Star Wars Land coming to Disneyland and Disneyworld!

Reaction score
Excuse me for doing research and attempting to become informed before making a relatively large financial outlay. Crazy me, eh? Like I said, bias is all over. Have a nice day. I'll not insult you back.

And thank you to Keknivek for your sensible reply, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm heading to the D23 Expo this weekend so I can't wait to check out the open - but incomplete - Galaxy's Edge. Looking forward more to April of next year when I can go to the Disney World park and experience Rise of the Resistance.

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I had a blast at the land with my friend and we made many "friends" along the way - fellow cantina patrons, our "crew" buddies on the Falcon, etc.

Without fail, every single person was having a terrific time and we were happy to share the experience with them. Especially at the cantina, where all our fellow patrons and neighbors either at the bar or in the booth were just as giddy as we were.

At Docking Bay 7, we sat next to a couple and their young son, who was giddy over his new droid and let us play with it for a minute. Again, it was smiles all around and that child was clearly enjoying the heck out of his visit. (as were the kid pilots on the Falcon, who were pretty terribly at flying but were having fun regardless.)

Certainly, my friend and I thought there was room for improvement. We wanted MORE characters, more interactivity, more of the character shows (such as the teased, but as yet not in operation stunt show.)

Visting a Disney Parks forum, I learned to my dismay that many of these elements were planned, but cut by the controversial head of Disney Parks, who is apparently notoriously cheap. However, since so many of these elements were in the planning stages or past it, I can only hope that the park does up its game in the near future.

Right now, it's very good and has the potential to be great.

I hope everyone who has plans to go in the near future as as much fun as I did. I can't wait to go back when RotR is open.

Reaction score
Semantics about theme parks (yes, it has a theme) and sarcastic smilies are still not going to change my mind about a trip that would cost me £hundreds when there is real culture to be had for far less outlay. For a topic-related comparison, it cost me far less (and for me at least was more satisfying I'd imagine) to actually visit Tunisia and stand in the 'real' Lars household or Shmi's slave village.

This place should be full of dressed-up-as-Jedi kids running around and having fun, not joylessly-meandering adults. I was considering it for next year, I know about it not being fully open yet; I and my friends have decided it would not be worth it for us. Most of us have visited Disney before and aren't bothered about doing the rest of it again.

So for those who are snarky - I was trying to open up a conversation here. If the site was presently exclusively in Europe would you make the journey for it? Really? In light of all the internet feedback about it - biased in both directions - and the hiked-up charges for everything? That's my considered position anyway. I'm open to revision but the place will need to change first before it works for me I think - there's better things to look at and do in Paris.
I pretty much agree here. I'm not saying anything against the park, as I'm sure it will be fun when I finally get there. But like you I feel the Money would be better spent elsewhere, I also would like to hit Tunisia to see what's left of that set. As well as visit the Popeye Village in Malta.

I feel these types of trips have a little more to offer as a whole, compared to over priced Disney. Especially for someone who doesn't have little ones, I'd rather attempt this with a groups of friends or my Sister and her Family. Unfortunately our schedules don't lineup this year for that to happen. For some of us, this is a trip that costs in the thousands. Not driving across town, or even the State.

Traveling to other places does not have the $100+ daily admission fees that Disney has, which adds up quickly. I haven't been that far south in about twenty years, and haven't been to Disneyland in about thirty. So I definitely would like to revisit again someday soon. My thoughts were that if I gave it a couple years, the newness would wear off and possibly be less crowded. Plus it might give them time to improve some of the current issues.

Reaction score
I went to the Annual Passholder Preview on Saturday and it was FANTASTIC. Short wait times for the ride and food. Built a droid and did all my shopping in under 2 hours Had plenty of time to see everything and still had time left on my 4 hour preview window. I was there from 11am to 3pm. Since this was for Platinum and above Annual passholders this WAS NOT that crowded. Wait till the 29th !!!!! They ( security ) said it was limited to 2000 people per group. I would rate this on a scale of 1 to 10 as an 11 .
What, if any, kind of exclusives did they have for the weekend?

Reaction score
A buddy picked up the color change droid sets for me yesterday, so that's two items off the list!
I really wanted to buy these 2 droid sets and the droid factory but they are really expensive overall. I decided the color change aspect wasn't really worth buying a bunch of droids I already had, but I know I'll be keeping my eye on these. I saw a review of these on youtube and they seemed really fun.

Reaction score
It's not a theme park. It's part of a theme park. Also the theme park name doesn't really apply, it's more of a experience.

