Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (December 2023)

Reaction score

So growing up my friends and I spent countless hours playing Rogue Squadron on N64. After seeing Rogue One, we talked about how the fighter scenes reminded us of our favorite N64 game and how cool a movie based on that would be. Looks like dreams do come true.

"Wonder Woman 1984" director Patty Jenkins is heading to a galaxy far, far, away directing "Rogue Squadron" a new "Star Wars" movie.

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy made the announcement at The Walt Disney Company’s Investor Day 2020 Thursday.

Few details for the film were made available beyond the release date, Christmas 2023.

Jenkins vowed to make the "greatest fighter pilot movie of all time" in a clip shared on Twitter where she was seen boarding an X-wing fighter.

"The Legend of Rogue Squadron" has been "long beloved by 'Star Wars' fans," Kennedy said in the presentation, promising to move the franchise to "a future era of the galaxy."

Reaction score
Patty Jenkins surprised me with Wonder Women. I was getting weary with endless super hero movies. But that film was so much fun, I saw it twice in theatres. And it was very well directed. She is a smart pick for a Star Wars film.

Reaction score
I am so pumped for this. The Rogue Squadron games are my favorite and have wanted a movie based on X-wing pilots for so long. The best thing about Star Wars is everyone can like a different thing in this huge universe - you can like the Jedi, Sith, Mandalorians, with me its the pilots.

I read on JTA this will take place after TROS and not in the OT. If its set after TROS maybe they can get Denis Lawson back and have more than a 2 second cameo.

Reaction score
^^ this one is a feature film directed by Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman)

Reaction score
My only concern is it will be similar to Top Gun. I want action action action. Speeders tying up walkers, X-Wings engaging and Imperial fighters locked in dogfights, Y-Wings bombing something. Just like the game.

Reaction score
So far it's a Theatrical releases, and have to that say I'm definitely intrigued by the idea of a more Rebellion centric story. Just curious what era they are setting it in, concurrent with Mandalorian or during the Empire's reign? Feels a bit odd to do it during OT era because we already know 90% of the Pilots, so adding new ones would be adding trouble. At least during Mando's era it could, be an all new Rogue Squadron with new characters.

Reaction score
Kind of what I'm thinking, Top Gun in Space and with X-Wings! lol
It does sound interesting to get more of a focus on this aspect rather than just a few bits here an there throughout a movie. That said I hope it's not 100% flight combat like the game. lol

Still curious what era. That comment from Kennedy about moving Star Wars to "a future era of the galaxy" was rather vague, did she mean for this movie or just in general.

Reaction score
Pretty sure this is a movie (and if you somehow haven't heard it's the first female directed Star Wars movie)

Kind of a cool concept although I'm not sold on the era. Btw it's the first female directed Star Wars movie.

Reaction score
Just taking the silhouette in the logo, I'd say its more OT area then ST
The X-wing in the official teaser was a T-65 also and not the T-70. I do hope its set in the OT. If its after TROS I'll still be exited. It's Rogue Squadron!

Reaction score
As disappointed i was in the sequel trilogy, i did enjoy the stand alone movies and i have to say that i'm quite excited by this.

I do hope they don't try to shoehorn ST characters into it though. The Star Wars Galaxy seems small at the moment.

Reaction score
I'm going to feel betrayed and hugely disappointed if this is set in the sequel era, or even post TROS. This needs to be about THE Rogue Squadron of the OT.

Reaction score
I'm going to feel betrayed and hugely disappointed if this is set in the sequel era, or even post TROS. This needs to be about THE Rogue Squadron of the OT.
is that conformed or just speculation? I too am not much interested in the ST era or immediately after. Jump the setting to 20 years after and maybe it becomes more appealing, when we don't have to deal with the bad taste of the trash that just happened. Be a good opportunity to start fresh.

As for setting it in OT it get problematic because you can't really introduce new characters, at least not for Rogue Squadron. It would have to take place post ROTJ for that to happen same as the books. Now they could do a movie set during the OT era if it wasn't about Rogue Squadron but a different one. IDK

Reaction score
Rogue Squadron will only work, if the Main Characters are the following – Wedge Antilles, Tycho Celchu, Wes Janson, Derek ‘Hobbie’ Klivian & the script to be written by Michael A. Stackpole. And for characters from the Disney EU, how about Horra Wexley & a young Temmin ‘Snap’ Wexley, as well Shara Bay-Dameron & a young Poe Dameron.
I know that this would mean recasting Wedge & I know how many here feel about recasting classic characters, but I think it would work here because Wedge wasn’t a main character, most people don’t know that he was in all 3 of the OT & that he was played by Dennis Lawson. I say this because here in the UK, there is a quiz show called ‘Pointless’ & there was a question a few years ago that asked people to name someone that appear in all three original movies & Dennis Lawson was a Pointless answer along with Jack Purvis.

Reaction score
Then it won’t work for you. Because they’ve already said that’s NOT what it’s about.

