TROS Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - December 19, 2019

Reaction score
Antagonistic responses are not required
I thought it was pretty clear that I was referring to Rian Johnson. In fact, I make it a point to have as little to do with that other guy as is humanly possible. It's just not worth my time to interact with him and get into a bunch of nonsense. So, there was no possible way I could have been referring to him. What I was referring to was that YouTube video where they show an interview of Rian Johnson saying exactly what I mentioned about ESB not be well received at the time of it's release. That's pretty much all I will say about it at this point.
How mature.

Reaction score
people are saying, it's a huttese word, and the translation is something like "...this will be the end of you!" (or something like that).

the funny thing is, when you watch with the "closed captions" turned on, the huttese words are translated on screen -- Greedo speaks huttese and the closed captions translate this as '..I'm lucky I found you first' (or whatever)...

but when he says "Maclunkey!" , the closed captions say nothing.

so it actually IS, what it is. :p ROFL! (utter and complete nonsense)
I mean basically, if the actual closed caption says "say nothing," man I wish Lucas would have listen to fates on that one because yeah, Greedo should have said...nothing.

Even after he sold to Disney, he's still tinkering with the OT. I'm convinced it'll never stop. Every consecutive release will get some alteration. I mean it started with the original special editions. To be honest, a lot of the additions and alterations I don't mind. I even LIKE some. I have issues with some of the ANH and ROTJ changes, but the ESB SE doesn't have a single thing that really bothers me. In fact, I think it is an improvement. Bespin looks SO much better. Then the DVD versions came out where he added Hayden Anakin spirit (maybe my most hated change of the lot), Jango Fett's voice for Boba, etc. Then the Blu-ray release with blinking ewoks, a Dug in Jabba's palace, and the infamous "Noooo!" from Vader (probably my second least favorite). Now they're put on freaking Disney Plus and he STILL made a change. STILL!

He just...can't...stop.

Reaction score
considering how many "Han Shot First" T-shirts were sold... every time he changes something, it generates profit...

>> he probably had plans, for a whole line of "Maclukney" merchandise... T-shirts, bumper stickers, you name it

(and of course I meant, the closed captions were blank -- there was no caption at all -- therefore the word means -nothing-) LOL

Reaction score
considering how many "Han Shot First" T-shirts were sold... every time he changes something, it generates profit...

>> he probably had plans, for a whole line of "Maclukney" merchandise... T-shirts, bumper stickers, you name it

(and of course I meant, the closed captions were blank -- there was no caption at all -- therefore the word means -nothing-) LOL
The man does know how to generate revenue, right?

Reaction score
I sure hope they make a running gag out of it. Every decade or so, release a remastered version of the OT for a new medium - 3D, 4D, Holodeck, whatever - and change the Greedo-Scene sligthly. Just for the lulz. Han shot first. Greedo shot first. Han and Greedo shoot at the same time. The barkeeper shot first. Han and Greedo shoot the Barkeeper first, become pals and travel to the death star, etc.

Reaction score
I sure hope they make a running gag out of it. Every decade or so, release a remastered version of the OT for a new medium - 3D, 4D, Holodeck, whatever - and change the Greedo-Scene sligthly. Just for the lulz. Han shot first. Greedo shot first. Han and Greedo shoot at the same time. The barkeeper shot first. Han and Greedo shoot the Barkeeper first, become pals and travel to the death star, etc.
...they both agree it was a misunderstanding and decide to have a drink together......the next time they do the same, but fight over who has to pay for it and then the whole who shot first can begin all over again.

Reaction score
people are saying, it's a huttese word, and the translation is something like "...this will be the end of you!" (or something like that).

the funny thing is, when you watch with the "closed captions" turned on, the huttese words are translated on screen -- Greedo speaks huttese and the closed captions translate this as '..I'm lucky I found you first' (or whatever)...

but when he says "Maclunkey!" , the closed captions say nothing.

so it actually IS, what it is. :p ROFL! (utter and complete nonsense)
Apparently Sebulba also says "Maclunkey" at the end of his exchange with Anakin before the pod race in Ep.1.
A friend told me this as I don't have Disney+.
Can anyone confirm?

Reaction score
Apparently Sebulba also says "Maclunkey" at the end of his exchange with Anakin before the pod race in Ep.1.
A friend told me this as I don't have Disney+.
Can anyone confirm?
So my buddy also told me that. So I looked into it. There's, I believe, really only three scenes where Sebulba has dialogue: His fight with Jar Jar and subsequent encounter with Anakin, his pre-race convo with Anakin, and when he loses the race...which he simply just says "Aaaaaaah POODOO!" It's got to be in the Jar Jar sequence, there's a moment that KIND OF sounds like "Maclunkey," but I'm really not certain that is what he's saying.

It's this scene, specifically the 1:19 mark:

Reaction score

You know I hadn't thought about it until I was listening to the Jedi Business podcast today, but it's not even a Han Shot "First" thing. It's a Greedo never shot at all thing. I guess saying "Han Shot First" has more zing. I was just watching it before coming over here, and it's really super awkward how they put the "Maclunky" line in there. It's really weird.

For those that don't have Disney+ yet, it's like he's responding to Han saying "yes, I'll bet you have". They cut to a straight on close up shot of Greedo's face saying "Maclunky" before cutting back to the farther out shot of Han and Greedo shooting at each other.

Reaction score
Maclunky is just a yet unseen character that will appear soon on one of the shows.

Reaction score
What was wrong with him saying "Yaborska", or whatever it was?

This scene is getting more ridiculous as time goes by.

You know, as bad as Star Wars has been under Disney's handling, "Mclunkey" is an eye opening reason as to why Lucas needs to be kept away, or at a very long arm's length. He just doesn't know what the hell he's doing any more.

Reaction score
What was wrong with him saying "Yaborska", or whatever it was?

This scene is getting more ridiculous as time goes by.

You know, as bad as Star Wars has been under Disney's handling, "Mclunkey" is an eye opening reason as to why Lucas needs to be kept away, or at a very long arm's length. He just doesn't know what the hell he's doing any more.
Who said George Lucas had anything to do with "Maclunkey"?
It's not in his original or special edition. It's only heard now on Disney+.
Sounds like Disney added it to stir up controversy.

BTW George Lucas is a genius who made 6 awesome Star Wars movies.

Reaction score
Multiple articles have stated that this was a change George made for the 3D release that never happened. I think even Pablo tweeted about it the other day.

Personally I have no issue with it. That scene has been changed and tweaked so much since the original that one "maclunkey" isn't doing any harm.

Also didn't Sebulba say "maclunkey" in TPM before he loses the race to Anakin?

Reaction score
To be honest, they could make Greedo pink, put him in a dress and say "The Last Jedi is great" and it wouldn't really matter to me at this stage. I have Harmy's "original" cuts to watch, where Solo is the only one that shoots and the old dialogue, that was perfectly fine in the first place, is intact.

It's just perplexing that someone, George or whomever, saw fit that this was a change that just had to be made.

Reaction score
sebulba says something more like.. "Maka-Lon Kay"
AGREED! A bunch have no told me Sebulba says it, but it doesn't quite match up to me either. Granted maybe it's more accented in this case? But I don't think Sebulba says it exactly how Greedo does at all.

To be honest, they could make Greedo pink, put him in a dress and say "The Last Jedi is great" and it wouldn't really matter to me at this stage. I have Harmy's "original" cuts to watch, where Solo is the only one that shoots and the old dialogue, that was perfectly fine in the first place, is intact.

It's just perplexing that someone, George or whomever, saw fit that this was a change that just had to be made.
I'm in the exact same boat! At this rate, I don't even care. I'm not even offended. It's just become funny now, like he's overtly trolling us at this rate. I'm just having fun with it.

Reaction score
^^ the funny part is the fact that George STILL feels the need to keep changing it. it's gotten absurd, at this point.

the first time, he said (something along the lines of) "I'm sorry you fell in love with that old movie, but THIS is the way it was INTENDED to be seen" (according to his "Original Vision", or whatever).

and then he changed it, again. and again. and again.

so... is THIS his "Original Vision" now? (I thought he said the other version was his "Original Vision", back when he changed it the first time?) I can't even keep track any more.

maybe the NEXT change will be his "Original Vision"?? (or maybe all his talk about "Original Vision" was all just a bunch of ********)?? who knows?

he's lost ALL credibility, at this point. it's just gotten ridiculous.

