Star Wars The Vintage Collection Archive Edition Book

Reaction score
We need Stan to chime in. He knows or at least has a good idea. From his lists, I always wanted to know what was sculpted vs. what was simply named as coming. I'd love to know what was the reason the Probe droid capsule was nixed. I'd also want to know what type of set Hasbro was considering for the Echo base console and chair or if it was just a prop from that awesome Echo base diorama that they had in 2010.

GNT

Reaction score
I've given the topic it's own thread, the book is a great looking product, will look amazing in everyone's collection and will be extremely helpful companion to the toys we collect :)

Reaction score
Yeah, I decided I have to get this. I LOVE the Sansweet book that this is based on, and since this will follow the same format, I have to have it. I guess I'll get the signed one for an extra $15.

Reaction score
I imagine that few or none of those figures ever were sculpted. It certainly would be great, but never really could’ve happened; we’ve always known what the available slots are way in advance, and the few reliable rumors from investigative sources virtually always turn out to be true, meaning we know what most of each next year looks like. If something gets to real sculpt stage, it’s pretty much got to be a lock.

We’ve seen mock-ups before, like Fisher Price Adventure People with clay on them, or a cut-up Squid Head that becomes a Mongo Beefhead Tribesman. We’ve seen old Droids and Ewoks guys just held back from release due to cancellation. But man, it really would be a waste if all that list of 100 characters were sculpted and then discarded. Seems unlikely.

Obviously, anyone paying any attention knows that TVC, despite a great recent infusion of interest, is still Hasbro’s secondary concern, as is all 3.75”; there are only two or three truly new figures per year, and even these are almost impossible to get at retail.

But the support for this book MUST be taken as a reason for Hasbro to renegotiate their long-running aloof strategy. It could be a great blessing to us.

Last edited:
Reaction score
We need Stan to chime in. He knows or at least has a good idea. From his lists, I always wanted to know what was sculpted vs. what was simply named as coming. I'd love to know what was the reason the Probe droid capsule was nixed. I'd also want to know what type of set Hasbro was considering for the Echo base console and chair or if it was just a prop from that awesome Echo base diorama that they had in 2010.
If Hasbro said a product was coming, there is a high likelihood that the character was sculpted, because in order to make such an announcement, both they and LFL would have probably seen a wax sculpt already. Likewise, LFL would have had to approve it before being announced. That being said, just because a character is sculpted and in development, it doesn't necessarily mean it was ever tooled for production. Depending on how far along in the process a character was before being cancelled, it might be made of wax, clay, plastic, or in the case of current figures, it might just be a digital file. Whether or not this book can release those details is another issue, as its proprietary information. I'd love a look into the Hasbro archives of unreleased item - it exists, and from what I've heard, they do not discard those items.

Reaction score
I'd love a look into the Hasbro archives of unreleased item - it exists, and from what I've heard, they do not discard those items.
Info on Hasbro’s unreleased archives would be mind blowing. DePreist would have knowledge of it but not sure if he’d still have authority to share. Hasbro may not even want him to share because we the fans would then question them on why they haven’t produced or when will they produce.

Reaction score
Definitely would be up for these from that list, as well as some that are not, Like Leebo to go with dash.

Admiral Piett, Y-Wing Pilot, Admiral Ozzel, The Emperor, Cantina Band Member, Dash Rendar, Ann & Tann Gella, Kitster & Wald, Theron Nett, Cin Drallig, Max Rebo Band, Cmmdr Praji, Admiral Motti, Mon Calamari Officer, Shasa Tiel, Bespin Lando.

I'll pass on the book. I might have backed it had one of the stretch goals been an unmade figure, or two. lol

Reaction score
I never had participated in a kickstarter before. So this is my first. It will be Christmas present to myself. :D [from my wife of course.....]

Reaction score
Info on Hasbro’s unreleased archives would be mind blowing. DePreist would have knowledge of it but not sure if he’d still have authority to share. Hasbro may not even want him to share because we the fans would then question them on why they haven’t produced or when will they produce.
Yeah it would be a mixed bag of reactions, they could reveal everything, and collectors would love the visuals, but then they'd question (and likely get angry) why items never made it out. Its worth noting too, most of the revealed unreleased figures weren't part of nor intended for TVC, they were from previous lines. Since TVC is ongoing, the issue of
proprietary information would likely be a problem if anything was revealed in a book that wasn't already public knowledge. I suppose it all depends on what permission they have from Hasbro, and whether they're supporting the project in any way...

Reaction score
I was actually quite surprised at how long that list of figures that were so close to coming out and then nothing. There are several highly requested figures on there. It’s a shame if they got close and then got canned.

