Star Wars Force Awakens Hotwheel (Question)

Reaction score
I found this hotwheel car from the Force Awakens in a thrift shop, figured it was nothing special but got it anyways.

I got to looking at it and realized that the car is dated at 2004. The Force Awakens came out in 2015 so I am quite confused as to how this car could have been made in 2004. Filming seems to have started only a years or two before the film? And Lucas didn’t even sell the franchise until 2012.

So if anyone can shed some light om this, it would be much appreciated!!

I have tried to share pictures but can’t for the life of me figure out how... sorry!

Reaction score
I don't really know much about Hot Wheels in particular, but to me, since it seems like a real and/or realistic model of car rather than one of theirs that's designed after a character's look, it's probably a repaint of an existing Hot Wheels mold/tooling that was first made or developed in 2004, just this time with a Star Wars livery.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Would they still have the 2004 date on it?

That might be the answer. I just assumed they would put the new date if they made a mew
paint job, but maybe not.

Reaction score
If the date is part of the mold/sculpt, it's when the mold was first made. Most of the time they don't modify the steel tooling just to have a new date.

Michael_Ritter

Reaction score
The copyright is for the design of the casting, not manufacture of the car. The car was originally designed in 2004 for the mainline of Hot Wheels and was used for the SW TFA series of specially painted vehicles.

Mike