Rebels Star Wars Rebels

GNT

Reaction score
According to Lucasfilm - "We are exploring a whole new Star Wars series set in a time period previously untouched in Star Wars films or television programming," according to the company.

Thoughts and ideas on where will they go now? Post ROTJ would make sense.

Reaction score
^
I agree. Post ROTJ or possibly the Dark Times. Maybe they will take those live action series scripts off the shelf and just go ahead and animate those stories. I'm almost more excited about this new animated series than I am for the Sequel Trilogy.

I wonder if Ahsoka will be one of the few characters to carry over to the new series.

Reaction score
Really ??? Excellent !!!
I like this idea...especially the 'explore other areas/times of the universe'
Please no lame character cross-over like Ahsoka the lame whiney punk.
I would love an exploration into non-jedi/sith areas of the universe....the whats really going on in the galaxy drama.
I don't think it should be centered around any time age close to the OT...Thats for the sequal movies.
Something new and different please !!!

Reaction score
If Episode VII is going to be 30-40 years post ROTJ, then the series could give us the backstory that leads into the next trilogy. This could be how they merge the EU with the sequel trilogy. Imagine seeing the Thrawn trilogy on screen, animated by Dave Filoni and crew! We could even have Sam Witwer voice Thrawn!!!!!!!

Reaction score
I'd like to see a series that takes place between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. Starting when the Rebels leave Yavin and ending when they establish their base on Hoth.

Reaction score
I'd be up for post-ROTJ, Dark Times, or the KOTOR era. I think I'd prefer the KOTOR era.

Reaction score
I would prefer something not related to the movie eras but I think it will be. Disney seems to be about bringing their projects together, so this very well maybe set between VI and VII. What I am curious about though would it be something to help launch VII or would be going on at the same time to help give VII characters more depth or just bring us up to speed about what Luke/Leia/Han have been up to for the unknown years...

Preferably though, if they want it set during movie times I would rather it be something between III and IV.

Ideally though, it would be something set way in the past to bring all new characters

Reaction score
I'd love to see a series on the KOTOR or TOR eras. Aside from the Thrawn Trilogy, I'm not really interested in post-ROTJ.

Is it an animated or live action series?

Reaction score
They talked about a new animated series....
That's the thing post-ROTJ, for all we know it could all be scrapped or they might pick and choose stories that still do/could exist. For some stories though would mean keeping various EU characters that have been created and some people are against that.

Reaction score
I think Disney is going to want something set more around the movies to tie things together.
At this time, I don't think Disney is really ready to branch out yet in other eras

Reaction score
KOTOR/TOR-ish eras have the most open potential... there's literally THOUSANDS of years they could play with.

The era between III and IV is the domain of the shelved live action series... it's an era that's probably way, way too dark for an animated series (whee, Vader hunting down & killing nearly every hero we meet... that sounds like... fun. :|) The Dark Times comics are enough for me.

Between IV and V... well there's that new Star Wars ongoing comic that just started a couple months ago, taking a fresh stab at that era. I'd rather they leave it at that, but with 3 years between the films they COULD pretty easily created a TCW-style series to fill that gap and have it last several seasons. The main drawback for me is there won't be much Jedi action, since Luke's a novice and won't even get much help from Ben's voice in that time, and confrontations with Vader would get tired REALLY fast--more so than Anakin's repeated encounters with Dooku in TCW or Obi-Wan w/ Grievous, IMO. On the up side, hopefully lots of OT starfighter combat, lots of Falcon action, lots of story arcs taking Han AWAY from the Rebellion for a job maybe, or on some adventure with Luke and/or Leia. It'd be a way to have OT goodness, Rebels vs Imperials... but very, very little Jedi stuff.

