Star Wars Land coming to Disneyland and Disneyworld!

Reaction score
I think Disney would be wise to re-theme the land to the OT in a few years, once the ST trilogy is truly in the rearview.

The OT will always be the heart of SW and the thing by which everything else is measured. Every subsequent bit of SW lore is dependent on it to some degree or another and (for the most part), the best SW stories are set during that same timeframe.

With Imperial era, you obviously have the classic trilogy, plus Solo and Rogue One, Rebels and The Mandalorian (more or less.) The upcoming Obi Wan and Cassian series will also be set in the classic era. The ST recycled OT designs constantly, never really building their own aesthetic. The OT is just what most people think of when they think SW and there will be no need to try to cross promote the ST anymore.

And it would be a fairly "simple" re-theme. Repaint the X-wing and A-wing, re-record some of Hondo's dialogue so that he's working for the "rebellion" not the Resistance. Swap out the stormtroopers and Kylo for Imperial troops and Vader, etc. Would also give them the chance to put in Boba Fett and a few other "classic" characters.

The only real stumbling block would be "Rise of the Resistance." Though I haven't been on it yet, it is obviously steeped in ST iconography and features appearances from ST cast members. That would be a tough one to re-skin for sure.
100% agree with you. The Original Trilogy are all classics and they are what made Star Wars what it is today. I think it would have been of more public acceptance to have done the Land the other way around to what it is today. Have most of it being the OT, which old and young like and recognize, and sprinkle around everything else that came after. I've been there already and the lack of Original Trilogy characters and overall feel, to me and others that've been there with me, is like a lot is missing. Everything looks nice, don't get me wrong, but definitely it lacks on what made this franchise popular.

Reaction score
100% agree with you. The Original Trilogy are all classics and they are what made Star Wars what it is today. I think it would have been of more public acceptance to have done the Land the other way around to what it is today. Have most of it being the OT, which old and young like and recognize, and sprinkle around everything else that came after. I've been there already and the lack of Original Trilogy characters and overall feel, to me and others that've been there with me, is like a lot is missing. Everything looks nice, don't get me wrong, but definitely it lacks on what made this franchise popular.

Disagree. Star Wars isn't just the OT. Its several different eras, and all of them are represented in some way on Batuu. If you want a Star Wars experience Galaxy's Edge will give you that in spades. If you want just a SW experience that's dedicated to just one specific era then of course you will be disappointed.

Reaction score
Disagree. Star Wars isn't just the OT. Its several different eras, and all of them are represented in some way on Batuu. If you want a Star Wars experience Galaxy's Edge will give you that in spades. If you want just a SW experience that's dedicated to just one specific era then of course you will be disappointed.
Well, yes and no. The timeframe of Batuu is the Sequel Trilogy and that is by far the dominant theme/aesthetic. That said, because, by definition, the ST is the most "recent" bit of Star Wars history, they can reference everything else that came before as part of "history."

I understand why the chose the ST for that reason and, let's face it, because they wanted to cross promote their current film franchise. It totally makes sense from their POV.

And I'm not one of those guys who complains that there's "no star wars!" in Star Wars land. That's just a bunch of whiny crap. There obviously IS a lot of OT there (um, Millennium Falcon anyone?).

But I do think changing the land to the more familiar, "classic" era eventually would be a good move, even if it meant we wouldn't see Rey anymore.

Reaction score
Spent a full week last month at Disney, with much time at GE. This was our 2nd time to GE (went in october too) and I gotta say I initially had reservations about it, the desire for an OT theme was pretty strong for me for awhile leading up to our initial visit. The bottom line is that I absolutely love it. I'm not "crazy" for it, but I love it for what it is. I feel that while there's certainly elements that could be better for the sake of "immersion," I recognize there's limitations.

My favorite part of it is Oga's Cantina for sure. My mother came with me and my wife to GE and to Oga's and while she understands star wars, she wasn't aware the cast members were doubling as role players, so it was a bit enjoyable when one bartender was messing with her when asking where she was from.

I do concede that aside from enjoying the aesthetics and general atmosphere, it is most definitely centered around shopping/merch. We were fortunate to have a bit of extra spending money post wedding, so I was lucky to afford more than I normally would on our trip. Me and her both did our own droid build, I did the Savi's Workshop experience and got to ride the new Rise of the Resistance, which in of itself was a pretty cool experience.

That being said though, I generally enjoy what it has to offer as it is. Sure, I would have certainly preferred some OT era theming but I'm no longer die-hard about that. I do feel if you objectively observe what they have built, it effectively is Mos Eisely style architecture, just in different color tones, so if Disney was absolutely ever motivated enough, they could basically "re-skin" the entire area with the tan/sand color pallet, and you'd be none the wiser to think it was anything else before.

I do look forward to going back. I think there's potential for changing things up and adding fresh things. I will say I absolutely love going there at night when it's all lit up- it's gorgeous.

Reaction score
While i do agree with that.

My problem is the era it's mostly set in and the FO in particular. Just don't like them nor the design aesthetic.

I doubt they'll ever change it because the ST is Disney, that's their vision of what Star Wars is and should be now. And would rather promote than ever going back to OT era.

If the movies had been better and had a very different backdrop, it could have been much bigger and better experience.

Reaction score
I do plan to attend either towards the end of this year or next year. What OT vehicles do they have on display? Is it just the Falcon? Are there any static displays like a speeder bike that one can sit on for a photo op?

Frankly, when I first heard about Disney doing a full blown Star Wars land I was really hoping I would be able to sit in the cockpit of all the starfighters like classic OT X-wing, Y-wing, A-wing, and B-wing. And Imperial ships like a Tie Fighter at least. Also, a snowspeeder. Not even as a ride. Just to be able to sit in the cockpit or at least get up close and stand next to it and take some photos. They don't even need to have the whole starfighter. It would cool to just get into the cockpit. I recall going to the Air Force museum in Ohio and they had an F-16 cockpit and an F-4 cockpit that you could walk up and just sit in. That was really cool to me. I always try to do cockpit sits whenever I go to air shows. I've sat in an Apache helicopter and a B-1 bomber and it was the highlight of my visit. I can recall making my own X-wing cockpit at home and pretending to be Luke dogfighting the Imperials. 😁

Reaction score
I do plan to attend either towards the end of this year or next year. What OT vehicles do they have on display? Is it just the Falcon? Are there any static displays like a speeder bike that one can sit on for a photo op?

Frankly, when I first heard about Disney doing a full blown Star Wars land I was really hoping I would be able to sit in the cockpit of all the starfighters like classic OT X-wing, Y-wing, A-wing, and B-wing. And Imperial ships like a Tie Fighter at least. Also, a snowspeeder. Not even as a ride. Just to be able to sit in the cockpit or at least get up close and stand next to it and take some photos. They don't even need to have the whole starfighter. It would cool to just get into the cockpit. I recall going to the Air Force museum in Ohio and they had an F-16 cockpit and an F-4 cockpit that you could walk up and just sit in. That was really cool to me. I always try to do cockpit sits whenever I go to air shows. I've sat in an Apache helicopter and a B-1 bomber and it was the highlight of my visit. I can recall making my own X-wing cockpit at home and pretending to be Luke dogfighting the Imperials. 😁
Assuming you're talking Disney World, they removed the Speederbike photo op that was across from Tatooine Traders/Star Tours as they expanded the bathrooms. I know it was fairly recent, but yea.

As for vehicles in GE, with the exception of the falcon, all other vehicles are sequel trilogy- X-wing, A-wing, TIE Landing ship (forgot the actual name, but it's "exclusive" to GE next to the FO store). There's a section with landspeeder type vehicles, one is quite similar to Luke's in ANH, but the others appear unique.

Reaction score
Assuming you're talking Disney World, they removed the Speederbike photo op that was across from Tatooine Traders/Star Tours as they expanded the bathrooms. I know it was fairly recent, but yea.

As for vehicles in GE, with the exception of the falcon, all other vehicles are sequel trilogy- X-wing, A-wing, TIE Landing ship (forgot the actual name, but it's "exclusive" to GE next to the FO store). There's a section with landspeeder type vehicles, one is quite similar to Luke's in ANH, but the others appear unique.
Yeah, it would be Disneyworld. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score

As has been said, there's the Falcon, an X-Wing, An A-Wing, another X-Wing on the RotR queue, several landspeeders and the TIE "Echelon" which looks like a cross between an Imperial shuttle and a TIE...all of these are on display only and/or used by characters, but not for guests to interact with.

