Star Wars Screenplay Daily Reading

Reaction score

In technical terms, it's a 'meteor' when it enters an atmosphere. Before that, it's termed as a 'meteoroid'. But since Han mentions 'asteroid' immediately after, the two words (meteoroid-asteroid) spoken almost back-to-back might sound a bit awkward. Maybe Lucas knew this,....who knows, but I REALLY doubt the Han took the Falcon that close to Alderaan's atmosphere for the term to be correct. o-o​
I think Muftak's "sloppy writing" comment was in reference to Han being inconsistent in terms of Alderaan's destruction. At first he acknowledges it's been destroyed but a second later he calls it impossible.

I don't necessarily see this as being inconsistent, though. Han knows Alderaan has been destroyed, what he thinks is "impossible" is that the Empire was responsible, based on his knowledge of their capabilities.

Reaction score
lister's right, I was referring to Han's preference to be contrary with Luke and Ben over being consistent in his thoughts. First he tells Luke Alderaan has been "totally blown away," and then says blowing it up would be impossible. Unless he just thinks the Empire is incapable but thinks someone else could (Corporate Sector?) or that's what he meant by an "Asteroid collision..."

Reaction score
Oh sure, I totally understood the message to begin with. I guess the whole 'meteor' bit could be construed as a 'technical oversight' rather than sheer writing sloppiness, so I guess it was a improper call to try to piggyback on that and try to merge the two comments together in a similar context. :oops:

But just to piggyback on the "Armageddon" comment, I would assume the level of technology of those living in the Star Wars universe is around Level II-III on the Kardashev scale (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale) in that many inhabited planets would have the resources and detection systems necessary to prevent any types of natural disasters from either asteroids or comets from happening, as oppose to unnatural intervention like the Empire. Granted, space is still vast and there are still unforeseen natural stellar disasters possibly out of their capability, i.e. supernova and such.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- DAY 83

It's all good. It would be interesting to see a ship drop out of hyperspace into the aftermath of a supernova...

EXT. SPACE
The fighter races past the Corellian pirateship.
For whatever reason, I can't visualize this shot as it appears in the film. I have been trying to go through the script on its own merits, and I guess I have to this time for sure. If only there were something to glean from it...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can only assume the TIE fighter sort of double-backed against the Falcon to alter course back to the Death Star, the way I'm interpreting it, instead of the sort of straight line trajectory that we eventually saw in the final cut.

Reaction score
Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- DAY 84

INT. MILLENNIUM FALCON - COCKPIT
LUKE
It sure is leaving in a big hurry.
If they identify us, we're in big
trouble.

HAN
Not if I can help it. Chewie...jam
it's transmissions.

BEN
It'd be as well to let it go. It's
too far out of range.

HAN
Not for long...
This little exchange is full of character bits. Luke is driven by fear. Han is driven by bravado and contrariness. Chewie (no lines) is driven by his dedication. Ben is driven by his caution and confidence.

Reaction score
For me, Luke doesn't necessarily provide a specific resolution for their current situation, simply highlighting its impact if no course of action is taken. The resolution exchange is between Han and Ben, with Luke being almost a sort of observer.

Reaction score
Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- DAY 85

EXT. SPACE
The pirateship zooms over the camera and away into the
vastness of space after the Imperial TIE fighter.
I like that it literally says that the Falcon flies "over the camera" as opposed to "overhead." It is nice to think that the mentality always was to act like the events of the movie are really happening and are just being captured by cameras, and not being assembled through trickery.

Reaction score
Interesting choice of words indeed....almost feels it has that storyboard descriptor vibe to it.

Reaction score
Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- DAY 86

The tension mounts as the pirateship gains on the tiny
fighter. In the distance, one of the stars becomes brighter
until it is obvious that the TIE ship is heading for it. Ben
stands behind Chewbacca.

BEN
A fighter that size couldn't get
this deep into space on its own.

LUKE
It must have gotten lost, been part
of a convoy or something.

HAN
Well, he ain't going to be around long enough to tell anyone about us.
It was never obvious to me that there was a star getting brighter in the distance, at least not this early in the scene.

Also, "convoy." As a kid in the 70's that meant only one thing...

"This here's Rubber Duck!"

I have always liked the way Sir Alec delivers the line here...he phrases it as if he has just realized the detail, but it seems to me he is trying to introduce a warning to Han without triggering his "automatic reversal of any sane advice" habit.

Reaction score
Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- DAY 87

8590 views.

EXT. SPACE
The TIE fighter is losing ground to the larger pirateship as they race toward camera and disappear over head.
Removed from the visual style, these descriptions could easily lead to static "2001" style special effects. Once again, Lucas was using tools other than the script to convey the feeling he wanted out of this film. The spliced together fighter plane footage is an infamous example. Once the people helping finish the film "got" what he was trying to achieve things had a chance of becoming the iconic stuff we almost take for granted these days.

Reaction score
Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- DAY 88

The distant star can be distinguished as a small moon or
planet.

LUKE
Look at him. He's headed for that
small moon.

HAN
I think I can get him before he gets
there... he's almost in range.

The small moon begins to take on the appearance of a monstrous
spherical battle station.

BEN
That's no moon! It's a space station.

HAN
It's too big to be a space station.

LUKE
I have a very bad feeling about this.

HAN
Yeah, I think your right. Full
reverse! Chewie, lock in the auxiliary
power.

The pirateship shudders and the TIE fighter accelerates away
toward the gargantuan battle station.

LUKE
Why are we still moving towards it?

HAN
We're caught in a tractor beam! It's
pulling us in!

LUKE
But there's gotta be something you
can do!

HAN
There's nothin' I can do about it,
kid. I'm in full power. I'm going to
have to shut down. But they're not
going to get me without a fight!

Ben Kenobi puts a hand on his shoulder.

BEN
You can't win. But there are
alternatives to fighting.
Lots of fun with this one! First, it plays up the audience participation, because we have been to the Death Star before our heroes, and we know it was just in the Alderaan system...so we get to delight in the heroes' reactions to discovering the battle station. This sort of thing is important in popular movies--you have to give the audience something to anticipate and make them feel smart...it brings a feeling of goodwill to your movie.

Next we have a (dare I say it) iconic moment in Luke saying "I have a very bad feeling about this" for the first time. Again, it plays right along with us knowing how bad a place the Death Star is, we get to delight in nodding knowingly at Luke's appraisal of the situation.

Finally, we have the tiniest bit of growth in the relationship between Han and Ben. Han is obviously impressed by Ben's cool reaction to the realization that they have encountered something new, and awful. Han, despite his bravado, is basically giving up when he decides to go out guns a-blazin'. Ben's alternative is not immediately shot down, Han hears him out. This is a sign of either a growth in trust or complete desperation.

Reaction score
Next we have a (dare I say it) iconic moment in Luke saying "I have a very bad feeling about this" for the first time. Again, it plays right along with us knowing how bad a place the Death Star is, we get to delight in nodding knowingly at Luke's appraisal of the situation.
In a way, I'm happy Luke gets first dibs at it. In retrospect, I further ponder the idea now in lieu of his recent training if this was 'more' than just a simple gut feeling. B)

Ben's alternative is not immediately shot down, Han hears him out. This is a sign of either a growth in trust or complete desperation.
Who can say with 100% certainty if Rian Johnson sort of plays out this specific line in The Last Jedi when Rose 'teaches' Finn that sacrifice doesn't necessarily lead to victory (or from Finn's POV, not allowing the First Order to win), but staying alive to fight another day is a kind of teaching moment. Granted, it's potentially construed as a generalized philosophy, but Star Wars is 'notorious' for its parallel expositions from trilogy to trilogy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- DAY 89

INT. MILLENNIUM FALCON - DEATH STAR
As the battered pirate starship is towed closer to the awesome
metal moon, the immense size of the massive battle station
becomes staggering. Running along the equator of the gigantic
sphere is a mile-high band of huge docking ports into which the helpless pirateship is dragged.
This is a fun description, and I wish a mile-high band of docking ports had made it through the Death Star design. Instead it seems the docking ports went more inside than as a belt outside. Oh well.

Not script related, but I have always liked what I thought of as "Death Star music" which I have come to understand is the "Rebel Fanfare" that plays behind the tractor beam scene here. And I like that it is now associated with the Falcon in the sequels.