Post-ROTJ, though, could be a way for Disney to establish whatever new continuity they want between VI and VII, which is a big blank canvas. Ideally, they'll be able to incorporate a bunch of stuff from existing EU when it's stuff that doesn't directly conflict with VII--adapted, of course, so changes are pretty inevitable. And post-ROTJ, you could still have some Rebel vs Imperial if they start early in the mix, right after the film, with the Empire reeling over the loss of its leader and a big chunk of its fleet. They could tackle something like the Thrawn Trilogy, Luke starting up the Jedi again with other students--that might be the best way to finish up Ahsoka's story: have her (and others) appear in a lead-in series, rather than making it too cheesy or too much of a stretch by appearing in EpVII itself. At the end of ROTJ, she'd be in her late 30s. Luke can help them become Jedi again if they want, and they could help Luke build his new order--and avoid some of the pitfalls of the old, maybe, if the spirits themselves don't/won't help him. Regardless, post-ROTJ would be the best era for Disney if they're focusing everything (but the spin-offs) on the ST. Tons of time to play with, plenty of threats that could come & go, new characters to be introduced and disposed of (or not!) as needed, more Jedi action than a IV/V gap-filler, still plenty of OT-style goodness w/ ships & tech (c'mon, who doesn't wanna see B-wings in actual combat outside of video games?)

Reaction score
I'm good with anything really, when it comes down to it. However, post ROTJ doesn't strike me as the best era choice when there are films in the works that are set close to that time. They could be running the risk of taking some of the freshness away from the new trilogy. Yes, it would still be a good tie-in for the new films, but it seems a crime to go there when the KotoR eras are just exploding with all kinds of untapped potential. It's a huge, huge canvass with far less continuity constraints (especially given Lfl's tendency to cherry pic and/or pave over EU anyway).

But, I'll admit that I'm biased; seeing armies of Sith, instead of just two (or even four), has been a big dream of mine. The OT or 'immediate Post-OT' era just isn't as interesting to me as it used to be for the similar reason of there being too few Jedi and Sith running around. But, as I said I'm ultimately game for wherever they go, especially if there's the chance of seeing more Animated style toys. Give me an Animated style Storm Trooper with articulation akin to the initial CW Clone and I could almost call it a day.

I would love to see how Lfl would handle the Dawn era...that to me would be reeeeeeeeeally interesting, though I do concede that could be too risky for prime-time tv, given that there wouldn't be much that was recognizable to the mainstream.

Lastly...regarding KotoR eras....Lfl does already have those spiffy models of Darth Bane and Darth Revan sitting in their asset files, just itching to be given some life, so who knows! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Till now we’ve had the gap between ATOC and ROTS filled. How about between ANH and ESB? Ok, not so popular, then how about that huge gap between TPM and ATOC? They don’t need to cover the WHOLE ten years, just an important part of it, like Grievous’ fatal accident or his transformation using Sifo-Dyas’ blood which brings us to something else, Count Dooku’s fall and rise as Darth Tyranous, the order to create the clone army, Dooku duelling and killing Sifo-Dyas. They don’t have to make a show about it, just a feature film. I know there’s a lot of EU material out there otherwise we wouldn’t have been having this conversation. I just want some of that stuff on-screen. (Labyrinth of Evil, now that would make a fine CG animated movie using the same engine as The Clone Wars as we’ve seen these last episodes.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nope, TPM/AOTC gap is out as a show. They're done with the Prequel-era--and, really, there's NOTHING to show in that time except what you describe: Dooku turning, betraying Sifo-Dyas or whatever, Grievous becoming Grievous, and... that's it. A couple episodes' worth of stuff. Maybe a couple arcs. You're still looking at less than a season of material, and that's JUST for the villains. The heroes... snoozefest. Obi-Wan bossing Anakin around. Anakin resenting him. Yawn. Tween/teen Anakin would be more annoying than AOTC Anakin & TPM Anakin combined, probably. No thanks.

Admittedly, you COULD do plenty with other Jedi--but there's no cohesive 'thing' to tie it together like the actual war of the Clone Wars. "Road to the Clone Wars"? Lotta boring political jibber-jabber, lot of Jedi going on various scattered missions of diplomacy or stopping local trouble with pirates or whatnot... and the same tired, "we know they're safe" characters. I'd much rather have the less-tired "we know they're safe" characters of ANH/ESB or post-ROTJ, particularly the latter. If we're gonna have the post-ROTJ EU trampled on, I'd rather it happen in a series where they can give nods to it than a series of books rewriting the time from VI to VII. The one great flaw in ANY attempt at redoing post-ROTJ is that, while it might mesh with VII, VIII could come along and screw it all up--animated series, books, comics, whatever. Could be AOTC all over again, messing up what the comics (and action figures) had been doing with TPM characters.

