Star Wars Novelization: History and Help

Jovial_Jay

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Star Wars novel. everyone has a copy, right? The classic gold cover with the blue logo and the yellow starburst. What? That's not what yours looks like?

That's OK. I thought the same thing for a while. And then by accident I discovered that there were a lot of variations to this cover. A Lot. Like 14! At least!!

What I'm looking for is for all the good forum members here at Rebelscum.com to check their copies of the book. Look and see what the cover looks like, and help me track down 1 scan of every printing, or at least one scan of every different printing.

I've got a starter list below, and if you have one of the printings NOT listed, you can chime in with what the cover looks like. Besides the printing on any missing edition (let's say the 31st printing) I'd also like to know the ISBN number, publication date, and price. And if anyone is willing to scan or (heaven forbid) sell a variant I'd be happy to accept those as well.

Thanks all!!

Star Wars (A New Hope) Novelization by George Lucas (nee Alan Dean Foster)
1st McQuarrie
2nd Blue, Yellow Sash "Now A Spectacular..." $1.95
2nd Blue, Yellow Sash "Featuring 16 pages..." $1.95
6th-16th Blue, Yellow Sash "The year's Best movie..." $1.95
19th Blue, Yellow Circle "Over 5 million..." $1.95
20th Blue, Yellow Sash "The Year's Best Movie" no price on cover
22nd Blue, Red circle "Over 5 Million.." $2.50
25th Green, Red circle-white text "Over 5 Million..." $2.95
26th-27th Green, Yellow circle "Over 5 Million..." $2.75
39th Green, Red circle-black text "Over 5 Million..." $4.95
42nd Red emboss, Red circle "Over 5 million..." $4.99
*45th Red, Red circle "Over 5 Million..." $5.99
47th Tom Jung Poster Art "Classic" $5.99
52nd-53rd SE Ingot cover
60th Drew Struzan SE Poster cover
64th DVD cover art

Reaction score
There was a hardcover edition released by the Science Fiction Book Club in June/July 1977, which predated the eventual release of a hardcover edition by Ballantine Books/DelRey in October 1977. Publisher: Ballantine Books, New York. Date Published: 1977. ISBN-13: 9780345274762. ISBN: 0345274768. Both featured the John Berkey cover painting and the color photos from the film.

Jovial_Jay

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Dan, Yeah. The hardcovers are another, but smaller, bucket of worms.

SFBC edition (grey book cover)
Del Rey Gold Version (black book cover)
1995 "Last Time on Video" cover
plus three bindups of the Star Wars Trilogy

You can check them all out in the Jedi Journals.

Reaction score
Okay, here are a few specific questions, all regarding hardcover first editions:

(1) For Star Wars, it seems the Gold covered Ballantine release is much harder to find than the Science Fiction Book Club edition. Do most people find this to be the case?
(2) I have heard and read (and the jedijournals back this up) that the ESB and ROTJ hardcovers were only released through the Science Fiction Book Club. If you look at the releases under the general "Hardcover" all the artwork is more 1990's. Just want to see if someone can definitively confirm that the only ESB and ROTJ hardcover releases were book club editions.

Thanks,
Bryan

P.S. - I'm looking to buy a gold covered SW 1st Edition if anyone has one for sale.

Reaction score
I had or have a yellow hard cover no dust jacket version that may be a library version. I'll have to look around and see if I do still have it for pics.

Reaction score
BryanSimmons said:
(1) For Star Wars, it seems the Gold covered Ballantine release is much harder to find than the Science Fiction Book Club edition. Do most people find this to be the case?
Hmm... I got the gold covered "Now a Spectacular..." edition for $1 from a local used bookstore over the summer. They had a couple of versions, so I picked the cheapest. You could have some luck with used bookstores; they often carry older editions of stuff, at reduced prices.

