Star Wars: Squadrons

Reaction score
I thought I’d start a thread on this as the video has been released.

I’ll wait until I see some in game footage before I make final judgement. Still a flight shooting game could be a lot of fun.

I suspect a lot of payable downloadable content will be offered.

I’ve read that this’ll be released on X-Box and PlayStation. Anyone know if it’ll be available on the PC?

Reaction score
Yep, it'll be on PC, Xbone and PS4.

Tentatively excited. Fingers crossed that it's more like X-Wing/TIE Fighter than any of the more recent console based efforts.

Dax

Reaction score
Here's what I got out of the trailer:

Wedge used to draw in the old crowd "Oh cool, it's Wedge!". The cynical part of me thinks this is just a bit cheap and gimmicky.
Pilot "giving engines full power"... who the hell are you talking to, why do they need to know how fast you're going? OK, I get it, it's for dramatic effect but it's this sort of lazy and cheesy dialogue that has been a blight since the prequels. "I'll try spinning - that's a good trick!" Bleh.
So, we're still 'dropping' bombs in a zero G environment. Really.

As for the gameplay details, I'm significantly concerned due to my horrible experience in Battlefield V from EA/Dice.
Features like 5 v 5 and the ranking system to earn rewards are exactly what they stuffed up in that game and used in an aggressive manner to push in game purchases.
I foresee them trying to really push an eSports version of 5 v 5 but I hope they don't.

I want to like it, but I'm not pre-ordering anything from this company. They need to prove to me that it's a worthy game. I'm unsure how this 5 v 5 gameplay will actually work out. In combat games you can often use the environment as a significant factor to reposition, provide cover from attack, use as ambush points, but how will the game play in the void of space? Five players attack another five players head on and the ones using Discord wipe the floor with the random group on the other side. Repeat. Well, I hope not.

Reaction score
Goody. Another effing online game you have to pay to play or develop a meth habit in order to enjoy the game.

Reaction score
Like the trailer as usual ? Buuuuut....
Any more info yet ?
Is this basicly a game full of BFII Starfighter Assaults ? 1st person or 3rd person shooter ? Single Player campaign ?

EDIT: Never mind, didn't notice the second post on the main before 🤪

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’m assuming it’s more of a shooting game than a flight simulator type game.

Looking forward to seeing in game photos.

Reaction score
Hopefully the game has a decent length story-mode but I suspect that, once again, the story-mode is an afterthought. Hope I'm wrong.

Reaction score
pretty damn awesome 👍👍
Cheered up on that Ewok bobblehead 🤣🤣🤣😂
Only thing, and I am pretty sure you can deactivate the option, way to much streamlines.
And I hoped for two SP campaigns, one for each side, instead of an obviously fractionjumping one

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just saw the gameplay video and it looks like it’s going to be great fun. Definitely getting this now.

I wonder how many missions are in the campaign?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I dunno, I hate PvP type games. I couldn't get into the new Battlefronts and I doubt I'm going to get into this.

Reaction score
I dunno, I hate PvP type games. I couldn't get into the new Battlefronts and I doubt I'm going to get into this.
Same. I hated the Battlefront games for that very reason but as long as it's got a legit story-mode, then this game could be fun for me.

Reaction score
It does look kind of cool, though I'm not a fan of MMO type games or continuous fighting/racing. I hope it's broken up a little bit with missions for your character outside the cockpit. Definitely will wait for a sale, SW games just don't have the content they used to to pay full price anymore,

Reaction score
It does look kind of cool, though I'm not a fan of MMO type games or continuous fighting/racing. I hope it's broken up a little bit with missions for your character outside the cockpit. Definitely will wait for a sale, SW games just don't have the content they used to to pay full price anymore,
I'm gonna wait and see what the reviews are like and, if it's to my liking, I'll probably wait until it's cheaper.

Reaction score
All action will be in the seat of a fighter, and there will be a full length campaign.

Regarding the price, it's only $40 instead of the usual $60 which is a positive, and it supposedly supports VR.

Reaction score
If anyone hasn't read it, this Polygon interview with creative director Ian Frazier is very thorough -- and it definitely got my hype levels up even more. I especially like him saying that it isn't a "game as a service" thing where they are going to roll out modes and elements as time goes on; instead, they wanted it to be a complete experience out-of-the-box. Considering that lower price point, I'm into a smaller game that does what it aims to do successfully.

And I hoped for two SP campaigns, one for each side, instead of an obviously fractionjumping one
That would be cool, but if I had to guess, it'll be one campaign that bounces between the two sides. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

It sounds like it's flying-only...no ground battle. Maybe there will be some segments where you control your character walking around a base from a briefing to a ship...but if so, it will be super basic and with very little additional gameplay.

Reaction score
If anyone hasn't read it, this Polygon interview with creative director Ian Frazier is very thorough -- and it definitely got my hype levels up even more. I especially like him saying that it isn't a "game as a service" thing where they are going to roll out modes and elements as time goes on; instead, they wanted it to be a complete experience out-of-the-box. Considering that lower price point, I'm into a smaller game that does what it aims to do successfully.
Thanks for the link. That's an interesting read, even though it has tempered my optimism a little.

Frazier specifically cites Poe Dameron's drift at the start of TLJ as an inspiration, and then mentions how they've built the gameplay/handling/boost functions around that. That moment took me out of the film, every time, as inconsistent with how SW space combat had been portrayed before. So that's a concern.

On the plus side he mentions how TIE Fighters don't have shields, and that they don't even allow shields as customisable add-ons for TIEs. Great stuff. Fans know that the Empire works by sheer volume of craft; one TIE is not a challenge for one X-Wing, but three TIEs are different.

But then he mentions that they've looked at TIE hull integrity instead, implying that there's a balancing going on that shouldn't be. I really hope I'm wrong there.

Then, at the end of the article, Frazier explains how the different weapons upgrades work. This sounds great, and like it'll be a fun mechanic.

So overall I just don't really know what to expect.

The success of the original X-Wing series was in how immersive it was (and remains) as a SW experience. It'd be great to get a new version of that, and Squadrons has become my most anticipated game release of the year.

It's just that, given the concept has been executed so well already before, it has a lot to live up to!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just pre-ordered this on Steam for £35. Pretty good value for money.

I'm pleased that this takes place after ROTJ, which feeds into "my" Star Wars. (It'll be interesting to see if there are additional games to take advantage of other trilogies.)

Depending how things go work-wise, I might pick up a VR set for this. (need it for HL: Alyx, too.)

Reaction score
But then he mentions that they've looked at TIE hull integrity instead, implying that there's a balancing going on that shouldn't be. I really hope I'm wrong there.
I don't fully understand what he was saying there, but I took it to mean that one of the upgrades anyone can have is hull reinforcement -- like, anyone could weld some additional metal onto their craft. So that's a way that TIEs could bump up their defense without breaking the "no shields" rule.

Maybe I'm being unduly influenced by the Hull Upgrade card in the X-wing miniatures game.

Reaction score
Maybe it's simply the difference between Adamantium vs Vibranium? lol
I get what you're saying, but let's face it - without maintaining any consistency, structure or internal logic, you just end up with The Last Jedi: The Video Game.

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. That's an interesting read, even though it has tempered my optimism a little.

Frazier specifically cites Poe Dameron's drift at the start of TLJ as an inspiration, and then mentions how they've built the gameplay/handling/boost functions around that. That moment took me out of the film, every time, as inconsistent with how SW space combat had been portrayed before. So that's a concern.

On the plus side he mentions how TIE Fighters don't have shields, and that they don't even allow shields as customisable add-ons for TIEs. Great stuff. Fans know that the Empire works by sheer volume of craft; one TIE is not a challenge for one X-Wing, but three TIEs are different.

Then, at the end of the article, Frazier explains how the different weapons upgrades work. This sounds great, and like it'll be a fun mechanic.

So overall I just don't really know what to expect.

The success of the original X-Wing series was in how immersive it was (and remains) as a SW experience. It'd be great to get a new version of that, and Squadrons has become my most anticipated game release of the year.

It's just that, given the concept has been executed so well already before, it has a lot to live up to!
For all TLJs faults...the drift was the least offensive in my opinion. I actually thought that was pretty cool.

Reaction score
I'm cautiously optimistic and excited about this. I just hope the ship controls are fluid and loose and that the overall experience ISN'T like Starfighter Assault in BFII. But honestly, if this game turns out to be total crap, I'll still play it. They had me by the neck already at the mere prospect of customizable TIE Pilots.

Reaction score
I'm feeling underwhelmed so far. I'm worried this is just going to be a glorified version of Starfighter Assault from Battlefront II.

I want a game like Rogue Squadron. I can't even begin to think of how many hours I played that game with my friends on N64 back in the day.

Reaction score
I'm feeling underwhelmed so far. I'm worried this is just going to be a glorified version of Starfighter Assault from Battlefront II.

I want a game like Rogue Squadron. I can't even begin to think of how many hours I played that game with my friends on N64 back in the day.
Likewise! Rogue Leader as well. Only downside about Rogue Leader was no co-op and the game was a bit short.

Reaction score

I worry about that as well. Just read this article the other day where a former Sony exec thinks they should make games much smaller.
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...en-games-may-have-to-be-shorter-or-cost-more/

Reaction score
Um, I'm sorry but most games can be beat in a couple days of you play straight trough. So these people feel that we should be paying $60 for even shorter games?! TBH I'm glad I'm just about out of the VG phase, because they seem to only want to target multiplayer stuff anymore.
Not to mention some don't even get DLC.

I absolutely love in depth games like Oblivion, Skyrim, even the Assassins Creed games can be fun. I guess it doesn't matter as it's all about the short attention span crowd these days.

Reaction score
Can't wait for this. A bit weird hearing Wedge with a different voice, every game I played growing up that had Wedge in it was voiced by Robert Foster. Still glad he's in it though.