Of course, if the filmmakers and the post-ROTJ series crew worked TOGETHER--or, rather, COMMUNICATED well, to make sure the series wasn't gonna spoil anything but that the movies likewise wouldn't step on the toes of what the series was creating--then it could be something really special and not have to suffer the retcon barrage that happened in the comics & books after each prequel film was released. "Oh, crap, the clones change armor and have names? Um.... okay, we'll do a story set just before the movie, to get rid of the two primary Separatist agents and introduce the Phase 2 clones and names. Oh, wait, there aren't many plain white clones in the movie? ...crap." TCW was a massive retcon of much of the previous Clone Wars EU--with the benefit of hindsight. They KNEW the clones would get names, they KNEW the clones would get custom armor and change helmets, so they could introduce all of that a lot sooner and more organically than Dark Horse's last-minute "Um HERE YOU GO!" dump where Odd Ball was the first named clone Anakin encountered outside of ARC Trooper Alpha in the entire war, so close to the END of the war.

So... yeah. IF it's post-ROTJ, I hope they work together, AND manage to include at least some of the good EU into the mix (and don't turn Thrawn into a mixed martial arts fighter or something)

Reaction score
They don’t need to cover the WHOLE ten years……. They don’t have to make a show about it, just a feature film.
That’s what I meant earlier. TPM/ATOC gap would be too dull for an entire show. Just a 80-120min feature film (CG) showing us those important events.
And Toonimator, I agree with you about that teen Anakin thing being more annoying than TPM/ATOC Anakin combined!!! (Also lol'd at your comment about Obi-Wan bossing Anakin around;))

Reaction score
Pre-Episode I (modern or ancient times), Episode III to Episode IV gap (watching Order 66 sweep the galaxy WOULD be fun), Episode IV to Episode V gap, or Episode VI to Episode VII gap would all be fine with me. My preference would be for a series set thousands of years ago or during the Episode VI to VII gap, though, which I think are probably the two most likely eras the series will be anyway.

Reaction score
A series based on the TOR era might help SWTOR increase the number of its players. Unfortunately I don't think we'll have the same type of animation as in the trailers but a style similar to TCW would be ok I guess (especially since the character designs in the game are maybe closer to the TCW style).

Reaction score
Of course they wouldn't--COULDN'T--have the same type of animation in a TOR series as in the trailers.

Reaction score
A series based on the TOR era might help SWTOR increase the number of its players. Unfortunately I don't think we'll have the same type of animation as in the trailers but a style similar to TCW would be ok I guess (especially since the character designs in the game are maybe closer to the TCW style).
That would be great but I just don't see it happening

Reaction score
I wouldn't object to using the new series as an introduction to the new characters from the ST. Boba Fett was introduced in the Holiday Special, and that worked out for everyone.

Reaction score
I would prefer something not related to the movie eras but I think it will be. Disney seems to be about bringing their projects together, so this very well maybe set between VI and VII.
Agreed, so this is why I'm already bored. I don't want every avenue of SW material to be OT related.
This isn't Marvel and there's no need to tie everything together.

Personally I'd prefer the KotOR era, or several hundred years post ROTJ.
Even a few hundred years he before TPM would be fine, but nothing that directly relates to the OT characters.

That said I could also get into the Dark Times story line, if they wanted to explore that era.
It's obvious Legacy is out the door, or at least the version we know is.

Is it an animated or live action series?
I've heard them comment on both, so who knows what actually will happen.
Obviously it's cheaper to do Animated, so that's what I think they'll do first.

Reaction score
I would assume the new trilogy is 30 years or so later. Maybe 20.

I would assume it's about luke or han and leia's kids.

So I would assume they are already in their late teens or early 20's in the movies.

So I would love the new series to maybe be Luke and such training them at 12 or so.

But what I really want is a rogue squad animated series starring wedge and guest starring the original trilogy cast here and there.

Reaction score
^
I don't know what I want for sure but I am pretty sure I don't want a movie about Luke training a bunch of young people. Just sounds boring to me.

