The Mandalorian Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Season 3

Reaction score
https://www.looper.com

Aside from the countless questions Star Wars fans currently have about this new era of The Mandalorian, everyone wants to know when to expect season 3 to hit Disney+. As the old saying goes, "good things come to those who wait," and we're going to sit and twiddle our thumbs for a while. Per Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy at the 2020 Disney Investor Day presentation, The Mandalorian's third season comes out on December 25 — Christmas day — 2021.

Read More: https://www.looper.com/299055/the-mandalorian-season-3-release-date-cast-plot/?utm_campaign=clip

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think the pandemic pushed it back. Everything was shutdown out here — for months.

Reaction score
So I'm thinking this is going to go more into Mandalore and Mandalorian lore now that Grogu's gone (though I still say temporarily), heavy focus on who will get the throne of Mandalore with the Darksaber, Bo Katan, Din, etc. I'm predicting the Armorer and perhaps some of the old Culvert back even from S1EP3. I'm predicting they discover he has now openly removed his helmet, likely something to do with that Imp terminal, probably footage or a record of it somewhere. And he's possibly excommunicated for it. But you could say, really, since he's NOT in his Beskar...and since he can't remove his helmet in front of them either...how would they ever even know it was him? Hah! Can you imagine Din saying "Yeah that ain't me," he's got a point. How would they know?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I suspect that he's going to take some heat at some point for removing his helmet at that Imperial refinery, word will eventually get back to them somehow I'm sure. and yeah, I don't know how many of his own kind has seen his face, so the Empire posting his face on the holonet that he broke into, destroyed it and killed everyone may not register with them? Now he may not ever be able to show his face to an Imperial again without being recognized. Since he wears the helmet 20/7 he shouldn't have to worry about being recognized too much.

If it does focus more on Mandalorian lore in S3 then it sounds exactly like what I was looking for when this show was first announced! Perhaps Sabine will appear then being as she's part of a prominent clan? I also think it would be cool to repurpose some EU characters into the mix Like Montross, Kast, Kal Skirata, Mirta Gev etc. Also would like to see them branch out with the different species who've become Mandalorians, considering it essentially just "a way" not specifically one race of people. And I'd also like to see various looking armor similar to the old EU, rather than all of them wearing the basic same armor just in different colors.

Reaction score
I would be on board with the story pivoting back to Mandalorian culture etc now with the Darksaber and Mandalore in the mix. It's clear he just can't go back to regular old bounty hunting after everything he's been through. He may try it but it won't work. For Din he had something to life (and die) for and I would expect that would fundamentally change him.

I originally didn't see this character as the "leader of Mandalore" type but now I would not be surprised to see him claim a stake for it on behalf of his clan.

Whatever direction it goes I'm definitely looking forward to it.

A whole year we have to wait...jeeze.

Reaction score
Well I could be wrong but I don’t think that the foundling wear helmets so they should have some kind of record of who he is. Even if it’s just the creepy cult leader who has access to it.
Also I want BY in a cute little Mando helmet.

Reaction score
Well I could be wrong but I don’t think that the foundling wear helmets so they should have some kind of record of who he is. Even if it’s just the creepy cult leader who has access to it.
Also I want BY in a cute little Mando helmet.
There are kids with helmets on running around the culvert in season 1

Reaction score
I meant they don't get them till a certain age, But I suspect for practical purposes someone would have to know who everyone is otherwise anyone in a costume could infiltrate them.

Reaction score
I have to think that since the first 2 seasons had Grogu as the centerpiece, we'll at least get one season without the character. 'Baby Yoda' was sort of the insurance policy that people would be interested. I have to think they KNEW that character would appeal to a wide variety of people. Probably not to the degree of impact he had, but they knew the cute little bugger would be popular.

Season 1 and 2 took the "Lone Wolf and Cub" storyline and combined it with a quest to return the MacGuffin to where 'it' belongs. I think season 3 will go samurai again and use the "Yojimbo" storyline. Mando will have a large stake in who rules Mandalore. The MacGuffin is the darksaber and all clans of Mandalorians have a claim. Mando will be recruited by all of them and he'll have to make a choice, but will ultimately have a "Last Man Standing" sort of situation. I don't see Din wanting to rule.

Reaction score
Grogu's story will not be sidelined in season 3 something will happen to bring Mando to the Jedi academy. (Cue new Disney + series.)

Reaction score
I think Jedi Academy would be a great Disney + series.... Bring back the old EU characters Streen, Dorsk 81, Kirana Ti, Gantoris, Kam and Tionne, I mean... you have the older force sensitive, the clone, the warrior woman, the couple (which happen to be a former Palpatine disciple and a historian), and fan favorites like Kyle Katarn and Corran Horn.

The stories are mostly written and are good.

Reaction score
Corran Horn would be a good one to bring back and serve as a bridge to the Rogue Squadron movie.

Kyle Katarn is popular....but it's tough to see how you tweak him to bring him back.

I never really cared too much for the original Jedi Academy characters personally, I preferred the NJO cast. Could also be that I just didn't love the Jedi Academy story. It was fine..but didn't amaze me. Of course I probably expected another Thrawn Trilogy.

Kam I could definitely see coming back with a tweaked origin. Have him be a former inquisitor.

I think there's room for Mara Jade in the larger story.

Kyp Durron is near the top of my list to bring back.

Reaction score
Mara Jade is a real tough one unless they either ignore the Luke of TLJ OR they make her more of a love 'interest' and not a wife.
Not sure who my favs they have yet to introduce are, but I'll have to come up with a list of some sort.

Reaction score
My thought is have her be a love interest similar to Satine from TCW. It would still be pretty devastating to Luke for her to be killed...and could explain his isolation in TLJ a little better.

Reaction score
I think Jedi Academy would be a great Disney + series.... Bring back the old EU characters Streen, Dorsk 81, Kirana Ti, Gantoris, Kam and Tionne, I mean... you have the older force sensitive, the clone, the warrior woman, the couple (which happen to be a former Palpatine disciple and a historian), and fan favorites like Kyle Katarn and Corran Horn.

I would totally watch that with great interest!

Reaction score

The problem with bringing them back is that you'd also have to fit them into Canon, and a lot of their back stories wouldn't make sense. Like, sure Luke gathers this crew of new Jedi, but do they all get offed when Ben Solo had a bad dream? And if they did survive, why didn't they search for their master?

However, if these characters do return in some form that would make sense and makes a good story, I'm all for it.

Reaction score
There's 19 years of open continuity between the Mandalorian and the destruction of Luke's Jedi school. 25 years before TFA happens. There's plenty of time for Jedi to be trained and killed off in another conflict if the story goes that way. They wouldn't all necessarily need to be killed by Ben Solo and then there's also the possibility that when he becomes Kylo he hunts down the rest after the school is destroyed.

For reference the Clone Wars spanned only 3 years.

The OT spanned 4 years with Luke's Jedi training only taking up a year really. His brief training with Yoda and his training on his own between ESB and ROTJ.

Reaction score
Even with the convenient length of time, I'm still ambivalent about it. I'm not saying it's a bad idea and the prospect of seeing Kyle Katarn in canon sounds really great to me, but there's still too many unknowns. Would be exciting to see, though.

Reaction score
Not to continue the Jedi Academy tangent, but Luke clearly had a Jedi Academy. The fact that Kylo Ren destroyed the academy makes it tough to set up characters when it is assumed they have no future. Not a lot has been written about this new academy though so we can assume that there were survivors... and there could have been some that were not at the academy at the time.

Opt 1: They could do a couple things. Luke could find a few older force sensitives like in the Jedi Academy books that he trains and then they could go out looking for others. The universe is too small really (as many point out). We could clearly then have a series that follows any of the other jedi that go out on their 'walkabout'. (ANY of the characters that get popular from this show could end up with their own) I'm envisioning a show using the Dass Jennir storyline or the Quinlan Vos 'lost memory' storyline, the Jorus C'Boath Outbound Flight storyline, or even an altered Zayne Carrick style storyline... perhaps a jedi chased by the Knights of Ren.
Con: The downside to this is Luke's "The Jedi Must END" stuff because if he sent out a handful of other Jedi then clearly he isn't the end.

