Star Wars Holiday Special Focus - by Niktom

Reaction score
Are you attending Star Wars Celebration Chicago and are a Holiday Special Fan.... then this panel is for you!

I have another thread showcasing my whole Star Wars room which does show off some of this focus but since I can no longer edit the first post of it, I wanted to create one just for the Holiday Special.

Back in 2007 I decided to start focusing on items from and related to the Star Wars Holiday Special.
Easy, right? There really can't be that much stuff out there for something that only aired once, can there?

Well....

TV Guide Pages -

Press Kit Mylar Poster

Press Photos

"Light the Sky on Fire" by Jefferson Starship
More information about the individual items can be found in this thread.

Vintage References to the Holiday Special

Autographs

Fisher Price Adventure People Figure used for Lumpy unproduced figure

Fabric with Boba Fett quote

Misc Modern

Trading Cards

Misc Books and Magazines with Holiday Special References/Articles/Photos

Last edited:
Reaction score
Love it! And I'm not only saying that because you have a box of Fetties ;) I might have an extra box flat of that cereal, send me your addy and I'll ship it to you if I find it. If you want it that is :) Not often you see an unique collection like that anymore, great update.

Mattias

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Love it! And I'm not only saying that because you have a box of Fetties ;) I might have an extra box flat of that cereal, send me your addy and I'll ship it to you if I find it. If you want it that is :) Not often you see an unique collection like that anymore, great update.

Mattias
Heck yeah!!! I'm all about making additions to the collection. Love those Fetties. Someone needs to make a commercial for them and insert it into a copy of the HS. PM inbound soon.

A new item hit my mail box two days ago.

1983 - Jump Magazine from Japan. This is a fantastic book that covers all three movies plus the Holiday Special. LOTS of production photos from SW, ESB and ROJ. Has some storyboard copies and a sweet poster in the front. Unlike pretty much all modern "inclusive" Star Wars specials or publications touting to tell you all about the Saga, this one actually does (at least for the time period) by including the best part... the Holiday Special.

Anyone want to volunteer to translate for me?

Reaction score
Really cool focus. It's amazing to see how much stuff is out there for the Holiday Special. Do you ever have any competition when trying to acquire items? I don't imagine too many others have the same focus.

Reaction score
Really cool focus. It's amazing to see how much stuff is out there for the Holiday Special. Do you ever have any competition when trying to acquire items? I don't imagine too many others have the same focus.
Yes, there is some competition from time to time but nothing like so many areas of this hobby. I've certainly taken part in my share of Ebay bidding wars. Of course, anything with Boba Fett is going to be a pain due to all the Fett Fanatics (of which, I'm a recovering one) going after it too.

Reaction score
Finishing out 2015 with a little update.

Mylar Press Kit Poster - it's taken me nearly 7 years to track one of these down... a very proud addition!

Bantha Tracks #5 with an "Introducing Boba Fett" article on the back. References his first appearance in the Holiday Special.

Bantha Tracks SW 10th Anv Poster from 1987. Large timeline of Star Wars events and has the Holiday Special listed under November 1978

35mm Slide showing Rycar Ryjerd also known as "Little Flash Gordon" in a scene that was cut from Star Wars. A portion of the scene was used in the "Life on Tatooine" segment of the Holiday Special. This particular shot though didn't even make it into the Holiday Special... but still a uniquely related find.

Scene from "Life on Tatooine" segment

Actual 35mm Slide

And finally a few modern items:

Darth Vader #1 Comic with Alex Ross cover and autograph.

Often a picture from the Holiday Special cantina scene will be used on modern items instead of one from Star Wars. Here are two of the most recent examples I've found.

Ponda Baba Conexions

Disney Park Collector Pin - Greedo/Bludlow

Reaction score
Great Focus, I always enjoy seeing what the latest acquisitions are. On a side note, the latest HOW DID THIS GET MADE podcast takes apart the Holiday Special.

Reaction score
My hometown has a locally owned old-timey cinema and I took the kids to see Force Awakens, and they were running The Holiday Special as a pre-show item. Nobody could understand how I knew what was coming up. (i.e., Pour it in your head Harvey Korman! Or, man I wish Bea Arthur would sing a song).

Lex

Reaction score
My hometown has a locally owned old-timey cinema and I took the kids to see Force Awakens, and they were running The Holiday Special as a pre-show item. Nobody could understand how I knew what was coming up. (i.e., Pour it in your head Harvey Korman! Or, man I wish Bea Arthur would sing a song).
What was the condition? Did they show a generation x tape on screen? There has now been found the master tape, I watched it this week, the quality doesn't get any better than that! Talk about warming people up for TFA by showing the HS...

Reaction score
What was the condition? Did they show a generation x tape on screen? There has now been found the master tape, I watched it this week, the quality doesn't get any better than that! Talk about warming people up for TFA by showing the HS...
It was one of the more recent high quality ones. There's on on YouTube called WHIO 1st Gen tape or something that has a similar quality.

HWR

Reaction score
Congrats one adding this rarity to your cool focus, and thanks for sharing this very unique collection with the rest of us.

Reaction score
I have a pretty extensive card collection. Those Star Wars shop exclusive 'holiday special' cards are really very hard (and expensive) to locate. Grail cards if you can get your hands on the lower numbers. I have but a few (or four) only.

Good luck for the future hunt

Reaction score
I have a pretty extensive card collection. Those Star Wars shop exclusive 'holiday special' cards are really very hard (and expensive) to locate. Grail cards if you can get your hands on the lower numbers. I have but a few (or four) only. Good luck for the future hunt
Yea... those darn cards are the most frustrating thing about this focus. The few I've seen pop up over time, my only thought was... "you want how much for a little card?!?!?" I wasn't even working on this focus back when those came out but it wouldn't have mattered. From what I understand the distribution was terrible and impossible to even get close to predicting which one you would get. Think I read somewhere that some people even placed several orders with SWShop in hopes of getting the full set but ended up with mostly duplicates. I got one, think it came with my toaster. Can't even remember where I picked up my second one. Needless to say, those things are low on my list just because the pain in the rear they are.

Reaction score
I have one of those fan club cards, if you don't have it I'll gladly turn it over to add to that unbeatable lot. let me know and I'll dig it out of the binder it's in It's a card of the cartoon imagery, on the Falcon I think it's th common one w/ Fett & Solo upside down in the background, real cheap on ebay, so you probably got it- were there assorted ones, or did we all get the same one?

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is the SWShop collection.

The one you're describing sounds like this guy which is from the SW Galaxy collection.

Yea, pretty common and I do have it. Thank you card collecting in the 90s!!

But if you (or anyone else) do have an extra SWShop card laying around that I don't have... I'd entertain picking it up. A link to my HS want thread is in my signature if anyone is interested in helping to further the focus as well. :D

Reaction score
Small bumpdate...

A chance find among some old clippings - Newspaper TV Guide Ad

Bea Arthur and Harvey Korman Press Photo

ROJ book from Japan (1984) This actually chronicles all of the movies in addition to the Holiday Special.

Shots from the inside.

Recent non-vintage items - German Star Wars Fan Club Magazines (SW Insider) from 2002 and 2005. Both feature articles about the Holiday Special with a good number of pictures.

Reaction score
A few new additions:

TV Week - Chicago Tribune Ads

Swedish Magazine Behind the Scenes Article

Swedish Article with a Fisher behind the scenes shot.

Cantina Creatures Sculptor Article

Royal Animation Art Inc Ads for Seri-Cels from the 90s

A few modern occurrences of HS images.

Collector Cards

Recent issue of SW Insider which features an article about Animated Boba Fett.

Reaction score
Amazing run! That is just crazy.

I saw the flash gun you had and remembered that years ago I built a luke saber from the special. There are only a few pics of that version and I must have stared at those for hours trying to figure out what they used to make it. This is what I finally ended up with

Reaction score
Thanks!

That saber looks great!
My original plan was to do the same but changed my mind. Mostly due to the lack of reference material... well, and the fact that I'm lazy. LOL!

Funny story with mine, the guy auctioning it off on Ebay listed it as "NOT THE ONE FROM STAR WARS" and he basically wrote a paragraph about how this is not the one you're looking for to make a lightsaber, how he was tired of being asked if it was the right one, and how people should be ashamed of themselves for "mutilating" camera equipment to make "silly movie props". The gun, all mounting equipment, full set of everything, plus a couple of packs of bulbs set me back a whole $25 shipped. On his seller feedback I posted "Thanks for the great addition to my Star Wars Holiday Special collection, this will make a great looking lightsaber!"

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Heck yeah!!! I'm all about making additions to the collection. Love those Fetties. Someone needs to make a commercial for them and insert it into a copy of the HS. PM inbound soon.

A new item hit my mail box two days ago.

1983 - Jump Magazine from Japan. This is a fantastic book that covers all three movies plus the Holiday Special. LOTS of production photos from SW, ESB and ROJ. Has some storyboard copies and a sweet poster in the front. Unlike pretty much all modern "inclusive" Star Wars specials or publications touting to tell you all about the Saga, this one actually does (at least for the time period) by including the best part... the Holiday Special.

Anyone want to volunteer to translate for me?

I want one of these!

Reaction score
Big Update!

After networking with another long time Holiday Special collector, I've been able to add a few jewels to the collection along with some more modern occurrences/references.

A couple of press photos

These are High Res photos from the Holiday Special that were used by toy creators in the 90s to work on Cantina related items. As far as anyone knows, they have never been published in high resolution on any website and some have never even been published. The detail that can be seen on the costumes is amazing! Note- please do not ask for scans, close ups, or copies of these images.

A selection of autographs that have been picked up over the years by mail and in person. Includes: Don Francks (Voice of Boba Fett), Patty Maloney (Lumpy), Marty Balin (lead singer, Jefferson Starship), Yuichi Sugiyama (Holo Circus Ringleader), Wazzan Circus Troupe, and some of the Imperial Guards/Officers.

Modern Items

TV Guides from June 12, 1999 which features a pullout that mentions the Holiday Special

Star Wars Shop Trading Card #6

Boba Fett pin given out at Celebration Europe

Steam Wars - Holiday Special Comic

Star Wars #15 Comic

Smuggler's Bounty Exclusive Pop Vinyl

Reaction score
Hey Niktom. Not sure if you're a podcast listener, but there are a couple podcasts that I think you may be interested in. Gilbert Gottfried's podcast had the TV director Steve Binder and they talked about the Holiday Special. Even better, the podcast I was There Too just did an interview with a guy who worked as a camera man on the Holiday Special and he had a lot of good stuff about it. He also took hundreds of set photos during the production, which I don't know if he has ever released. He did say he'd had the slides scanned so they're all digitized at least. There are a few posted on the I Was There Too page about this particular show.

Here is the link to the IWTT podcast:

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/the-star-wars-holiday-special-with-larry-heider/

Last edited:
Reaction score
I take it you already have downloaded all the different video versions, including the HD from last year-ish that was taken directly from a long hidden broadcast master?

Reaction score
Wow... looks like I've seriously neglected this thread for a while!

I'll be attending Celebration next week and worked up some Holiday Special hand outs to give away. See if you can track me down to pick up some HS Bottle Caps made from promo photos.

Thanks for this! That's some good stuff and dang, those pics.
Hey Niktom. Not sure if you're a podcast listener, but there are a couple podcasts that I think you may be interested in. Gilbert Gottfried's podcast had the TV director Steve Binder and they talked about the Holiday Special. Even better, the podcast I was There Too just did an interview with a guy who worked as a camera man on the Holiday Special and he had a lot of good stuff about it. He also took hundreds of set photos during the production, which I don't know if he has ever released. He did say he'd had the slides scanned so they're all digitized at least. There are a few posted on the I Was There Too page about this particular show.

Here is the link to the IWTT podcast:

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/the-star-wars-holiday-special-with-larry-heider/

Sadly, no... I'm still running one of the oldest dvd copies out there. Guess I need to update for a better viewing experience. LOL!
BubbaVader said:
I take it you already have downloaded all the different video versions, including the HD from last year-ish that was taken directly from a long hidden broadcast master?

Reaction score
Sorry it's been so long on the updates to this thread... but, I'm proud to announce that I'll be taking part in a panel showcasing many of the Holiday Special items out there.
So, if you'll be attending Celebration Chicago and are a Holiday Special fan, then you will not want to miss this Collector Track Panel. Hope to see you there!