Star Wars Land coming to Disneyland and Disneyworld!

Reaction score
Wow, never heard of this. Do they even ban kids from dressing up? Is that a thing at their other parks as well?

Reaction score
I think its 13 and under can dress up. Even if you buy a jedi garb in the park you can't wear it.

Reaction score
Adults can't wear helmet/masks or be in full cosplay. Disney Bounding is very popular.

Reaction score
I think its 13 and under can dress up. Even if you buy a jedi garb in the park you can't wear it.
Not to nitpick, but I believe the age limit is 14.

And, another nitpick here, you can actually wear Jedi tunics, but not robes. Robes are totally forbidden.

Adults can't wear helmet/masks or be in full cosplay. Disney Bounding is very popular.
Exactly. Disney Bounding with Star Wars means you can wear outfits that are evocative of SW or have an SW component, as long as it's clear you're not in 100% costume and are recognizably a guest.

For instance, you could wear a Jedi tunic, but pair with jeans and sneakers. Or a Han Solo type vest and shirt, but also with regular bottoms. They sell Rey vests and wraps that you can wear provided it's not the full outfit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When i was just there at galaxys edge at wdw they told me no. So maybe a misinformed employee or disneyland may have different rules?

Reaction score
Adults can dress like a Jedi, just not wear their cloak/robe with the hood. It's mostly costumes that cover the face and head that they are concerned with, and of course armor/blasters. Basically if its cloth and can almost pass as something people wear in the real world it's usually ok.

The Disney play app not only sends you on scavenger hunts or "jobs" for characters in SW, you can also hack into different things throughout the park like droids, antenna relays, power stations, and even the Falcon. Hacking into them has a effect like steam blowing out of the Falcon, droids beeping and turning their heads. It's most fun to do when people who are taking pics, or staring at the display and don't know about the effect and you trigger it. The smiles, ooh and ahhs is most gratifying.

Reaction score
:grin: Seriously though, it's not my bag but cosplaying is a big hobby these days. Surely they are alienating a proportion of customers with this draconian rule. Never mind sueing them (won't happen) but they could sell them more tat!

Reaction score
Unless you fear copyright infringement lawyers.
How so, if you're not profiting? I'm simply wearing clothing, not selling them. I'm also not charging people to look at me in my outfit, nor selling signed photos. etc.

On another note, what are people thinking of the Galactic Starcruiser experience, where you'll be able to spend 3 days 2 night aboard the Halcyon? Seems it's being billed as a Cruise like experience with several things to do. But are they really going to build a Space ship that big that has functional interior? Although i get it won't be going into space.

Reaction score
So it's a t3rror1sm / you-must-live-in-fear thing then? Interesting.

Not at all. It's a they don't want guests to mistake other guests as costumed employees thing.

The rule hasn't alienated anyone. Cosplayers have started Disney bounding instead which is accepted and encouraged.

Disney isn't the big bad "Draconian" evil you seem to want to portray them as. Instead of just jumping to assumptions and trying to paint a narrative, why not do a little research instead.

Last edited:
Reaction score
On another note, what are people thinking of the Galactic Starcruiser experience, where you'll be able to spend 3 days 2 night aboard the Halcyon? Seems it's being billed as a Cruise like experience with several things to do. But are they really going to build a Space ship that big that has functional interior? Although i get it won't be going into space.
Yes the interiors will be fully functional and include engineering (kids like area), bridge (where you can participate in fighting off pirates and fist order), a brig (yes you can be put in it as part of a event), a garden area (where you can develop "force" powers), and a training area (where you can train like Luke did with a light saber and a floating training sphere), and thats all I can think of without looking up the other areas. There will be various events such as the First Order attacking and boarding the cruiser looking for the Resistance that guests can participate in. Guests will also be able to do missions for either side and there are several areas of the ship with multiple in world things to do. It's going to be even more immersive then Batuu.

Reaction score
Yes the interiors will be fully functional and include engineering (kids like area), bridge (where you can participate in fighting off pirates and fist order), a brig (yes you can be put in it as part of a event), a garden area (where you can develop "force" powers), and a training area (where you can train like Luke did with a light saber and a floating training sphere), and thats all I can think of without looking up the other areas. There will be various events such as the First Order attacking and boarding the cruiser looking for the Resistance that guests can participate in. Guests will also be able to do missions for either side and there are several areas of the ship with multiple in world things to do. It's going to be even more immersive then Batuu.
This 'Cruise' on land but in a spaceship idea is quite interesting. I understand you'll be able to take a transport to Batuu and the transport will even seem like it is flying through space until you get to the Batuu port so you don't see anything but Star Wars for the entirety of your 'Cruise'. I assume you could choose to go to the rest of Hollywood Studios or I imagine you could go to the other parks if you like, but for the price on this... anyone leaving that ship to go anywhere but Batuu is insane.

Reaction score
When i was just there at galaxys edge at wdw they told me no. So maybe a misinformed employee or disneyland may have different rules?
It just makes sense that they want to discourage full costumes for adults. Adults are idiots. I got back last night from Galaxy's Edge and I had my 8 year old Rey, 6 year old Leia, 3 year old BB-8, and 7 mo old R2 all over Galaxy's Edge for the first time and they were just in awe of all the stuff to see. I wore my Chewbacca MudHens jersey and my wife wore a white shirt with a black vest ala Han. The older 2 both got to drive the Falcon, we tried Blue and Green Milk, we didn't even build a droid or lightsaber, but they were just excited to see stuff like the baby Sarlacc, the Loth Cat, the X-Wing, Rey, Chewbacca, they interacted with Vi Moradi and the Stormtroopers and watched Kylo storm around.

Let the naysayers keep braying into the wind. Galaxy's Edge still needs more entertainment, but it's great.

Reaction score
This 'Cruise' on land but in a spaceship idea is quite interesting. I understand you'll be able to take a transport to Batuu and the transport will even seem like it is flying through space until you get to the Batuu port so you don't see anything but Star Wars for the entirety of your 'Cruise'. I assume you could choose to go to the rest of Hollywood Studios or I imagine you could go to the other parks if you like, but for the price on this... anyone leaving that ship to go anywhere but Batuu is insane.
Yeah for the money they are rumored to be asking, going to any other park is insane. You are paying to be "in" Star Wars, no reason to break the immersion. I wouldn't be surprised if the visit to Batuu was during some sort of extra magic hours time frame where the only people there are the guests from the Star Wars cruiser. Not only giving them free reign over the land, but also giving a further immersive experience not disturbed by all the regular park guests. If that's the case the rumored super high price tag makes more sense.

Reaction score
Told you "no" to what? No costumes? That's not exactly true, as we've been discussing. But, you can't have a "full" costume, so it's kind of true, but you clearly got bad information if you were just given a blanket response.

Not at all. It's a they don't want guests to mistake other guests as costumed employees thing.

The rule hasn't alienated anyone. Cosplayers have started Disney bounding instead which is accepted and encouraged.

Disney isn't the big bad "Draconian" evil you seem to want to portray them as. Instead of just jumping to assumptions and trying to paint a narrative, why not do a little research instead.
It's not draconian. And it's also nothing remotely new. You can't dress up in a full Ariel costume, either, and never could.

They need to ensure that guests are not impersonating employees or can't be mistaken for employees. It's that simple. For a host of safety/security reasons.

But, yeah, you can be imaginative and "bound" in SW style, as long as you make sure there's some "real world" elements so people don't think you work there.

Reaction score
Yeah for the money they are rumored to be asking, going to any other park is insane. You are paying to be "in" Star Wars, no reason to break the immersion. I wouldn't be surprised if the visit to Batuu was during some sort of extra magic hours time frame where the only people there are the guests from the Star Wars cruiser. Not only giving them free reign over the land, but also giving a further immersive experience not disturbed by all the regular park guests. If that's the case the rumored super high price tag makes more sense.
The extra magic idea would be great, but that would mean your Batuu excursion would have to be super late in the morning or super late at night.

Yeah, someone on a different forum was asking, "Wait, I don't get to wander the park when I'm saying here?"

Um, that's not the point. The point is being in the hotel. That IS the experience. (Plus Batuu.) You're paying all that money for the SW experience, not to wait in the hot sun to ride the Tea Cups.

Oh, and the SW hotel will provide you with costumes, I believe. I wonder if you can bring your own if you prefer. Details to come, I'm sure...

Reaction score

1. Makes sense - but forgive for my overseas perception of how it is with TSA and certain events in the news about which we are informed.

2. No idea what this is.

3. I am aware of your stance as a corporation supporter. Apologist? Don't know enough to say and don't care. Asking questions from people who may know on this well-informed forum IS research. Why not be friendly instead?