Opt 2: They could have Luke train just a couple of pupils early on and they get some adventures similar to the Jacen & Jaina novels... These could be more of the Young Adult style and appeal to that slightly younger audience.
Con: Again... what is the future for these characters... perhaps they are especially strong with certain aspects like how Corran Horn was good at mental but not physical force manipulations. Or how Quinlan Vos could 'read' history off of objects through Psychometry, or even the Dark Woman's ability to become "invisible" or "intangible"... Therefore these pupils are not what many would consider to be Jedi 'Warriors' but simple force users.

Reaction score
I think they are going to retake Mandalore with Bo trying to find a way to take the Darksaber from Mando or get him killed. I also think we will see Luke train Grogu and introduce us to other Jedi while hinting at the First Order. I also think we will get hints at other Mandalorians who are attached to the Empire or Thrawn instead of Noghri.

Ashoka will have Thrawn as the main bad guy and possibly C'Boath. The Outbound Project is going to be the way to get most of these guys away from the sequels or the World between Worlds to fast forward them. The sequels is only a year anyway. Not hard to skip that year

Reaction score
I think they are going to retake Mandalore with Bo trying to find a way to take the Darksaber from Mando or get him killed. I also think we will see Luke train Grogu and introduce us to other Jedi while hinting at the First Order. I also think we will get hints at other Mandalorians who are attached to the Empire or Thrawn instead of Noghri.

Ashoka will have Thrawn as the main bad guy and possibly C'Boath. The Outbound Project is going to be the way to get most of these guys away from the sequels or the World between Worlds to fast forward them. The sequels is only a year anyway. Not hard to skip that year
Not sure I understand most of this...

The Mandalorian takes place 25 years before The Force Awakens. While I'm not entirely against forcing the ST into an alternate universe, it's highly unlikely they'll abandon the ST entirely.

I also don't believe we'll be getting a ton of Jedi stuff in The Mandalorian. I'm expecting a war for Mandalore, but I honestly think they'll sideline Grogu for at least this next season just to see if the show can stand on its own.

Reaction score
Getting started a year in advance...jeez haha.
I hope they leave the ST out of it, it's not like we need all the set up for TFA. A bit may be fine but I'm hoping it's just about Din's life with the other poo taking a back seat to it. Battle for Mandalore, some rogue side quests for no reason except awesomeness, cool new characters and hopefully new aliens.
I have high hopes for TMS3, year wait FML too long.

Reaction score
Ding Ding, while having been babysitting 2 entire seasons, have found out that he wants blue-shrimp pretty lady to be his baby mama, so he goes back to the village and leaves the creed behind, though with the occasional protection of the Seven Samurai village from the pitbulls.

Maybe.
:p

Reaction score
Nah. He’s gonna hook up with Cobb Vanth. Just wait. Which may complicate Boba Fett’s return to Tatooine.

Reaction score
I'd like to see him go back to 'blue shrimp lady'. He seems to be headed for something else, but Boba's got a squeeze... why not Mando?

Reaction score
Who is Boba's squeeze? And I wonder if that will eventually lead to Zori Bliss being born! After all I doubt they'll go the Ailyn Vel route. :p

Reaction score
My hope is that it pivots towards a fight for Mandalore. I initially did not see that as a realistic arc for Mando but now he is probably a "changed" man after having something to fight for and eventually lose (Grogu).

Possibly an attempt to return to a normal life (or normal for him ie back to hunting bounties) that ends up with him right back in the mix with Bo Katan/Dark Saber etc

Whatever happens I am sure it will be good - these guys seem to really get it

Reaction score
Here are my thoughts of what they could do:

1. They just completely ignore/erase the ST: Mark Hamill plays an old Jedi Master Luke in a film where the opening scene has him open his eyes and say: "That's how it could have been, but luckily it wasn't" and then we see him look around a group of young Padawans and they just restart the ST.

2. The ST happened, but Luke had already started a second Jedi Academy somewhere else with his wife, Mara Jade and Grogu. Luke was so powerful in the Force that he was able to transcend his body and project himself in Rey's ST as a "Force Ghost". After TROS, Luke appears on a different planet and into his real body at the second Jedi Temple and tells Mara that Palpatine is really gone and they can continue their work on a New jEDI oRDER:

Luke and Mara have two daughters, one their own and a second whose an adopted Twi'lek. Grogu is a master and teaches the Padawans as well. The new threat is a different dark side group (the Sith are gone).

Reaction score
My hope is that it pivots towards a fight for Mandalore. I initially did not see that as a realistic arc for Mando but now he is probably a "changed" man after having something to fight for and eventually lose (Grogu).

Possibly an attempt to return to a normal life (or normal for him ie back to hunting bounties) that ends up with him right back in the mix with Bo Katan/Dark Saber etc

Whatever happens I am sure it will be good - these guys seem to really get it
He's also going to have to grapple with his beliefs. His group of Mandalorian's believe once the helmet is taken off it can never be put back on again. His whole identity was sacrificed for Grogu.

Further, his beliefs have already been shaken when he met Bo and her group. He's going to have to decide what it really means to be a Mandalorian and how he fits into all of it. Which version does he believe in and does he believe enough in Mandalore to unite the tribes under the symbol of the Darksaber?

Reaction score
Here are my thoughts of what they could do:

1. They just completely ignore/erase the ST: Mark Hamill plays an old Jedi Master Luke in a film where the opening scene has him open his eyes and say: "That's how it could have been, but luckily it wasn't" and then we see him look around a group of young Padawans and they just restart the ST.

2. The ST happened, but Luke had already started a second Jedi Academy somewhere else with his wife, Mara Jade and Grogu. Luke was so powerful in the Force that he was able to transcend his body and project himself in Rey's ST as a "Force Ghost". After TROS, Luke appears on a different planet and into his real body at the second Jedi Temple and tells Mara that Palpatine is really gone and they can continue their work on a New jEDI oRDER:

Luke and Mara have two daughters, one their own and a second whose an adopted Twi'lek. Grogu is a master and teaches the Padawans as well. The new threat is a different dark side group (the Sith are gone).
Not that bad, and in the old EU Yoda had placed hidden Academies throughout the Galaxy because of a looming threat he felt. So I could see them using that as way to infuse more "Jedi" characters into the mythos and not contradict your no Jedi stance. Luke would have searched for them once he learned the locations after ROTJ. As much as I'd like a different story for Luke I don't think it's going to happen.

Reaction score
I'm amazed at how many people are still confused about season 3 of this show. Are you guys seeing this? Disney has been pretty clear....Book of Boba Fett December 2021...Mando Season 3 in 2022. Yet is seems a lot of the internet is thinking Book of Boba Fett is Mando season 3 or that Mando is over. So weird...the messaging seem pretty clear.

Not saying on here, you guys seem to get it.

I'd be quite fine if they went with option number 1 Trooper31, but I just don't see them doing something so on the nose unfortunately. The ST was in theaters, it made a lot of money, it has a lot of fans. It's here to stay (unfortunately) and it makes sense that it's here to stay. I think they are just going to tread lightly when it comes to it. Not piss on it like TROS did to TLJ and TLJ did to TFA, but just avoid talking about it as much as possible. Focus on the time before it (Mando era) and hopefully jump forward even further to deal with some stuff well after it.

Option 2 would be nice....but I think it would still be negating TLJ too much for them to try it.

Reaction score
I'm amazed at how many people are still confused about season 3 of this show. Are you guys seeing this? Disney has been pretty clear....Book of Boba Fett December 2021...Mando Season 3 in 2022. Yet is seems a lot of the internet is thinking Book of Boba Fett is Mando season 3 or that Mando is over. So weird...the messaging seem pretty clear.

Not saying on here, you guys seem to get it.

I'd be quite fine if they went with option number 1 Trooper31, but I just don't see them doing something so on the nose unfortunately. The ST was in theaters, it made a lot of money, it has a lot of fans. It's here to stay (unfortunately) and it makes sense that it's here to stay. I think they are just going to tread lightly when it comes to it. Not piss on it like TROS did to TLJ and TLJ did to TFA, but just avoid talking about it as much as possible. Focus on the time before it (Mando era) and hopefully jump forward even further to deal with some stuff well after it.

Option 2 would be nice....but I think it would still be negating TLJ too much for them to try it.

It's not clear. If it was clear there would be no questions around it.

Disney Investors Meeting - announce The Mandalorian season 3 for Dec 2021. No mention (intentionally) Book of Boba Fett

The Mandalorian season 2 finale - announce The Book of Boba Fett for Dec 2021

Favreu on GMA Dec 21st explaining the whole thing and it's still confusing:

“So this is actually separate from ‘The Mandalorian’ Season 3,” Favreau continued. “But what we didn’t say in that announcement is that the next show coming up, Kathy said the ‘next chapter,’ and that’s going to be ‘The Book of Boba Fett’ and then we go into production right after that on Season 3 of ‘The Mandalorian,’ back with the main character that we all have known and loved. So that’s going to be pretty soon following that. So were working on that pre-production now, while we’re in production on ‘Boba Fett.'”

I mean I get it buts it's not hard to see where the confusion is. The fact that he had to explain it on national TV says as much...

Reaction score
I agree it can be confusing with the way they worded it, I mean just look at all the confusion around when Rogue Squadron was/is supposed to be set. I just now read something more concrete the other day saying that is will indeed take place after TROS, which IMO opens up a lot of questions since that movie left us without an antagonist. Unless they do the same them as Mandalorian with the empire, and basically have First order remnants.

I know they wanted BOBF to be a surprise for the Mando S2 finale, which is why is was absent from the Investors meeting. So when it wasn't part of the announcement but saw the reveal at then for it a lot of people assumed it meant that S3 would be focused on Fett. TBH though most of the youtubers "in the know" should have known better than to propagate this nonsense. So anyone reporting that BoBF was replacing S3 Mando isn't anyone I would choose to rely on for information.

pod

Reaction score
I agree it can be confusing with the way they worded it, I mean just look at all the confusion around when Rogue Squadron was/is supposed to be set. I just now read something more concrete the other day saying that is will indeed take place after TROS, which IMO opens up a lot of questions since that movie left us without an antagonist. Unless they do the same them as Mandalorian with the empire, and basically have First order remnants.

I know they wanted BOBF to be a surprise for the Mando S2 finale, which is why is was absent from the Investors meeting. So when it wasn't part of the announcement but saw the reveal at then for it a lot of people assumed it meant that S3 would be focused on Fett. TBH though most of the youtubers "in the know" should have known better than to propagate this nonsense. So anyone reporting that BoBF was replacing S3 Mando isn't anyone I would choose to rely on for information.
It's funny, because *I* just read something the other day saying the post-ROS timeline has to be wrong, because the official RS logo shows the profile of an OT X-Wing! Which I confirmed, the head-on shot of the X-Wing in the official RS logo is of a T-65, as was the X-Wing in the promo with Patty Jenkins.

Who knows? My latest guess is that it will be set in the Mandalorian era, maybe tied in to some of the events the series and its several spinoffs will explore over the next two seasons.

Reaction score
maybe it's like "top-gun-in-space" where they use old vintage T-65's as training planes at a flight academy in the ST era.

Reaction score
I too think S3 will focus on Mandalore: there’s a good amount of material to cover there, and the scene has well-an-truely been setup for this plot line (IMO).

I feel like it will expand general audiences understanding of the planet, it’s culture, and mythos.