Reaction score
Nice! Great work GNT, thank you.
I've given the topic it's own thread, the book is a great looking product, will look amazing in everyone's collection and will be extremely helpful companion to the toys we collect :)

Reaction score
This is also my first ever kickstarter, if the Barge doesn't count. I'm so excited about this that I click on the site everyday to cheer on more stretch goal achievements!
I never had participated in a kickstarter before. So this is my first. It will be Christmas present to myself. :D [from my wife of course.....]

Reaction score
This is also my first ever kickstarter, if the Barge doesn't count. I'm so excited about this that I click on the site everyday to cheer on more stretch goal achievements!
I really hope they get to the next goal with the unreleased stuff.

I know someone had mentioned it was said that if tvc line continues they’ll do supplements rather than a whole new edition. But I still can’t help but think the timing of this is a little off. I mean, tvc is still going, and they’ll be releasing this book while new stuff is coming out, so it’s already incomplete before it’s even released. Why wouldn’t they wait until the line goes on hiatus again before releasing this? It just doesn’t make sense to me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still going to get one, but I just don’t get the timing of it.

Reaction score
I really hope they get to the next goal with the unreleased stuff.

I know someone had mentioned it was said that if tvc line continues they’ll do supplements rather than a whole new edition. But I still can’t help but think the timing of this is a little off. I mean, tvc is still going, and they’ll be releasing this book while new stuff is coming out, so it’s already incomplete before it’s even released. Why wouldn’t they wait until the line goes on hiatus again before releasing this? It just doesn’t make sense to me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still going to get one, but I just don’t get the timing of it.
I am ok with the timing. I am even more ok with supplemental editions. They would be rather short unless they paired them with chapters from other lines like TAC, CW or something else. They have unlocked tons of extra content and goodies though so another book would mean more goodies by way of posters and extras.

Reaction score
The $175,000 goal would be easily obtainable if an exclusive figure was the reward.

Reaction score
Well, the latest update gives us a section on unreleased stuff! I’m not sure how much of it was actually sculpted, but it’s stuff discussed, debated, and considered. If there are pictures of sculpts, it will be really interesting.

Reaction score
The $175,000 goal would be easily obtainable if an exclusive figure was the reward.
An exclusive figure would be nice. That would sell anything. Maybe if it was a real Hasbro project. It has slowed down considerably but has done incredibly well. I wish the last two goals weren’t so lofty. The second poster would be awesome and the digital file would be an awesome and quick way to add additional content, especially future updated volumes that are consistent with the design and style of the existing content.

Reaction score
Rich said that they are working on a way to enable us to add a second book (reader) with no extra shipping. Sales should increase a little then. I’d buy a second book, as a reader, with no additional shipping.

Reaction score
Just read an update on the book, from Rich. Thoughts on what it could be? Let the speculation begin.
  • The $175,00 stretch goal won't be a figure, as much as we'd love it to be. We're working on something that will pay homage to the legacy of the Kenner line, but has a modern take applied to it that will make it a nice fit in your TVC collection. We hope to have details / images next week.

Reaction score
As much as I want this book, I don't feel like shelling out $72 for it. Massively overpriced, though I love the passion of the project. I have every single OT TVC figure anyhow, so I can see them all firsthand. I could see this being great if you missed out on a lot of TVC and don't want to waste a fortune on collecting them all. Great alternative with the high-res images.

I'm MUCH more interested in the expansion pages on the unproduced stuff. Can I still buy that as a non-original backer? OR will that only be available to backers once its out? I will literally just buy those pages if I can. I certainly hope they also follow those with high-res images. I want to see what we missed out on. If anything, maybe enough noise could get a few of them made, you never know.

Reaction score
I remember when Sansweet’s awesome 2012 book came out and it had pretty much every 2010-12 TVC figure except Tarkin who was missing for some odd reason even though the rest of his wave was in it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I plan on jumping on this in a few days, but was wondering if I also do 4 separate $5 can you put any name down, (my kids) or will it automatically be my name because I paid?

Reaction score
I remember when Sansweet’s awesome 2012 book came out and it had pretty much every 2010-12 TVC figure except Tarkin who was missing for some odd reason even though the rest of his wave was in it.
Speaking of TVC Tarkin, I hope when they cover it, they explain why its green and with a soft good skirt. Hopefully, it will get Hasbro's attention to fix it.

Reaction score
I think I read that only backers will be able to get any of this, and there won't be any available after it's done.
As much as I want this book, I don't feel like shelling out $72 for it. Massively overpriced, though I love the passion of the project. I have every single OT TVC figure anyhow, so I can see them all firsthand. I could see this being great if you missed out on a lot of TVC and don't want to waste a fortune on collecting them all. Great alternative with the high-res images.