Reaction score
1. Makes sense - but forgive for my overseas perception of how it is with TSA and certain events in the news about which we are informed.

2. No idea what this is.

3. I am aware of your stance as a corporation supporter. Apologist? Don't know enough to say and don't care. Asking questions from people who may know on this well-informed forum IS research. Why not be friendly instead?
You are not asking questions. Your making judgments and statements and throwing a question mark at the end to disguise your passive/aggressive attack. If you were sincere in your question you would of asked it like "So i wonder for what reason are they banning masks and hoods?" You also wouldn't have added the "interesting" jab at the end.

And now because I like something you don't you throw "corporation supporter" at me like it's suppose to mean something. I like what I like and I make no apologies for it. However, by your own admission you are speaking from ignorance, you've never been, have no intention of going, and have no interest in educating yourself on anything beyond soliciting the forums for input. All you are doing is making yourself seem bitter and trying to stir up some sort of "lets hate on Disney/Star Wars" thing. There are literally hundreds of other places you can take that and run with it on the internet and social media. Please go peddle it somewhere else.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are not asking questions. Your making judgments and statements and throwing a question mark at the end to disguise your passive/aggressive attack.
I see three questions from me above and this paranoid crap from you.

Yeah I've been to both US Disney parks as it happens and am going again to one either next year or 2021, so..... research. Can the kids dress up, etc. Like I asked.

It was you that brought the blasters and armour up in the first place as being a problem with dress-up. That infers it has nothing to do with confusing patrons and employees like you later tried to justify the policy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are not asking questions. Your making judgments and statements and throwing a question mark at the end to disguise your passive/aggressive attack. If you were sincere in your question you would of asked it like "So i wonder for what reason are they banning masks and hoods?" You also wouldn't have added the "interesting" jab at the end.

And now because I like something you don't you throw "corporation supporter" at me like it's suppose to mean something. I like what I like and I make no apologies for it. However, by your own admission you are speaking from ignorance, you've never been, have no intention of going, and have no interest in educating yourself on anything beyond soliciting the forums for input. All you are doing is making yourself seem bitter and trying to stir up some sort of "lets hate on Disney/Star Wars" thing. There are literally hundreds of other places you can take that and run with it on the internet and social media. Please go peddle it somewhere else.
Amen.

Can you copy this to every forum here? Star Wars fans are some of the most passionate and amazing, but some are also just downright miserable people.

Reaction score
I see three questions from me above and this paranoid crap from you.

Yeah I've been to both US Disney parks as it happens and am going again to one either next year or 2021, so..... research. Can the kids dress up, etc. Like I asked.

It was you that brought the blasters and armour up in the first place as being a problem with dress-up. That infers it has nothing to do with confusing patrons and employees like you later tried to justify the policy.
Paranoid? I'm not the one who is saying Disney is using Draconian measures, and making policies based on fear. That's all you.

Armor and blasters are costume parts that the paid employees use as part of their COSTUMES. Nowhere did I say armor and blasters = fear or Terrorism. I mentioned them because I knew if I didn't someone would ask about dressing as a storm trooper without a helmet, or in a xwing pilot outfit, or any of the other armor/complex costumes. If you are using the forums as research you are going to be pretty misinformed when you get there, go to the Disney website, or Google it.

Going to Disney next year? but you said a few pages back.
I and my friend are going off multiple reviews from around the web, not this site. As I said, there seems to be bias in both directions and yes I've made my mind up (for now) as stated. We literally decided just this weekend not to make the journey in 2020 - but the just-posted JTA review seems to be the best one so far in terms of considered judgement.
Again I was just posting based off your own words. If your plans changed, cool, but that wasn't the tune you were singing a while back and haven't shown a change in plans, so my point of you having no desire to go was valid. I think you even talked about preferring to go to Africa to see the Lars homestead again instead of Disney. Soooo, really changing plans or just trying to discredit my point?

Reaction score
Not to pile on here but all you have to do is refer back to his posts earlier in this thread for reference to not take anything he says seriously and its funny that he keeps throwing around the term "bias" while not acknowledging how obvious his is.
Discussion and valid criticism is welcome but either he's trolling or thinks he's more informed than he is lobbing out anything possible - terrorism!, paranoia!, draconian!, corporations! - to make it look like Disney is eeevvviiillll maaaannnn!

Reaction score
I think you even talked about preferring to go to Africa to see the Lars homestead again instead of Disney. Soooo, really changing plans or just trying to discredit my point?
Done Tunisia years ago. Changed from friend to partner and kids accompanying potentially as of last weekend. None of your business any of that but why the need to go digging back on here??

When I Google I get seriously anti- reviews all over versus Disney adverts. I look for genuine information from neutrals and trust most people on here to be impartial. I won't bother you requests to be a Droid Factory trading partner, don't worry!

Reaction score
Discussion and valid criticism is welcome but either he's trolling or thinks he's more informed than he is lobbing out anything possible - terrorism!, paranoia!, draconian!, corporations! - to make it look like Disney is eeevvviiillll maaaannnn!
I welcome valid criticism I have some about the park myself, but I agree with you that he's probably just trolling at this point. Haters gotta hate.

Reaction score
Done Tunisia years ago. Changed from friend to partner and kids accompanying potentially as of last weekend. None of your business any of that but why the need to go digging back on here??

When I Google I get seriously anti- reviews all over versus Disney adverts. I look for genuine information from neutrals and trust most people on here to be impartial. I won't bother you requests to be a Droid Factory trading partner, don't worry!

No digging. It's called a memory, all I did is go back and quote what I remembered you saying. Why I quoted it is obvious, to counter your point. So if you are going to Disney does that make you a "corporate supporter" too? Never mind, rhetorical question. I'm done discussing this with you.

Reaction score
either way I enjoyed Myself, I am an OT OG but know what it was going to be and liked it. everyone needs to calm down it's a theme park, not a piece of actual history.... They still have Star Tours...lol

Reaction score
They close the park or certain areas of the park for special events. Ive seen them close as early as 7pm.
Yes, but seeing as the SW hotel is going to be a constantly in-use thing, they're not going to close GE "early" every single to day to give the comparatively very small number of hotel guests free run while shutting out thousands and thousands of other park guests.

Reaction score
All I would say to your anti-reviews vs. Disney adverts is that people need to learn to think for themselves. You get more clicks with negativity for some reason. I don't know if it's unhappy people that can't stand to see anyone else happy or if it's just that somehow if you like something you are no longer 'cool'. When did it become wrong to be able to just enjoy something for what it is?

You want Neutral... here's neutral: Galaxy's Edge is whatever YOU want it to be. If you want to waste your time being sad and empty and whiny about expense and boredom and lack of this or that then great! You won't be in my way while I enjoy just being there. I'm not a Disney shill. I've been there twice now and didn't feel the need to spend hundreds of extra dollars on 'stuff' so for me it was time spent and not money. I'd rather spend my time in Star Wars than just about anywhere else, doubly so when my family can be involved.

I've read and watched many of the negative videos and stories about Galaxy's Edge and it's hilarious to see people with so much vitriol for something. I feel like YouTube has taken over for reality TV... you can watch total morons hurt themselves on purpose, watch other people playing with toys, watch celebrities eating hot peppers!, watch adults detail their misery over something as trivial as Star Wars.... it's like the gift that keeps on giving.

Reaction score
Yes, but seeing as the SW hotel is going to be a constantly in-use thing, they're not going to close GE "early" every single to day to give the comparatively very small number of hotel guests free run while shutting out thousands and thousands of other park guests.
All this is pure speculation. If its run like a cruise ship then it wouldn't be constantly in use thing with new guests checking in everyday. It would take on the passengers on the first day, be on Batuu for a night trip on the second day, and return home on the third with guests checking out. Assuming they need one day turn around to re setup the props and stuff used in the experiences, and time to setup fro the next group of guests. That's one day out of 4 they would need to close the Star Wars area early. Averaging to once a week, occasionally twice a week.

This is assuming Disney does the most optimal thing considering money spent for the experience. They don't always got the most optimal route though. A person can hope though.

Reaction score
All this is pure speculation. If its run like a cruise ship then it wouldn't be constantly in use thing with new guests checking in everyday. It would take on the passengers on the first day, be on Batuu for a night trip on the second day, and return home on the third with guests checking out. Assuming they need one day turn around to re setup the props and stuff used in the experiences, and time to setup fro the next group of guests. That's one day out of 4 they would need to close the Star Wars area early. Averaging to once a week, occasionally twice a week.

This is assuming Disney does the most optimal thing considering money spent for the experience. They don't always got the most optimal route though. A person can hope though.
Yes, I agree it's possible that it has set "departures" instead of just rolling entrances on every single day. That might make logistics much easier.

But it would still mean closing the land once every few days regularly, which I don't think they would ever do. Just to give the hotel guests free reign of the land? HIGHLY doubtful, but we'll see!

Reaction score

What other questions haven't been answered?

I assume you're clear on the costuming and weapons rules now?

If you have others, ask away...

Reaction score
Funny about the "digging" comment, it was a few pages back and stands out to everyone because even back then it was just all negativity and the only one posting in here with that condescending tone and attitude. And yes while your personal life is none of our business it is pertinent to the conversation when in the past you were SOOOO adamant about not going, there being "better" places to spend your money vs. you going within the next couple years. I don't know why you would even bother going anyways, as pointed out already, your mind is already made up.
Also, as pointed out before, I read the one review (JTA) you cited earlier and it was far from negative. If all you are seeing/reading are negative reviews it seems like you are just looking at confirmation bias. Even then you came to this thread and people in here have given firsthand accounts, with actual criticisms, those are disregarded to solidify your own bias.
Beyond that keknivek brings up a good point about just going to experience something firsthand and making up your own mind. Radical concept I know.

Reaction score
What other questions haven't been answered?

I assume you're clear on the costuming and weapons rules now?
Thanks yes. Wasn't considering going with kids before and had never heard the costuming rules which seemed extremely silly and still do. Although it would be overly hot in full garb I'd wager.

It sounded to me like they were there for excessive and (to a European) ridiculous security concerns from the first answer, which has been calmly and rationally explained.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks yes. Wasn't considering going with kids before and had never heard the costuming rules which seemed extremely silly and still do. Although it would be overly hot in full garb I'd wager.

It sounded to me like they were there for excessive and (to a European) ridiculous security concerns from the first answer, which has been calmly and rationally explained.
Good.

If you have young kids, they can go full costume. If you're adult, you can go in basically half a costume.

Disney parks have banned ALL toy and replica guns. They used to sell blasters in the SW merch stores. They used to sell pistols and rifles in Frontierland and at Pirates. No more.

As a European, you have to keep in mind that there have been a grotesque and horrifying number of mass shootings in the US in recent years. Banning anything that even looks like a gun from a crowded place, touristy place is unquestionably a good idea.

(Galaxy's Edge's stormtroopers - and Vi Moradi - are armed, though, which is good.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
While I enjoy the Disney parks. I'm not about to delude myself into believing that Disney is anything other than what they are. People can be blind to their past and storied history if they want, doesn't mean we all are.

I must admit, I'm genuinely excited for such an experience! Heck I was totally hyped for the Star Trek experience (full scale Enterprise) that they "were" going to build in Las Vegas and never did.
And being the Sci-Fi nut that i am, I'm totally looking forward to any type of Space themed excursion. So this sounds to be like a very fun experience, whether or not I'll be able to afford it is another thing entirely. Especially considering it would coincide with the expense of a Disney Visit.

Though I wonder that since it's an overnight adventure, and you'll have sleeping quarters. Would they plan some FO attack in the middle of the night, forcing a person to immerse themselves into action unexpectedly? lol

Reaction score
I was told no when I was thinking of buying a jedi tunic and robe. Which as long as the hood is not up should be allowed in my opinion. There are 0 employees in black spire dressed as Jedi! The kids can wear cloaks, in fact kids can do a whole jedi training experience outside of star tours and fight Vader and Kylo.like I said i was ok with their answer, but selling the stuff right there, there's nowhete better to use it! I had a great time none the less. And if you can make rope drop, the presentation is very impressive. Especially at 6 am when it is all lit up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was told no when I was thinking of buying a jedi tunic and robe. Which as long as the hood is not up should be allowed in my opinion. There are 0 employees in black spire dressed as Jedi! The kids can wear cloaks, in fact kids can do a whole jedi training experience outside of star tours and fight Vader and Kylo.like I said i was ok with their answer, but selling the stuff right there, there's nowhete better to use it! I had a great time none the less. And if you can make rope drop, the presentation is very impressive. Especially at 6 am when it is all lit up.
There's some sort of unspecified safety issue with cloaks or something. It has nothing to do with being mistaken for characters in that specific instance.

You could be wearing a goofy hat, mickey shirt and cut-off jeans with flip-flops and a cloak would still be a no go. I agree, it's a shame, since it's the best (only?) place to really show off your SW costume. But there you go...