Star Wars Rebels - General TV Show Discussion Thread

Reaction score
Excellent vehicle and driver, it will make for a cool figure. I'm glad it looks different than the mcquarrie snowtrooper.

Reaction score
Really like the colors and the design. I'm more inclined to not pass him up, but I'll most likely not watch the show.
CW show had a few not so good episodes but there were a lot of great story Arcs that I loved watching. I say all Star Wars fans should at least give Rebels a shot. You may enjoy it as much as I did CW.

Reaction score
I enjoyed CW in spite of myself; if you've only seen the movie, you've seen some of the worst of the episodes ("Stinky?" Really?). Filoni and Kilian Plunkett really "get" SW, and I look forward with great relish to "Rebels."

Reaction score
Like any TV show, there were good episodes and not so good episodes. As a whole, I thought Clone Wars was pretty good. I expect Rebels to be about the same.

Reaction score
It was new Star Wars on TV and kept new merchandise on the shelves and allowed Star Wars to stay relevant during a time where there were no movies being produced...but for the most part CW just didn't do it for me.

Sure there were some fun story arcs and cool new characters that I would like to see make the jump to future projects or even the new movies (Cad Bane and Ahsoka for example) but so much of CW was just more PT fluff and junk and some of it really stretched it as far as "is this REALLY Star Wars"

I know that it is sci fi and fantasy and I guess anything goes but everything that had to do with the Father/Son characters and even all the witchcraft stuff involving Savage Oppress just did not remind me of Star Wars at all. I felt like I was watching a Marvel cartoon or something.

I think Rebels will be better suited for me - the timeframe that it is set in might call for things to be a but more "grounded"

Reaction score
I honestly was disappointed to see the Inquisitor at all because I don't want to see anything about force powers or lightsabers. I want Star WARS, not Star Jedi Knights. That's what I want from Rebels.

Reaction score
I honestly was disappointed to see the Inquisitor at all because I don't want to see anything about force powers or lightsabers. I want Star WARS, not Star Jedi Knights. That's what I want from Rebels.
Jedi have been a huge part of Star Wars from the beginning. "Use the Force, Luke," at the climax of ANH. Luke's journey being driven by a desire to be a Jedi, like his father. Sure, it's not the focus of the movie, but it's still a big part of it. Or Obi-Wan vs. Vader. Or "The Force is strong with this one." Or, "As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror..."

The Force, the Jedi, the Sith, they're all big parts of Star Wars. Sure, they don't always have to be central like they have been since the PT–Luke and Han did spend the majority of ANH using blasters, after all. Luke still used a blaster on Bespin. Vader, Obi-Wan, and Luke were the only characters in the OT who were actually seen to own a lightsaber. I expect Rebels to be similar to this; there will be the Inquisitor, and Vader, and Ezra for Force sensitives, and Kanan will own a lightsaber but may or may not actually be a Force-sensitive. Meanwhile, we have the Syndulla girl and Zeb and Chopper and stormtroopers who will not be Force-sensitive, so maybe it won't be as big a focus as it was in the PT era of storytelling.

Reaction score
No. LUKE was a Jedi-to-be, Ben was a Jedi-that-was, and Vader was a fallen Jedi. That's 3 characters out of a billion. It was something "special" for the character to have on his hero's journey.

I liked Luke best in ANH, and somewhat in ESB. In Jedi he was just a mopey ****. Same with Han; by Jedi he's just a neutered doofus. I want the Rebels vs. Empire, scrappy fighters; WWII in space. I don't want any more pseudo-mystical mumbo-jumbo and kung fu wire moves.

I recognize that you're probably right, but I hate it.

Reaction score
The PT lost the scrappy fighter aspect and focused highly on the Jedi. Brown robes and lightsabers were everywhere. It made the Jedi absolutely boring. I much prefer the "last of of a kind, hard to find" Jedi of the OT. Luke was fumbling throygh that lost Jedi culture, and it was interesting as hell. Add to that the scrappy fighter aspect. That's what made Star Wars so amazing to me. I loved when the empire forced the rebels to retreat from the battle of Hoth. They made it out just barely, but were ok and ready to fight another day.

Reaction score
If Rebels is half as good as CW, then we'll have a decent show. However the 1st season of CW was more for younger kids, each season got a little more mature but every so often they'll throw in crappy episodes or characters in the episode which were like Disney cartoony already or just boring.

Reaction score
The Jedi brown robes thing in the PT was also wrong; Ben wasn't wearing Jedi Robes on Tatooine, he was wearing moisture farmer gear. Either that or Uncle Owen and half the inhabitants of Mos Eisley were also Jedi.

Reaction score
The Jedi brown robes thing in the PT was also wrong; Ben wasn't wearing Jedi Robes on Tatooine, he was wearing moisture farmer gear. Either that or Uncle Owen and half the inhabitants of Mos Eisley were also Jedi.
Don't give Disney any ideas--they want to get as much of that 4Bil back as fast as they possibly can! ;)

Reaction score
The PT lost the scrappy fighter aspect and focused highly on the Jedi. Brown robes and lightsabers were everywhere. It made the Jedi absolutely boring. I much prefer the "last of of a kind, hard to find" Jedi of the OT. Luke was fumbling throygh that lost Jedi culture, and it was interesting as hell. Add to that the scrappy fighter aspect. That's what made Star Wars so amazing to me. I loved when the empire forced the rebels to retreat from the battle of Hoth. They made it out just barely, but were ok and ready to fight another day.
I totally agree. Even as a kid, Luke whole "Jedi journey" was the most boring part of the films for me. I was always much more interested in the battles and cool looking aliens. Too much focus on Jedi just bores me out of my mind. Especially when it gets as mystical and silly as all that Mortis crap from Clone Wars.

Yeah, it's ridiculous that Obi-Wan would be in hiding but still wearing his Jedi robes. Honestly, with the way the Jedi "hid" Luke on Tatooine I'd really hate to see them in charge of a witness protection program. Let's see, they don't even bother to change Luke's last name, they put him on the exact same planet that his dad grew up on, and they even stuck him in the care of the last remnants of any kind of family that Darth Vader had. Translation: the Jedi are idiots.

Reaction score
Actually, is it not entirely possible that the whole point to the Jedi robes is to mimic the outfits of the common people? I always thought that modesty was a valued trait among the Jedi, in the sense that there suppose to be servants of the people of the galaxy, not their rulers, so they shied away from extravagance. So instead of wearing extravagant outfits that could rival the wealthiest Senators, they wore outfits that were not out of place on backwater planets like Tatooine. Obviously we see some examples to the contrary, but they tend to be the exception.

As for leaving Luke on Tatooine, you do have to take into consideration the fact that the planet is extremely insignificant to the Galactic Empire, it's main importance really stems from it's use by the Hutts. Up until Leia attempted to recruit Obi-Wan for her mission, Vader had little reason to ever return to the planet. He had no knowledge that Luke was even alive until the events of ANH and considering Palpatine was in the process of building the Empire up, Owen was probably seen as a non-issue, since there was little evidence to even link Vader to Anakin in the first place.

Reaction score
In the original versions of ROTJ, Owen was actually Obi-Wan's brother, which is why he chose to hide Luke with them. That makes a lot more sense than putting Luke with people that Vader would have had clear memories of.

Reaction score
Actually, is it not entirely possible that the whole point to the Jedi robes is to mimic the outfits of the common people?
I can see this argument, but it's really not that "common people" wear robes, it's that people on Tatooine do. Because we don't see "commoners" on Bespin wearing robes like that, and anyway they're kind of suited for a desert environment. I think it's a case of the TPM art department making the wrong call.

Reaction score
Actually, is it not entirely possible that the whole point to the Jedi robes is to mimic the outfits of the common people? I always thought that modesty was a valued trait among the Jedi, in the sense that there suppose to be servants of the people of the galaxy, not their rulers, so they shied away from extravagance. So instead of wearing extravagant outfits that could rival the wealthiest Senators, they wore outfits that were not out of place on backwater planets like Tatooine. Obviously we see some examples to the contrary, but they tend to be the exception.

As for leaving Luke on Tatooine, you do have to take into consideration the fact that the planet is extremely insignificant to the Galactic Empire, it's main importance really stems from it's use by the Hutts. Up until Leia attempted to recruit Obi-Wan for her mission, Vader had little reason to ever return to the planet. He had no knowledge that Luke was even alive until the events of ANH and considering Palpatine was in the process of building the Empire up, Owen was probably seen as a non-issue, since there was little evidence to even link Vader to Anakin in the first place.
But that's two extremes. Brown robes or extravagant outfits? (Not to mention Anakins black leather outfits don't seem to modest). Luke's Outfits were all functional. This made them fun and adventurous. The outfits don't have to be brown robes or extravagant. But those brown robes were mind numbing.

Reaction score
But that's two extremes. Brown robes or extravagant outfits? (Not to mention Anakins black leather outfits don't seem to modest). Luke's Outfits were all functional. This made them fun and adventurous. The outfits don't have to be brown robes or extravagant. But those brown robes were mind numbing.
Going forward, the only beings I want to see wearing brown robes are Jawas. The Brown Robe Era has gone on for 15 long years, so in-story or out, it's just time for something visually different...whether a brand new look, or a timeless space cowboy look like this:

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Jedi robes came from McQuarrie's early concept art where he was playing with the Japanese Samurai look as suggested by Lucas.

I don't mind the brown robes, but for the ST I'd like to see them use Luke's look from ROTJ as a starting point (black cloak instead of brown robe).

But Rebels is pre-ANH, so I guess we're stuck with the brown robes. :)

Reaction score
^ What actually does bug me about the PT Jedi look is the hair, especially Anakin's rat tail and Obi-Wan's mullet in AOTC. :\

Reaction score
^ What actually does bug me about the PT Jedi look is the hair, especially Anakin's rat tail and Obi-Wan's mullet in AOTC. :\
Don't samurai have ponytails? I'm sure that's where that came from.

And I'm not complaining about Jedi wearing robes per se, I'm more complaining that all they did was copy Ben's outfit from Star Wars and reverse engineer it, when really he was wearing desert gear.

Reaction score
Ben wasn't wearing Jedi Robes on Tatooine, he was wearing moisture farmer gear. Either that or Uncle Owen and half the inhabitants of Mos Eisley were also Jedi.
No, they're not jedi, they're all rebel/imperial spies or bounty hunters. Don't you read all those amazing, creative, and wholly original EU novels? You should! They're better than the actual films! :sneaky:

Reaction score
They also weren't amazing, creative or wholly original, so I think we can just accept his joke.

Reaction score
Which? I remember the Greedo one being particularly insultingly stupid, and getting the clearly implied idea behind the scene completely wrong.

Reaction score
Which? I remember the Greedo one being particularly insultingly stupid, and getting the clearly implied idea behind the scene completely wrong.
I enjoyed the stormtrooper one, for example. The moisture farmer one. The Jawa one was pretty fun but I had to facepalm a little at the ending. I hated the Feltipern Trevagg one, the Greedo one was boring, I didn't even bother to remember the Labria one...Muftak and Kabe's was kind of cutesy in a silly way. The rest were okay at best but hey, at least a few of them made me smile. The Bounty Hunter ones were all good, IMO, but the Jabba's Palace ones were all pretty bad except fort the Gamorrean Guard one because it made me laugh.

Reaction score
I enjoyed the stormtrooper one, for example. The moisture farmer one. The Jawa one was pretty fun but I had to facepalm a little at the ending. I hated the Feltipern Trevagg one, the Greedo one was boring, I didn't even bother to remember the Labria one...Muftak and Kabe's was kind of cutesy in a silly way. The rest were okay at best but hey, at least a few of them made me smile. The Bounty Hunter ones were all good, IMO, but the Jabba's Palace ones were all pretty bad except fort the Gamorrean Guard one because it made me laugh.
I remember reading these over 15 years ago when I was in my early 20s. They were fun stories and this was before The Phantom Menace came out. Out of the old 90's novels, I think the only one I didn't really like was the one with Waru.

Reaction score
Kanan Revealed

"Hey everybody, he's a Jedi---but he's SARCASTIC!! He's a gunslinger, too, like Han Solo!! And did you see his goatee??? It's EXXXTREME!" :rolleyes:
Maybe he won't be such a lame character, but my first impression is that he's just a mash-up of a couple of very popular SW tropes.

Reaction score
I'm realizing I strongly disagree with the way Filoni thinks creatively speaking. Everything he does is very formula driven, and cliche. Seems like a fan of Star Wars and a nice enough guy, and I'm sure he's not the only person behind rebels, but I mean , in general, his take on Star Wars isn't for me.

Reaction score
Even chopper. Ok...so R2 was this unusual robot because he was kind of sassy, but loyal, and he's short, but brave. This was original so he was likable. So...now chopper take. He's that formula just taken further. He's MORE sarcastic with more "tude", and he's EVEN SHORTER, because that's EVEN cuter and you're gonna love it!! Oh and he needs a regular wheel because that makes him quirky.

Mean while, why copy the R2 formula at all? Why copy the crew of the falcon formula at all? Why not start from the ground up. A group of 3 or four pilots of z95 head hunters making strikes on imperial targets out if anger. Eventually they morph into a group of "rebels", that bit off more than they could chew, and are now on the run and being hunted. They don't need to mirror the crew of the falcon, now known as the ghost.

Reaction score
Protagonist revealed...meet Kanan Jarrus, ex-Jedi Knight who's given up his role as a Knight to live in the underworld.

Note the blaster at his side...he'll probably only take up his lightsaber again out of necessity, perhaps to train Ezra...but he definitely isn't a Jedi anymore, he's just another guy living on the Rim who happens to have once been a Jedi.