Reaction score
^^ the funny part is the fact that George STILL feels the need to keep changing it. it's gotten absurd, at this point.

the first time, he said (something along the lines of) "I'm sorry you fell in love with that old movie, but THIS is the way it was INTENDED to be seen" (according to his "Original Vision", or whatever).

and then he changed it, again. and again. and again.

so... is THIS his "Original Vision" now? (I thought he said the other version was his "Original Vision", back when he changed it the first time?) I can't even keep track any more.

maybe the NEXT change will be his "Original Vision"?? (or maybe all his talk about "Original Vision" was all just a bunch of ********)?? who knows?

he's lost ALL credibility, at this point. it's just gotten ridiculous.
Agreed. He's just become an old curmudgeon kook. In some ways I think his soul always was. The man is a genius, no two ways about it. It's just...there's a very fine line between genius and insanity. This is literally the fourth version of the Greedo scene. There are now literally four cuts. What is it with him and this scene? Did he experience PTSD while shooting it? Did his dog die while shooting it? Did someone humiliate him on set while shooting it? What is with this scene? It's just become humorous, when once it was obnoxious and angering it's almost entertaining to me now. I've come to the conclusion that until he passes, it'll never stop. I've just accepted it and am willing to roll with it. I can't wait for the version where Greedo and Han make up their differences and tell a ballet of forgiveness and closeted romance.

Reaction score
at the time of shooting it, he wanted a full-on bar-brawl "shootout" in the cantina. but (a) he had no money to shoot it this way and (b) it would have looked ridiculous -- so his EX-WIFE stepped in and said, "I Got This" -- she was a masterful film editor, after all.

>> in HER version: the two combatants are sitting across from each other; there is a screen-filling flash of light, and the screen fills with smoke; the smoke clears, and the two combatants are STILL sitting across from each other -- (the audience wonders briefly 'wtf just happened? did Han shoot? did Han GET shot? whats going on?) -- and THEN greedo slumps forward with his head on the table, breaking this tension, and causing a laugh. *whew*

the scene was perfect, on a shoestring budget.

but it would seem that GL hates his ex-wife...(?) and he just wanted to ERASE her contribution from History...(?) (and/or, he just wanted to get in the 'last word' against her)... so he changed it. again. and again. and again.

^^ [IMO} this is the part that is SO egregious. I don't actually CARE who shot first. the whole "Han Shot First" thing was a deflection/distraction from the Real Issue at hand: she won an oscar for "best film editing" on SW'77, and he ERASED her oscar-winning-performance from the anals of HISTORY. that's not cool. it's just petty and mean. (he's never won an oscar in his life).

(and apparently he's never gotten over it -- he STILL keeps changing it, in an endless quest to "out-do" her -- and every time, he just makes it WORSE -- thus proving, for all to see, that HER "kung-fu" is BETTER than HIS).

Last edited:
Reaction score
at the time of shooting it, he wanted a full-on bar-brawl "shootout" in the cantina. but (a) he had no money to shoot it this way and (b) it would have looked ridiculous -- so his EX-WIFE stepped in and said, "I Got This" -- she was a masterful film editor, after all.

>> in HER version: the two combatants are sitting across from each other; there is a screen-filling flash of light, and the screen fills with smoke; the smoke clears, and the two combatants are STILL sitting across from each other -- (the audience wonders briefly 'wtf just happened? did Han shoot? did Han GET shot? whats going on?) -- and THEN greedo slumps forward with his head on the table, breaking this tension, and causing a laugh. *whew*

the scene was perfect, on a shoestring budget.

but it would seem that GL hates his ex-wife...(?) and he just wanted to ERASE her contribution from History...(?) (and/or, he just wanted to get in the 'last word' against her)... so he changed it. again. and again. and again.

^^ [IMO} this is the part that is SO egregious. I don't actually CARE who shot first. the whole "Han Shot First" thing was a deflection/distraction from the Real Issue at hand: she was nominated for an oscar over this, and he ERASED her oscar-nominated-performance from the anals of HISTORY. that's not cool. it's just petty and mean.

(and apparently he's never gotten over it -- he STILL keeps changing it, in an endless quest to "out-do" her -- and every time, he just makes it WORSE -- thus proving, for all to see, that HER "kung-fu" is BETTER than HIS).
Well I always did have a theory. I know while writing/shooting ROTJ he went through that said brutal divorce. I always thought that was manifested in one thing. The Sarlacc pit. You have a giant sand...well...female genitalia pit (let's be honest)....and what does it do? Consume people...but they don't die. They suffer for decades and decades of pain. You fall into it, fall for it. Your then consumed by it. Then you suffer long after it's really over. I don't think it's a coincidence that Lucas was going through that terrible divorce at the time he wrote that. I could swear I'm the only one who's ever really thought of this.

Reaction score
Well I always did have a theory. I know while writing/shooting ROTJ he went through that said brutal divorce. I always thought that was manifested in one thing. The Sarlacc pit. You have a giant sand...well...female genitalia pit (let's be honest)....and what does it do? Consume people...but they don't die. They suffer for decades and decades of pain. You fall into it, fall for it. Your then consumed by it. Then you suffer long after it's really over. I don't think it's a coincidence that Lucas was going through that terrible divorce at the time he wrote that. I could swear I'm the only one who's ever really thought of this.
That actually factored into my dissertation on Lucas back at university.

Reaction score
ironic that they're billing this as the "end of the skywalker saga" after they went OUT OF THEIR WAY to kill all the skywakers; to "kill the past"; and to focus this trilogy onto "new characters".

this trilogy was "sold" to us as a new beginning of a new story, in a new era, with new characters.... it was sold to us as the "future of star wars"... now they're selling it as the LAST chapter of the OLD era. ROFL

(KK wishes her movies were part of the "old era" -- if only "saying it" would make it true... LOL)

[insert Goerge Orwell meme]

Last edited:
Reaction score
Actually, that's a good point Boney.
These current OT prints on Disney + were 4K restorations that Lucas was working on for the never released 3D versions. The changes, including the lightsaber color corrections, as well as “maclunkey”, we’re done before Disney’s acquisition of Lucasfilm. This is confirmed by several sources including screen rant.

Reaction score
I have to admit that Kylo and the Knights of Ren look really cool on the cover. I really wished they had played a part in TLJ and been more incorporated into the overall story of the ST. I think JJ laid out an interesting group of bad guys, but then they were just kind of left by the wayside after TFA.

Reaction score
Really hoping they make the guy on the far right, with a rifle on his shoulder. As well as the two guys closest to Kylo on the left.

Reaction score
The guy with the rifle and the one directly next to him (not in the back, but behind Kylo) are two I'd like to see in the TVC line.

Reaction score
I have to admit that Kylo and the Knights of Ren look really cool on the cover. I really wished they had played a part in TLJ and been more incorporated into the overall story of the ST. I think JJ laid out an interesting group of bad guys, but then they were just kind of left by the wayside after TFA.
Based on how TLJ went down and how RJ treated the majority of the characters (ruined Finn, ruined Luke, ruined Kylo, killed Snoke, ruined Rey...) I'm glad he decided to use his own red Guard guys instead of The Knights is Ren as the fodder in the throne room fight.

JVM

Reaction score
AGREED! A bunch have no told me Sebulba says it, but it doesn't quite match up to me either. Granted maybe it's more accented in this case? But I don't think Sebulba says it exactly how Greedo does at all.

I'm in the exact same boat! At this rate, I don't even care. I'm not even offended. It's just become funny now, like he's overtly trolling us at this rate. I'm just having fun with it.
This is largely my feelings on the Greedo scene. I feel a huge reason Lucas has continued to tweak it, rather than leave it from the second edit, was because it generates such headlines and fan interest every time; after all, the later versions seemed to rest a lot on making the timing of the shots closer, rather than making either shoot earlier than the '97 edit. I have no doubt half of why the change was noticed was because someone went to stream the movie and jumped to that scene. Enough people talk about the change it's sort of irrelevant anyway what the film contains. Pop culture will remember 'Han Shot First'. In any case, it's hard for me to see this edit as any greater sin than the fact it was altered to begin with.

I also think it's important to remember that at the time of the sale, the 3D re-releases of the original trilogy weren't ready to go, so I do wonder if this was still an unfinished work-in-progress edit; that Lucas simply lost interest before he added the caption for 'Macklunkey' or had time to rethink it; or put another way, he might very well have made more changes.

ironic that they're billing this as the "end of the skywalker saga" after they went OUT OF THEIR WAY to kill all the skywakers; to "kill the past"; and to focus this trilogy onto "new characters".

this trilogy was "sold" to us as a new beginning of a new story, in a new era, with new characters.... it was sold to us as the "future of star wars"... now they're selling it as the LAST chapter of the OLD era. ROFL
Yeah, this is what's killing me about the movie. The Last Jedi seemed to want us to forget about the previous films and characters, even The Force Awakens to a degree, decrying the tinge of nostalgia and urging us through Luke and Kylo Ren to let go of the past and accept change, with failure at the center... only for the movie to come out of a tunnel in a more extreme version of the previous status quo - the First Order is stronger again, the Resistance is weaker again, Rey is still becoming a Jedi, etc. - while killing off some characters for measure, feels like a complete repudiation of the previous film... only for the next to promise to explain the lore, and revisit the elements, that the previous film seemed to outright mock people for being invested in the first place.

There wasn't a reason to make another Star Wars saga film except nostalgia for the original characters - the existing storylines were all wrapped up in Return of the Jedi - and I still feel anthology films would have sufficed fan interest. When The Force Awakens was released, it seemed to use its honor and respect for the first two films to beg us to take it seriously as a legitimate sequel, but the film after it seemed to mock us for buying into its premise. After the previous film's emotional setup, Luke does not turn away from Rey or refuse the lightsaber, but he flips it over his head. I can't believe you bought into this! You really believe everything they tell you? Johnson's creative choices, to me, are often more justifiable than his stylistic choices, where it feels as if he can't resist a hard swerve... which can be fun in a standalone movie, but doing it here only extinguishes the justification and promise the trilogy was built on.

So for me personally, it's just hard to enjoy seeing Billy Dee Williams reprise Lando Calrissian at this point, and it's hard to feel interested in the backstory of the Knights of Ren, after a film that seemed to insist so strongly that these things were so laughably irrelevant. The Last Jedi told us feel we shouldn't buy into it, and we shouldn't believe what they tell me. Abrams' promises to explain elements, revisit characters, and make good on the promises made in his first film all feel sort of hollow after that. Why even make another one if there's nowhere left for these characters to grow? If lore didn't matter then, why should it matter now?

Based on how TLJ went down and how RJ treated the majority of the characters (ruined Finn, ruined Luke, ruined Kylo, killed Snoke, ruined Rey...) I'm glad he decided to use his own red Guard guys instead of The Knights is Ren as the fodder in the throne room fight.
If he used the Knights of Ren, it'd be everything wrong with Snoke repeated - something treated as mysterious and significant in the previous film, with big implications for the franchise lore, is casually disposed of without even a hint as to its deeper meaning, just to create a certain moment for the protagonists, while retroactively being treated as having never mattered to begin with anyway, taking away what little impact is left for their destruction to hold. Fans of all sides should be thankful that Johnson's better side won out here.

I still think it says an incredible amount about Johnson's approach to directing - for better or negative - that his response to their lack of inclusion was to remark he'd have had to kill them off. I mean, I appreciate the candor at least, it's one of the aspects of Johnson I like in spite of the movie, but it says a lot about his approach. See also his answer to why Snoke's character is insubstantial. He's very focused on telling one story - one story - the way he wants to tell it, but he has no thought process as to who these characters are ,or why they exist, outside of that storyline. He's always came off to me as if he can't care about who these characters are when his camera isn't rolling. I always felt one of Lucas' greatest skills was having an understanding these characters lead inner lives off-screen, even if that sometimes induced laziness at points - it also meant there were always story and development opportunities in other mediums that could feed into his core saga. At the very least, people like Abrams and Feige would probably tag those statements with a tease that the characters may have significance in the future.

This is a line of thinking that can be very effective for standalone films, so I can't criminalize it as much as I'd like, but I feel that it underlines how much Johnson's approach is that these characters are tools for storytelling and don't really exist on their own plane. They come into existence when he rolls a camera, fill the niche needs for his story, and disappear. They don't have an existence outside the specific situations he is creating for his story. There's a thousand movies where that's sound thinking, and that's part of why Last Jedi connected with that kind of audience, and seemed so strong as an individual film, but it's just never been the approach Star Wars has taken, not even under Abrams. Even at his worst, Abrams has always been very respectful that these characters, new and old, have lived broader lives.

(I really, really hate how much this whole post I've written here reads like some kid who can't get over Last Jedi. I'm not that guy and I've never wanted to be that guy.)

Reaction score
Excellent point and you're right, he would have ruined them.