Reaction score
I trust the docking bays might have looked like this (along the left of the painting) with perhaps a Star Destroyer docked inside and serviced in one of the adjacent bays that the Falcon was drawn into in order to give us a sense of scale (since we've seen the scale of the Destroyer at the beginning). However, the Death Star equator with respect to the rest of the station, I suppose, works out in a similar way since we've a sense of scale between the Falcon and the equator in the final cut.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rogue One had a nice shot of the DS trench that included a docked Star Destroyer. You can see it on a good HD screen.

Reaction score
Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- DAY 90

I will have to seek out that image, toadmeister, it sounds neat!

EXT. DEATH STAR - HUGE PORT DOORS
The helpless Millennium Falcon is pulled past a docking port
control room and huge laser turret cannons.

VOICE OVER DEATH STAR INTERCOM

Clear Bay twenty-three-seven. We are opening the magnetic field.
Okay, this one is really interesting. First off, I love the location descriptor -- "Huge Port Doors" -- it's there and just screams "Okay, we'll figure out how to achieve this later."

Secondly, the disembodied voice gives us some great information on how this all works...apparently the open hangar bay doors were supposed to be protected by magnetic fields to keep the atmosphere in, with the field being dropped for ingress/egress. This would open the hangar bay to the vacuum, thus the order to clear the hangar bay. All this would be dropped by the time we get to Return of the Jedi, where the entirety of the Death Star II's troops gathered in a hangar bay as the Emperor's shuttle landed.

Reaction score
I'm thinking 'huge port doors' like a castle drawbridge gate/fortress motif.

And speaking of the Death Star II docking bay, the protective fields must be a really sensitive sound amplifier since we apparently HEAR the TIE fighter procession whizzing by outside of the docking bay!o-o

Going back to this scene, I did find it a bit of a headscratcher that the Falcon was allowed to blast away later w/o decompressing the entire landing bay, so I'm thinking the fields have some sort of feedback system where it allows mass traveling at a certain velocity to pass through but much slower traveling mass (like ambient air) to be retained. However, that still doesn't explain lowering of the fields when entering, so I find it a bit perplexing why these fields would be a 'one-way' permutation based on these observations. :\

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm thinking 'huge port doors' like a castle drawbridge gate/fortress motif.

And speaking of the Death Star II docking bay, the protective fields must be a really sensitive sound amplifier since we apparently HEAR the TIE fighter procession whizzing by outside of the docking bay!
o-o
Good connection to a middle-age castle / fortress.

I've always been a little curious on the sheild technology in SW (or magnetic field in this case). Ray sheilds, particle sheilds, etc.

Reaction score
Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- DAY 90

If you are interested in the mechanics of Star Wars technology, I urge you to seek out the West End Games "Star Wars Sourcebook" from 1987 or so. It really established a reality for the GFFA, so much so that the EU writers were instructed to use it as a framework for their use of Star Wars technology. It has game stats in it, but they don't interfere with the enrichment.

INT. DEATH STAR - DOCKING BAY 2037
The pirateship is pulled in through port doors of the Death
Star, coming to rest in a huge hangar. Thirty stormtroopers
stand at attention in a central assembly area.

OFFICER
To you stations!
(to another officer)
Come with me.
Now I don't know what they are going for. Here the ship is coming in the room while 30 stormtroopers stand assembled, after the magnetic fields have been dropped. Maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose of the magnetic fields, and they are intended to keep the ship from leaving once it is out of the tractor beam's grasp.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose of the magnetic fields, and they are intended to keep the ship from leaving once it is out of the tractor beam's grasp.

Or maybe it has something to do with the gravity fields inside the bay. When the fields are down, the bay is a zero-gee so as to allow the Falcon to gently enter the bay and rest on the bay floor w/o creating undo stress on the tractor beam emitter. During this time, the bay needs to be clear so that anyone in there doesn't go flying about.

Now these magnetic fields aren't really the artificial gravity fields per se, but perhaps are used to power up the grav plates along the floor of the bay to make them operate. Also, I would imagine these fields help with strengthening the structural integrity of the floor, walls and ceiling as well.

Utinniii

Reaction score
We see that the docking bay is littered with boxes and barrels so I expect it always has gravity. I always thought the magnetic shield was one that prevents things from entering/leaving. I felt like there were always several shields at play.

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought about the stuff on the floor as well although I figured the pieces would have their own magnetic attachments, but in the end, I guess it's just overthinking the whole thing.

Reaction score
Regardless of the technical merits of magnetic fields; The background chatter of DS air-traffic controllers do a good job of intimidating the audience along with the visuals.

Ralph McQuire's background paintings here are really amazing. Literally they are entering "the belly of the beast" and being swallowed whole.

Reaction score
Anyway, we hear Rebel ships passing through magnetic field(s) later on requiring deflector shields w/o veering off course . I figured those kinds of fields extend further out which are either the result of electromagnetic fields generated from all the hardware on the station itself and/or some kind of repulsive fields when the station travels at sublight to ward off space dust. (Think navigational deflector on the starship Enterprise).

Reaction score
Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- DAY 91

In light of all the magnetic field talk, I think I have cobbled together a theory that makes sense. The magnetic field acts as a deflector to keep space-bourne debris from entering the Death Star. (Can you imagine the Death Star blowing up Alderaan, only to be destroyed itself by the resulting meteor shower?) The precaution of clearing the hangar bay is just that, on the off-chance that some cosmic rays or asteroids find their way in...but the precaution is trumped by the orders to investigate the captured ship. The powered-down ship being hauled in by tractor beam requires these fields to be deactivated, else it would be deflected away as well. A ship flying with it's own ion drives or other sublight power sources is stronger than the magnetic field, as we do see when Red and Gold Squadron approach the Death Star later.

INT. DEATH STAR - HALLWAY

Stormtroopers run to their posts.
I think this is something notable because it is the first time we see a Death Star hallway. And we will soon be seeing lots of those.

Reaction score
More of the 'castle/fortress' motif added here I'd would assert, but this time now showing the 'castle guards'.

Reaction score
Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- DAY 92

INT. DEATH STAR - HANGAR 2037
A line of stormtroopers march toward the pirateship in
readiness to board it, while other troopers stand with weapons
ready to fire.

OFFICER
Close all outboard shields! Close all outboard shields!
So far these last few scenes have been a way over-the-top massive show of force on the Imperial side. This works for the viewer because the last time we saw our heroes they were talking about alternatives to a head-on fight. It is a different kind of tension being drawn, the kind where we are anticipating the trick but we don't know what it is going to be yet.

Plus it is important for the next segment of the film (to be clear, the Death Star Escape is my favorite part of the Star Wars saga) that we understand the odds against our heroes.

Reaction score
I've typically thought of the description of the troopers' readiness to fire as more displaying 'trained guns' on the Falcon rather than scrambling to assemble in formation as it appears more or less like that in the final cut.

Reaction score
:whistling:

Let's resume, shall we?

INT. DEATH STAR - CONFERENCE ROOM
Tarkin pushes a button and responds to the intercom buzz.

TARKIN
Yes.

VOICE
(over intercom)
We've captured a freighter entering
the remains of the Alderaan system.
It's markings match those of a ship
that blasted its way out of Mos
Eisley.

VADER
They must be trying to return the
stolen plans to the princess. She
may yet be of some use to us.
This is interesting in that the Voice on the intercom refers to "Mos Eisely" as opposed to "Tatooine..." We can really dig in here. If Tatooine is really just some unknown outer rim planet like we are usually told, then it makes perfect sense for the Voice to have no idea that Mos Eisely is not the name of a planet, he could hardly be expected to keep up with every planet name. If this information is being fed to him based on scanning to ship's ID, he's just passing along the information.

Tarkin, for his part, seems to have no reaction to this information.

That said, there is a guy in the room who knows the difference between a "Mos Eisely" and a "Tatooine," because he grew up there. And it is he who links the Falcon to the plans and the Princess.

In the end, it keeps the word Tatooine from being mentioned in this movie yet again. How did I know that name as a kid if it never gets a mention?

On the story front, Vader is beginning to hatch his "let them escape" plan already, right here in front of the audience while we are oblivious to his implication. Pretty good foreshadowing, though his plan will get an unforeseen wrinkle in the coming moments.