I'm MUCH more interested in the expansion pages on the unproduced stuff. Can I still buy that as a non-original backer? OR will that only be available to backers once its out? I will literally just buy those pages if I can. I certainly hope they also follow those with high-res images. I want to see what we missed out on. If anything, maybe enough noise could get a few of them made, you never know.

Reaction score
There was a line for my name, and then later for the name on my CC, so it's probably possible, but I would try to ask them.
I plan on jumping on this in a few days, but was wondering if I also do 4 separate $5 can you put any name down, (my kids) or will it automatically be my name because I paid?

Reaction score
I didn’t realize sansweet did a book covering the tvc. I guess it doesn’t matter that I missed it now though since I’ll be getting this one. The sansweet one I am familiar with is the one that has some of the potf2 and all of the true vintage stuff. I LOVE that book!

Regarding if they do a pop up diorama thing, is that something everyone who paid for a
copy would get or would they make that like if you spend $300 you’ll get it kind of thing?

Reaction score
I didn’t realize sansweet did a book covering the tvc. I guess it doesn’t matter that I missed it now though since I’ll be getting this one. The sansweet one I am familiar with is the one that has some of the potf2 and all of the true vintage stuff. I LOVE that book!

Regarding if they do a pop up diorama thing, is that something everyone who paid for a
copy would get or would they make that like if you spend $300 you’ll get it kind of thing?
The book actually covers pretty much every SW figure up till 2012 and not just TVC. It’s definitely worth a read.

Reaction score
As others have noted, this sounds and looks really awesome, but its horrible timing. This should have been done years ago when TVC "ended", or after current line of TVC ends. Adding supplements, digital or otherwise, or 2nd editions, is just shoehorning in a bad solution. What fun is having a book that is incomplete, and then maybe having to switch to a digital copy just so you can "finish" it.

Add a stretch goal that guarantees a hardcopy of a completed edition down the road or something.

Reaction score
$175000 Sorry ABout the Mess Stretch Goal

From his hint, some kind of cardboard display environment would be my guess.
I'm hoping they do a modern vintage collection version of the pack-in catalogs we used to find inside vehicles and playsets back in the Kenner days. It seems like something that is feasible and within budget.

Reaction score
While I get the vintage focus I wonder if they are going to find a way to include or exclude BLACK SERIES figures that didn't get the Vintage style card treatment. With so many that started as black series who later got the vintage card treatment (ReeYees, Han Carbonite, Leia Boush), and others that WERE vintage, but re-released in Black (Lando General, Ahsoka, Ackbar, ERG) Seems odd to exclude the ones that ended up being black series exclusives (Toryn Farr, Dutch Vander, Luke faced Vader, Jawas, many more I'm sure).

One especially great Black Series 'figure' that would be excluded is the RANCOR. I think he deserves BOOK treatment :)

Reaction score
I really hope it'll make it to 150k. I'd love to get that modern update of the old "Star Wars is forever" poster.

Reaction score
Yeah, not to be pessimistic or anything, but I don’t think we'll get to 150k. If the 175K stretch goal is as good as they are hinting, then we could get a spike though. I’d like the modern poster too but I also think that the digital book would’ve been awesome especially when it comes to updating for future VC figures.

Reaction score
125k goal is met!! ���� I wonder what the mystery reward for 175k is and I am waiting on any info on add-ons. So excited about this!!

Reaction score
The campaign will stay slow at this point but should spike again at the end like most successful campaigns. I would be surprised if it does not reach the $175k goal.

Reaction score
$175,000 stretch goal is:
three (3) coin set featuring the Slave I, Jabba the Hutt and Jabba's Sail Barge. Not only do these coins tell the story of Han Solo's journey from The Empire Strikes Back to Return of the Jedi, but the Slave I, Jabba and Jabba's Barge have never had their own coins in either Kenner's POTF or Hasbro's 30th Anniversary lines. They'll fit in perfectly with your existing coin collection.
Sounds good to me, I hope they make it.

Reaction score
$175,000 stretch goal is:
three (3) coin set featuring the Slave I, Jabba the Hutt and Jabba's Sail Barge. Not only do these coins tell the story of Han Solo's journey from The Empire Strikes Back to Return of the Jedi, but the Slave I, Jabba and Jabba's Barge have never had their own coins in either Kenner's POTF or Hasbro's 30th Anniversary lines. They'll fit in perfectly with your existing coin collection.
Sounds good to me, I hope they make it.
For reals????? That would be pretty sweet!

Reaction score
So I saw this hit more stretch goals, can you guys confirm that if I buy this now it will contain a chapter on the unproduced/prototype stuff from TVC?