Considering they have one coming to Disney France that one might be easier for you to get to.
Some people never try to get it. It's like PlayStation Home. For many the Siren space, the Star Wars Cantina space, and even the ones offered in the Japanese server were fun immersive experiences. At least for me when my Asperger's was a bigger issue than it is today. But for others it is just another area they don't bother to know about. And because of that they don't see it the way it was meant to be.

Plus I have to agree with you. I personally wish they made both places be placed in two different period set between Episodes VI and VII. That way they can mix in OT and ST Stormtroopers while not making it squarely about either trilogy. Which is why I am going to wear a UNIQLO tee that has an OT Stormtrooper helmet on it. They are my perma-favorites regardless of what I am focusing on. And seeing how I will not be able to sell the last of my Star Wars collection, I am guessing that all I will get from that area is a Coca-Cola. :p

Reaction score
We are at Disneyland right now. Well today is a down day, but we are two days into our 4 day passes. Galaxy's Edge is amazing IMO. When yo walk around the corner and the Falcon is just sitting there in front of you...man, I just dont have the words! I could have stood there just looking at it for hours! The whole land is just so immersive and everywhere you look there are or so many little cool details. We've been twice now and keep finding new things. We've ridden Smugglers Run twice now and it is simply amazing! Hit the cantina last night...so much fun! They even played THE cantina song. I'll try to post some pics and share more thoughts when we get back, but we are totally digging it!

Reaction score
We are at Disneyland right now. Well today is a down day, but we are two days into our 4 day passes. Galaxy's Edge is amazing IMO. When yo walk around the corner and the Falcon is just sitting there in front of you...man, I just dont have the words! I could have stood there just looking at it for hours! The whole land is just so immersive and everywhere you look there are or so many little cool details. We've been twice now and keep finding new things. We've ridden Smugglers Run twice now and it is simply amazing! Hit the cantina last night...so much fun! They even played THE cantina song. I'll try to post some pics and share more thoughts when we get back, but we are totally digging it!
It was a Cantina highlight to hear Rex play the Modal Nodes original hit! Also liked when he went on the fritz and started reciting his old Star Tours schtick. Very subtle, as the Cantina can be noisy, as a bar is, but really cool when you catch those little details. It'd be amazing if there was a Cantina in Downtown Disney you didn't need admission for, like Trader Sam's Tiki themed bar at the Disneyland hotel.

Reaction score
when I was there a couple weeks ago R3X was down, going again this weekend, hopefully he's working

Reaction score
Awesome, Billy Ray! Glad to hear you're having a blast! Enjoy the rest of your trip and definitely share some pics.

(and be glad you're not in the Florida Galaxy's Edge, place is a mob scene!)

Reaction score
when I was there a couple weeks ago R3X was down, going again this weekend, hopefully he's working
It's funny, because Rex "breaking down" is a part of his regular routine, but he immediately is "fixed" by the staff.

Too bad he actually breaks down, too.

Reaction score
Glad the Force is with you...have an awesome time for all of us.

Reaction score
Our last day was yesterday. Heading home tomorrow, taking the scenic route and stopping off at the Grand Canyon. I've been once before and, as breath taking as it is, I still don't think it tops the feeling I had the first time I laid eyes on the Falcon! LOL.

Anyway, we visited Galaxy's Edge all four days, and rode Smuggler's Run each time (we all got a turn at each of the three positions). Highlight of the ride was pulling the hyperspace lever! It never got old! Well, maybe my wife got a little tired of it, but she also loves It's a Small World, so what does she know?

Finally got to see Rey and Chewie our last day. The girl who plays Rey (or at least the one who was playing her when we saw her) is perfect! She really nailed it. Chewie was awesome too!

We ate at Docking Bay 7 twice. It was pretty good.

Picked up some sabers from Dok Ondar's on our last day (Vader for me, Anakin/Luke/Rey for my son) and they held them at the main gate for us so we didn't have to carry them around all day, which was awesome!

Anyway, the whole experience was amazing as far as I'm concerned. My kids loved it, heck even my wife did.

I've got a ton of pics, but am limited to using my phone right now so here are just a few...and of course a few are sideways for whatever reason

Last edited:
Reaction score
Picked up some sabers from Dok Ondar's on our last day (Vader for me, Anakin/Luke/Rey for my son) and they held them at the main gate for us so we didn't have to carry them around all day, which was awesome!
It would be great if Stormtroopers "confiscated" them when they do this ;)

Reaction score
I just assumed (like Disney apparently) that they probably needed very little marketing to promote Galaxy's Edge. Though I think the headline that they are trying to "save Star Wars Land" is a but over dramatic. I'm sure business will pick up going into the holidays and over the next year.

