Star Wars Celebration Anaheim - April 16-19, 2015

Reaction score
You are entitled to an opinion just like everyone else. There were more then 3-4 pop up bars and the possibility of people getting rowdy with alcohol increases. You already had a poorly organized and run convention, then add alcohol that can be bad.
I passed two bars the whole time i was there! one person serving not exactly heading to an alcohol frenzy! saw NO rowdy people!! did any one else!! doubt it! adults should be able to behave and act like adults and not dictated too

Reaction score
I think the bars were poor choice, considering the amount of children present. Save that for the after parties. It's a SW convention not Grassroots.

Reaction score
I had no problem with the bar setup. There were bar setups at many child friendly locations like Disney's California Adventure and Downtown Disney which were a stones throw from the Convention.

Moderation is the key. It's knowing when is enough and when it's the time and place to act like a fool.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, its all a moot point. Saying bars were a "poor choice" or in "bad taste" because of kids is irrelevant because its all based on a hypothetical situation that didn't happen. I enjoyed my 1 beer and made sure not to spill it on any children or collectibles, although the Hoth bar in Orlando was way cooler. In my opinion it was worse to walk out to the outside courtyard area in the middle of the hall to eat and suck in everyone's second hand smoke. Just my feelings, but I digress.

Reaction score
I have to say I was surprised to see the bars at the convention but it didn't phase me at all. I think the only time I had a drink was while waiting in the endless long line at the Celebration Store on the first day. 3.5 hours was insane.

I was shaking my head watching the people starting to drink at 10:00am in the morning. that was insane.

so rumors are pointing that CVIII will be coming back to Orlando? is this true? does anyone have information on this? I missed the closing ceremony as I wanted to hit up Disneyland before heading home.

Reaction score
It would be mobbed. Everyone who was anyone would want to be there. I think the experience would be a let down.

Now if they had different themed bars/eateries throughout...Jabba's Palace, Dexter's Diner, Cloud City Dinning room, etc it may help with the crowds.

Reaction score
I saw no problems with people having a drink, my concern is the space the bars took up, AND the additional lines that were forming on the show floor. The Hoth bars would have been a better idea outside the show floor, on level 2 or level 3.

Reaction score
I saw no problems with people having a drink, my concern is the space the bars took up, AND the additional lines that were forming on the show floor. The Hoth bars would have been a better idea outside the show floor, on level 2 or level 3.
I agree, I think it should have been off the main show floor. The hoth bar at CV and VI were tasteful and out of the main drag. I think that is the better option. I also like the idea of theming them. That's a lot of work but you can't say it's not possible for them to do. A cantina, jabbed palace and dexters diner themed rooms would be amazing.

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the final count of tickets sold for Celebration Anaheim was??? I know at the Disney D23 Convention, they capped the ticket sales at 48,000 in 2013.

Reaction score
Since you put it that way, I totally agree! That floor was somewhat cramped in places to say the least.

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the final count of tickets sold for Celebration Anaheim was??? I know at the Disney D23 Convention, they capped the ticket sales at 48,000 in 2013.
The only thing I've ever found is from the Los Angeles Times. They list it as 60,000 in two articles: Star Wars Celebration complete coverage: Every video, image and story from the fan expo | Hero Complex – movies, comics, pop culture – Los Angeles Times and Star Wars Celebration shows the Force remains irresistible | Hero Complex – movies, comics, pop culture – Los Angeles Times

Reaction score
I've seen people at Cons over the years just be terrible because that is the default setting of their personalities.

I've seen mild mannered people at Bills games turn into maniacs when excessive alcohol was consumed.

It cuts both ways.

A better organized convention will help keep the impulses of both the drunk and the dbags in check. This Celebration was very loosely organized. Be it luck or some other factor there do not seem to be any stories hitting the nets stating that there were numerous terrible things at the show.

Reaction score
No offense intended towards all the kindly volunteers, but the whole reason the Celebration Store check out line lasted hours was because they had no cashiering experience.
Why on EARTH would they throw untrained/inexperienced people behind the registers at a thing like this? It's beyond me, and even though I wasn't even there, it's frustrating to read about. Absolutely nuts.
Here was the main issue.

The store was set up with registers running over a wireless network.
They did not drop LAN lines.
Dumbest move ever.

The Hoth bar was lots of fun a few celebrations back.
I agree. It was quite the experience and fun to hang out there. I would have liked to see something like that.

Reaction score
I think the Hoth bar would have been one more thing for us to complain about at this show. I didn't go to CVI, but I was at CV and as I recall it was hard to get around/get a drink in the Hoth bar. Considering that there were probably 50% more people at C-Anaheim, it probably would've been a two hour wait to get into the Hoth bar. lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reedpop needed to use the whole convention center to spread out the crowd some more. Hopefully they will learn before the next time it is held in Anaheim.
Well, the only thing they didn't use was the section on the arena side, wasn't it? They didn't put anything in the space at the other end because they were using that to line people up in the morning, which while it was frustrating for those of us standing outside, was smart in retrospect.

Reaction score
Well, the only thing they didn't use was the section on the arena side, wasn't it? They didn't put anything in the space at the other end because they were using that to line people up in the morning, which while it was frustrating for those of us standing outside, was smart in retrospect.
They used hall d for morning line up, below hall d is another 200,000 sq ft hall e that they only used for the Wednesday overnight line up. Plus not all of hall d was used, they just didn't manage all the space available effectively.

Reaction score
I'm not a prude or anything but I thought selling alcohol was ridiculous. Other than maybe being frustrated by lines - who needs to drink during a convention? Want a beer with lunch? Leave and go get one. They didn't need bars throughout the convention center. I assume that was the convention center itself and hopefully not something Reed wanted bc it as unnecessary.
That's pretty Puritan. Until reading the comments here, I never would have given the presence of alcohol at the Celebration another thought, even if I had my son in tow.

Reaction score
That's pretty Puritan. Until reading the comments here, I never would have given the presence of alcohol at the Celebration another thought, even if I had my son in tow.
It was surprising to me, but then again I'm from Canada. Its bad enough negotiating through oblivious crowds, without having to deal with inebriated and I saw quite a few. The same kind of people you see lined up at the show start in the food court? lol

Reaction score
Funny... I'm not Puritan at all. Nor do I think what I said was Puritanical. I'm not against alcohol - I enjoy it myself. I just thought it was an odd setting for alcohol to be sold. It definitely wasn't necessary. Now I'm also one of those guys that shakes their head when I'm at a football game and see people buying beer two-cups at a time (for $7+) and spend half the game either in line getting more or in line to the bathroom. I just didn't think it was necessary at this particular convention... not because I want it outlawed or banned or anything.

Certainly didn't ruin my experience and I didn't rant/rave/complain about it anywhere except in my post here.

Reaction score
i didn't see any problem with this people should be able to do what they like and as I said saw nobody under the influence

Reaction score
had much more of a problem with the smoking out by the food court would have been far more concerned for my child by that!! hey passive cancer well we
can't see it so hey!

Reaction score
had much more of a problem with the smoking out by the food court would have been far more concerned for my child by that!! hey passive cancer well we
can't see it so hey!
Yeah I agree. Sucking in cigarette smoke is far more offensive than "perceived" drunkenness.

Reaction score
I'm all for it returning to Orlando. Of all the venues so far, Anaheim was definitely my favorite, but Orlando is a close 2nd.

Reaction score
I would also like to see it return to Orlando. I loved Anaheim but the crowds were starting to get too big for Reed/Lucasfilm to handle. I would have to imagine that the attendance from the local population would continue to be much less in Florida than it was in California.

Reaction score
Personally I'd love for it to come to NYC at the Javits Center as it's only 1 hour by train for me but if I had to travel I'd prefer Orlando (this way I can drive....especially after the horrible ordeal I experienced with FedEx)

Reaction score
The Orlando Convention Center definitely felt more spacious than Anaheim. Heck, there was even room left to expand there, whereas Anaheim was filled to bursting.

Reaction score
If we can only choose between Orlando and Anaheim... I definitely choose Orlando over Anaheim, because the travel and lodging costs are cheaper, leaving more to spend at Celebration.

Last edited:
Reaction score
We shouldn't have to choose between Orlando and Anaheim, there are Disney resorts on the West and the East coast, and they EACH need their own dedicated Star Wars Weekends events. All Disney does is say how they're expanding the Star Wars universe, that means more fans, more fans means there needs to be more fan events. Any Star Wars fan could have told you Anaheim was going to over crowded; it was the first West coast event in years, and it also happens to be a movie year. This franchise was born in California, and needs a stronger CA presence.

Reaction score
I Will ALWAYS choose California over Florida any day. The Weather is ALWAYS Better and I find there is more for my family and I to do in California. I do feel that the Celebrations should be every 3 years.

Reaction score
I prefer Orlando, far cheaper cost of living. I can also drive which means I save even more. I can bring more and buy more. I thought the weather was better in Orlando. I about froze in the morning waiting in line at Anahiem. It's fine if they alternate east to west coast.....but the current frequency for Celebrations works for me.

Reaction score
I prefer Orlando, far cheaper cost of living. I can also drive which means I save even more. I can bring more and buy more. I thought the weather was better in Orlando. I about froze in the morning waiting in line at Anahiem. It's fine if they alternate east to west coast.....but the current frequency for Celebrations works for me.
You about froze in anaheim? Where are you from the Sahara desert? It was maybe mid 60s in the mornings. No way in heck can you say the weather in Orlando is better. Every day at C5 I was drenched in sweat walking back to my hotel. Yes it is cheaper but there are more interesting things to do in California.