Starwars Hobby/Prices during Covid.

Reaction score
I know prices have gone up in the Starwars collectible community/hobby over the past year during the covid pandemic, but I wonder why it hasn't exploded, like in the sports (all) cards and video game hobbies?! Both of those hobbies have absolutely exploded (especially cards) in value over the past few months. It is unreal what is currently happening in both of those hobbies right now (literally breaking sales records every other day/week, with a card or video game)!

I would have thought the same thing would have happened to the Starwars/action figures hobby but it hasn't. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing (outlook for our hobby). Just wondering what your guys' thoughts are on this subject. I always thought Starwars collecting was one of the biggest hobbies in the world, but I guess not!?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think it may have to do with availability

Other lines have more than doubled in value.
Ex Indiana Jones figures , Super Friends mego Transformers etc

I was surprised at the ratio of Star Wars compared to other lines in a few vintage toy slash comic shops

The Star Wars figs filled isles where there would be 4 to 5 other lines to hardly fill one side of the isle

Yes we have a nice handful of rare pieces but the majority are very common

Reaction score
Well Star Wars comics have exploded! I am really surprised how Dark Horse Star Wars comics have absolutely exploded! First appearance of this character, first appearance of this situation/event. Issues that once sold for a few dollars, or where you could buy the complete set of a series for $30 — single issues are now selling for 100, 200, $300! Some stuff you couldn't give away a few years ago is now going for big bucks. I'm so glad I bought everything just before Disney bought Star Wars!

And yeah — I hear you about video games. I've been watching for Super Nintendo and Atari 2600, sealed or next-to-mint as possible, Indiana Jones games. A couple of years ago I watched a sealed graded (85+) Atari 2600 game for years on my eBay Watch List. It started out at $100 and eventually was sold for $60. Now people are selling this for a grand! I've seen several very nice examples of sealed SNES Indiana Jones sell for less than $100 (one just last year for about $85!) and now they go for around $500!!

Some Star Wars Kenner items have exploded. And there are some Hasbro items that have been selling for a LOT more than what they were.

Dax

Reaction score
What we are observing is actually a horrifying precursor to economic collapse.

We have an ever increasing gap between the haves and the have nots, an ever more concentrated pooling of wealth among the smallest proportion of the population, and a situation where money is virtually worthless as interest rates are at zero and people are looking for anywhere to place their money to earn even a meagre return.

This has all the hallmarks of a runaway market built on speculation (and I'm looking more broadly than just collectables, but they are exhibiting the same symptoms). As prices continue to rise people are happy to put their money in with the expectation that down the road their 'investment' will be worth more than they paid for it.

Eventually though interest rates will have to rise, inflation will start again and zombie businesses will start to fall commencing a financial reckoning.

Bringing this back to collecting and it's not uncommon to see increases and decreases based upon age demographics of the core collecting group, overall economic wellbeing and increased popularity due to current events such as new movies. We see increases to Star Wars thanks to The Mandalorian being the redemption of Star Wars after the suckiness of the ST. We see increases in 80s and 90s products as that demographic is reaching the ideal life stage (kids left home, generally highest income earning point of lives, houses paid off, etc.) but massive surges indicate a major imbalance where debt is cheap and people have unrealistic expectations of recoverable value.

It's also worth considering that we have lost a lot of clarity on the true value of items. Ebay conceals final prices on a lot of things, sales on Facebook are not always transparent and shill bidding/purchasing does occur. What we think something has sold for is not always the case and market manipulation is a real possibility.

I know this all seems very doom and gloom bordering on paranoia but there are some very genuine concerns here.

Reaction score
This is a fascinating topic, of which I have pondered a lot recently.
Prices of collectibles have spiked across the board. Are people just converting their money into other forms because the dollar is worth so little now? Which reminds me, I need to check my mailbox for my 3rd stimulus check.
I believe market manipulation is very real. I don't know what can be done about it, but it's happening.
One of the big changes I have noticed in the way people sell things now versus "back in the day" is that sellers are starting HIGH. If an item is generally worth $100, they start their ebay listing at $130, and they inch their way down with best offers until get close to the $100 mark. Back in the day, people would start the listing at a low price, and they would let the market do its job.
Lastly, SW stuff is simply harder to come by now. Back around 2000 to 2010, it felt like you could find anything with little or no patience. You want a nice early bird set with the figures still sealed? No problem. Just keep an eye on ebay and you might spend $1,000 to $1,500. Now, you have to put out a bounty on this and unless you have $7,000 to spend, you won't find one. Kenner bags and multi-packs are very scarce now. Tri Logos used to be frowned upon, now they're as sought-after as anything. I remember circa 2006 when I wanted a Luke Original on Tri-Logo card. I jumped on ebay and $175 later, I bought one. I just did a quick search on ebay and there are 0 listed right now, and 0 sold. The supply for this figure, like so many other items, has run dry.

Reaction score
Lots of canceled vacations, no were to go, eating out less. People with jobs intact saved a lot of money, and are looking to spend it. Look at the used car market for another crazy appreciation space.

Reaction score
@Dax and @greekgeek are both on the right track(s).

We have created a class who see's little to no difference between paying $1,000 vs. $10,000 for a good MOC 12-Back. Meanwhile we have a desperate underclass who will part with a family heirloom to pay a recurring bill. This is bad for society. If it isn't corrected artificially it will be corrected naturally. And nature is effing hardcore. You don't want to be around for natural corrections, to distortions this big.

But people are spending on this because they can't spend on other things. Prices may come back down when everyone is vaccinated.

The timing is also a factor. I know I know I say this all the time: but with Baby Boomers going into retirement homes, classic Marx toy prices are crashing pretty hard. Prices go up and down and up and down and so on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pokemon and comic books are on fire. As someone who makes their living selling both, I have never seen anything like it. Books I sold at Christmas for $5,000, I’m now paying 10k to have one in inventory (same grade). Last year exactly this time a PSA 9 Charizard could be had for $5k...nowadays entry for the same grade is 45k, it doesn’t make a lick of sense.

Of course my house is worth about 30-35% more than it was worth this time last year....I think we all have collectively lost our minds.

Getting back to what PhilRaymond touched upon...there is very little quality SW available on the open market like there used to be 15 years ago. I bet if quality items like mint three packs and hard copies just started showing up in the marketplace there might be some record setting prices, but this stuff appears to be genuinely scarcer than your average sports card or comic or video game collectible.

Jim

Reaction score
What we are observing is actually a horrifying precursor to economic collapse.

We just had big economic collapse 11-12 years ago. So you're saying another one.... soon ... when would you say, roughly ?

It sounds more political based , influencing economic factors not just in the USA but other countries.

I could get into vintage SW collecting increases in values on certain things , but I'll refrain it's been talked about a lot here. The reasons why, are vast. It could be one collector sold his MISB / larger item collection ... slowly over a year, $200 here, $1k there . Pooled that money, and would rather get into a certain Pre-pro area that currently interests him. So he'd rather have $4k into one piece , versus $4k in value from 15 pieces. To each his own. Money is moving.... which is a good thing. Like circulating blood in a living being, it's vitally important to sustain life, and to detox /cleans out toxins, and live another day!!

Reaction score
I can also talk / postulate economic theory as well. However what about societal /sociological speaking at the current moment, what's the pressing issue /epidemic = COVID. Sure , people are dying of it... usually older 60+ years old. Hopefully they have a living will ( if they are worth anything, most likely they do have one). So to the people named within that living will , goes some kind of assets. Assets can be converted to money, then money can be spent on other things ... the living would prefer to spend the money on ( food .... housing ... collectables ... the list goes on and on).

I hear of some younger 20-37 year old getting COVID , they eventually get over it ( with antibiotics ... it's possible, usually). If you have an already weakened immune system, that's another story. People are spending a lot of their time at home the last year (time to take a break of the hard commute), drinking... and enjoying their collections. Maybe it's the booze that's affecting the higher price levels of certain things tripling /quadrupling in value . There is the "YOLO" perspective = You Only Live Once. That is a false perspective to take, since if you live another day.... then you don't just live once. It's more like "YODO" = You Only Die Once. These are not titles of 007 movies!! A "Go BIG ... or GO HOME" attitude .... maybe ??!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is the "YOLO" perspective = You Only Live Once. That is a false perspective to take, since if you live another day.... then you don't just live once. It's more like "YODO" = You Only Die Once.

And everyone says you're only young once, but it took Dr. Suess to realize that "You're Only Old Once!". A great book.

Reaction score
I meant to say, it sure is easier selling a Pre-pro item at $1500 -4k , then to sell 20 items at $90-150 each ( time packaging up , shipping, etc. bunch of mumbo-jumbo). Selling things at $5k + ... or even $10k+ can happen /happens, weekly on the collector front , but it does that that Special buyer...

Time is time. Some collectors realize this... and only collect big ticket $500+ items (no time for cardbacks .... .loose figures .... carded MOC under $400 that won't grow much .... Weequay....8D8 ..... you get the idea

Reaction score
I look at it this way - people are home and have been. Lots of people have been using that time to either clean or renovate or refine their spaces, and with that comes the supply and the demand. I've seen it in several areas - the facebook marketplace has exploded year over year, as has volume on ebay, and other classifieds/3rd party marketplaces. (I can provide an article but not sure anyone wants to read it) People are seeking comfort in things that they enjoy. Somewhat related ->https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/13/technology/crypto-art-NFTs-trading-cards-investment-manias.html

Speaking from my own collecting, being home has given me time to go through things that have been sitting in boxes for years that I said I'd "go through later" - toys from my childhood, comics, cards, video games. It's also forced me to really set up and invest in my home office space, and I don't think that pandora is going back in the box after the pandemic either - I can see working remote regularly as 1-2 days per week moving forward. Work has changed. And while I'm in my office, I want it set up with my faves - that's Star Wars, Voltron and some other miscellany. So it's all allowed me to focus my collection, and revisit what I do have to that's outside of it to fund that collection. Thus, I'm restoring my He-Man and GI Joe figures, and they'll all be sold, which will help complete my Kenner Star Wars run, which I had most of from my childhood.

I see similar stories and sentiment on ebay groups, etc. So while there are some other economic indicators that could spell trouble with interest rates, etc, it's not simply just $$$ driving the adoption. The headlines are of course all about that and the hot quick money like Gamestop and NFTs (see my linked article above), but the personal and psychological aspects of it shouldn't be ignored at all. Grandma enjoyed her hummels, they gave her comfort and reminded her of people, places, things - it wasn't purely an "investment" that could bottom out. Same with my Kenner Greedo.

Reaction score
Yeah. What @LordZeppelin said. Just yesterday I described my SWMC focus cabinet as "the gen-x version of a shelf full of Hummels".

Also I need help with my Voltrons plzthxu.

I need help with my Voltron figures too - At the moment, I can only find my Panosh Green Lion, half of the Panosh figures, and only Pidge has a helmet. All of the Shields/Keys are missing, or in a box I haven't got to yet. My Matchbox Lionbot needs cleaned carefully and badly. Oh, and every single time I go to order a Soul of Chogokin set, they sell out before I even see the damned listing. I'll never get one.

Reaction score
I need help with my Voltron figures too - At the moment, I can only find my Panosh Green Lion, half of the Panosh figures, and only Pidge has a helmet. All of the Shields/Keys are missing, or in a box I haven't got to yet. My Matchbox Lionbot needs cleaned carefully and badly. Oh, and every single time I go to order a Soul of Chogokin set, they sell out before I even see the damned listing. I'll never get one.

I had two different modular hard rubber ones that came on a plain backed blister card. I only have a couple random pieces of them now. I would love to restore them.

Reaction score
I meant to say, it sure is easier selling a Pre-pro item at $1500 -4k , then to sell 20 items at $90-150 each ( time packaging up , shipping, etc. bunch of mumbo-jumbo). Selling things at $5k + ... or even $10k+ can happen /happens, weekly on the collector front , but it does that that Special buyer...

Time is time. Some collectors realize this... and only collect big ticket $500+ items (no time for cardbacks .... .loose figures .... carded MOC under $400 that won't grow much .... Weequay....8D8 ..... you get the idea
That's what I've done on many an occasion. I bought my prototype DT saber by raising funds selling loose/complete in flash sales. Hundreds of individual pieces sold. I kind of enjoy the grind, but at this point I've got bins of loose figures and parts, and not much energy to move them :p

Only saving grace is watching the price of weapons keep going up. In two years, many weapons have gone up in price 50%

Reaction score
It's part energy ... but I'm sure you know it's more so a time element. Not enough hours in the day ... for most people 30+ yrs old.