Reading Vader's lines, I can't help but recall how his body language does not line up with the dialogue in this scene as presented in the movie. One of those things that ought to have been fixed in the Special Edition, but wasn't...

More tomorrow, or six months from now...who knows? :confused:

Reaction score
Maybe it's like a "I'm from Chicago" thing. Mos Eisley is a popular destination, so that's what people think of first. Like, if I tell you I'm from Frankfort, I'll get blank stares or people are like "...Germany?" But if I say I'm from Chicago, people are like "OH! OF COURSE! I KNOW THAT WORD!"

Either that or they were being specific in that they had troops deployed in Mos Eisley and that's where they made their escape.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- D(ocking b)AY 94 (actually 2037)

2 days in a row! I'm on a roll!!

INT. DEATH STAR - DOCKING BAY 2037

Vader and a commander approach the troops as an Officer and
several heavily armed troops exit the spacecraft.

VOICE
(over intercom)
Unlock one-five-seven and nine.
Release charges.

OFFICER
(to Vader)
There's no one on board, sir.
According to the log, the crew
abandoned ship right after takeoff.
It must be a decoy, sir. Several of
the escape pods have been jettisoned.

VADER
Did you find any droids?

OFFICER
No, sir. If there were any on board,
they must also have jettisoned.

VADER
Send a scanning crew on board. I
want every part of this ship checked.

OFFICER
Yes, sir.

VADER
I sense something... a presence I
haven't felt since...

Vader turns quickly and exits the hangar.

OFFICER
Get me a scanning crew in here on
the double. I want every part of
this ship checked!
This scene just breezes by. The officer believes the ship is a worthless capture, and thus gets dismissed as "dumb" by the viewer who knows better. Vader, our true threat, is not as easily fooled, and thus earns credibility and respect in the viewers' eyes. When Vader drops the bombshell that he senses...soemthing...it is in true serial fashion. There's no one here he's really giving that information to except the viewer, he's amping the tension. With the prequels in mind, we can recall the last time he sensed that presence, and how conflicted and even unsure he might be in this moment.

Also, at this point we have no idea what Ben's plan was...did our heroes really escape in pods? Leaving out the last few minutes on board the Falcon was a good way to keep our attention and the tension high.

And if anyone can tell me what the Voice is going on about in this scene, I'd appreciate it! Charges? Odd numbers? What does it all mean?

Have a great day. More next time...

Reaction score
And if anyone can tell me what the Voice is going on about in this scene, I'd appreciate it!
While on the subjects of voices and this scene, the Officer was voiced by Harry Shearer of The Simpsons fame.

Reaction score
Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- Day 95

INT. MILLENNIUM FALCON - HALLWAY
A trooper runs through the hallway heading for the exit. In
a few moments all is quiet. The muffled sounds of a distant
officer giving orders finally fade. Two floor panels suddenly
pop up revealing Han Solo and Luke. Ben Kenobi sticks his
head out of a third locker.

LUKE
Boy, it's lucky you had these
compartments.

HAN
I use them for smuggling. I never
thought I'd be smuggling myself in
them. This is ridiculous. Even if I
could take off, I'd never get past
the tractor beam.

BEN
Leave that to me!

HAN
Damn fool. I knew that you were going
to say that!

BEN
Who's the more foolish... the fool
or the fool who follows him?

Han shakes his head, muttering to himself. Chewbacca agrees.
This scene pulls off the surprise reveal pretty well. The scheme is satisfying, though it gets a little clunky as Han explains to the audience exactly where they were under the floor and why.

We have a little character progression as well, with Han having gone back to his low opinion of the supposed Jedi. The audience knows better, we've seen Ben pull off some pretty neat stunts thus far, and we should be preparing for some serious action-adventure at this point.

Reaction score
Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- Day 96

Talking to myself again, huh?

INT. DEATH STAR - MAIN FORWARD BAY
The crewmen carry a heavy box on board the ship, past the
two stormtroopers guarding either side of the ramp.

TROOPER
The ship's all yours. If the scanners
pick up anything, report it
immediately. All right, let's go.

The crewmen enter the pirateship and a loud crashing sound
is followed by a voice calling to the guard below.

HAN'S VOICE
Hey down there, could you give us a
hand with this?

The stormtroopers enter the ship and a quick round of gunfire is heard.

This is a nice connector scene, a good "show don't tell." It let's the viewer figure out what is happening off-screen, which always makes me happy.

Reaction score
This scene pulls off the surprise reveal pretty well. The scheme is satisfying, though it gets a little clunky as Han explains to the audience exactly where they were under the floor and why.
Yeah, I hadn't thought about it but considering how other things in the universe get so little exposition, odd that they choose to hone in on this as worthy of taking time out to explain. It's also funny to me that the imperials walking through the ship are within an earshot and barely out of frame when our heroes loudly open the compartments.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- Day 97

I hadn't even thought about the relative closeness of the troopers in that scene, you're right. They should've turned around and come right back up!

Now today we have a scene..!

INT. DEATH STAR - FORWARD BAY - COMMAND OFFICE
In a very small command office near the entrance to the
pirateship, a Gantry Officer looks out his window and notices
the guards are missing. He speaks into the comlink.

GANTRY OFFICER
TX-four-one-two. Why aren't you at
your post? TX-four-one-two, do you
copy?

A stormtrooper comes down the ramp of the pirateship and
waves to the gantry officer, pointing to his ear indicating
his comlink is not working. The gantry officer shakes his
head in disgust and heads for the door, giving his aide an
annoyed look.

GANTRY OFFICER
Take over. We've got a bad
transmitter. I'll see what I can do.

As the officer approaches the door, it slides open revealing
the towering Chewbacca. The gantry officer, in a momentary
state of shock, stumbles backward. With a bone- chilling
howl, the giant Wookiee flattens the officer with one blow.
The aide immediately reaches for his pistol, but is blasted
by Han, dressed as an Imperial stormtrooper. Ben and the
robots enter the room quickly followed by Luke, also dressed
as a stormtrooper. Luke quickly removes his helmet.

LUKE
You know, between his howling and
your blasting everything in sight,
it's a wonder the whole station
doesn't know we're here.

HAN
Bring them on! I prefer a straight
fight to all this sneaking around.

THREEPIO
We found the computer outlet, sir.

Ben feeds some information into the computer and a map of
the city appears on the monitor. He begins to inspect it
carefully. Threepio and Artoo look over the control panel.
Artoo finds something that makes him whistle wildly.

BEN
Plug in. He should be able to
interpret the entire Imperial computer
network.

Artoo punches his claw arm into the computer socket and the
vast Imperial brain network comes to life, feeding information
to the little robot. After a few moments, he beeps something.

THREEPIO
He says he's found the main computer
to power the tractor beam that's
holding the ship here. He'll try to
make the precise location appear on
the monitor.

The computer monitor flashes readouts.

THREEPIO
The tractor beam is coupled to the
main reactor in seven locations. A
power loss at one of the terminals
will allow the ship to leave.

Ben studies the data on the monitor readout.

BEN
I don't think you boys can help. I
must go alone.

HAN
Whatever you say. I've done more
that I bargained for on this trip
already.

LUKE
I want to go with you.

BEN
Be patient, Luke. Stay and watch
over the droids.

LUKE
But he can...

BEN
They must be delivered safely or
other star systems will suffer the
same fate as Alderaan. Your destiny
lies along a different path than
mine. The Force will be with you...
always!

Ben adjusts the lightsaber on his belt and silently steps
out of the command office, then disappears down a long grey
hallway. Chewbacca barks a comment and Han shakes his head
in agreement.

HAN
Boy you said it, Chewie.

Han looks at Luke.

HAN
Where did you dig up that old fossil?

LUKE
Ben is a great man.

HAN
Yeah, great at getting us into
trouble.

LUKE
I didn't hear you give any ideas...

HAN
Well, anything would be better than
just hanging around waiting for him
to pick us up...

LUKE
Who do you think...

Suddenly Artoo begins to whistle and beep a blue streak.
Luke goes over to him.

LUKE
What is it?

THREEPIO
I'm afraid I'm not quite sure, sir.
He says "I found her", and keeps
repeating, "She's here."

LUKE
Well, who... who has he found?

Artoo whistles a frantic reply.

THREEPIO
Princess Leia.

LUKE
The princess? She's here?

HAN
Princess? What's going on?

THREEPIO
Level five. Detention block A A-twenty-
three. I'm afraid she's scheduled to
be terminated.

LUKE
Oh, no! We've got to do something.

HAN
What are you talking about?

LUKE
The droid belongs to her. She's the
one in the message... We've got to
help her.

HAN
Now, look, don't get any funny ideas.
The old man wants us to wait right
here.

LUKE
But he didn't know she was here.
Look, will you just find a way back
into the detention block?

HAN
I'm not going anywhere.

LUKE
They're going to execute her. Look,
a few minutes ago you said you didn't
want to just wait here to be captured.
Now all you want to do is stay.

HAN
Marching into the detention area is
not what I had in mind.

LUKE
But they're going to kill her!

HAN
Better her than me...

LUKE
She's rich.

Chewbacca growls.

HAN
Rich?

LUKE
Yes. Rich, powerful! Listen, if you
were to rescue her, the reward would
be...

HAN
What?

LUKE
Well more wealth that you can imagine.

HAN
I don't know, I can imagine quite a
bit!

LUKE
You'll get it!

HAN
I better!

LUKE
You will...

HAN
All right, kid. But you'd better be
right about this.

Han looks at Chewie, who grunts a short grunt.

LUKE
All right.

HAN
What's your plan?

LUKE
Uh... Threepio, hand me those binders
there will you?

Luke moves toward Chewbacca with electronic cuffs.

LUKE
Okay. Now, I'm going to put these on
you.

Chewie lets out a hideous growl.

LUKE
Okay. Han, you put these on.

Luke sheepishly hands the binders to Han.

HAN
Don't worry, Chewie. I think I know
what he has in mind.

The Wookiee has a worried and frightened look on his face as
Han binds him with the electronic cuffs.

THREEPIO
Master Luke, sir! Pardon me for
asking... but, ah... what should
Artoo and I do if we're discovered
here?

LUKE
Lock the door!

HAN
And hope they don't have blasters.

THREEPIO
That isn't very reassuring.

Luke and Han put on their armored stormtrooper helmets and
start off into the giant Imperial Death Star.
I mean, you know we've got a real scene on our hands when Threepio gets the button. ;)

This scene is so important to the whole movie, it's almost the spine of the structure of the film. We start with villains, and again are shown our heroes' plan rather than being told.

Most importantly, our heroes at long last are no longer reactive but proactive in their struggle. Ben goes off to meet his fate, leaving the dynamic of Han and Luke to work things out...and it turns out they can push each other very well, if a little sloppily in their planning.

There is a ton of exposition from Threepio, lining up the rest of the events onboard the Death Star. Artoo--arguably our true hero in all this--goes above and beyond by discovering the princess and getting Luke excited to mount a rescue. Han lets money (and let's face it, boredom) cajole him into going along with the plan. Maybe he realizes/fears Luke is going to attempt it with or without him, and he feels a little bit of responsibility.

Chewie gets plenty of development. He finally gets to show us his role as the muscle...and luckily it is after the kids in the audience have had time to get used to him in gentler scenes, so as not to scare them off. At the tail end of the scene Chewie also gets to have his reaction to being shackled, subtly giving us the shading of his species' slavery without having to spell it out.

We end with a joke at the droids' expense, which helps break the tension a bit and gives the audience the cue that this is going to be a fun adventure, even though we know the odds are heavily stacked against our heroes.

As I said, this is the true pivotal moment in the film. Our heroes have taken this moment to become proactive, to make the difference. To become the heroes the story has been setting them up to be.

Reaction score
The tractor beam is coupled to the main reactor in seven locations. A power loss at one of the terminals will allow the ship to leave.
I am fairly certain this line was not present in the version of the film I grew up watching. There seemed to be a long pause in the dialog while the schematics were on the screen with the sound of the machine whirring. It stood out as odd and knowing there was missing audio totally made sense when I finally learned of this error.

Great analysis of this scene by the way! We do learn a lot about the characters here!