Reaction score
KillerVole said:
BryanSimmons said:
Hmm... I got the gold covered "Now a Spectacular..." edition for $1 from a local used bookstore over the summer. They had a couple of versions, so I picked the cheapest. You could have some luck with used bookstores; they often carry older editions of stuff, at reduced prices.
Are you talking about a paperback or a hardback? There are multiple paperbacks with the yellow banner but no hardbacks had the yellow banner as far as I know. If it is a hardback can you please post a picture?

Reaction score
To my knowledge, the only period hardcovers for ESB and ROTJ ('80 and '83) were from the book club. Never, never seen any others, not even library editions.

Reaction score
swposterguy said:
To my knowledge, the only period hardcovers for ESB and ROTJ ('80 and '83) were from the book club. Never, never seen any others, not even library editions.
Thanks Pete. That's what I assumed.

The next question would be why? I mean these were only the hottest movies of the early to mid 1980's - why only the book club editions on hardbacks? I'm sure it was economic but it's hard to believe there weren't even library editions.

Reaction score
This might be because, around that time, libraries started adding paperback books to their collections. Before the early '80s, it was almost unheard of for libraries to carry paperbacks, as the wear and tear made them impractical. But, clear vinyl slipcovers for paperbacks were introduced around 1978 or '79, I believe. I remember my mother using them for her enormous collection of Agatha Christie mysteries.

Today, libraries that have paperback sections don't usually bother trying to save paperbacks from harsh use. They just sell them off in "used book" sales to raise money.

Reaction score
BryanSimmons said:
Are you talking about a paperback or a hardback? There are multiple paperbacks with the yellow banner but no hardbacks had the yellow banner as far as I know. If it is a hardback can you please post a picture?
Paperback, sorry. I was explaining which version I found in my area, in response to a question about rarity. I totally forgot to specify cover type.

Reaction score
I don't know if Jay is still checking this thread (heck, I missed it up in the sticky section) but I have a first edition paperback of the first printing of the novel. Jay, if you want a scan of the copyright page with the 'First Edition' designation drop me a PM and I can email you one.

Reaction score
Obi_Phantom_Jedi said:
Here in the UK our cover for the original 77 paperback was white with the same design as the gold one pictured above. I(One with red Star Wars title)
Link for one for sale on ebay now, '83 print.

Jovial_Jay

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm still checking this as long as people are posting stuff

Thanks for the offers on the first printing, but I have it. And as far as the UK edition, I'm concentrating (for good or worse) on the US versions. Thanks to everyone who has helped out so far.

Reaction score
I just picked up a beautiful copy of the gold hardcover edition of Star Wars. Just awesome quality -- near perfect!

Great thread!

Jovial_Jay

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A very beautiful edition indeed. I'm assuming a first printing...

Reaction score
Jovial_Jay said:
A very beautiful edition indeed. I'm assuming a first printing...
Yes it is. I didnt even know there were multiple printings of the gold hardcover. I thought that was why it was relatively limited...

Reaction score
i will have pictures soon if you need it i found (and bought) at a garage sale for $4 it is just a black cover with Star Wars on the front cover on the spine it says Star Wars George Lucas Del-Rey

Jovial_Jay

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
leesweinberg said:
I believe that is the gold hardcover book (only without the dustjacket, obviously).
That's correct. You can confirm this by checking the indicia (the text inside that lists the publisher, and date, etc) and see that this was published by Del Rey in Oct 1977.

Jovial_Jay

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So I found yet ANOTHER variation, and I'll post the image to the main post (and Jedi Journals) once I get it scanned; but the 39th printing has the Green Logo, a Red Circle, but with Black (instead of white) text.

I'd still be interested to find one example of each printing....I know, it's a little nutz!

**UPDATED** Added the new scan to the first post, it's the 10th image from the left. 39th Printing. How many more variations are there!?!?!?

Reaction score
Regarding the Empire and Jedi hardcovers referenced above -- I recently discovered a non-Book Club edition of Splinter of the Mind's Eye in hardcover, which I did not know existed. Previously, I thought this and the first Han Solo novels were only available in hardcover from the book club. Also found the first Solo novel in a non-BC hardcover edition. So you never know about the Empire and Jedi novels...

