TROS Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Reaction score
I get Disney+ for free and now Ep.9 is on so I caved and watched it.
I'm not gonna bash yet another bad Disney trilogy movie like I have been for 5 years.
But I will say one thing is for sure: This was definitely JJ giving an F U to Rian Johnson and TLJ
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
My postmortem on the entire ST (not that anyone cares) now that I've had a few months to digest Episode 9:

It's the new Expanded Universe. I really had hope after TFA. I got really nauseous after TLJ. I really like TROS but for all the wrong reasons (not because it was a good Star Wars; but because it did the best job it could to erase a worse Star Wars movie).

Fun stories set in the Star Wars stratosphere but not in any conceivable way a continuation of the proper Saga canonically ended in ROTJ.
That's how I viewed it from the jump and that's probably why I'm pretty forgiving all things considered. There's just no way I can legitimately feel that anything beyond what the initial creator's input was is essential. The only time I ever felt burned was with 9 and that was because I got invested in these characters after 8 only to realize that by 9 I probably cared about them more than the writer's did.

Reaction score
That's how I viewed it from the jump and that's probably why I'm pretty forgiving all things considered. There's just no way I can legitimately feel that anything beyond what the initial creator's input was is essential. The only time I ever felt burned was with 9 and that was because I got invested in these characters after 8 only to realize that by 9 I probably cared about them more than the writer's did.
Invested in the characters after 8? So after Kylo Ren ended up in the same exact place at the end of 8 as he was in the beginning of 8, Rey learning absolutely nothing and Finn bumping his head on a door and stumbling around in a diaper with a leaking colostomy bag is when you felt invested in these characters?

Interesting.

Reaction score
So apparently Dengar was in TROS and this is him:

I don't know what the original EU had for Dengar after ESB but it had to be better than this.

Reaction score
Dengar like every other bounty hunter died in every other EU story. Several times. One thing Disney did right was that there was no way to include everything from the EU.

Reaction score
So apparently Dengar was in TROS and this is him:

I don't know what the original EU had for Dengar after ESB but it had to be better than this.
Where is it stated that Rothgar Deng is Dengar Roth? I mean, except for the name, but after the ST copied so much stuff from the OT, I don't except much more inventiveness from the books...

The EU Dengar saved Boba Fett after his escape from the Sarlacc, went on to bounty hunt, and somewhat later settled down. AFAIK he was never killed in the old EU; other than poor IG-88 who lost his life and his life and his life and... well, droids y'know.

Reaction score
If I recall correct, old EU Dengar was in like some swoop bike crash against Han Solo, grew a major vendetta, and went through an experiment to surgically remove the portions of the brain that evoke sympathy/compassion. Hence the bandaged head. I'm just going by memory here, not really digging on Wookieepedia...but that was the oooooold background from Tales of the Bounty Hunters. I'm not sure if Clone Wars, as I know he appeared on there and very differently, wrote this version out of canon. He was much less cold and punishing and far more sort of sly, witty, and even kind of comedic on Clones Wars. But if going by the Tales book, it's not really that much of a stretch to think if he's still alive by the time of TROS, perhaps he would have augmented himself more.

Reaction score
apparently it's in the visual dictionary. :rolleyes:
The picture above is from the visual dictionary, and the only hint is that the name is a garbled version of his own (which is so totally a great way to create an alias, we would never have guessed...) and the line about the alias. The breast plate / robot chest is somewhat reminiscent, but the rest is pretty much unrecognizeable. I would not have seen the old Dengar in this guy if not for the clumsy easter egg.

Anyway, I don't consider the ST canon, and I never really liked Dengar so goodbye bandage guy, was only marginally nice to know you.

Reaction score
If I recall correct, old EU Dengar was in like some swoop bike crash against Han Solo, grew a major vendetta, and went through an experiment to surgically remove the portions of the brain that evoke sympathy/compassion. Hence the bandaged head. I'm just going by memory here, not really digging on Wookieepedia...but that was the oooooold background from Tales of the Bounty Hunters. I'm not sure if Clone Wars, as I know he appeared on there and very differently, wrote this version out of canon. He was much less cold and punishing and far more sort of sly, witty, and even kind of comedic on Clones Wars. But if going by the Tales book, it's not really that much of a stretch to think if he's still alive by the time of TROS, perhaps he would have augmented himself more.
Yup. After RotJ, he got to nurse Boba Fett back to health, and his emotions were restored so he could get married (yes he did), and I believe the Solo thing was not mentioned in his later chronology so there was never a proper payoff for this setup (at least I can't remember... was there a shootout Solo/Dengar in some comic, yes I think there was, darn my brain).

The Clone Wars stint does not really contradict his EU history, as his character was much younger then and any race against Han must have happened later. But Clone Wars on the other hand also never took EU events into account (Mandalorians! Argh!) so these specific episodes were probably written without Dengar's "history" in mind, if the author even knew about that. As Disney killed all of that, it doesn't matter...

Here's the irony: One thing that annoyed me in the EU was that extra characters without special connection always got retconned to have a history with the heroes, or the rebellion, or the empire, or were connected in some other (often convoluted) way, and crossed paths with each other and the main heroes more often than was justified. In the movies, these bounty hunters were random guys - we don't even know whether they were the cream of the crop handpicked by Vader, or just the ones who were stupid enough to answer to an Imperial bounty. There might be tens of thousands of bountry hunters in the galaxy. Yet, the EU made them all involved with the main characters in some way - Dengar got his Solo vendetta, Zuckuss and 4-LOM joined the rebellion, IG-88 was meandering through the EU in 4 incarnations and became the brain of the DS II at some point (ugh). "The Yavin Vassilika" involved most of them with Han Solo before TESB, etc. What are the chances! Then the Clone Wars revived them for Lucasfilm, this time officially, and showed Dengar and Bossk in the past. Now Disney - after erasing the EU - does the same and squeezes cameos into their ST (and in other places, see Evazan & Ponda Baba on Jedha). Sheesh, its a small galaxy after all!

(Yes sure I know why they are doing it but still come on... don't get me started with the ANH Cantina patrons in the EU...)

Reaction score
mYeah I was never super big on that either, it really makes an entire galaxy feel like a small neighborhood. The prequels are def. guilty of it too. I remember at one point I was sincerely waiting for Lucas to reveal Lando was Mace's kid. Hah! I can perhaps buy MAYBE one or two who answered the Empire's call had either a run in with Han at some point potentially or have at least heard of him, hence why they answered, but every hunter has SOME connection to the LARGER universe? Yeah it's hard to believe. Like here's one, so Beckett from Solo killed Aurra Sing. Alright, fine, whatever but...it just seems so small of a universe when they name drop so often like that. I want to say Bossk was connected to Chewie too, at least indirectly with his species scalping and hunting wookiees. I agree, the ABSOLUTE goofiest one was by far IG-88 getting uploaded into and in essence BECOMING a sentient Death STAR II. Whaaaaa?! But some of the stories were enjoyable, I thought. I liked some of the cantina tales just because it made a bit more sense. Those patrons were likely regulars, they were there when our heroes were, and a lot of those stories just involved one obscure alien and another one rather than directly interacting with Luke and such. They more so just witnessed Luke and company going on some adventure rather than now going with Muftak, Hammerhead, or a giant Mantis on an adventure. Hah. Like didn't one story make the cantina wolfman and his lamprey girlfriend FIGHT in the Battle of Hoth for the rebellion? When they go THAT far, it's too far.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I liked some of the cantina tales just because it made a bit more sense. Those patrons were likely regulars, they were there when our heroes were, and a lot of those stories just involved one obscure alien and another one rather than directly interacting with Luke and such. They more so just witnessed Luke and company going on some adventure rather than now going with Muftak, Hammerhead, or a giant Mantis on an adventure. Hah. Like didn't one story make the cantina wolfman and his lamprey girlfriend FIGHT in the Battle of Hoth for the rebellion? When they go THAT far, it's too far.
It's been a long time since I read that specific book, but I remember that quite a few cantina patrons were involved with the Rebellion directly or indirectly. I actually would have wished for more completely independent scenarios. If I'm not mistaken, the Tales from Jabba's Palace delivered that more than the two other volumes.

Oh, I remember the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy where we had the same issues. The Bounty Hunter's guild looked as it it had only two dozen members, as often as already-used characters were shoehorned in. Irritatingly, The Mandalorian creates the same image (even without namedropping), with all these bounty hunters meeting on a remote, desolate planet in one worn-down cantina, and the boss handing out contract pucks personally. That's supposed to be the mighty Bounty Hunters' Guild? ...I tend to imagine that there are many such guilds all over the galaxy, but that image sort of contradicts Boba Fett's alleged fame as most dangerous bounty hunter ever. There should be more badasses out there like him...?

Ah well, I guess if they wouldn't return to the same places, mention the same characters, and refer the same events over and over, the audience would not have the "Yeah I know about that!" experience that knits the universe so closely together. I suppose repetition is a small price to pay for that.

Reaction score
Oh Gosh, it's been easily over a decade for me since I read the Tales books, probably longer. I can't recall much other than vague details as, well, most these roles aren't really crucial to the universe (albeit some fun)...but my favorite of them was also Tales from Jabba's Palace. I had some really fun anthology stories. The ones I particularly recall were Bib Fortuna and his particularly gruesome and haunting end and ReeYees and how he's basically viewed as just this stupid drunk. Also I always found it slightly comedic that almost literally everyone these is trying to kill Jabba and take over.

Reaction score
One thing that annoyed me in the EU was that extra characters without special connection always got retconned to have a history with the heroes, or the rebellion, or the empire, or were connected in some other (often convoluted) way, and crossed paths with each other and the main heroes more often than was justified.
One of the things I absolutely HATE about Star Wars.

In the movies, these bounty hunters were random guys
In my head canon, this is still the way it is. None of the bounty hunters know Han Solo. They don't give a crap about the rebellion or the Empire. Boba and the rest of them never appeared in the story until that moment in 'The Empire Strikes Back' as far as I'm concerned. Sod the prequels. Sod The Clone Wars. They were just guys, who don't know each other, doing a job and were willing to take the Empire's shilling. Because Bounty Hunting is a profession for scumbags.

That works SO MUCH BETTER than any of the other rubbish that's been tacked on, in the most awful, awful, way by Lucas, Disney, et al.

Having everyone know each other in Star Wars ruins the story. It doesn't enhance it.

One thing I'm glad that Disney has done when they took over Star Wars, was kill the EU. The problem is though, is that they're replacing it with their own equally bad rubbish.

Reaction score
It has not been confirmed but has been circulating around the past day or so. I think it is just so stupid.

Reaction score
See I can buy SOME things. Lando and Chewie in Solo adds up (albeit rushed IMO), Tarkin being in Rogue One is entirely logical as he should be there, Jabba at a big seemingly global event like the Boonta Eve makes some sense considering it is Tatooine and he's a major figurehead there (my issue not being Jabba there, but more it being far fetched that Anakin lived on Tatooine), but others were just too far fetched for me. I could even buy Wickets quick cameo because it's more montage, not him suddenly showing up to give everyone a high five and teach Jannah how to use a bow. Who knew Yub Nub means "Hey guys, remember me too?" Hah! Corny, but at least not REALLY directly connected to anyone. I could bear it...see what I did there? At the end of the day, I can buy some bounty hunters having heard of or even met Solo before Empire. It's not a great idea to highly connect them, but it's not altogether that absurd considering Han's level of bounty and reputation. But I do think it's a better idea to make most of them, if not all of them, really answering the Empires bounty because simply they saw a potential boatload of credits to make more than them ever having some past vendetta against Han. But at their core, bounty hunters usually don't really have an allegiance, they're going to simply go with who pays most. But I DO think there's way worse and unbelievable than, say, Boba having crossed paths with Han as some point before Empire. What I can't buy are things like Anakin building C-3PO (doesn't make any sense), Obi-Wan having met little Boba Fett (utterly far-fetched), or Yoda and Chewie being old war buddies (perhaps you could write Chewie having been AT the battle of Kashyyyk, that's fair enough, but having MET and directly worked with Yoda at the battle? Come on...). That's just all out outrageous to me. I mean there's even that little Greedo vs. little Anakin cut scene because....Tatooine? Because he's evil? Huh? Anyone else remember that?! Was filmed and all! Did Greedo run a little toddler gang with Garindan, Evazan, and Ponda? Darth Vader was bullied...by Greedo...as a kid? Um...Then you cut to the sequels, I'm fine with Han and Leia having a kid. I assumed they would. But, say, how Rey is a Palpatine, how Lando is introduced (...why not just make it make more sense and just have had him in the Rebellion still from Force Awakens...would be way more organic than him just rando showing up to our new characters), and how Jannah is so very clearly Lando's long lost daughter without them outright saying it. So heavily implied. I was waiting for Poe's real name to be revealed to be Poe Antilles. I legitimately thought it was going to happen. Sometimes nostalgia callbacks just go way too far they reach levels of absurdity.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Then you cut to the sequels, I'm fine with Han and Leia having a kid. I assumed they would. But, say, how Rey is a Palpatine, how Lando is introduced (...why not just make it make more sense and just have had him in the Rebellion still from Force Awakens...would be way more organic than him just rando showing up to our new characters), and how Jannah is so very clearly Lando's long lost daughter without them outright saying it. So heavily implied. I was waiting for Poe's real name to be revealed to be Poe Antilles. I legitimately thought it was going to happen. Sometimes nostalgia callbacks just go way too far they reach levels of absurdity.
Coincidences, not only with characters but with the whole plot, are poisoning the ST.

Oh, Jakku, the nexus of all improbabilities... let's see, Poe goes there to see Lor San Tekka who happens to be on Jakku. Fine, he has to be somewhere. This somewhere happens to be the very planet where Rey's parents chose to hide her... for no special reason, as there is no connection between Lor and Rey at all. Kylo being there makes sense again, as he's hunting for Lor, and Finn... well, I can sort of accept the coincidence that one of the few rebellious stormtroopers is with the FO at that time, okay.

But next BB-8* flees through the desert and just happens to arrive at Rey's place. Did BB-8 have a specific target in mind? Or are all the settlements on Jakku just that close together? (This is a planet. Lor may be at San Diego, and Rey at Cape Town.) Then Finn and Poe make their escape from the Star Destroyer (which was probably in motion in orbit), zoom halfway around the planet, are shot down and crash, and still arrive close enough to Niima Outpost that both Finn and Poe (offscreen) make it through the burning desert alive (without a map, without guide, without vehicle, without even a compass). Sure, perhaps Poe was tracking BB-8 somehow, or he was just aiming at roughly the same spot he was meeting Lor at, but... this crash landing might have thrown them off the target by hundreds of kilometers. Duh, doesn't happen, they still all meet at Niima with no issues.

And of course the Millennium Falcon is at Niima. Now here I'm losing it... why? Why is that ship that has been stolen and stolen again and has no connection to Rey or Lor San Tekka (granted, Lor probably knew the ship but he has no current relationship to it at all) standing around at Niima? The Falcon literally could be anywhere in the galaxy. IMO this is the stupidest happenstance in the whole ST.

Not done yet, when the heroes escape Jakku, they meet with Han Solo. Solo is not here for Lor San Tekka. Solo is not here for Rey. Solo is not here to find the Falcon, which might have made the most sense, but he isn't. Solo is here to deliver Rathtars to some guy somewhere else. As I understand it, Jakku's not even his final destination. And he manages to not pass Jakku in hyperspace but he's in normal space at the very second when the Falcon takes off. (I give him some leeway in that he may, at the least, not be directly at the planet but picking up some short-range signal from the Falcon, but I will not forget that he should not even be over Jakku at all.)

I'm not going to complain about the Guavian Death Gang and the Kanjiklub, who probably banded together and followed Solo, so that meetup is somewhat likely. But in sum: we have four random unexplained presences at the same time and the same place (Rey, Lor, Falcon, Solo) and two more or less unaimed journeys that somehow still end up at Niima (BB-8, Finn) when they might have taken the heroes literally anywhere on the planet.

I'd allow for one or (teeth grinding) two coincidences because movie, but when the whole initial setup of that movie relies on "it's all as the Force wills it", then they lost me there and then.

*btw does any native speaker hate it when the Marvel comics and other sources write "Beebee-Ate"? Like in, BB just ate? BB had a good meal? BB went out to McDonald's? It throws me off every time... but maybe that's because English is only 2nd language for me...

Reaction score
*btw does any native speaker hate it when the Marvel comics and other sources write "Beebee-Ate"? Like in, BB just ate? BB had a good meal? BB went out to McDonald's? It throws me off every time... but maybe that's because English is only 2nd language for me...
Not a native speaker of English, but if so, then... See Three Pee Oh - get's sort of pervy :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
At the end of the day, I can buy some bounty hunters having heard of or even met Solo before Empire. It's not a great idea to highly connect them, but it's not altogether that absurd considering Han's level of bounty and reputation. But I do think it's a better idea to make most of them, if not all of them, really answering the Empires bounty because simply they saw a potential boatload of credits to make more than them ever having some past vendetta against Han. But at their core, bounty hunters usually don't really have an allegiance, they're going to simply go with who pays most. But I DO think there's way worse and unbelievable than, say, Boba having crossed paths with Han as some point before Empire.
Well, sure, it's not a huge issue that Fett would know of Solo in passing. It's possible that Fett had done work for Jabba before he was hired to double job with the Empire. But, what I dislike is that there has now been this "know him so well" type of narrative built up between him and Solo. It just doesn't really make that much sense.

I have waaaay bigger issues with Fett and his inclusion in the prequels. That was just deep levels of unnecessary stupid going on there.

As you say there are worse instances of "everyone knowing each other" going on in Star Wars.

Reaction score
Not a native speaker of English, but if so, then... See Three Pee Oh - get's sort of pervy :ROFLMAO:
But I've never seen 3PO being written in this way, it's always Threepio (probably for that very reason). Beebee-Ate is literally written like this. Ah, it's probably a serious case of overthinking...

Reaction score
boba fett showed up as a jabba-henchman @ 'docking bay 94' in ANH (post-special-edition) -- this sort of establishes that boba works for j abba; han also works for jabba; therefore boba and han share the same water-cooler.... so to speak.
(ie: they both work for the same guy. like 2 employees who both work at the same best-buy location. they're bound to share a lunch break, at some point).
it's easy to imagine maybe jabba sending them both out on the same job/heist/whatever.. I'm sure jabba's various employees, are at least 'familiar' with each other, if only on a superficial level.. maybe han and boba have actually 'worked together' in the past; maybe they just see each other around the office (so to speak).

either way, I never had a problem with this ongoing/implied connection between han and fett. the idea that they might have a history together, really doesn't shrink the universe, like anakin building 3-PO, or Yoda fighting alongside Chewie... some of these "connections" are more egregious than others. han v. boba? not so much.

Reaction score
Yep. Han and Boba knowing each other makes sense.

Jabba tells Solo he was the best smuggler; Fett is shown to be a capable bounty hunter under Jabba's employment (it was the EU that made him out to be the best of the best). It would be out of character on Fett's part (at least) to not know the significant players in the entourage.

Reaction score
Yeh, I don't watch that "version". So it's been memory holed, along with that awful CGI Jabba. 😁
The CGI Jabba in ANH was very well done considering it was based on original footage from 1977.
If Han hadn't walked around the human Jabba in 1977, then the CGI Jabba would have been flawless.
Well done George Lucas.

Reaction score
The CGI Jabba in ANH was very well done considering it was based on original footage from 1977.
If Han hadn't walked around the human Jabba in 1977, then the CGI Jabba would have been flawless.
Well done George Lucas.
Interesting take. To each their own, but l can't say l have EVER seen something positive about the CG Jabba. I think he looks atrocious. The DVD release was better with the updated CGI, BUT l wasn't blown away either. I think Han walking on his tail makes like no sense. Jabba would not allow someone to...LITERALLY...walk all over him in front of his goons like that. It seems so out of character for Jabba to just let that slide. I agree, they just should have done a jump cut to some goons or Chewie listening to the convo and then jump back. Plus really, the scene isn't even necessary. They're just recycling stuff we already know. By and large, no two ways about it, ROTJ puppet Jabba is the best version...ironically the oldest and most immobile...and yet feels and looks ten time more real than any of the CG variations. Puppet Jabba is one of the greatest effects done in all of the films and possibly the most impressive puppet ever made.

Reaction score
Interesting take. To each their own, but l can't say l have EVER seen something positive about the CG Jabba. I think he looks atrocious. The DVD release was better with the updated CGI, BUT l wasn't blown away either. I think Han walking on his tail makes like no sense. Jabba would not allow someone to...LITERALLY...walk all over him in front of his goons like that. It seems so out of character for Jabba to just let that slide. I agree, they just should have done a jump cut to some goons or Chewie listening to the convo and then jump back. Plus really, the scene isn't even necessary. They're just recycling stuff we already know. By and large, no two ways about it, ROTJ puppet Jabba is the best version...ironically the oldest and most immobile...and yet feels and looks ten time more real than any of the CG variations. Puppet Jabba is one of the greatest effects done in all of the films and possibly the most impressive puppet ever made.
I mostly agree.
I wish Han hadn't walked around the human Jabba thus stepping on the CGI Jabba either. I stated as much.
Also I agree it's redundant information, which is why it wasn't included in the original release but it was cool to see 20 years later.
And yes the puppet Jabba is superior.

However, I'm looking at it in context of using footage from 1977 and making it look like new footage.
Bottom line is, I enjoyed it.

