TFA Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Reaction score
After watching it twice and mulling it over, I hate it. It will not be part of my saga.

1. Undermines the original trilogy. It retells the story, ruining the main characters. Leia still is a leader of a rebel organization, Han goes back to smuggling, Luke becomes a scared hermit. By definition of the darkside, Luke has gone there.... There is no need to see the other movies, you could start here...
2. Same plot, new characters have same story arcs...
3. The 3rd Death Star was a complete waste of time, it was meaningless to the story...and it was just dumb.
4. Not one new exciting ship, or design in that aspect. No progressive ideas. The actually ships de-evolve. Regular ties and concept art xwings.... TIEs have white wings!? That's just reflecting solar power... Just awful from design aspect.
5. Forced monster mash, that whole scene was painful.
6. Aliens and other creatures were not interesting to look at and provided zilch to story. That girl that tipped the first order? Oh my god, where is Garindan when TFA needs him?
7. I felt nothing as I watched this boring story play out.
8. Nothing I had questions about, like how Poe got back to the new rebels, or how Anakins light saber survived, or why we care about Ben, or why we fear Gollum's brother, or a thousand other questions I have matter now. I just don't care...
Preach, brother!

This is my biggest frustration w/ The Force Awakens. It has just as many issues as the Prequels do, yet we condone this film because the filmmakers implicitly condemned the prequels. I don't mean to sound accusatory (if you enjoyed the film, I'm genuinely glad for you ), but it's becoming quite clear the hatred for the prequels stems from the notion they weren't the Original Trilogy repackaged.

Reaction score
In my opinion, it has been more because of a confusing plot, bad dialogue, ill-written sequences and a boring and corny love story, but to each their own.

Reaction score
Preach, brother!

This is my biggest frustration w/ The Force Awakens. It has just as many issues as the Prequels do, yet we condone this film because the filmmakers implicitly condemned the prequels. I don't mean to sound accusatory (if you enjoyed the film, I'm genuinely glad for you ), but it's becoming quite clear the hatred for the prequels stems from the notion they weren't the Original Trilogy repackaged.
I'm not too surprised. I figured another schism among fans was bound to occur. Yes, the prequels had some bad acting and a few other flaws, but the story was great, especially learning how the emperor manipulated everything to his advantage. The prequels were not meant to be just like the originals. Lucas simply made the mistake of "experimenting" too much, and not paying enough attention to the actors themselves. I blame his directing style more than anything else. The Clone Wars cartoon, in my opinion, redeems the prequels to a great extent.

I am not fond of hearing so many fans and critics stating: "finally, a Star Wars movie that actually feels like Star Wars". If that's their opinion, good for them. I grew up with the original trilogy and have always been a big Star Wars fan. I like Episode VII, don't get me wrong. But just because it "feels" like the original trilogy more than the prequels doesn't necessarily make it better than the prequels or the originals. There are still many people who prefer the original trilogy and/or the prequels. I have hope, though, that Episodes VIII and IX will be more original and will not make the same mistakes (or new ones) that were made in any of the previous movies. Keep the good stuff going: better acting, more practical special effects (without avoiding showing us new exotic worlds, which the prequels were not afraid of doing), good humor and action... This whole "lets stay away from making these movies too much like the prequels" is one of the main reasons TFA has so many issues. They wanted to make it so much like the originals, that they basically replicated them, albeit with a few nice twists. I'd like the next couple of episodes and even the Anthology movies to take elements from both trilogies and add new stuff as well. I was glad that there were some references to the prequels, like the balance of the force, the clone armies, and a couple of small things. It would be nice if the final chapters in the trilogy of trilogies tied up nicely the story of the previous two trilogies. Please, no more death stars, and I'd like to see more Jedi, if possible. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's a matter of intelligence and standards. Put it this way...they knew what they were doing when they made this movie. There was something they were trying to do when they made this movie and the box officer numbers shows they did it. They got what they set out to do. It's unfortunate.

kk1

Reaction score
The rathtars were the worst....complete generic SyFy channel stuff....I cringe thinking of that scene

No one else thought of the monster from the trash compactor? That's what they reminded me of, and IIRC Lucas' original design sort of looked like them but the prop dept couldn't pull it off in 1977.

Reaction score
No one else thought of the monster from the trash compactor? That's what they reminded me of, and IIRC Lucas' original design sort of looked like them but the prop dept couldn't pull it off in 1977.
I do see the resemblance, but I had to google it after seeing your post :) maybe they too are related, as so many other things :p

Reaction score
Just enjoyed a 3rd viewing of TFA, classic Star Wars! The new characters are fantastic love Rey, Finn, Poe & Kylo...time to order the Hot Toys figures!

Reaction score
Saw it for the third time today as well. I cannot get over how this movie makes me feel. Seeing Han die still chokes me up, having Luke's saber fly into Rey's hand send chills down my back. This movie is amazing.

One thing I noticed for the first time today is seeing Luke during the final scene. Look closely at his eyes, it looks as if he is starting to tear up.

This movie gives me hope for the future of the franchise. Hope for good (and bad) things to come!! Not knowing where they are going with this story makes me giddy!!

kk1

Reaction score
Saw it for the third time today as well. I cannot get over how this movie makes me feel. Seeing Han die still chokes me up, having Luke's saber fly into Rey's hand send chills down my back. This movie is amazing.

One thing I noticed for the first time today is seeing Luke during the final scene. Look closely at his eyes, it looks as if he is starting to tear up.

This movie gives me hope for the future of the franchise. Hope for good (and bad) things to come!! Not knowing where they are going with this story makes me giddy!!
For some reason those feelings for me didn't hit until I saw it a second time, and the next movie is going to be the make or break film since they can't play it safe again and do another remake. Reports are out Abrams read the script and thinks its so good he regrets turning down directing it and Kasdan claims its going to be weird Star Wars 8 is going to be I guess we'll see.

Reaction score
^ Thank the Maker! :)

I would love to see NO force ghosts in the sequels. I really loved how they used Rey's force vision for the mystical element instead.
I feel the opposite way. I would like to see Force ghosts. They had a purpose which we didn't fully get to realize before. It would tie in very well with the previous trilogies.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I feel the opposite way. I would like to see Force ghosts. They had a purpose which we didn't fully get to realize before. It would tie in very well with the previous trilogies.

Personally, I was done with Force ghosts once Sebastian Shaw was removed for Hayden Christensen in ROTJ.

Reaction score
Honestly I found it to be underwhelming and I'm disappointed but still mostly better than the PT....

ESB
ANH
ROTJ
ROTS
TFA
TPM
AOTC
None of the movies is perfect, and all have a lot of flaws. That said, there are two ways that I would rank them: based on how good the movie is (the dialogue, story, special effects, etc.) vs how much fun the movie is to watch. I think TESB and ANH are really well made movies. Even TPM was good, just not as much fun compared to the others, in my opinion. Jar Jar is only mildly annoying to me, mostly in the beginning of the movie. I would say, in this sense, I would rank them as follows:

TESB,
ANH,
ROTS,
ROTJ,
TFA,
TPM,
AOTC,
more or less.

But, in terms of how much fun each movie is to watch, I would rank them like this (again, not set in stone):
ROTS,
TFA,
AOTC,
ROTJ,
ANH,
TESB,
TPM.

Everytime I watch the movies I change my mind about something, so these are my rankings at this moment. They may very well change eventually.

Overall, I think the prequels have the better story (mystery, someone pulling the strings everywhere, plus all the jedi, corruption in the senate, the sith, etc.). The Original trilogy and Episode VII are simpler in their story, but have better dialogue, acting, humor, etc. In my opinion, they complement each other well.

Reaction score
Here's an article about some deleted scenes cut from the movie. First time I've seen Constable Zuvio!

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awkens-deleted-scenes/
Thanks very much for that!

JJ says in another interview that he's not a fan of director's cuts, so we'll probably get these as deleted scenes rather than inserted into the movie. Too bad, I'd like to see that full two hour and forty minute cut.

After reading the deleted Leia & Korr Sella scene, I can see why it was cut. The political angle had a very prequel feel to it. :\ And reading the political background in the Visual Dictionary, I can also see why this wasn't included in the opening crawl. There's four or five paragraphs that also have a very prequel feel. But perhaps it would have been good if they included just a sentence or two to describe the relationship between the New Republic, First Order, and Resistance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm over 90% through the ebook and yeah, it seems like Alan Dean Foster might have seen a cut somewhere between what we saw and something that contained a lot we did not in the second half. The first half of the book is almost verbatim the final cut then things get different with much of the deleted scenes left intact. So far though nothing to totally validate any theory on who Rey (or Finn or Snoke) might be (if the latter 2 even have any "secret" to their past that is). The snow speeder scene could have been interesting except you'd probably wonder why our two heroes weren't dead of hypothermia by the end of it.

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could answer this for me...

Someone in the The Force Awakens 3.75" Film thread is claiming to have streamed The Force Awakens since December 8th LEGALLY from their home.

Is there ANY truth to this?
The only thing I can think of is the $30k 1st run film streaming subscriptions that the major theater chains approve of.

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could answer this for me...

Someone in the The Force Awakens 3.75" Film thread is claiming to have streamed The Force Awakens since December 8th LEGALLY from their home.

Is there ANY truth to this?
The only thing I can think of is the $30k 1st run film streaming subscriptions that the major theater chains approve of.
Someone said the same thing about being able to watch Spectre legally from the comfort of their home somewhere on this site too. Been looking into that, and I haven't found anything.

I'd love to be able to watch TFA at home right now.

Reaction score
I just got art of force awakens and it looks like a ton to go through. TIEs were gonna have triangle wings for example.

Reaction score
Hanging out in a room with shelves full of TVC
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Released Script and Novelization Offer New Details on the Ending and More - IGN

interesting....I do remember during her fight with Kylo Ren, hes on the ground and she's is kind of stalking past him in slow motion, it seems this shot was intended to convey a sense of aggression and rage...but I wasn't sure if I was reading the scene correctly.
I think your correct, multiple sources have said in TFA's novelization that when Ren is put to the ground the final time Rey hears the dark side drawing her to him to finish him, kill him, take revenge or something similar but then the chasm opens and she cant.

Reaction score
I'm sure it's intentional. Like everything in the movie, it cribs clumsily from the ideas of the first film; Star Wars had a military historian in John Mollo who made the Imperial uniforms fairly Nazi-esque, while still maintaining some originality. The new film just went to 11 on that.

Reaction score
If anything, that picture proves how alike these two helmets aren't.
I'm not saying the helmets are identical, I just wrote (between the lines) that it makes me think of the predator bio helmet and wondered if I was the only one with that imagination :)

Reaction score
Speaking of Predator...
Anyone get an "Alien" (1979) vibe from the Eravana set(s)?
Now that you mention it :D put Kylo aboard that ship and have some orange rotor lights (dunno what they are called, they rotate and light, usually on police cars, ambulances etc.)

Reaction score
Saw the movie this afternoon. Loved it. I really like Poe Dameron. Very cool character. So, Fin and Solo(know it was going to happen) are KIA. Loved the dog fight scene.