Here's an article back in Feb. about their marketing plans
https://skift.com/2019/02/06/disney-doesnt-plan-to-spend-a-fortune-promoting-new-star-wars-attractions/

This article came out yesterday about "saving" Star Wars land.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/09/24/disney-gets-serious-about-saving-star-wars-land.aspx

Reaction score
I just assumed (like Disney apparently) that they probably needed very little marketing to promote Galaxy's Edge. Though I think the headline that they are trying to "save Star Wars Land" is a but over dramatic. I'm sure business will pick up going into the holidays and over the next year.

Here's an article back in Feb. about their marketing plans
https://skift.com/2019/02/06/disney-doesnt-plan-to-spend-a-fortune-promoting-new-star-wars-attractions/

This article came out yesterday about "saving" Star Wars land.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/09/24/disney-gets-serious-about-saving-star-wars-land.aspx
I've been going to the one in Florida weekly. Batuu is FAAAAR from a failure. Every time I've going this month aside from the week of the hurricane there have been crowds and lots of people walking around with merch, including big ticket merch like Savi lightsabers, and Build a droids.

It hasn't been super, uncomfortable overcrowded, but there is enough of a crowd that it feels busy. To me the crowd levels feel just right, I have room to move, and I can explore without having to be worried about running into people or have strollers/ECVs running into me.

Reaction score
I just came home from Disney last night. I would gather to say that this is far from a failure as well. Could it be better? Hell yeah it could. Introducing a few hey elements could elevate the experience even further. If they made the droids that populate many of the areas more interactive, it would go a long way. The empty airspace should be populated with ships in the sky. The cantina needs to be expanded and populated with creatures. When we went to Quark's in Star Trek the experience this made frequent trips to the bar a must. I remember getting into arguments with Klingons because we were drinking a "James T. Kirk" or the romulans joining us in a glass of Romulan Ale. Such a little thing would boost the cantina tenfold.
The coolest thing was the 6am rope drop during extra magic hours. First off, there were hundreds of people that got up at the crack of dawn to be there. The crowd was desperate to race to Black Spire outpost. Just before the drop, the first order theme was pumped through the speakers, and 4 stirmtroopers emerged, leading us in an orderly march directly to smugglers run. It sounds corny but it was amazing. As we marched through, troopers and officers manned the outposts, with an intimidating presence. Chewie and Rey were lurking about as well at that time. The crowd went ballistic.
The sales of merch were through the roof. Shops were always bustling. You could sometimes readily build a droid at the depot, but many other guests told us they could not get reservations until late at night if at all. Booking a lightsaber build was even worse. Luckily my wife booked both on the first day they released reservations back in July. Others were not as fortunate. Someone told me reservations for that were booked up until Christmas. Hardly a failure. If you do not have a reservation fear not, some people miss their window, and there is a standby. Hang around the shop long enough and they will get you in. Almost every person leaving the park had a Savi saber, and those who did not were buying up the legacy sabers.
At peak hours it got super crowded this past week. Reservations at the cantina were required most of the time.
I think once the new ride opens, the park will go gangbusters once again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just came home from Disney last night. I would gather to say that this is far from a failure as well. Could it be better? Hell yeah it could. Introducing a few hey elements could elevate the experience even further. If they made the droids that populate many of the areas more interactive, it would go a long way. The empty airspace should be populated with ships in the sky. The cantina needs to be expanded and populated with creatures. When we went to Quark's in Star Trek the experience this made frequent trips to the bar a must. I remember getting into arguments with Klingons because we were drinking a "James T. Kirk" or the romulans joining us in a glass of Romulan Ale. Such a little thing would boost the cantina tenfold.
The coolest thing was the 6am rope drop during extra magic hours. First off, there were hundreds of people that got up at the crack of dawn to be there. The crowd was desperate to race to Black Spire outpost. Just before the drop, the first order theme was pumped through the speakers, and 4 stirmtroopers emerged, leading us in an orderly march directly to smugglers run. It sounds corny but it was amazing. As we marched through, troopers and officers manned the outposts, with an intimidating presence. Chewie and Rey were lurking about as well at that time. The crowd went ballistic.
The sales of merch were through the roof. Shops were always bustling. You could sometimes readily build a droid at the depot, but many other guests told us they could not get reservations until late at night if at all. Booking a lightsaber build was even worse. Luckily my wife booked both on the first day they released reservations back in July. Others were not as fortunate. Someone told me reservations for that were booked up until Christmas. Hardly a failure. If you do not have a reservation fear not, some people miss their window, and there is a standby. Hang around the shop long enough and they will get you in. Almost every person leaving the park had a Savi saber, and those who did not were buying up the legacy sabers.
At peak hours it got super crowded this past week. Reservations at the cantina were required most of the time.
I think once the new ride opens, the park will go gangbusters once again.
The information that Attendance was down 3% is significant, but they are raking in money on the merchandise. Buying a Droid and a lightsaber costs more than the ticket to get in. I completely agree that attendance will go up once the other ride opens. If you can only go once, or once a year... you aren't going to plan a trip when the big rides are down for refurbishing. I'm sure there are a number of people that are waiting to get the 'full' experience. Opening without all the bells and whistles and even without both rides available thinking that crowds would just pour in anyway may have been a slight miscalculation.

