TLJ Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

GNT

Reaction score
Hope episode 7 is a sucess so that we do get an 8th film :)

Reaction score
Sad thing is, I liked AOTC's story (minus the horrible love story) better than TPM.

A very dark turn in E8 would be a welcomed addition to the new series.

Reaction score
^
No way! C3PO is an intolerable unfunny biyotch in AOTC. "DIE JEDI DOGS" gaaah...because brand new battle droids somehow store some kind of memory inside their body and effects what the head thinks apparently.

Oh what a drag.

Pod Race > Battle of Geonosis.

Reaction score
^
yes that is what I mean. Some of the effects in AOTC are so bad that it really seems like they missed a final rendering effects pass in the computers or ILM ran out of time or something.

Last edited:
Reaction score
...there's just so much to dislike in that film. Even with ROTS... those two especially made me start to doubt ILM.

Reaction score
I think the effects will be amazing, I think the story will be good, I think it comes down to who is steering the ship as director that makes the new trilogy a hit or a miss.

Reaction score
The director helps, but it's all those behind the scenes. This time around it isn't going to be Lucas surrounded by yes men. So when they are things that people see that need to be tweaked, then things can get tweaked. There will be at least a couple writers, so CRAPPY dialogue will get noticed early on.

Reaction score
I wonder if they will film like they did in the Lord of the Rings, they filmed all three in a row so they could re use sets ect

Reaction score
I wonder if they will film like they did in the Lord of the Rings, they filmed all three in a row so they could re use sets ect

This would probably make the most sense, but I think the only issue is that with the internet & the timeframe between film releases, they would run the risk of the plots being leaked

LOTR I think there was less at stake b/c he pretty much knew how the books went down

Reaction score
This would probably make the most sense, but I think the only issue is that with the internet & the timeframe between film releases, they would run the risk of the plots being leaked

LOTR I think there was less at stake b/c he pretty much knew how the books went down
Wow good point did not think of that but with the money they could save by filming all three at the same time. Plus the orginal cast is getting old this would ensure continuity with them. They could film multiple endings and key scenes to try to throw people off.

Reaction score
Wasn't sure what to think until I read about his Breaking Bad involvement. o-o He directed Ozmandias?!? o-o o-o Wow, this could be HUGE for Star Wars; a REALLY dark middle chapter to make ESB look like a walk in the park. And maybe some serious dramatic credibility?

I wonder if filming in England instead of LA cooled JJ's engines on the project? I figured he was probably a lock for E8 and maybe also E9.

Reaction score
Interesting, he does have a good work history. I'm curious what he could bring to SW.

Reaction score
Didn't JJ only sign on to do one movie? It's not like he said "I'm going to do ALL the movies!" I don't know why some people seem surprised about this.

Reaction score
Well I hope 8 is better than 7. That was a right load of crap that film, worse than 1! Han and Chewie's death scene was lame and so were the bad guys.

Posted from the future.

Reaction score
I have a question! In the future....what happens to all the EU fans that are in denial about Episode 7 not being about grand admiral thrawn and Mara Jade, stories from the books etc. ? When the movie finally came out...did they simply poof out of existence? Go insane? What happens to the EU fans?!!

Reaction score
Ho ho! It was most amusing when Grand Admiral Mara got her butt kicked by that army of lightsaber-whip-wielding zombie stormtroopers who had been laying in wait at the cantina, disguised as bounty hunters who were supposedly after the surviving elderly members of an X-Wing squadron which was made up of Gamorreans.

Several left the cinema in disgust the 4th time I watched the film on it's opening day.

Even funnier are your own future posts about how the PT is so much better than the ST!:grin:

GNT

Reaction score
Didn't JJ only sign on to do one movie? It's not like he said "I'm going to do ALL the movies!" I don't know why some people seem surprised about this.
Exactly, it was known for some time he was just doing the first movie and that's it. Maybe people missed the memo.

Reaction score
I like this choice. From his work in Breaking Bad alone, I'm on board. I think JJ is the right guy to start the new trilogy, but much like ESB, I think the second movie will need a different tone, and that means a different director. Johnson seems like a good idea.

Reaction score
Well I hope 8 is better than 7. That was a right load of crap that film, worse than 1! Han and Chewie's death scene was lame and so were the bad guys.

Posted from the future.
The nunchuck lightsabers were pretty cool though.

Reaction score
I must confess I did laugh when the Sith spirit of Jar Jar got tangled up in them and broke wind.

Reaction score

Posted from the future.
I was not a fan of Goofbacca, Chewie's wisecracking son who enjoyed juggling and magic tricks. Total racial stereotype of eastern europeans...

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
Rian Johnson Talks Star Wars: Episode VIII with Terry Gilliam

Anyone who has read ComingSoon.net over the years (or follows the filmmaker on Twitter) knows what a cool guy Looper writer/director Rian Johnson is, and his love for the great Terry Gilliam’s sci-fi classic Brazil made him the perfect candidate to talk with Gilliam about his new film The Zero Theorem (out today in select cities).
On The Talkhouse podcast, the two filmmakers had a conversation mostly to talk about The Zero Theorem, but eventually Gilliam turns things around and asks Johnson what he’s working on, which we all know is a little franchise movie, currently dubbed Star Wars Episode VIII.

When Gilliam learns what Johnson is doing, he asks what it feels like to take over something that was made famous by another filmmaker, to which Johnson responds:

“I’m just starting into it, but so far, honestly, it’s the most fun I’ve ever had writing. It’s just joyous. But also for me personally, I grew up not just watching those movies but playing with those toys, so as a little kid, the first movies I was making in my head were set in this world. A big part of it is that direct connection, almost like an automatic jacking back into childhood in a weird way. But I don’t know, ask me again in a few years and we’ll be able to talk about that.”
(To which Terry makes a joke about how Rian would have felt if he saw his first Star Wars movie on an iPad, making a reference to a discussion they have earlier in the podcast.)

“Do you feel a different kind of responsibility because it is Star Wars? Do you feel free?” Gilliam asks Johnson.
“I’m figuring it out as I go,” Johnson told him. “I’m kind of dancing on top of the avalanche a little bit. I’ll have more perspective on it in a while. It’s a balance of remembering what really inspires you about it, but I think you can probably go to the wrong place by feeling too responsible to it. You have to keep your head loose enough to tell a story you care about.”

Gilliam found it interesting for Johnson to take on something like “Star Wars” and try to make it his own.

“It’s a balance,” Johnson explains. “That’s been the great thing. Kathy (Kennedy) and her whole creative team have been just so insistent that all the filmmakers they’re hiring for these new movies, ‘We want you to take it and turn it into something that you really care about.’ We’ll see how the process plays out, but so far, that’s a big part of why I’m in it, because that seems to be their attitude towards it. It’s really exciting.”

Terry Gilliam suggests that if they bring Yoda back, they also bring Frank Oz back and Gilliam tells a story about how he spoke to George Lucas at Cannes about why the puppet Yoda was so much better than the digital one from the prequels.

Reaction score
I thought it was pretty good. Although the plot summary sounds absolutely ridiculous, it's actually a pretty decent story.

Reaction score
Interesting. I have not seen Looper yet. What was anyone's take on that?
I thought it was pretty good. Although the plot summary sounds absolutely ridiculous, it's actually a pretty decent story.
I thought the same. It's definitely an entertaining film with a plot that comes together a bit better in the execution than it sounds on paper. I'm hoping that Johnson can replicate some of the interest I had in Looper in EpVIII...