Star Wars comics returning to Marvel

Reaction score
I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed to hear that. I thought Dark Horse was a solid publisher who released some quality series and help expand and explore the star wars universe. I'm guessing we'll see at some point Star Wars: Zombies, Dark Star Wars, Star Wars Infinity (wars, gauntlet, etc)...and an appearance by Stan "The Man" Lee.

Reaction score
Disappointed but inevitable. I just hope Marvel don't get silly and don't restrict their focus to Rebels, the OT and the new movies.

Reaction score
Ugh. This is just wretched news. Just posted this on Dark Horse's blog:

This is horrible, horrible news. Marvel NEVER "got" Star Wars. I could forgive their gonzo post-ANH material because no one really had a lock on what Star Wars was at that point, but even after Empire deepened the saga, Marvel's stories stayed silly and juvenile right up through the end of their run. I can't say everything you guys put out was A+ material, but it was ALL 100% Star Wars. I'm gutted. Anyway, spilt milk. Thanks for all the great memories, Mike et al.

Reaction score
Can't say I'm surprised, expected this as soon as Lucas sold SW to Disney. Sad news as Dark Horse has given us some awesome SW comics over the years and introduced many of my favourite SW characters ... RIP Kerra Holt :(

However I grew up with the Marvel SW comics, and they form an important part of my love of SW. I don't really want to see a SW/Avengers cross over or anything like that, and I don't expect it. It never happened before on Marvel's stewardship, but this opens up the possibility :(

It would be a nice gesture from Marvel to keep some of the Dark Horse era SW characters in print.

Also I would be over the moon if Marvel brought back some of the SW characters from it's first spell with SW such as Dani and Kiro, I miss them! How cool would a backstory to Valance the bounty hunter be?

Sad day, but I'm not without hope

Reaction score
Dark Horse has been the perfect house for Star Wars. Year after year they've been keeping it vital and interesting, and I have no doubt they could have told another 20 years' worth of engaging stories. Nice that they're going out on top, with "Star Wars" and "The Star Wars" as big successes. At least they get one more year to tie up loose ends-- mainly we need conclusions to Dark Times, Dawn of the Jedi, and the fledgling Legacy II. They'll each go out with a bang, no doubt. I'm skeptical over whether Marvel will be able to lavish half that level of care & attention to detail. Mighty big shoes to fill.

Reaction score
Well, there's the end of an era, Dark Horse has done a phenomenal job over the years at bringing us fantastic stories from all different eras of the Star Wars universe and I doubt anyone will ever forget the huge contributions that Dark Horse has done to expand our understanding and appreciation of the Star Wars universe. Now I just hope that they are able to finish their current series all on high notes before 2015.

I also have to say, I do not envy Marvel at all, they have huge shoes to fill when they take over in 2015, but I don't think we can judge them yet until they actually start to produce something. Sure, the original Marvel line was cheesy and many hate it, but maybe now, after having Dark Horse as role models, will be able to produce something on par with the likes of Dawn of the Jedi or Legacy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What a way to ring in the new year. Get ready for obnoxious Marvel to start with their bragging and raping of the line.

Reaction score
What a sad day. I will wait and see on what Marvel does. I'm not assuming it will be bad. But I don't for a second think anything that came before will continue or matter. It will be a clean slate.

I'm very, very sad Star Wars Legacy will be over.

Reaction score
I have nothing good to say about this. I'm not looking forward to the sequels, the tv show Rebels, and now Marvel Star Wars. I don't like anything Marvel has done since the late 90's, as far as what they think storytelling is about. All the reinventing and retelling of origins and updating of things. If the plan for Star Wars is to reinvent the EU post RotJ, both in the movies, comics, and any novels that may come out, I don't plan on following any of it.
I guess I'll get to save a lot of money, and luckily my collection is sizeable enough today to be enjoyed for many years into the future.

Maybe Marvel can tell good stories and present good art. I happen to like most of the Dark Horse stories and art, and some writers/artists there have done some definitive work that I wouldn't want to see someone else's interpretation of, period. Be it at Marvel or even Dark Horse itself.
Jan Duursema and John Ostrander are the definitive Star Wars creative team in my opinion.
If things are lucky enough to have Marvel continue off of Dark Horse's work, and these two aren't doing any of it, that'll be wrong.
And anything that rewrites the current EU will just be wrong period. For me.
I really see nothing good coming from Disney owned Star Wars, nothing of what I've liked and collected.
I'll still wait for the day when things are announced, what content future stories will contain, but anything new that doesn't attempt to work with the bulk of the established EU is not what I want to follow.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What a sad day. I will wait and see on what Marvel does. I'm not assuming it will be bad. But I don't for a second think anything that came before will continue or matter. It will be a clean slate.

I'm very, very sad Star Wars Legacy will be over.

Yeah you never know. It could be great. I will wait to pass judgement.

Reaction score
It's really a *****slap to the face of Dark Horse after 23+ years publishing. 24 if you count the Indiana Jones & The Fate Of Atlantis mini with Lucasfilm the year before Dark Empire #1 came out. It really is the worst news to come out of comic land.

Look at the reactions in the past few hours already from fans. I don't see one positive reaction yet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's really a *****slap to the face of Dark Horse after 23+ years publishing. 24 if you count the Indiana Jones & The Fate Of Atlantis mini with Lucasfilm the year before Dark Empire #1 came out. It really is the worst news to come out of comic land.

Look at the reactions in the past few hours already from fans. I don't see one positive reaction yet.
Just give it time, I am sure all the Jaxxon fans will rush in and proclaim this as the beginning of a bright new future for Star Wars comics.

Reaction score
I hope they wrap up loose ends and push out the omnibus editions fast and hard. I still want jedi vs sith, heir to the emp trilogy, dark emp trilogy, and the classic sw newspaper strips to get the omnibus treatment :/

Reaction score
I'll take any Jaxxxons or Hoojib re-interpretations by Dark Horse any day. By Marvel? There's nothing new they have to add or offer.

This is just going to be StarWars saving and boosting Marvel Comics' publishing arm again:

Jim Shooter: Roy Thomas Saved Marvel

Reaction score
It is early to pass judgement, but I will most likely not buy any SW from marvel. I buy a few marvel comics, but even then, nothing screams potential SW. Granted different franchises, but the EU is (for the most part) a cohesive universe. Sad day indeed. Dark Times still remains as my favourite comic to buy.

Anyone else liking what Image has been putting out?

Reaction score
I was really liking the ongoing. I kind of hope they leave it open ended to come back to it in the future if the planets align correctly. Wonder what their plan for it is. There's another 12 issues they can get out unless they go biweekly, please do, and maybe they can tell some good stories that at least lead up to ESB. Can't remember if the plan for the ongoing is to retell everything after ANH or just between the movies. Biweekly would be great. Get as much out as possible in the next year, Dark Horse.

Only sliver of light is if Chris Bachalo does a miniseries at some point. I really like his art, and some SW characters in his style could be cool. No hope for any sort of cohesive storytelling from them.

Reaction score
Re-posting a response I recently made on the Dark Horse website:

I think we all knew this was coming - the news is extremely unfortunate, but not at all unexpected. Since Disney owns Marvel, I knew something like this was going to happen when Disney bought Lflm. in October 2012.

Too bad, since I have fond memories of getting back into comic collecting (after a roughly five-year hiatus) with Dark Empire I #1, in early 1992. This led to collecting the other DH-produced Star Wars comics, Grendel: War Child, etc. Dark Horse soon came to be my favorite comic book company out there.

Here are some of my favorite DH SW comics from the past 20+ years - note this list is not at all comprehensive:

Dark Empire I & II: These superb mini-series were definitely instrumental in bringing attention back to the SW universe in the early-mid '90's.

Classic Star Wars, by Williamson/Goodwin: I had never read these strips before, so it was great to read them for the first time, in color no less.

Classic Star Wars, by Russ Manning: Excellent stories & art, with a very Flash Gordon-esque quality.

Kudos to DH for taking the time & effort to reprint the above newspaper strips for us fans. I don't believe that Marvel would have bothered to do this...

The first 1-2 Tales of the Jedi series, with the characters Nomi Sunrider & Uliq Qel-Droma; much of this art was by Chris Gosset. I remember driving through a snowstorm to a comic store in order to get one of these issues back in the day; I believe it was the one with the Hutt on the cover. Great stuff.

Crimson Empire I & II (haven't read III yet): Great series, which shed light on previously unknown characters. The art was amazing as well.

Don't know whether I will collect Marvel's forthcoming Star Wars comics - I don't want to discount them without seeing them, but I'm not that enthusiastic about the Sequel Trilogy (Episodes 7-9) or the spin-off films. So, my interest in them is already minimal....

Dark Horse, Thanks very much for all the time, dedication, and effort you took into producing SW comics for the past 20+ years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Taking a wait and see on this...Marvel may just bring the DH writers/artists over. Who knows? it's not like they have a bunch of people sitting around doing nothing waiting to ruin Star Wars.

I'm not a huge Marvel apologist (I mainly read 60's/70's stuff anyway), but to say they've done nothing good in the last several years is simply wrong. Off the top of my head - the whole Hawkeye series, the recent Daredevil stuff, most of the Superior Spider-Man series and a lot of the GotG/Nova/Thanos Cosmic stuff is all at least good and some of it is fantastic.

Sure, alot of the Avengers/X-Men stuff is junk, but just to assume that any Marvel Star Wars series won't be good overly reactionary.

Reaction score
Hey Pedro, are you by any chance "chaosyoshimage" over in the Dark Horse forums? I'm having this same "Marvel doesn't do anything good" discussion over there and that poster just listed basically the exact same books you list as being the good ones. Now I'm starting to think I should check them out! LOL!

I'll continue to think Dark Horse > Marvel though :whistling:

Reaction score
I have a strong preference for Dark Horse as a publisher and I read a lot of their books, Star Wars and Non-Star Wars alike (everything Mignola) and because they are such strong promoters of creator-owned titles and are kind of the biggest indie publishing company in the industry, I like them both for their principles and their books.

I've got to agree with Pedro though that to say Marvel publishes nothing worthwhile does a huge disservice to the creators who work there. I read two Marvel comics every month - Hawkeye and Daredevil. I haven't been into superhero comics in a long time for all the same reasons everyone typically sites, but these two books are top notch; solid storytelling and art every month and frankly they're a bit unlike your typical superhero stories.

I'm saddened that this is Dark Horse's last year publishing Star Wars comics, but I knew it was coming and will reserve judgment until I see what Marvel plans to offer. There just might be something good to come of it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh no the news I've been dreading, this deal really is getting worse all the time! I'm gunna take this point to stop getting the individual issues, I'm running out of space and need to cut back on spending anyway. Depending on the reviews I may not bother with the TPB's either, it would be a good point to get out all together if I'm going to, and just focus on getting the missing issues from my DH collection.

Really hope this doesn't spell bad news Del Rey, I hope they get to continue the EU in the their own timeline separate to the new movies, at least give us Sword of the Jedi to wrap things up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll probaly miss Dark Times and Dawn of the Jedi most. Even if they bring over DH artists and writers, Marvel has the final say. So who knows how different they'll handle it than DH.

Reaction score
I do think Marvel has some great talent. I think Fraction and Hickman and a few others would be great storytellers in Star Wars. I also think pretty soon they will announce a complete reboot of the continuity with everything before that took place after ROTJ being "Lucas" Star Wars era and they will just start over. All the rest of the books this year were already cancelled. And to be honest. It's not what I want or what others want but it does make complete sense. With the amount of movies and TV shows coming things are about to go crazy with new stories. And I think we will see a LOT of these characters down the road in movies anyway. Just not the same stories.

Reaction score
Ugh. This is just wretched news. Just posted this on Dark Horse's blog:

This is horrible, horrible news. Marvel NEVER "got" Star Wars. I could forgive their gonzo post-ANH material because no one really had a lock on what Star Wars was at that point, but even after Empire deepened the saga, Marvel's stories stayed silly and juvenile right up through the end of their run. I can't say everything you guys put out was A+ material, but it was ALL 100% Star Wars. I'm gutted. Anyway, spilt milk. Thanks for all the great memories, Mike et al.
Much of the "gonzo" stuff ran because there was something of a hands-off period for Luke immediately after the ANH adaptation. The Drexel arc was quite good. The run between TESB and ROTJ was magnificent in both art and story.

Reaction score
I wonder if this makes DOTJ and Legacy soon to be extinct, and possibly retconned out of existence.

Reaction score
Sad news, but knew it was bound to happen sooner or later. :'(

THANK THE FORCE FOR DARK HORSE!

One positive that might come out of this news: maybe we'll see Dustin Weaver working on
a Star Wars comic again?!! I hope so.

Last edited:
Reaction score
im glad im not the only one feeling negative about this....

with the way lucasfilm ran roughshod over the eu with the clone wars tv series i fear we will see the same with rebels and the new trilogy and the new comics.
i always lived the fact that it was all one continuty -save some of the really out there marvel stuff and that appears to be toast.

sadly new to the eu people will be getting a contunity based on the new films etc and will probably lap it up. old gits like me arent catered for.

really quite upset to be honest.

Reaction score
I look at it as stories are stories. If they're good, great. If not I have lots of good stories to read. DH has had some stinkers too. You can't compare the Marvel 70s stories to today's. The whole tone of the industry has changed. It will be okay. The question now is do I set up a subscription through tfaw.com for every new Star Wars title? :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I use the Dark Horse & Comixology apps to read my comics. Since Comixology has Marvel, hopefully, they'll release them onto there. I'm not huge into comics but enjoy reading them. Having these apps makes it easy to keep track & buy new ones when they're released.

Reaction score
^Same here, I use the DH app to read the comics on my tablet. I like being able to buy only the comics I want, instead of having to pay a subscription for ones I don't read.
Plus DH often has sales and I can get them for $.99!

Reaction score
I look at it as stories are stories. If they're good, great. If not I have lots of good stories to read. DH has had some stinkers too. You can't compare the Marvel 70s stories to today's. The whole tone of the industry has changed. It will be okay. The question now is do I set up a subscription through tfaw.com for every new Star Wars title? :)
it is true that DH arent perfect but as i said ive always enjoyed the one continuinty thing is i fear is now dead and buried ( havig been stabbed by the clone wars tv).
it killed my reading spiderman and it killed the dc universe for me as well.

i dont mind reinvention ie the current marvel films or mini series like "the star wars" but.......

Reaction score
The Marvel run was, in a word--awful. The only good comics were the Ep 5 and Ep6 adaptations and the art from ESB to ROTJ. From right out the gate, the title was a mess. The ANH adaptation was so awful that DH felt compelled to redo it. Nobody writing the series had any feel for the franchise, and most of the ANH era art was terrible. (I'm a fan of Carmine Infantino, but he didn't try to make the tech look anything like the movie. Lazy slop.) After ROTJ was released the series devolved into something so off the mark, so dreadful in its approach, that I quit buying the series (I picked them up later, after it was cancelled; and yes, they were progressively worse to the end). It was a tragedy that the last two years had the words "Star Wars" on the cover.

Dark Horse showed from the outset that they understood what fans wanted. I've enjoyed all the OT era stuff they produced. This is a sad day for Star Wars comics.

I have zero, absolutely zero faith that the Marvel comics will be half as good as what Dark Horse has done. I shudder to think what the House of Bendis will do to the franchise. Comic after comic of endless chattering, decompressed stories to the point they aren't stories anymore (just scene after scene after scene until it mercifully ends with everybody confused and glad to just move on).

This news might have been inevitable, but it isn't good. We're going from dedication-to-the-franchise and loyalty-to-fans to merely corporate product hashed out for a buck. Marvel's not capable of making a faithful Star Wars comic. Heck, they're incapable of being faithful to their OWN characters and storylines!

Reaction score
To reiterate what was said on other forums:

*This is an opportunity for Marvel to do what no other EU publication has had the opportunity to do in the past. Produce material that is canon to the new sequel trilogy. I'm excited for material that we know will be canon indefinitely.

If, on the other hand, they put out comics that end up being obsoleted by the sequel trilogy I will be very disappointed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As long as there's no Veitch and Kennedy to **** up the line from the beginning...good riddance, Dark Horse. In 25 years the only thing you've done that appears to be worth any of my time at all is The Star Wars.

Reaction score
The Marvel run was, in a word--awful. The only good comics were the Ep 5 and Ep6 adaptations and the art from ESB to ROTJ. From right out the gate, the title was a mess. The ANH adaptation was so awful that DH felt compelled to redo it. Nobody writing the series had any feel for the franchise, and most of the ANH era art was terrible. (I'm a fan of Carmine Infantino, but he didn't try to make the tech look anything like the movie. Lazy slop.) After ROTJ was released the series devolved into something so off the mark, so dreadful in its approach, that I quit buying the series (I picked them up later, after it was cancelled; and yes, they were progressively worse to the end). It was a tragedy that the last two years had the words "Star Wars" on the cover.

Dark Horse showed from the outset that they understood what fans wanted. I've enjoyed all the OT era stuff they produced. This is a sad day for Star Wars comics.
Well said! There's too much reverence online towards the old Marvel comics because of nostalgia.