There IS a (Solo-version) speederbike that you can sit on, but that's it in terms of stuff you can touch. Which is a bit of a shame. It would be great if they had some kind of photo op for one of the starfighers where you could get inside and take a pic. Even if it was just the A-Wing, since that's closer to the ground and arguably safer. Alas....

Reaction score
While i do agree with that.

My problem is the era it's mostly set in and the FO in particular. Just don't like them nor the design aesthetic.

I doubt they'll ever change it because the ST is Disney, that's their vision of what Star Wars is and should be now. And would rather promote than ever going back to OT era.
It's "their" version of Star Wars now....but won't be for much longer. The Sequel Trilogy will soon fade into being just another chapter in SW history, no longer current or in need of cross-promotion.

However, the Cassian Andor series, the Obi Wan series...these are set in the Imperial era. The Mandalorian, a huge hit, features the Empire (albeit the "remant" Empire) as its villains.

It looks like the post ST approach is back to the OT. So everything old is new again. If things continue like this, who knows what they'll decide to do with GE...?

Who knows what the next films will look like? Or what the next TV series will be after these three.....

Reaction score
As someone who really enjoys the first 2/3 of the new trilogy, I inherently don't mind they set it in the ST. But, given that the current rumors are that the next series of movies will be set in the Old Republic (i.e. a longer time ago), along with the aforementioned fact that so many of the shows are in the Imperial era...I actually think that reinforces the decision to set it in the ST. It's easier to add in things that are from "the past" than it would be to switch everything over to "the future" (if the movies were going in that direction).

And at least there will be a little more OT (or all-saga) flavor with the inclusion of R2-D2 roaming around the land.

Reaction score
does anyone know if the Disney Credit Card has any advantages with booking a trip to Disney or using it at the park??
I believe you can get all this info at this link.

Reaction score
does anyone know if the Disney Credit Card has any advantages with booking a trip to Disney or using it at the park??
It's usually 10% off purchases of $50 or more, excluding specialty items like legacy lightsabers.

There are also discounts available for booking rooms at the Disney hotels, but usually during off seasons only.

Reaction score
It's usually 10% off purchases of $50 or more, excluding specialty items like legacy lightsabers.

There are also discounts available for booking rooms at the Disney hotels, but usually during off seasons only.
Do you know if the the build a droids are excluded? We have the card and are heading down in May. All 3 of my kids want to build droids... If I could save some that be great.

Reaction score
I believe anything that is an "experience", build a saber/droid, is exempt from any kind of discount.

Custom astromech droid units are nonrefundable and are not eligible for Annual Passholder or other discounts

Reaction score
Upon reflection, I think I am disappointed in the land design itself (not the rides, not the merch, etc.) There just isn't much to experience, it's either looking at the Falcon or walking through the relatively short market. I think the area needs more characters in costumes - Rodians, Twi'leks, whatever - just walking around, interacting with guests for photo ops, etc. The occasional First Order trooper and a Kylo Ren spitting out pre-recorded lines is not enough to make you feel immersed. More hands-on experiences, like one where you can enter a hangar and climb into your favorite ship's cockpit would've added so much - and people would gladly pay for a photo op like that!

Speaking of ships, Disney was testing X-Wing drones to fly over the park for special events, like the opening of Rise of the Resistance. I say drones need to be used more often than special events. Maybe every hour or two a "fleet" takes off and circles Galaxy's Edge. Maybe there are safety laws restricting this, but it's Disney - they can make it work.

I think the land being Batuu is fine, if a little underwhelming. Sure, it's visually stunning, but unlike Pandora where I immediately know where I am, it is not apparent I'm in a galaxy far, far away - save for the Millennium Falcon. I truly believe not having the land be set in one or more familiar locales was a mistake. I understand Disney is owning their trilogy and stories, but you would get so much more traction by including OT and even PT themes.

Another thing I noticed on my initial visit was the Islamic vibe to the decor and fixtures. I went to Morocco a couple of months afterwards and was very surprised to find that the markets were, in many cases, extremely similar to Galaxy's Edge. I mean, almost all of the decor was straight out of Morocco. This made it feel less unique to me, and I wish Disney had created more of the fixtures and such themselves instead of importing them from other places. Anyone who has been to Morocco or other Islamic countries will likely recognize the designs.

I do understand that everything has to be based off of something. I just wish it was not so blatant.

Overall, I still enjoy Galaxy's Edge for what it is, but I would be a repeat visitor if it had a strong, familiar Star Wars feel, with more experiences to be had.

Reaction score
Disney could almost run with the idea of Disneyland, making a full SW park, with things like "Hoth Land" and "Endor Land," etc. Or do something like EPCOT but featuring the worlds of Star Wars. Instead of the ball, it's the Death Star! Featuring a laser light show at night, with X-Wings, TIE Fighters, etc dogging it out, fireworks explosions, the DS firing off at the ships.

Reaction score
Disney could almost run with the idea of Disneyland, making a full SW park, with things like "Hoth Land" and "Endor Land," etc. Or do something like EPCOT but featuring the worlds of Star Wars. Instead of the ball, it's the Death Star! Featuring a laser light show at night, with X-Wings, TIE Fighters, etc dogging it out, fireworks explosions, the DS firing off at the ships.
This is exactly what they should do and should have done in the first place.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I agree, a full on Star Wars park would be awesome...and I think they should build it in Texas ;)
Well, perhaps not Hoth land, or Mon Cal. It would be ideal for Jakku or Tatooine though! I think Northern Cali called dibs on Endor already.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Coming soon to Alaska, Hoth Land! IDK where the heck Mon Cal would go.
There was a rumor that Disney did want to open a resort in Canada so we might get Hoth yet.

Global Warming or the next super quake can determine where Mon Cal can go.

Reaction score
I just heard about a Millennium Falcon french fry souvenir container. Apparently it lights up. Anybody get this? I recall they had a AT-AT popcorn bucket either last year or the year before.

I dunno, seems like the Falcon is not really container friendly as opposed to the AT-AT or R2.

Last edited:
Reaction score
We have 2 of the AT-ATs at home. Cute things. Also the mouse droid from GE is awesome and you can actually link them up in a train if you have multiples. A bunch of friends in Orlando have been showing off the Falcon though

Reaction score
Got to ride Rise of the Resistance on Friday at Disneyland, opening day. Was the last group of the day. I knew it was a lottery system with the app and would've been a little bummed if we missed it but we just made the cut. Wife built an elemental saber, purple and bought an extra yellow kyber crystal.

Reaction score
I'm overly paranoid about such things in general, but I would be wary of eating popcorn out of one of those containers. They're made cheaply in overseas factories, and chemical agents are used to free them from the molds. I highly doubt Disney is having them properly sterilized and cleaned before filling them with popcorn. More than likely, they go straight from the assembly line, into a shipping box, and then right into your children's hands....or yours!

Yes, I'm probably overreacting, but I like to think my mania keeps me alive. 🤪

Reaction score
depending on design/shape of the bucket the popcorn doesn't always go directly in the bucket, in fact most times, they're given to you separately anyways. if that was also a concern for you, you can ask for them separately
The process you are bringing up - cheaply produced plastic items made overseas going straight from assembly line to box - is applicable to most items in your everyday household 🤷

Reaction score
"cheaply produced plastic items made overseas going straight from assembly line to box - is applicable to most items in your everyday household"

I know. But the difference is when I buy a plastic container, ice tray, utensil, mug, or whatever at the store, I make sure to wash it before using it. Can't do that when you're at the park, heh. If the popcorn goes into a paper bag, which then goes inside the R2 container, then that's a different story.

Reaction score
Because you can request them to be separated (and sometimes they already are) you could wash them at the park if you really wanted to. Beyond initial use at the park most people use these as collectible, for display purposes. I would also imagine that if one were going to continue to use it at home they would wash it out before using again since it will have salty, buttery, popcorn residue all over it. I don't imagine one time is gonna give you some kind of cancer or disease.

Reaction score
You know I was just thinking the last few days how this is going to impact my trip there in April. And had just put on my upon arriving shopping list, hand sanitizer! lol All kidding aside though I'm slightly nervous, not for my risk because I always travel prepared, but of other complications due from the forced panic among the masses. And what may be shut down or cancelled travel carriers. One think I hope, is that it will create less crowds so that the park is less packed. Hopefully by then they get things under control, and loosen up.

Reaction score
Perhaps, but when you think about how many people frequent the park on a daily basis, and how many actual U.S. cases there are. Seems a little overboard. IMO

Especially considering place of origin, and if they are preventing travel from said Country. All this is is feeding into the fallacy of a pandemic, when you're far more likely to catch a stomach bug while there.