Reaction score
judging by the T-65 in the Patty Jenkins video, it does not take place in the ST era. I'm guessing it's the same era as Mando. (set after ROTJ)

Reaction score
if this is indeed a sequel to RO, it would be cool if this movie ended ~5minutes before the events of ESB (the same way RO ended ~5minutes before the events of ANH)

Reaction score
If it's OT era, I'll watch. Anything to do with the ST era, I'll just automatically reject at this point. I can't see it being too interesting if it's set during the same period as 'The Mandalorian' though. X Wing pilots seem to be just cops by then. Fat middle aged blokes in spaceships patrolling lanes for traffic violations. :LOL:

It would be ideal if it was set during the 3 years between 'Star Wars' and 'The Empire Strikes Back' and focus on Rebel military ops against Imperial targets. There's a hill worth fracking.

pod

Reaction score
These new series are hitting all over the SW timeline, so there absolutely should be something set squarely in the OT. Rogue 1 showed how that can work with secondary characters (for the most part) and still be a big success and logical part of the saga. A Rogue Squadron set pre-Empire would work just as well. Some recasts, some new characters, some old footage or "deaged." Also, no need for a bunch of origin/background that way, just dive into the action! How cool would it be to have the movie open with a big battle between Rogue and Red Squadrons against the Empire, including old unused footage of Luke in Red 5!

Reaction score
This is a quote from the Press Release that appeared on starwars.com yesterday.

‘The next Star Wars feature film will be Rogue Squadron — directed by Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman franchise). The story will introduce a new generation of starfighter pilots as they earn their wings and risk their lives in a boundary-pushing, high-speed thrill-ride, and move the saga into the future era of the galaxy.’

MARK2D2 & pod, where does it say that ‘Rogue Squadron’ is a sequel to ‘Rogue One’, also how is that even possible, since Rogue Squadron has been parts of Star Wars for 40 Years, ‘Rogue One’ was named after them. Rogue Squadron would be first fresh out in 1989 by West End Games in Galaxy Guide 3, The Empire Strikes Back, where it says that Luke & Wedge form Rogue Squadron & they were press into service Snowspeeder Pilots during the battle of Hoth, it also mentions Wes Janson & Derek ‘Hobbie’ Klivian. In 1991 Wedge would be included in ‘Heir to the Empire’ by Timothy Zahn, ‘Rogue Squadron’ were reintroduced in multiple comics & books starting 1995, where we first met Tycho Celchu.

Now I know what you are going to say, it not canon anymore & you would be right, but it is part of the history that made Star Wars, just because Disney forgot about doesn’t mean I have.

Reaction score
This the one I'm looking forward to the most. Post ST so we'll be in all new territory which is a good thing. Milking and mining the OT era is just tiresome. I wonder if Wedge will be involved somehow?

Reaction score
This the one I'm looking forward to the most. Post ST so we'll be in all new territory which is a good thing. Milking and mining the OT era is just
tiresome. I wonder if Wedge will be involved somehow?
Yea 'cause involving Wedge wouldn't be milking the OT (and from the bottom of the barrel no less)

GNT

Reaction score
OT era would be nice but maybe in the timeline of Mandalorian would be better suited, help tie in the current era of SW

Reaction score
So if you watch this of from the original post:

I don't think anyone can reasonably argue she wasn't the best pick. So what if she's a woman? Who cares? LISTEN to this pitch. Frankly, it almost made me cry in the sense that I've lost good friends and family who were in the military. The fact that she lost her father, a fighter pilot, to combat...means this will have character and emotion more than most modern SW pictures. This film will likely be a loving goodbye letter to her father. I've personally dubbed it as the pesudo-sequel to Rogue One, a film I adored and that had a lot of ethical questions and emotion.

Frankly, when you consider her life experience, I don't think they could have picked a better choice to helm this.

My love for those old games, I played all of them, is through the roof.

Now much like how really, Tarkin kind of had to be in RO if it's dealing with the final days of the construction of the Death Star, I feel like (since this has to be at least during or near the OT era) Wedge has to at the least cameo in this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OT era would be nice but maybe in the timeline of Mandalorian would be better suited, help tie in the current era of SW
The problem there is what will they do? Can't imagine anything more boring than showing a military force during peacetime. Sure, there are mopping up exercises and anti-partisan actions they can engage in, but I don't know how long that will hold the interest for.

The two fat lads in 'The Mandalorian' look basically like cops doing "cockpit admin" on low level beats, because the war is essentially over.

Personally, if this show is a goer, setting it during the war is the only way to do it.

Reaction score
Now much like how really, Tarkin kind of had to be in RO if it's dealing with the final days of the construction of the Death Star, I feel like (since this has to be at least during or near the OT era) Wedge has to at the least cameo in this.
With the EU being jettisoned, Disney can do what they wish really. But considering that, in real life, a squadron is a pretty small unit (12 or more aircraft), not having Wedge appear in some capacity would be remiss. But I don't know what aircraft constitution amounts to in Star Wars. "Rogue" is also the name of a group as we hear in 'The Empire Strikes Back', which is 3 or 4 squadrons (again, in real life). So, this particular part of "Rogue Group" may not have any contact at all with either Luke or Wedge.

Most people here will probably know that I'm against recasts completely. But, I think Wedge Antilles is one of those Star Wars people that could be recast comfortably enough, as most people wouldn't have a clue who he is. "Wedge? That's something you stick in a door, right?" But Dennis Lawson has a distinctive enough face and it won't be an easy thing to do. I suppose, you could slap a load of makeup on Lawson and stick a helmet over his head and it might work for a quick cameo 😁 .

If this show is more aimed at the military side of Star Wars and set during the civil war, though, it could be right up my street. In fact, it may turn out to be the show I most like.

Last edited: