Star Wars Hot Wheels Elite: let's give them a thread of their own!

Reaction score
I know that this line is briefly discussed in the Hot Wheels Thread already, but as that thread originally dealt with the small scale models only, I felt that the Elite line is a bit lost there. And boy, these ships don't deserve being lost. In fact, I hope to get some deserved attention to the line, which may help it to continue.

I am not a professional when it comes to models. I do not own an EFX or MR model, but I got the full line from DeAgostini (still soo underrated!), all Micro Machines, some Hot Wheels, the full Disney DieCast assortment, I built some Bandai kits and more. So I would at least say that I can judge models within a cheap to medium price range.

To wrap it up: since a few years, the Hot Wheels Elite line offers DieCast products from various licenses. James Bond, Batman, Ghostbusters, Back to the future and more got nice, often 1:18 scaled collector models with a focus on: cars, of course. This year, the Elite line started with Star Wars. I was a bit shocked about the original price. However, after getting the first model rather cheap (41 USD at Amazon.com right now), I was really positively surprised.

In the meantime, I got the Tie Fighter (only 25 USD at Amazon at that time) and the X-Wing (59 USD at Amazon at that time). I imported them, as it was still cheaper than the 79 Euro upwards per model here in Germany.

The Millennium Falcon has a great, detailed mold, nice paintjob, good (mostly printed, not painted) weathering, nice details with the magnet-attachable antennas and landing gear, good flight stand, nice box. And: no screw holes! Still not sure if this should cost 100 €, but for the price I paid, this is more than awesome.

The X-Wing Starfighter Red Five is well done too. There are some plastic parts which look a bit brighter than the metal parts and maybe could have been done better, and: this one has screw holes inside the wings. However, the weathering and detail is again really well done. You can open the canopy and see a tiny pilot as well. And again, this one has various exchangeable parts like landing gear, covers and more. The wings open with a nice mechanism, and you can get it into a good, dynamic pose with the simple, yet efficient flight stand.

The Tie Fighter is a more simple structure, but again the color scheme and the weathering is awesome. You can open the lid, and again a tiny pilot is inside. The window and the cover for the flight stand are again attached with magnet and can be exchanged / taken off. Most of the model is made of DieCast, however parts of the wings are plastic. This was sold here for 89 Euro and I must say that this would be too expensive for a model of that scale and detail. However, while 25 USD was supercheap, 50-60 € / USD would be justified from my experience and evaluation.

As you notice, the ships are not to scale. Sometimes they are advertised as "1:18" which they are certainly not. In fact, the scale varies from model to model, with the Tie and X-Wing being close to each other.

While the Falcon is the best model from this line, the other 2 are well done as well. I am really looking forward for more ships from the Elite Series. I can only imagine what Hot Wheels could do with that line, and I really hope it will continues. There were more ships anounced in the past, but I did not see any prototypes to keep my hopes high.

Reaction score
I got the Tie Fighter for the same deal on Amazon. It looks really great, except the serial # stamped on the outside bottom of the wing.

The Falcon I picked up last week at Tuesday Morning for $29. It is much better than what I expected. I love the magnetic accessories, especially the landing gears. I love the Disney die cast Falcon, but the landing gears barely stay up.

Reaction score
My brother happened to pick the Falcon up for his collection recently, so I didn't really bother picking up one for myself. I must say though I'm impressed with the detail and the weight. Only other vehicle I'm looking forward to is the Y-wing.

Reaction score
My brother happened to pick the Falcon up for his collection recently, so I didn't really bother picking up one for myself. I must say though I'm impressed with the detail and the weight. Only other vehicle I'm looking forward to is the Y-wing.
So far, EVERYONE I've been showing this thing has been impressed.

Was a Y-Wing ever anounced? There are so many possibilities in that line... As they are not to scale, they could even thing about a Nebulon B, Star Destroyer, Mon Calamari Cruiser, ...

Reaction score
Was a Y-Wing ever anounced?
No, not to my knowledge, but a Y-wing would be a definite buy for me. My only nitpick about the X-wing is that the cockpit opening isn't accurate to the film (unlike Action Fleet X-wing). But the Action Fleet Y-wing didn't get it right either, nor did Kenner/Hasbro but that was simply for spacing concerns. Maybe a HW Elite Y-wing will get around that. That's just me, wanting to display my fighters in that manner. A ladder accessory wouldn't hurt either. :D

If capital ships do get put on the table, the Tantive IV is at the top of the list.

Reaction score
I have the Millennium Falcon and it’s a worth addition to my collection.

I would definitely pick up a Solo version.

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread SEL, I've been watching these with interest as the prices start to come down. From what I've seen of them up close, they're very nice quality but I still think they're only worth the same as similr lines such as Dark Horse Halo or Mass Effect ships. I'd still like to get at least one for a representation of the line, probably one of the X-Wings. I'd love a Y-Wing to come out but I don't know how well they're selling and it took an age to get these released. I echo Rodders words, I'd love a Kessel Run MF too

Reaction score
and it took an age to get these released.
I recall Bigbadtoystore advertising these quite some time ago on preorder and feeling some cold feet whether they were cancelled or not. IIRC, weren't they advertising Poe's and Resistance X-wing too? I have the Disney die-cast versions, but I'm curious how they'd compare.

Reaction score
While I think these are great, I would have to pass on these for a few reasons.

1: The price. While I can afford them, it does get a bit expensive when all the ships are that high in price. I could buy them if they go lower in price, but that leads me to..

2: Space and past collectibles. I need to draw the line in collecting somewhere. I did just move into a new house where I have more room. Its just most of my stuff is packed away, so I'm not sure at how much room I would exactly have. Also I am happy with the Titanium versions of these ships, so if I do pick these up I feel like I'd be buying doubles, in my opinion. The same with the Disney die-cast ships. These are really nice though.

Reaction score
I recall Bigbadtoystore advertising these quite some time ago on preorder and feeling some cold feet whether they were cancelled or not. IIRC, weren't they advertising Poe's and Resistance X-wing too? I have the Disney die-cast versions, but I'm curious how they'd compare.
Those even got release dates lately, I think it was November on Amazon!

I own the full Disney DieCast line, but the Hot Wheels are a different level imo.

Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question as I haven't picked up any of the Disney die cast yet, so the Hot Wheels ones are just do much better?

Reaction score
I like the Hot Wheels for the weathering detail which gives that less toyetic feel compared to the Disney Die Cast, but the big price difference is the only killjoy.

Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question as I haven't picked up any of the Disney die cast yet, so the Hot Wheels ones are just do much better?
I love the Disney DieCast. For 15 bucks e.g. the Falcon is a tremendous model, with an unbelievable price tag. To bad the line was discontinued.

However and although smaller, the Hot Wheels are quite superior from detail, coloring, weathering, functions. We should not forget the flaws e.g. with the Disney DieCast Falcon landing gear which never stood out. Hot Whells found elegant, durable solutions for questions like this. Are they 80 bucks superior, judging from retail price? I still don't know. But they are quite superior on the first look already.

Reaction score
Thank you for the information, do the Disney ships have a display stand with them or would that be one advantage that Hot Wheels would have.
Do agree Disney ones do have a much better price point even after looking at them on Ebay.

Reaction score
Thank you for the information, do the Disney ships have a display stand with them or would that be one advantage that Hot Wheels would have.
Do agree Disney ones do have a much better price point even after looking at them on Ebay.
The Disney ships did not include display stands, even for the vehicles that basically necessitate one. There are some eBay sellers that make and sell some acrylic stands for them (as well as the Hasbro figure vehicles).

Reaction score
Can anyone that found any of these at Tuesday Morning look at their receipt (or the TuesMorn price sticker) and tell me Tuesday Morning's SKU number for these Elite ships? I'm not talking about the Mattel UPC code, evidently TM uses their own SKU numbers in their computer. I stopped at the closest TM near me and they didn't have any, however the mgr told me she could look up other stores in her network if I had the number.

Thanks ahead of time.. Strobeeone, I'm hoping you have this info.

Reaction score
Can anyone that found any of these at Tuesday Morning look at their receipt (or the TuesMorn price sticker) and tell me Tuesday Morning's SKU number for these Elite ships? I'm not talking about the Mattel UPC code, evidently TM uses their own SKU numbers in their computer. I stopped at the closest TM near me and they didn't have any, however the mgr told me she could look up other stores in her network if I had the number.

Thanks ahead of time.. Strobeeone, I'm hoping you have this info.
On the receipt it is listed as the following

1999254 HW SW MILLENNIUM FA 29.99

Hope this helps

Reaction score
If anyone doesn't know yet, there's also their 1-800 help line that you check stock in your area with the SKU and zip code. It's been a while since I've used it though, plus it helps to call the store to verify their stock numbers.

Reaction score
My mom found the X-wing at Bargain Hunt. The price tag said it was originally $37, but it was marked down an extra 25% to $28.

Reaction score
A shame as i was quite hoping for a Solo version.

I know that these are expensive, but i'm quite taken with them. I'd probably pick up the Rebels Ghost too.

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the Elite Millennium Falcon if I see it at a reduced price...but am also considering the Disney store version. This looks verrry slick + has interchangeable antennae and magnetic landing gear...I just wish it had an opening ramp like the Disney one does. My main purpose for getting either would be to display it with my MM scale figures, so in that case the Disney store one (with its ramp and larger size) would be better...but it doesn't look near as good as the Elite one, which looks like it flew off the screen!

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the Elite Millennium Falcon if I see it at a reduced price...but am also considering the Disney store version. This looks verrry slick + has interchangeable antennae and magnetic landing gear...I just wish it had an opening ramp like the Disney one does. My main purpose for getting either would be to display it with my MM scale figures, so in that case the Disney store one (with its ramp and larger size) would be better...but it doesn't look near as good as the Elite one, which looks like it flew off the screen!
You can not really compare the 2. The Disney DieCast was awesome for the low price point, but it also had serious flaws, from the landing gear which never stays out to the paintjob.

The HW Elite is a diffferent kind of animal. Although I love the low cost DieCast series from Disney and still pity that it is discontinued, I would prefer the HW anytime.

Reaction score
I appreciate the info, I think if I find the Elite MF for the right price I will get that instead of the Disney one. Thanks! B)

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I got my X-wing in over the weekend. Not bad. Not worth the full price given the size IMO. $35 is a very good price I think. Now I have all 3 ships. All at a discount I might add. :D Picked up the MF at Tuesday Morning about a month ago for $30 and there was a listing for a Tie on Amazon for $23 at the time.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I got my X-wing in over the weekend. Not bad. Not worth the full price given the size IMO. $35 is a very good price I think. Now I have all 3 ships. All at a discount I might add. :D Picked up the MF at Tuesday Morning about a month ago for $30 and there was a listing for a Tie on Amazon for $23 at the time.
No problem. I got my MF from Tuesday Morning, and my Tie from the exact same listing on Amazon. I was waiting to find the X-wing in the same range when I came across that listing by chance. I agree it is a great ship at that price. I have to say that I like these WAY more than I expected. I have all of the Disney die cast vehicles, and I didn’t expect these to be as good as, let alone even better than those.

Reaction score
No problem. I got my MF from Tuesday Morning, and my Tie from the exact same listing on Amazon. I was waiting to find the X-wing in the same range when I came across that listing by chance. I agree it is a great ship at that price. I have to say that I like these WAY more than I expected. I have all of the Disney die cast vehicles, and I didn’t expect these to be as good as, let alone even better than those.
I feel the same. I didn't think I would like them as much as I did until I had each on in hand. The detail is there even though the size is not huge. To be fair the size is not a bad thing. They display nicely on a shelf and you don't have to worry about making a lot of room for them. I just feel that for the MSRP I would expect something larger like some of the larger scale Eaglemoss Star Trek ships. But, at the discount price they are totally worth it.

Reaction score
Thats why I started this thread. I agree with you guys: the full price is a bit over the top (although I may buy further releases of that line immediately at full price), but for the lower prices which I chose as well, they are more than awesome. Especially the falcon is a breathtaking model for the 40-50 USD price range.

I still track this line, but I did not see any releases or news, so I am a bit afraid it my have been shortlived. The fast price cuts would speak a similar language.

Reaction score
So... is this line dead? None of the anouncements of further X-Wings came through, and I do not see any news on this line. It is a real pity - speaking of vehicles, this was the most promising new line in years. :(

Reaction score
I bought the X-Wing from amazon before Christmas and was really surprised at how nice it is. Displayed with my Diecast Disney Falcon, Slave 1, and TIE fighter, it really looks like it’s in an entirely different league (scale differences aside). I also have the diecast Disney Star Destroyer which I think is great already, but I would have liked to see what Hot Wheels could have done with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk