TROS Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - December 19, 2019

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Star Wars: Episode IX has been slated for a 2019/2020 release date.

Discuss!

Reaction score
.....We're going to be sitting in a darkened theater watching EPISODE IX someday!!!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this fact.... o-o

Reaction score
It just occured to me, I will most likely be 50 years old when I go to see this film with my teenage daughter!!!

GNT

Reaction score
‘Star Wars’ Rumor: J.J. Abrams the Frontrunner to Direct ‘Episode 9′

Star Wars fans are rightfully focusing on this December’s The Force Awakens, but Disney/Lucasfilm isn’t slowing down when it comes to planning the future of their flagship franchise. Just last week, for example, we learned that director Rian Johnson’s Episode VIII will hit theaters in May 2017, less than six months after the first Star Wars spin-off, Gareth Edwards’ Star Wars: Rogue One,is released in December 2016.

When Johnson first came on board last year, there were conflicting reports that the filmmaker would not only call the shots on Episode VIII, but Episode IX as well. Since that time, all’s been relatively quiet on that front (not surprising, given how far out that film is), but today the sequel trilogy finale is back in the news. According to the latest rumor, the directing duties for the third instalment will fall upon a familiar face: J.J. Abrams.

The report comes courtesy of Latino Review, who claim that the Force Awakens helmsman is currently the frontrunner for the Episode IX job. According to their sources, Disney executives who have seen footage from Episode VII are very pleased with what Abrams has accomplished, and LR has been able to independently verify four times that his name has popped up frequently enough in conversations for him to be considered candidate number one in regards to Episode IX. This is just a rumor for now, but there certainly seems to be some smoke to this fire.
If anything, this bodes well for the quality of Force Awakens. It’s hard to imagine a scenario in which Lucasfilm would invite Abrams back if they were not happy with the job he did on the saga’s seventh episode. Ever since the Mouse House acquired the studio, everyone involved with this process has demonstrated an understanding of how important it is to get these new movies “right” and bring the Star Wars brand back into the forefront of the entertainment industry. People want strong storytelling in addition to genre thrills with their blockbusters, so perhaps Abrams has cracked that code.

We’ve seen very little footage from Force Awakens to this point, with the film’s teaser trailer operating as our lone look into what Abrams has in store. That said, the preview was certainly successful in exciting moviegoers about a return journey to a galaxy far, far away, so it’s safe to say that his filmmaking style jives well with the tone of the series. Time will tell, of course, but right now everything seems promising, and Force Awakens could very well be a return to the franchise’s glory days in the late ’70s and early ’80s.

But even if Abrams fits the world like a glove, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’d sign up for a second go-around. A huge fan of Star Wars, the director was initially hesitant to sign on to Force Awakens (wanting to experience it as a moviegoer), and has admitted previously that directing the new movie was “an intense and terrifying prospect.” At the same time, he’s also called the process a great opportunity and has certainly brought his passion for the series with him to the set. There’s enough time between Force Awakens and Episode IX that Abrams could recharge his batteries and be motivated to finish what he started.

Again, this is all rumor at this juncture, so it’s important for readers to keep those grains of salt happy. Episode IX won’t hit theaters until 2019 at the earliest, so a lot can change between now and when that film enters production. The public reception to Force Awakens should also be a key influencing factor in determining if Abrams comes back. As long as it is well-received, there won’t be too many detractors protesting another space adventure directed by him. Fingers crossed this is a sign that a new era of Star Wars films will be worth celebrating.

Reaction score
.....We're going to be sitting in a darkened theater watching EPISODE IX someday!!!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this fact.... o-o
I remember back in the day when we heard there would be 9 films…and I did the math at 3 years apart…and my 12 year old self pictured myself as a grown man taking my own kids to the last of the films…and I pictured myself in a suit and tie! :) I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've worn a suit and tie outside of a wedding or funeral! But yeah, exciting to think I'll be fulfilling this dream minus suit and tie!

Reaction score
Just sitting here, waiting for Episode XXVLI to come out...

(pins and needles)

:p

GNT

Reaction score
I'm sure he'll be back at some point, wouldn't mind if his son also returns to the franchise as well.

Reaction score
Well I will only be 48 and my son will be 12 which is a good age to really enjoy starwars or he will say "Dad your so lame" lol

Damn, I'll be 50 too. I'll probably need bifocals just to read any Huttese on screen.

GNT

Reaction score
[h=2]Colin Trevorrow confirmed for Star Wars: Episode IX[/h]The Lucasfilm/Star Wars portion of the D23 Expo in Anaheim, California has ended and Disney Chairman Alan Horn kicked things off by announcing and confirming that Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow will direct Star Wars: Episode IX!

The movie is currently set for an undisclosed 2019 date with production not beginning for a few years, although Trevorrow will begin production with Lucasfilm soon.

The official press release has a statement from Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy:

“Colin is someone I’ve been interested in working with ever since I saw Safety Not Guaranteed. The power of that film paired with the enormous success of Jurassic World speaks volumes about his abilities both as a storyteller and skilled filmmaker. We are thrilled to have such an incredible talent as Colin join our family and step into the Star Wars universe.”

As well as one from Trevorrow himself:

“This is not a job or an assignment. It is a seat at a campfire, surrounded by an extraordinary group of storytellers, filmmakers, artists and craftspeople. We’ve been charged with telling new stories for a younger generation because they deserve what we all had—a mythology to call their own. We will do this by channeling something George Lucas instilled in all of us: boundless creativity, pure invention and hope.”

Written by Simon Kinberg, Lawrence Kasdan, Rian Johnson and Michael Arndt, Star Wars: Episode IX will conclude the third trilogy of Star Wars movies that begins with Star Wars: The Force Awakens on December 18, 2015.

Reaction score
I'm unsure how I feel about this. Star Wars is very different from Jurassic Park thematically, story wise, and in motif. I know people were apathetic about the amoral plot line and lack of motifs in Jurassic World, but SW as a franchise is built off of ideologies and themes. The entire OT was a coming of age story that it's target audience could continue to find relatable they grew out of their teens and became young adults. The PT was a giant allusion to the fall of the Roman Empire and included parallels to the US Government both at the time the movies were made as well as taking themes from the US Civil War. I just feel like with Trevorrow at the helm, we wouldn't get a continuation of themes, ideologies, and morals.

Reaction score
I'm unsure how I feel about this. Star Wars is very different from Jurassic Park thematically, story wise, and in motif. I know people were apathetic about the amoral plot line and lack of motifs in Jurassic World, but SW as a franchise is built off of ideologies and themes. The entire OT was a coming of age story that it's target audience could continue to find relatable they grew out of their teens and became young adults. The PT was a giant allusion to the fall of the Roman Empire and included parallels to the US Government both at the time the movies were made as well as taking themes from the US Civil War. I just feel like with Trevorrow at the helm, we wouldn't get a continuation of themes, ideologies, and morals.
You're assuming Trevorrow can only do one kind of film. It wasn't Jurassic World that really caught Lucasfilm's eye... it was Safety Not Guaranteed, which is a very different beast from Jurassic World. JW just showed 'em he could manage an effects-laden big adventure.

Reaction score
Safety Not Guaranteed is a plot hole riddled mess that is saved only by the films entertainment value. Trevorrow and Connolly are terrible at scripts. The biggest comparison between Jurassic World and Safety Not Guaranteed is that they're both very enjoyable films. They're not Bayformers level "zone out enjoyment", but they're along that wavelength.

Reaction score
It just occured to me, I will most likely be 50 years old when I go to see this film with my teenage daughter!!!
:) haha... I will be 50 too, I'll have to rewatch EP IV-VI to refresh my memory, and hopefully by then I would have forgotten about EP I-III. My oldest will be 17... wow.

GNT

Reaction score
[h=2]Star Wars: Episode IX may begin filming in July[/h]In February, Omega Underground found a casting call for Star Wars: Episode IX that appeared to confirm that shooting for the film will begin in July of this year. Now the site has found another one that seemingly confirms this as My Entertainment World has posted a casting notice that notes the shoot date as July, 2017.

This remains unconfirmed, however, as casting notices aren’t always right in terms of what they post. Production schedules change often and it’s certainly possible that this is a place holder. The site also mentions that the assumption is that when the upcoming Han Solo film moved onto location and out of Pinewood Studios in London, that Star Wars: Episode IX would move in and begin production.

There is no release date set for Star Wars: Episode IX, though it will be in 2019. Star Wars: The Last Jedi will be released later this year on December 15. The film stars Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, Andy Serkis, Benicio Del Toro, Laura Dern and Kelly Marie Tran.

Rey took her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and will continue her epic journey with Finn, Poe, and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the continuing Star Wars saga. The Last Jedi is written and directed by Rian Johnson and produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman and executive produced by J.J. Abrams, Jason McGatlin, and Tom Karnowski.

Reaction score
If they do start in July (and VII & VIII are anything to go by) then won't they wrap around Christmas?

Even if it carries over into 2018, that is the bones of two years before it is released.

Is it possible that the date could be brought forward to May 2019? I prefer the Christmas release but it is an awful long time between Star Wars movies. :'(**

Why did they move the Han Solo movie from a Christmas date?

EDIT: I just saw the chatter the it might be going back to Christmas.:p

Last edited:
Reaction score
a far as I heard - Solo in May 2018 and the rest will follow in future May dates, like the old days, the proper time of the year for a SW cinematic release. but, we'll see.

Reaction score
a far as I heard - Solo in May 2018 and the rest will follow in future May dates, like the old days, the proper time of the year for a SW cinematic release. but, we'll see.
IX is Christmas and now there is rumours Han Solo is moving back too.

What makes May "the proper time of year"?

Reaction score
The first six were released then, just happened that way, so call me nostalgic, traditional, whatever. Those whom were there for the 1st six films cinematically usually feel this way, as minuscule as it sounds. depending on where you live, mid winter releases can be a huge pain in the ***. Like I say a lot around here, we'll see.

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is only one day SW movies should be released and it will become a National Holiday. May the Fourth be with you!

Reaction score
haha!! that works too. Ultimately I will take a film whenever they give it, so bring 'em on!

Last edited:
Reaction score
The first six were released then, just happened that way, so call me nostalgic, traditional, whatever. Those whom were there for the 1st six films cinematically usually feel this way, as minuscule as it sounds. depending on where you live, mid winter releases can be a huge pain in the ***. Like I say a lot around here, we'll see.
I've been around for all six. It doesn't matter to me when they are released and I know plenty who share that opinion and share yours.

I know a lot of people on the internet want a May release but I don't think you say "Those whom were there for the 1st six films cinematically usually feel this way" because just because a lot of people say one thing doesn't mean it is the opinion of many. It just means they are the only talking :grin:

I've encountered a few people who desperately crave it because "it needs to be just because". You are the first to give a sensible reason for it not being Christmas because of the weather (or so I believe).

However, going to a Star Wars movie is never a "pain" come rain, hail or flood!!!:p

Reaction score
Snoke's ring is obsidian from Mustafar castle. I think it's a metaphor for ski slope difficulty and how much is riding on IX.

Reaction score
it's a direct reference to CHEESE :whistling:

(apparently, even JJ acknowledges the 'cheesy' flavor of NuSW :p I can't think of a more fitting title) *shrug*

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can we start giving this film negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes yet, or is it too early? Because this movie is totally going to ruin Star Wars for me.... :p

Reaction score
Can we start giving this film negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes yet, or is it too early? Because this movie is totally going to ruin Star Wars for me.... :p
Lol. I think its funny that we are posting on a forum where the current film is being labeled the worst star wars movie, and there is a thread titled The force awakens is the worst movie ever made!

I keep forgetting the cycle of star wars complaints starts over with each new film.