Star Wars Concept Sandtrooper Mini Bust - SDCC Exclusive

Reaction score
I did yes and picked it up this morning ,import duty was £14 odd and £8 of that was RM handling fee. I was amazed by the size of the outer box bareing in mind the size of the bust inside.

Cannoneer.
Yeah join the club! That package was ridiculous. If they keep making them so oversized I’m going to run out of room to store them real quick.
Glad you didn’t get stung too badly on the tax etc.

Reaction score
Mine arrived in good condition. The cheap foam used gave me an instant “ Oh no “ factor. Another collectibles company used to use that garbage as well , though I can’t remember who it was. I HATE stickers on statues. They always stand out and look crappy. Like someone else said , I hope Ahsoka doesn’t give me the same experience as this guy did. C’mon DST , how about fixing these issues on future pieces ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Haven’t received mine yet and the USPS tracking is worthless so I have no idea when to expect it.

As far as to foam goes it sounds like the brittle brake apart garbage Attakus used to use. Messy stuff.

Reaction score
That's probably who I'm thinking of. Used to have quite a few of their pieces. The foam is almost like fiber glass. Messy crap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Mine was delivered last night, oddly enough it showed up without the post office ever receiving the item according to the tracking. Impressive.

Reaction score
I’m glad I’m not the only one who found the stickers and the packaging unacceptable.

LightSword - Glad you got the gun straightened, do you think the packaging was responsible?
Hi guys, Do you have any photos of the stickers and new packaging?

Reaction score
IÂ’m glad IÂ’m not the only one who found the stickers and the packaging unacceptable.

LightSword - Glad you got the gun straightened, do you think the packaging was responsible?
Not at all, John. As I mentioned before, we are not buying a plastic, bendable Hasbro 3 3/4" action figure. This is an expensive collectible that is also fragile in nature, and it should be treated like so. You come to expect a certain level of care and quality according to what you pay for a purchase. Personally, the switch from the sturdy foam tray to this brittle one is a cheap move. The cut out area in the foam for the bust was/is too small, and looked like the Trooper was just pushed down in it, hence why I'm assuming the rifle's barrel on mine was bent. Not even the name of the company is on the foam tray, and rather than having a tape going around both of its halves, it was just two pieces of packaging tape going across keeping the tray together.

And did you notice how cheap the bottom of the base looks? No Star Wars logo, no name for the character, no rectangular box saying "limited edition number," no production year. Instead just letters saying "Made in China", and some other writing. Also, take a good look at the brow trim going around, separating the dome from the lower part of the helmet. That yellowish trim was painted irregularly. There's paint bleeding into the dome area as if they had hired an eighty year old man with shaky hands and a brush to paint it. Also on mine, there are scratches all over the stock of the rifle.

Add to all this the one crumbled up piece of paper inside the box "protecting" the item, and well ...any of us I'm sure would have done a much better job. Luckily for me I got the rifle fixed, but again, if we are still going to be paying the same high price for a mini bust, at least keep things packed the way they always have. I like the bust, the sculpting, the details, etc but between the cheap stickers, paint bleeding, scratches, messed up rifle, shiny stickers and awful packaging, I felt treated to this offer like a "lady of the night" by Bubba the P.i.m.p. :)

I'll be posting pictures soon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Arranged for mine to be delivered on Monday so haven't got it inhand yet but hearing the stories about poor packaging & poor quality on the bust (seriously? stickers? Why not painted?). Also, the new base sounds awful - no logo, no character name, no year. What's that all about? If I didn't know better, I would have thought I'd be receiving a cheap knock off item.

i'll be very surprised if mine arrives undamaged. Gets my back up when companies cut corners especially in quality. Many re-upped this year to make sure they got this minibust so it's pretty disappointing to hear this. Doesn't bode well for future releases does it.

I love my collection and love adding to it but one thing I won't accept is shoddy products especially if the price doesn't reflect that. I'd be more than happy to keep my current collection as it is (my detolfs are pretty full) and not add further to it if that's the case and I should imagine many might feel the same if the quality takes a dip.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Damn Julian. After reading your post I’m officially worried now. Not so much about the packaging, but the MB itself. No SW logo, character name, edition size written on the bottom of the base? I don’t like the break from form on that nor do the stickers sound like something that should be on a piece like this. I’ll reserve judgment until mine arrives but I sure hope this isn’t a sign of things to come.