Put some aliens and wandering droids in that park and it will change the entire area. People will want to get a pic with an alien at the bar or a roaming droid. The cast members are great, but they need some real flavor in the park. Some small entertainment going on in some of the areas would be great.

NO ONE wanted crushing crowds, including the staff and leadership of Disney... and now with less crowds... people still want to have a problem. If you can't have fun in Galaxy's Edge there is something wrong with YOU, not the land.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you can't have fun in Galaxy's Edge there is something wrong with YOU, not the land.
THIS!

Like I said I go weekly right now (sometimes twice a week). The app adds alot for return visits, talking with the cast members in character is fun, and hanging at the Cantina (for the 45 mins they let me) is a probably the peak of every visit. It's not like all the other theme parks out there. A lot of what makes Batuu fun is self initiated activity, you have to look, explore, and listen. This land isn't just a ride (or two) and merch. It has alot to offer if you go out and do it.

Can it be improved? Yes, everything can be improved. Will it be improved? Yes, look at everything Disney has done in their other parks over the years. The refurbish, up date, change themes all the time. Batuu has been open for a total of 4 months between the two parks. Give them a chance to figure out what the guests are wanting and time to develop it.

Reaction score
For kids...there is essentially nothing to do...one ride, that’s it. And spending a cargo hold of credits on SW merchandise. Beyond that...Rey, two or three troopers & Kyo Ren doesn’t make this a viable vacation for the family.

Reaction score
For kids...there is essentially nothing to do...one ride, that’s it. And spending a cargo hold of credits on SW merchandise. Beyond that...Rey, two or three troopers & Kyo Ren doesn’t make this a viable vacation for the family.
Not to sure about that. My daughter loved it. To quote her...." I feel like I'm in a Star Wars movie" She's 7 by the way. She found lots to do and wants to go back.

Reaction score
There is this thing called imagination. I was lucky to go early, but my kids are going next week. I have 4 girls 8,6,3, 7 mo. They'll be dressed like Star Wars characters and will undoubtedly be hiding from stormtroopers, getting fun pictures, and checking everything out. When they are done, we'll go to the other areas of the park. We don't spend much time in Avatar when we go now, but we sure looked at everything the first time we were there. My kids have learned to appreciate what they can see, but also what they can imagine.

Reaction score
As much as I love Galaxy's Edge I do think there is definite room for improvement but I think that can be fixed with fine tuning over the next year or two. Each US park is getting a new President so lets see what they do. I think once RotR opens and word of mouth spreads the crowds will pick up. I do think the "sky is falling" articles are way premature though. There are definitely some valid criticisms to be made, especially when you hear about some of the things that were planned and cut for budgetary reasons.
Whatever the case the past two times I went I took people for their first times and did new things each time and that was a lot of the fun for me. I will probably go once or twice more this year and will definitely be there when RotR opens in January.

Reaction score
Put some aliens and wandering droids in that park and it will change the entire area. People will want to get a pic with an alien at the bar or a roaming droid. The cast members are great, but they need some real flavor in the park. Some small entertainment going on in some of the areas would be great.
This is EXACTLY what the land needs. More texture, more flavor. Costumed alien characters on the streets and in the cantina. Some street entertainment in the form of musicians or jugglers or what have you.

I really like GE, but I do feel it is missing something.

I agree that there also need to be a few more kid-centric things to do. They need to add a "play area", like at ToonTown at Disneyland. Easy to keep it on brand and immersive - make it the "junkyard" - an area of "crashed" ships and other debris that kids can climb over, on and around.

Give us a little more to touch. Don't have all the ships behind fences. Let us at least walk up to, touch one of the ships and pose with pics. There is exactly ONE small thing where this can be done - a single speeder bike. Give us more things like that, please!

Reaction score
Glad she had an awesome time. My comment was based on friends & family I have in Florida. They were utterly disappointed and disenchanted.
Not to sure about that. My daughter loved it. To quote her...." I feel like I'm in a Star Wars movie" She's 7 by the way. She found lots to do and wants to go back.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I think it would be cool to have some kind of scavenger hunt where the graphitti sends them to a power box where they enter a code that sends them somewhere else... and so on. It could even be circular so one could start anywhere (although that would be less satisfying.)

Reaction score
I would agree with others that Galaxy's Edge is far from a failure. If this "failure" is being measured by attendance, then the whole park is a failure. This was my fourth visit to Disneyland over the past 20 odd years and this was the least crowded I have ever seen it. We were at Disneyland for four days (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday) and wait times for most rides, the entire time, were 10-15 minutes on average. Smuggler's Run was usually the one ride with the longest wait time and at that 45 minutes was the longest I think I ever saw it. I remember waiting a minimum of an hour for a lot of the more popular rides in the park on past visits, but never waited close to that on our last trip. Heck, we rode Pirates of the Caribbean back to back without getting out of the boat.

Galaxy's Edge was crowded, but not wall to wall people. To me, it felt just right. There were also tons of people throughout the entire park in Star Wars shirts or carrying Star Wars merchandise. The only thing I saw people carrying that rivaled the number of lightsabers was that little Groot that sits on your shoulder.

Oh, and BTW, my kids LOVED Galaxy's Edge...even my daughter, who is not the biggest Star Wars fan.

Reaction score
This. If they truly want an otherworldly experience, then Cast Members should dress up as Aliens. Not Humans that you find in every corner of our World. That IMO would complete the experience of truly being on another world, or in another Galaxy.

FYI, at 8:pM tonight on Free Form Channel 33 for me. There's a show about Galaxy's Edge.

Reaction score
I think it would be cool to have some kind of scavenger hunt where the graphitti sends them to a power box where they enter a code that sends them somewhere else... and so on. It could even be circular so one could start anywhere (although that would be less satisfying.)
You've basically described a very basic version of what you can do on the Disney Parks App. There are many features on the Galaxy's Edge "datapad" portion of the app that basically send you on scavenger hunts, allow you to scan cargo containers, "hack" equipment, go on mini-missions, acquire credits, establish allegiance, etc. etc.

Reaction score
This. If they truly want an otherworldly experience, then Cast Members should dress up as Aliens. Not Humans that you find in every corner of our World. That IMO would complete the experience of truly being on another world, or in another Galaxy.
You can't, though. Legally. If you put them in full costume, they're no longer clerks, they're union actors and command a much higher salary.

That's why the land only has a handful of characters. It's not because they can't afford the suits, they don't want to pay for the actors.

Which is, let's face it, pretty lame and stingy. GE definitely needs a few more proper costumed characters - especially aliens - to truly feel like SW. They are leaning on the CMs a little too hard to provide immersion, which isn't fair to them (though I certainly love the enthusiasm many bring to the job and enjoyed chatting with them "in character.")

I hope Disney get their act together and stops penny-pinching GE. One of the planned (but, so far, not implemented) features of GE was going to be a costumed alien bounty hunter who would interact with guests at Oga's and elsewhere.

Make it happen!

Reaction score
That’s bullcrap. Sorry, but in the heyday of Star Tours, I had pictures with Greedo, Gammoreans, Jawas, Ackbar, you name them. Clone troopers as well as stormtroopers, and even Ahsoka Tano.

Reaction score
If they let fans wear costumes in the park half the problem is solved free of charge...

Utinniii

Reaction score
You've basically described a very basic version of what you can do on the Disney Parks App. There are many features on the Galaxy's Edge "datapad" portion of the app that basically send you on scavenger hunts, allow you to scan cargo containers, "hack" equipment, go on mini-missions, acquire credits, establish allegiance, etc. etc.
Cool. I was thinking low tech, like the plan they had connecting Pirates to other buildings.

I understand why they don't allow adults to wear costumes. It is a liability issue. If a costumed guest caused a problem it could be blamed on an employee.

Masks reduce visibility which is a danger. Even now, characters are in designated areas more often than freely wandering the park.

I agree in principle though, that guest wearing costumes would be more fun.