Reaction score
I mostly agree.
I wish Han hadn't walked around the human Jabba thus stepping on the CGI Jabba either. I stated as much.
Also I agree it's redundant information, which is why it wasn't included in the original release but it was cool to see 20 years later.
And yes the puppet Jabba is superior.

However, I'm looking at it in context of using footage from 1977 and making it look like new footage.
Bottom line is, I enjoyed it.
No I mean, it's def. not terrible as far as a scene goes IMO. There's far worse in the SE. It's kind of fun to see, admitted, but yeah it's not really NECESSARY.

Reaction score
I think it sort of ruins the pace of the film, to be honest. before this scene was added, there was a sense of urgency as Our Heroes were in a rush to get out of dodge. Han says it out loud -- "we're a little rushed so if you'll just get on board, we'll get out of here" -- he has just killed one of Jabba's henchmen in the cantina after all, this has him clearly nervous and agitated, as though he's afraid of the repercussions of killing Greedo (and or, after Greedo comes after him, he knows every bounty hunter in Mos Eisley has a 'puck' with his name on it and he's trying to 'run away' ASAP). when Luke & co. show up, Han seems like he's expecting a bunch of bounty hunters to come bursting into the docking bay at any second... he's trying to rush everyone on board so he can leave... and he's surprised when it turns out to be imperial troops, instead of Jabba's goons. there's a sense of urgency to the whole sequence, starting in the cantina when he kills Greedo, because now he knows, the Mob is out to get him. this time Greedo says it out loud -- "I'm lucky I found you FIRST" -- which means there must be MORE guys-like-Greedo, who are also coming after Han -- from this line of dialog, we can imagine every bounty hunter in town is after Han at this point, and he REALLY needs to get out of town ASAP. BUT after the extra scene was added with CGI Jabba, then there's actually no reason for Han to run away from Jabba's Goons any more. he's just made arrangements with his creditor, to pay back his debt with interest -- that's usually the point where the 'collection agency' starts to leave you alone and stop harassing you LOL. so who is he running from..? why is he "a little rushed" when Luke shows up..? there's no urgency to his actions any more, and no reason for him to be running away, from Jabba (or anyone else for that matter). it was a better film, when the audience thought Jabba was STILL out to get him, when we thought Han had a REASON to be "a little rushed".

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think it sort of ruins the pace of the film, to be honest. before this scene was added, there was a sense of urgency as Our Heroes were in a rush to get out of dodge. Han says it out loud -- "we're a little rushed so if you'll just get on board, we'll get out of here" -- he has just killed one of Jabba's henchmen in the cantina after all, this has him clearly nervous and agitated, as though he's afraid of the repercussions of killing Greedo (and or, after Greedo comes after him, he knows every bounty hunter in Mos Eisley has a 'puck' with his name on it and he's trying to 'run away' ASAP). when Luke & co. show up, Han seems like he's expecting a bunch of bounty hunters to come bursting into the docking bay at any second... he's trying to rush everyone on board so he can leave... and he's surprised when it turns out to be imperial troops, instead of Jabba's goons. there's a sense of urgency to the whole sequence, starting in the cantina when he kills Greedo, because now he knows, the Mob is out to get him. this time Greedo says it out loud -- "I'm lucky I found you FIRST" -- which means there must be MORE guys-like-Greedo, who are also coming after Han -- from this line of dialog, we can imagine every bounty hunter in town is after Han at this point, and he REALLY needs to get out of town ASAP. BUT after the extra scene was added with CGI Jabba, then there's actually no reason for Han to run away from Jabba's Goons any more. he's just made arrangements with his creditor, to pay back his debt with interest -- that's usually the point where the 'collection agency' starts to leave you alone and stop harassing you LOL. so who is he running from..? why is he "a little rushed" when Luke shows up..? there's no urgency to his actions any more, and no reason for him to be running away, from Jabba (or anyone else for that matter). it was a better film, when the audience thought Jabba was STILL out to get him, when we thought Han had a REASON to be "a little rushed".
Han still needed to get the money and Ben and Luke were offering it. They were the ones that were rushed because Stormtroopers were after them. And since Han needed Ben alive to collect his money, Han realized Stormtroopers were after him now too. The urgency is still there just from a different threat.

Reaction score
Agreed. The Han/Jabba scene in the molested version of 'Star Wars' is just unnecessary and terribly done. It was woeful looking in the 90's and not much better on DVD. And there's just zero need to have him there in any case, as you say Solo just repeats much of the dialogue he's already said to Greedo.

It's dreadful nonsense.

Thank god for Harmy.

Reaction score
Agreed. The Han/Jabba scene in the molested version of 'Star Wars' is just unnecessary and terribly done. It was woeful looking in the 90's and not much better on DVD. And there's just zero need to have him there in any case, as you say Solo just repeats much of the dialogue he's already said to Greedo.

It's dreadful nonsense.

Thank god for Harmy.
Then go watch your original versions on VHS and be quiet.
The scene was really well done and was cool to see new footage after 20 years.
The Special Editions are awesome updates.

Reaction score

It's dreadful nonsense.

Thank god for Harmy.
I mean I don't wanna sound like a jerk here, but I can sincerely say I've never seen a positive comment on that Jabba's CGI. That was a first for me. I thought it universally considered bad. But I def. respect your opinion, BoneFett. I've just honestly never seen that take before.

I mean it's kind of fun seeing the scene, but it's far from necessary. The way I think they should have done it...and this is a deep cut so not sure many will get this. Peter Jackson re-did the lost Bug pit scene for the original King Kong. I don't mean HIS version, I mean THE original Kong. It was done more just for the novelty of it and it's great. But it's NOT part of the movie itself. It's just a fun bonus you can watch after the movie if you're a big fan. I think that's what the Jabba scene should have been. Don't include it in the actual cut of the movie, but it's fun and interesting enough that sure....do it....but have it be a bonus feature on the side for die-hard fans sharts and giggles.

Reaction score
I mean I don't wanna sound like a jerk here, but I can sincerely say I've never seen a positive comment on that Jabba's CGI. That was a first for me. I thought it universally considered bad. But I def. respect your opinion, BoneFett. I've just honestly never seen that take before.
Only a Sith deals in absolutes! ;)

Thank you for that. I understand your opinion and respect it as well.
At the end of the day, it's an added scene that was fun to see 20 years later. It wasn't part of the original cut, so Lucas only added it as an extra scene in a Special Edition of the movie to complete his vision of his movie.

It's dreadful nonsense.
If you don't like it fine but don't belittle the people that do. (and there are alot of us)

Reaction score
You're not being a Jerk Max. It's bloody awful in every incarnation it's been in. But the below, in particular, had me laughing when I first saw it...for all the wrong reasons.

I mean it's kind of fun seeing the scene, but it's far from necessary. The way I think they should have done it...and this is a deep cut so not sure many will get this. Peter Jackson re-did the lost Bug pit scene for the original King Kong. I don't mean HIS version, I mean THE original Kong. It was done more just for the novelty of it and it's great. But it's NOT part of the movie itself. It's just a fun bonus you can watch after the movie if you're a big fan. I think that's what the Jabba scene should have been. Don't include it in the actual cut of the movie, but it's fun and interesting enough that sure....do it....but have it be a bonus feature on the side for die-hard fans sharts and giggles.
Every single addition in the specials was unnecessary. None of it was needed really. Some are more cringe worthy than others, of course...I'm looking at you Greedo and that piss poor song in 'Return of the Jedi'...shudder.

They're fun to look at in a WTF were they thinking way, but the special editions should have just stayed that..."special editions", with the original films being left as the standard. Lucas was petty in the extreme to keep the actual movies away from the public.

Reaction score
WELL what to me is perhaps even stranger? The fact that now we have what? Special special special editions? Every new release adds something. I mean who said, know what I need from SW? Blinking Ewoks! Apparently George. I actually think the changes got increasingly worse. I will never....ever....ever forgive Hayden Anakin Jedi Spirit or the "NOOOOOOOO!" Vader killing Palpatine. To me, they don't even exist. It's like Geroge is almost trolling. **** we got the MACLUNKEY cut now! Why? WHY? Who thought that was NECESSARY? I feel like this:

George just STOP!

Last edited:
Reaction score
^
Honestly, think only thing I want from Disney (or anyone else) re: the OT, is to just release them on Blu Ray. I don't know why this hasn't happened already. They'd sell like hotcakes.

"MacClunkey" LOL. What the hell was the point in that.

Reaction score
If you feel "belittled", that's your own problem. I'm merely talking about a scene in a movie.
I didn't say I feel belittled. Nothing an insignificant person like yourself says will affect my self esteem.
I'm merely addressing your attempt to do so and in the process sound like a ******.