Reaction score
Damn Julian. After reading your post I’m officially worried now. Not so much about the packaging, but the MB itself. No SW logo, character name, edition size written on the bottom of the base? I don’t like the break from form on that nor do the stickers sound like something that should be on a piece like this. I’ll reserve judgment until mine arrives but I sure hope this isn’t a sign of things to come.
Scott, maybe I'm too picky and you might not find yours to be the same way. I'm sure some will look better than others, thus I'm speaking based on the item I received. However, the foam tray is the same for all of us. I just feel if I'm paying $135.00 for a half statue, and having paid another $150.00 for a membership in order to have the right to buy it, this thing should have been perfect, But again, just keep in mind this is my personal view of the product and the whole experience. I hope you, as well as other folks end up with a much better product than mine. But overall, I do confirm the quality is inferior to previous releases. Here are the pictures I promised....

Cheap foam tray showing way it was taped.

- Dented base and plain bottom of base

- Awfully applied, and obviously noticeable stickers

- Sloppy paint application on the brow trim

- Scratched up rifle

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just opened mine after catching up on the latest here on the forum...yikes! That foam suxx. My gun, like yours LS, is bent, plus I have a broken shoulder strap. I found the little piece floating around inside the plastic bag. Overall the quality is definitely lacking on this one. Most noticeably on mine besides the broken strap is the paint app around the helmet above the eyes as well. I'll fix the strap and gently bend the gun barrel back as a replacement could have similar if not worse issues...ugh.

...that base bothers me most I think. Not having the SW logo and other info there does make it feel like a knock off. Here are some pics:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Scott, maybe I'm too picky and you might not find yours to be the same way. I'm sure some will look better than others, thus I'm speaking based on the item I received. However, the foam tray is the same for all of us. I just feel if I'm paying 135 for a half statue, and having paid another 150.0 for a membership to have the right to buy it, this thing should have been perfect, But again, just keep in mind this is my personal view of the product and the whole experience. I hope you, as well as other folks end up with a much better product than mine. But overall, I do confirm the quality is inferior to previous releases.
After seeing these picts, and my recent experience over the declined / cancelled Ashoka (1+ day and counting, "shocking" no one has got back to me from Diamond yet) I have to say glad I listened to my gut and passed on the new PGM. What a shame, because this bust had the potential to be an awesome one. I do feel bad for you guys, because this should of been a proud addition to the McQ busts.

Now, I fear what the Spacetrooper is going to look like when it arrives in 2020, or how it will hold up when shipped based off these photos.

Lastly, I love baseball and when they first started doing Bobblehead giveaways in the early 2000s they used that same cheap styrofoam crap, and nearly every bobblehead had major issues, like popped off heads, cracked or chipped heads, bases, etc. Even for a free giveaway, MLB were smart enough to move to the molded plastic with molded clips to prevent the bobbleheads from breaking within a couple years. Looks like Diamond are going back in time 20 years to stickers on busts and cheap packing materials.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just got home & mine was waiting for me. Needless to say I immediately opened it. Really disappointed with the use of decals on this. It definitely stands out. I misunderstood your initial post Julian about the base. Happy to see the # & ES listed but the omission of the character name is another disappointment. Happy to report no paint issues. Lines are fine on mine and outside of the decals I’m satisfied with the quality but not blown away by any means. The foam is crap! I’m hoping this may be a one off due to this being a SDCC Ex and the trademark packaging returns with regular releases. I guess we’ll know soon enough since Ashoka has begun shipping. Gonna put my Sandtrooper into the McQ mix and snap a couple quick pics as promised.

Reaction score
Please excuse the sub-par quality iPhone pics. Long day at work and didn’t feel like busting out the good camera.

Anyways, my McQ setup...

Reaction score
Happy for you, Scott! It's good to know your issue was only with the decals and your bust is fine. And that is a kick-butt set up you have there!

* If I were a conspiracy theorist I would say they hand picked the mini bust for me and sent me the crappiest one they found. On the other hand, I know they love me. So why would they do that, right? Right! :)

Reaction score
Piling on, I just got my Sandtrooper and the new styrofoam really isn't good enough. It crumbles, it's not form fit very well... it's cheap.

For $135 shipped, can we at least stick with the old style packaging!?

Reaction score
I just opened mine after catching up on the latest here on the forum...yikes! That foam suxx. My gun, like yours LS, is bent, plus I have a broken shoulder strap. I found the little piece floating around inside the plastic bag. Overall the quality is definitely lacking on this one. Most noticeably on mine besides the broken strap is the paint app around the helmet above the eyes as well. I'll fix the strap and gently bend the gun barrel back as a replacement could have similar if not worse issues...ugh.

...that base bothers me most I think. Not having the SW logo and other info there does make it feel like a knock off. Here are some pics:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Tommy, that was exactly how the rifle on mine was, but bent towards the helmet even more than yours. I looked at it and I was like "WTF?" I grabbed the barrel firmly exactly where it meets the rest of the gun, and bent it back the other way very slowly. It worked for me , but yours with a broken strap ...I don't know. To me it is a definite return. You should't have to give in to having a repaired sample considering its high cost. But you know better what works for you. As for the application of the paint on the brow trim above the eyes, I agree it is bad. You can even see the sloppy brush strokes there. Looking at the base, it does feel we've just got some Chinese bootleg copy. My exact feelings. Whatever you decide on doing, if it is a repair, I hope it comes out like new. And if you decide to return it, I hope a perfect sample gets sent to you. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow, everyone. Mine arrived today and I got worried after reading the comments so I opened mine that arrived today.

I have the same bent rifle. And I agree the final finishing is very disappointing along with the packaging. I have Ahsoka pre-ordered and if it has the same packaging I am done with GG.

Reaction score
Wow, everyone. Mine arrived today and I got worried after reading the comments so I opened mine that arrived today.

I have the same bent rifle. And I agree the final finishing is very disappointing along with the packaging. I have Ahsoka pre-ordered and if it has the same packaging I am done with GG.

That's it! That's just like mine was, before I bent the barrel back into place. So sorry you too got a bad sample. You figure after so many years of producing these mini busts, it should have become second nature to make sure the quality of what was being produced was up to expectations. But what do I know! Seeing this, indeed one is to wonder what the end result will be for the PG gifts from last year and Ahsoka which are all way, way overdue. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is unacceptable. I'm not sure what excuse they'll use, whether this was rushed for SDCC or what but if you're paying almost $150, it better arrive at my door almost perfect. Do not get me started on how cheap the base is, what a joke. Just based off your pics, it just comes off as a cheap knockoff. Similar to some of SSC Premium Formats over the last few years, where they just get lazy with a few pieces here and there.

I am now officially worried about Ahsoka. I just hope the MCQ Sandtrooper was a one off and we don't have this problem going forward.

Reaction score
Wow! That’s a damn shoddy minibust over all. I can’t believe I re-upped on the basis of this bust which makes it feel even worse (plus just coughed up a customs charge as well) If i’d seen what GG/DST was going to put out then I seriously wouldn’t have bothered (McQuarrie or not). I’ve been collecting GG since 2004 and we’ve all had our ups and downs but honestly, this feels like an new all time low in quality. I look at the state of the base and compare it to the previous ones and I think how do DST think they can put something as bad as that out which is shocking.

Do they really think they can cut corners on things and we wouldn’t say anything. I’ve kept my order for Ahsoka as i’ve wanted it for ages and i’m hoping this is a one off but seeing as they are shipping now probably not the case but......if this is how it’s going to be, i’m completely done with GG. I’ve been collecting Q-figs recently and i’ve been eyeing up their new Master Q statues so wouldn’t take much for me to decide to filter my collecting budget that way.

If mine arrives damaged then i’m returning it for a refund due to the packaging being not fit for purpose. We shouldn’t all be having to mend a product that personally has cost me over $150!!! I’d like to see what DST/Chuck has to say about this substandard product as it’s really unacceptable.

Last edited:
Reaction score
After seeing all the pictures on here I had a second look and found the gun barrel is bent on mine too. I don’t know how I missed it first time around, I was probably distracted by the stickers. Anyway it looks ok from the front so I won’t risk bending mine.

Last edited:
Reaction score

If mine arrives damaged then i’m returning it for a refund due to the packaging being not fit for purpose. We shouldn’t all be having to mend a product that personally has cost me over $150!!! I’d like to see what DST/Chuck has to say about this substandard product as it’s really unacceptable.
I recognize when I make a mistake, and right now I feel I made a big one renewing my membership this year, just so I could have direct access to this bust, and thus expecting it to be as good as previous ones. Well, I feel like a total idiot now. I've been trying to stay very positive about the change of ownership from 3D Systems to DST, and hoping for the best outcome. Right now I really don't know what to think. Chuck has been very good answering our questions, and after interacting with him a few times I believe he means well, so I'm not putting the blame for what we've got on him, but rather on the way this product was produced with such low quality standards, and it'd be nice to know what Chuck could let us know about what went wrong. Let's keep in mind it wasn't just the price we paid for the mini bust (for me here $135.00 with shipping), but also having to come up with an extra $150.00 for the membership in order to get it, all within the same month, for a total of $285.00 for this sub-standard product. As positive as I have been wanting to be, this does not feel right. Either lower the prices from now on to reflect the inferior product we'll be getting if this will continue, or bring back the previous quality to reflect the high price. As much as I love the mini busts, I also love spending my money wisely and getting my money's worth. I won't continue buying a product that does not reflect in its making and presentation the high standards its price demands, if this is the norm from now on. And I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow! Just found out about this! I didn't get a chance to open mine and will not be able to till Sunday. Oh man this is NOT good!! I should have waited to reup.
I saw your pics..that tan band over the eyes is hand painted with BAD BRUSH STOKES. And they styrofoam.....Wow...have to check mine!

Reaction score
I recognize when I make a mistake, and right now I feel I made a big one renewing my membership this year, just so I could have direct access to this bust, and thus expecting it to be as good as previous ones. Well, I feel like a total idiot now. ...
I feel the same way. I renewed at the eleventh hour to get this bust. I already have a Tarkin so did not feel the need to PGM this year. I can’t entertain a refund due to using rewards points to cut the price to about half.

The only saving grace is that at least this is behind the bust and with the set up then it is not as obvious.

I will be trying to gently return it to vertical.

Uggh.

Reaction score
I feel the same way. I renewed at the eleventh hour to get this bust. I already have a Tarkin so did not feel the need to PGM this year. I can’t entertain a refund due to using rewards points to cut the price to about half.

The only saving grace is that at least this is behind the bust and with the set up then it is not as obvious.

I will be trying to gently return it to vertical.

Uggh.
I hear you. Unfortunately it is what it is, and what was done is done. Just be very careful trying to put the barrel back the way it was meant to be. Honestly I was thinking I was going to break mine, but I was also so disappointed, I wasn't really giving a sheet about it. I got my membership mainly because of this bust and Ponda Baba. Tarkin wasn't really a motivator for me to renew either. Like you I have the first Tarkin version, and that one is perfect. I might get the Tarkin, depending on how it looks later on, but right now that clinched fist is not doing it for me. Have that arm placed behind his back instead. On the positive side about your purchase, at least you did not have to pay full price for your Sandtrooper, and that's a plus. He's not really worth its $120.00 price tag.

Reaction score
Wow! Just found out about this! I didn't get a chance to open mine and will not be able to till Sunday. Oh man this is NOT good!! I should have waited to reup.
I saw your pics..that tan band over the eyes is hand painted with BAD BRUSH STOKES. And they styrofoam.....Wow...have to check mine!
Hopefully yours is not that bad. It seems some look better than others. So, here I'm wishing yours looks the best. :)

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Man, I'm sorry to hear about all of the issues everyone seems to be having with this one. Mine arrived last week (#339/750) and after careful inspection, I can confirm that the rifle is perfectly straight and there are zero paint application issues aside from the glaringly obvious stickers that have already been pointed out. I do agree that this new packaging is going to result in a lot of broken products going forward as it doesn't have nearly the same strength as the previous Styrofoam shells that we're used to. I didn't open mine up right away after it arrived, but the first thing I thought was...man, this is a light box. Thankfully, the bust itself seems to carry the same typical weight of all the others. I also agree that the printing on the bottom of the bust is very plain and now, different than all of the other pieces that have come before it.

Reaction score
I recognize when I make a mistake, and right now I feel I made a big one renewing my membership this year, just so I could have direct access to this bust, and thus expecting it to be as good as previous ones. Well, I feel like a total idiot now.
I think we all feel a bit like that Julian. I honestly feel like i’ve been duped. When you buy a GG product you expect a certain quality (or at least a minimum that you don’t expect it to drop below) If this item is going to be the standard set now then i think we all need to rethink our collecting. What they have now sown is a seed of mistrust, I don’t think many of us will be so quick PGM re-upping in the future. Honestly, if DST are going to take over the company and run it half heartily with shoddy products then i’d rather GG folded.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I bet these bent rifles are happening in that awful packaging. I just checked mine and the rifle is bent, but just barely - enough that it's not a problem for me.

That said I took a closer look at the strap and sure enough it was snapped on one side and hanging on by a thread on the other. I barely touched it and it popped right off.

Reaction score
That sucks man! I double checked my rifle last night after reading all the reports here. Thankfully it was fine but when I get home I’m going to re-examine those straps too.

Reaction score
I recognize when I make a mistake, and right now I feel I made a big one renewing my membership this year, just so I could have direct access to this bust, and thus expecting it to be as good as previous ones. Well, I feel like a total idiot now. I've been trying to stay very positive about the change of ownership from 3D Systems to DST, and hoping for the best outcome. Right now I really don't know what to think. Chuck has been very good answering our questions, and after interacting with him a few times I believe he means well, so I'm not putting the blame for what we've got on him, but rather on the way this product was produced with such low quality standards, and it'd be nice to know what Chuck could let us know about what went wrong. Let's keep in mind it wasn't just the price we paid for the mini bust (for me here $135.00 with shipping), but also having to come up with an extra $150.00 for the membership in order to get it, all within the same month, for a total of $285.00 for this sub-standard product. As positive as I have been wanting to be, this does not feel right. Either lower the prices from now on to reflect the inferior product we'll be getting if this will continue, or bring back the previous quality to reflect the high price. As much as I love the mini busts, I also love spending my money wisely and getting my money's worth. I won't continue buying a product that does not reflect in its making and presentation the high standards its price demands, if this is the norm from now on. And I'll leave it at that.
Well said , this exactly sums up where I am at this moment too. Maybe for most of us here as well?

With respect to the decals you could try giving the bust a spray with :"Testors dullcote spray". It will take the obvious shine off of them when compared to the paint application. Having had to repair and repaint the visor on my Shoretrooper bust, I used this to make the finished paint job more uniform over the whole bust. It didn't affect anything on the rest of the bust (decals/paint).
As for the actual paint application and packaging, its terrible. Really hope you are all right and this is a rush job for SDCC.

Reaction score
I bet these bent rifles are happening in that awful packaging. I just checked mine and the rifle is bent, but just barely - enough that it's not a problem for me.

That said I took a closer look at the strap and sure enough it was snapped on one side and hanging on by a thread on the other. I barely touched it and it popped right off.
Man, so sorry to hear this. At least mine is in one piece.

Reaction score
Well said , this exactly sums up where I am at this moment too. Maybe for most of us here as well?

With respect to the decals you could try giving the bust a spray with :"Testors dullcote spray". It will take the obvious shine off of them when compared to the paint application. Having had to repair and repaint the visor on my Shoretrooper bust, I used this to make the finished paint job more uniform over the whole bust. It didn't affect anything on the rest of the bust (decals/paint).
As for the actual paint application and packaging, its terrible. Really hope you are all right and this is a rush job for SDCC.
Thank you for the recommendation on what to do with the shiny stickers, David. I think I will do that and get the spray tomorrow. I agree the way the whole thing looks, feels this was a rushed job to get the mini busts out for SDCC. Whatever happened when getting things finished for its release, some wrong decisions were made. I'm only hoping our comments here are being taken under account, and they can see there's an overall disappointment with what we got thus they can apply that to the improvement of future releases. A company is only as good as the product they release, and in the end the consumer has the last word with his/her wallet.

Reaction score

That sucks! I hope you get a replacement for it soon enough. It's pretty much obvious at this point the issues with the rifle and fragile strap around that area is mainly due to the poorly engineered Stryrofoam tray not having enough strength to protect the bust, and quite tight around it as well, putting pressure on the rifle and other surrounding fragile areas. Now the sloppy paint job on the helmet, well, that's a different issue.

Reaction score
Man, I'm sorry to hear about all of the issues everyone seems to be having with this one. Mine arrived last week (#339/750) and after careful inspection, I can confirm that the rifle is perfectly straight and there are zero paint application issues aside from the glaringly obvious stickers that have already been pointed out. I do agree that this new packaging is going to result in a lot of broken products going forward as it doesn't have nearly the same strength as the previous Styrofoam shells that we're used to. I didn't open mine up right away after it arrived, but the first thing I thought was...man, this is a light box. Thankfully, the bust itself seems to carry the same typical weight of all the others. I also agree that the printing on the bottom of the bust is very plain and now, different than all of the other pieces that have come before it.
Good for you, Chris! You've got a hold of one of the good ones. Yes the packaging definitely needs improvement, needs to have more strength to protect the product in it. When I got home the other day and my wife handed me the parcel with the bust in it, I felt the same way as you did. I was thinking to myself how light it was and wondering if they had used something else other than Polystone to make it. But, it does have the same weight as any other mini bust, and the overall sculpting is fine. It's just the packaging, stickers, bottom of the base and paint application on the helmet where things went down south. Hopefully those issues are just a thing of the past with the upcoming releases.