Leave that stuff to the books.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ideally, it would be nice to go to an era not connected with the movies and have a fresh take on something. People have suggested various areas already touched upon by the EU, just know that if they do that they will change the EU of that era... So I would love to see something brand new, never touched by anything and create brand new stories. That way Disney can put their own touch on Star Wars.

Reaction score
I really hope we got something completely new. To many, nothing will ever compare to the OT. I really don't want to move forward hearing the OT fans whine because nothing will ever satisfy them.

kk1

Reaction score
I have a feeling it will be the gap between ROTS and ANH, which if you think about it would be the perfect era to see the fate of the Prequel characters while reintroducing the OT characters until we get to EP VII. So we get to see a grown up Ahsoka and Boba Fett and a young Han Solo and Wedge Antilles. We get to see a precocious little Luke flying his Skyhopper through Beggar's Canyon and the Clone Troopers turn in their armor for some updated Stormtrooper duds while driving their new AT-AT's on Kasshyyk to enslave the Wookies.

Reaction score
Although I want something completely new, as many of you indicated, the new series will most likely tie-in to characters that we already know. It makes sense to a degree. I just want something fresh and new. Something no one was really expecting.

Reaction score
A story that takes place between ROTS and ANH is what interests me the most when it comes to lead-ins for movies. They could do post-ROTJ, but I dont think it would be as interesting. I've always wanted to see a movie version of TFU, so including elements from those stories in this series would be fantastic. It could also bring back Ahsoka, Maul, Rex, Ventress, etc if those characters arent resolved in the final CW episodes...

Reaction score
As much as I want more Clone Wars--something I never really thought I'd ever say about anything in the PT era--I really don't want "Clone Wars: 10 years later" as the series. I DON'T want to see Vader hunting down Jedi across the galaxy. Too depressing. I DON'T want them to just kill off Ahsoka & Ventress in the Dark Times. I DON'T want Rex & Maul's fates delayed until after ROTS.

There's nothing exciting about the Dark Times. The Rebellion doesn't really get momentum for YEARS, and only has its first major victory just before ANH begins. Yeah, there's Stormtroopers and Vader and all, but it's also a lot of politicians going "Okay, so, this rebellion, we're gonna do this, right? How're we gonna do this?" and a lot of Jedi/ex-Jedi running & hiding & always leaving us with the feeling that they're doomed to death at the hands of Vader & the Empire. Not really into that.

Post-ROTJ, you've got mopping up Imperial leftovers... you've got building the new Republic... building the new Jedi... taking on those who seek to fill the power vacuum left by the Emperor's death... so no iconic villains, but plenty of iconic heroes, and not nearly as bleak as the Dark Times would be.

Reaction score
Honestly, if they do between III and IV I would rather they focus on new characters not established and show a different side of things. Maybe different smugglers or bounty hunters. Kinda like the live action show was supposed to. I really don't want more of Darth Vader hunting Jedi because I think Dark Times comic does it better than a show would

Reaction score
Darth Vader hunting down Jedi would not be a good show.

A small group of Jedi on the run from Darth Vader, The Empire and Bounty Hunters would be an excellent show.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I still think it's too bleak... you'd still be expecting most/all of them to die. It'd be Ahsoka & Rex all over again. I know most COULD survive, provided they quit being Jedi or keep their heads down, but it'd still feel kinda tired. Not that the alternative, post-ROTJ, would be less tired... we'd KNOW that the Big Three survive, and that their kids probably do, too, etc. It'd be the supporting cast where anything goes. So, in that respect, it'd be nice to have a "Game of Thrones" era, where NONE of the main cast are known from the movies and everyone's fair game.

Dark Times feels like it'd be trading in that kind of cast, where anyone COULD die, for a cast of heroes where--in the minds of far, far too many fans--everyone SHOULD die. I'm thrilled to pieces that Ahsoka survived TCW (unless what's left of the show kills her off), but I'd rather not have another show where tons of people are expecting the 'expendable' characters--which would be every Jedi/ex-Jedi in the show--to absolutely die by the end of it.

Reaction score
It better not be Mickey Mouse and the rest of the gang as Star Wars characters or I'm turning in my SW fan card. lol