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
swposterguy said:
Regarding the Empire and Jedi hardcovers referenced above -- I recently discovered a non-Book Club edition of Splinter of the Mind's Eye in hardcover, which I did not know existed. Previously, I thought this and the first Han Solo novels were only available in hardcover from the book club. Also found the first Solo novel in a non-BC hardcover edition. So you never know about the Empire and Jedi novels...
Where did you find one? These are hard to find and are almost always well over $100.00 if the condition is decent.

Reaction score
Chris -- I'd actually located these in Lucasfilm's licensing archives, and was surprised to find them since I wasn't aware they existed. Do you know if the second and third Solo novels were available in non-BC hardcover? I didn't find these two...

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
swposterguy said:
Chris -- I'd actually located these in Lucasfilm's licensing archives, and was surprised to find them since I wasn't aware they existed. Do you know if the second and third Solo novels were available in non-BC hardcover? I didn't find these two...
Here's the second one. I haven't found the third yet to confirm.

Reaction score
My mistake -- the Solo book you have pictured is the one I was referring to. So we don't know if the first and third have non-BC hardcover editions, although I'm gonna bet that the first, at least, was done.

Reaction score
kitfistofan said:
i will have pictures soon if you need it i found (and bought) at a garage sale for $4 it is just a black cover with Star Wars on the front cover on the spine it says Star Wars George Lucas Del-Rey
wow, now i realized how stupid i sounded lol

Reaction score
Jay, I have a 35th printing I've had since the 80s. Nothing unusual; it looks like the 39th in your first post. If you'd like a scan, what do you want? Bitmap? File size? Where to send?

Jovial_Jay

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Tarfful said:
Jay, I have a 35th printing I've had since the 80s. Nothing unusual; it looks like the 39th in your first post. If you'd like a scan, what do you want? Bitmap? File size? Where to send?
If it's the same as the 39th, I'll make a note in the archives that 35th-39th are most likely the same.

Does it have a special indicia? Actually, what's the pub year in the indicia (the fine print at the beginning of the book)? Oh, and the price and the ISBN # would be sweet. You can PM me, post here or email to Jay at Rebelscum.com.

Thanks Tarfful!

Reaction score
Haha, "nee Alan Dean Foster."

Didn't know George was a) a woman and b) born under a different name. ;P

Very nice reference thread, however.

Reaction score
Barnes & Noble has an new exclusive Trilogy hardcover that looks really nice. Links below, but I saw it in person at the store; it has gold and silver foil (or whatever) on a leather cover. Threepio, on the back cover, looks particularly nice. I looked at the first pages and the prologue begins with "Another galaxy, another time.", so it's the original Foster work and not the retconned version by Windham. I might pick it up. It's very nice to look at.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-star-wars-trilogy-lucas-george/1112352844?ean=9780307292216

Reaction score
Barnes & Noble has an new exclusive Trilogy hardcover that looks really nice. Links below, but I saw it in person at the store; it has gold and silver foil (or whatever) on a leather cover. Threepio, on the back cover, looks particularly nice. I looked at the first pages and the prologue begins with "Another galaxy, another time.", so it's the original Foster work and not the retconned version by Windham. I might pick it up. It's very nice to look at.

BARNES & NOBLE | The Star Wars Trilogy (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics) by George Lucas | Hardcover
As a literature fan, I'm a sucker for Barnes and Nobels HB Classics collections, I need to add this to my bookshelf sometime.

Reaction score
As a literature fan, I'm a sucker for Barnes and Nobels HB Classics collections, I need to add this to my bookshelf sometime.
I picked it up in December for only $10. B&N sent out a coupon that offered the book for that price. I'd love to give it to you, but it expired in Dec.

Reaction score
I think around the time ROTJ hit, or slightly after, there was a gift set containing all three film novelizations. They were not in an omnibus, but original individual books (probably excess surplus the publisher was trying to get rid of) and came in a box that was either red or blue. Anyone know anything more about it?

Last edited: