Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Light Side & The Dark Side

Reaction score
Who else got in on this? I wanted to go to the last two in CA, but just couldn't swing it. Now that they have one on the east coast, and it's within driving distance, my wife and I are in for the 5k and 10k. I would like to have done the Dark Side Challenge, but my limit at the moment is a 10k, and that's pushing it. I'd definitely need a medical droid if I ran the half marathon!

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll be running the 5k & Dark Side Challenge (10k & Half Marathon). I'm also running all three races in Anaheim again in January, so Kessel Run Challenge accepted!

Reaction score
I kind of figured you would be doing this Chris, but I can't imagine we're the only two health conscious nerds here! :wtf:
Then again, I could see the price holding people back, because these weren't cheap. That actually brings up a question since you've run this before. Does that price include admission to the park?

Reaction score
I ran both the 10k and half back in January. After the big crowds (tons of walkers) and hefty price, I opted not to run again. The medals are nice but it's less of a race and more of a sightseeing experience.

Reaction score
I'll be doing both the Light Side and Dark Side challenges. Can't wait to get the Kessel Run challenge medal, too. I just did the Avengers Infinity Gauntlet Challenge in November at Disneyland and had a great time.

Reaction score
Wow - I love the medals for the race! Interesting that they matched up the 10K race as a TIE Fighter to counterpoint the X-Wing 10K medal at Disneyland.

The Kessel Run Challenge medal is extra nice! I would assume that it replaces the Coast to Coast Medal?

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I kind of figured you would be doing this Chris, but I can't imagine we're the only two health conscious nerds here! :wtf:
Then again, I could see the price holding people back, because these weren't cheap. That actually brings up a question since you've run this before. Does that price include admission to the park?
No, Disney no longer offers park tickets to runners. You'll have to purchase that separately.

Reaction score
Who else got in on this? I wanted to go to the last two in CA, but just couldn't swing it. Now that they have one on the east coast, and it's within driving distance, my wife and I are in for the 5k and 10k. I would like to have done the Dark Side Challenge, but my limit at the moment is a 10k, and that's pushing it. I'd definitely need a medical droid if I ran the half marathon!
wow this is so neat, star wars and running!!!.. I had no clue this was going on?!?!?!?

I am a 10 time chicago marathon runner and have been running long distance for 11 years straight so this looks so cool. Is this still open or did it fill up? I just found out about this on the main page, where can I find more info about the SW half marathon,, I would love to add a Stars Wars medal to my other running medals! :D

thank you in advance!

Reaction score
All of Disney's races are at the runDisney | Disney Marathons and Running Events | Official Site site. Unfortunately the 1/2, 10K, and 5K are long sold out. They went on sale way back in September. The Dark Side Challenge is the counterpoint to the Disneyland Rebel Challenge where you run both the 10K and the 1/2. The Kessel Run challenge is to run both the 1/2s at the Star Wars 1/2 marathon weekends at both Disneyland and Disney World.

If you're interested in running in 2017, be on the lookout for registration for Disneyland in around May-June of this year.

Reaction score

Btw here's a closeup of the medals for the April Dark Side 1/2 Marathon weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WOW!!!!!! are you serious those are very cool medals! thank you very much for sharing the medals and the info for 2017, I certainly would love to do all of them, and add those medals. Like I said, I had no clue, none whatsoever that Disney had these sort of races with a Star Wars theme.

Guess Ill have to wait for next year but thank you again for sharing the medals and the info, I appreciate it!

Reaction score
You're welcome! Make sure you sign up for the runDisney mailing list too for all running updates. I did the Wine & Dine 1/2 and the Avengers 1/2 too in November and they were great.

Reaction score
You're welcome! Make sure you sign up for the runDisney mailing list too for all running updates. I did the Wine & Dine 1/2 and the Avengers 1/2 too in November and they were great.

Thank you again! you know what would be cool , is if there was a RebelScum teams running these races together lol

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Only 48 days until the Half Marathon Weekend at Disney World! How's the training going for everyone?

Reaction score
Training so far is a little slow for me, but it's mainly due to a full time job and spending my remaining free time trying to finish up a library reference book in the next month. Plus it's cold and snowy in Cleveland! I haven't gone for too many long runs due to the writing, but I'm trying to get back in shape since I did the 1/2 in January. I'm starting to run a long run on Wednesdays or Thursdays in the morning - started at 5 miles yesterday and each week I will be upping it by a mile. It should get me up to running a 1/2 by then as well as some interval training.

I think it'd be a great idea for a Rebelscum meet-up. Maybe at Star Tours or at the Indiana Jones-themed bar Jock Lindsay's at Disney Springs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Training so far is a little slow for me, but it's mainly due to a full time job and spending my remaining free time trying to finish up a library reference book in the next month. Plus it's cold and snowy in Cleveland! I haven't gone for too many long runs due to the writing, but I'm trying to get back in shape since I did the 1/2 in January. I'm starting to run a long run on Wednesdays or Thursdays in the morning - started at 5 miles yesterday and each week I will be upping it by a mile. It should get me up to running a 1/2 by then as well as some interval training.

I think it'd be a great idea for a Rebelscum meet-up. Maybe at Star Tours or at the Indiana Jones-themed bar Jock Lindsay's at Disney Springs.

man i wish I could have joined you guys :( hope you guys have great weather!!

Reaction score
Running the 5k, really looking forward to it, being my first 5k. Been running 2 miles a day every other day, will lead up to 3 miles next week probably to get used to the distance. Can't wait!

Reaction score
Love some of the merchandise. I know I have a few of the pins preordered already as well as the jacket. I might get a Kessel Run t-shirt when I'm there. I am already getting three running shirts from doing the 10K, 1/2 Marathan, and the Dark Side challenge.

Reaction score
Hope those of you who also ran this past weekend had a great race! Overall I had a fun time. The humidity on Saturday morning for the 10K was brutal. I got it done in 52:27. Luckily it was a little cooler on Sunday morning for the 1/2 marathon and finished it in 1:57:01. My times weren't any PR times for me - but I think having to get up at 2:30am and also the heat definitely played a factor. Still, I can't wait to do it again next year!

Reaction score
Time to revive this thread! (perhaps a new title is in order?)

I'll be a first-time runDisney participant, and am planning to do both the Disneyland and Disney World events in 2017. Registration for the Light Side races are coming up next Tuesday!

Who else is planning on participating next year?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm in! I just registered for the Light Side Challenge for Disneyland today since I'm an annual passholder (at least through July).

Reaction score
Nice! Maybe we can arrange a forum meet up at some point during the weekend.

Love the signature, by the way... B)

Reaction score
I was planning on the dark side challenge in 2017 until they announced Celebration Orlando 2017. I can't do both and I'm not missing Celebration. I've made it to the last three and it sits much higher on the priority list than the dark side challenge. Maybe 2018.

Reaction score
I'll be there!...In spirit that is, LOL!

I'd probably pass out trying to do one of these.

Reaction score
I'll be there!...In spirit that is, LOL!

I'd probably pass out trying to do one of these.
It's not as bad as you think. My goal was not to die since it was my first and I'm not a runner...at all. I managed to average well below the time limit and I walked more than planned since I was sick. If you're determined and stick to the training plan the Run Disney website provides, it's very possible.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I also registered for the Light Side Challenge and added the 5k to complete all three races again for the third year in a row. This is probably my favorite running event of the year, so I can't wait.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Early registration for passholders started today for the Star Wars - The Dark Side Half Marathon Weekend. I'm all signed up for the second annual event running the 5k and the Dark Side Challenge (10k & Half Marathon) to complete the Kessel Run Challenge again. Can't wait!

Reaction score
I signed up for the 5k and Dark Side Challenge, my wife is running the 5k and 10k. I can't believe how fast the 10k sold out!

Reaction score
The 10K was the only one that sold out in the pre-sale so people with season passes were trying to get that yesterday too