm your father' line was spoken and that something else was said.
Which line exactly was said was something I didn't really care about that much. As said: I just wanted to find out what Prowse's view was.
Cool, gotcha. Dave prowse has done a lot of good things with his SW fame, which is kind of nice to see. In the early 90 when I spoke with him, he was raising money for arthitis research. He's also pretty respectful of fans, which is nice. I know when I wrote him he responded right away.

Leif
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
7,753
Reaction score
83
Location
BC Canada
Re: StarWarsInterviews: DAVE PROWSE speaks!

AdmiralScreed said:
Are you really going to debate with him about something as insignificant as that?
I'm asking some questions because I'm interested. I'm not debating anything.

Leif
 
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
1,353
Reaction score
0
Location
Minnesota
Re: StarWarsInterviews: DAVE PROWSE speaks!

Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

ThinWhiteDuke, how have you been able to come across all of these famous people? I know these guys are pretty busy at conventions, so you would have had to have been able to meet them privately. How do you arrange these?
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
462
Reaction score
7
Location
the City of Light
Re: StarWarsInterviews: DAVE PROWSE speaks!

AdmiralScreed said:
Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

ThinWhiteDuke, how have you been able to come across all of these famous people? I know these guys are pretty busy at conventions, so you would have had to have been able to meet them privately. How do you arrange these?
I think Prowse was the only one I talked to on a convention day, but in a private room for the press.
Most actors were interviewed on the day before an event (the press day). Since I had a press pass....(and I was the guy that did Fan Relations, promotion for two cons and was a staff member of a con; that helped a lot too)

Because of this you get to know actors better, they can arrange things for you and one thing leads to another.
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
7,753
Reaction score
83
Location
BC Canada
Re: StarWarsInterviews: FEMI TAYLOR - OOLA

Great interview with Femi Taylor. I have to admit I was curious to see if you'd asked her about her 'wardrobe malfunction'. But I guess that'd be a bit much to bring up in an interview.

Keep em coming!

Leif
 
Joined
Jan 15, 2002
Messages
34,437
Reaction score
309
Location
Rochester, NY
Re: StarWarsInterviews: FEMI TAYLOR - OOLA

Leif_G said:
I have to admit I was curious to see if you'd asked her about her 'wardrobe malfunction'. But I guess that'd be a bit much to bring up in an interview.
I respectfully disagree. That should've been the first question asked!

 
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
7,753
Reaction score
83
Location
BC Canada
Re: StarWarsInterviews: FEMI TAYLOR - OOLA

Neal said:
I respectfully disagree. That should've been the first question asked!

I wonder how a person should ask a question like that. I also wonder if it would be news to her. Yikes... maybe she hadn't noticed before. Kind of like the Seinfeld episode where Elaine sends out her Christmas card to everyone, not realizing she had a nipple showing. That might make for an uncomfortable interview.
 
Joined
Jan 27, 2001
Messages
8,051
Reaction score
430
Location
Sydney, Australia
Just take a look in the movie threads to see what I mean.
Great interview - I had no idea who played Boba in the ANH SE.
What a cool gig to get. Lucky!
 
Top