Star Wars Authentics

Reaction score
One other thing you have to think about is that guaranteed we would get a customs charge on anything coming in unless it was under £30. I get so many custom charges now it really hikes up the price of items.
I know Graham, it's a killer. Either way you're screwed!

Reaction score
I hadn't considered customs charges either...

I thought 'printed matter' was exempt from such charges, but I know I've been hit with charges on similar items coming from outside the EU.

Reaction score
I hadn't considered customs charges either...

I thought 'printed matter' was exempt from such charges, but I know I've been hit with charges on similar items coming from outside the EU.
I've been hit with charges every time I've bought photos off OPX, so cannot see it being any different here. Only way around it was to find a friend in US and see if they can place the order for you, get it posted to them and then send it on as a gift with a cheaper total charge on it.

Reaction score
I've done that regularly with orders from the States, and get them to put a low value on the parcel. I've been lucky so far, and with some pricey orders too, but if it goes missing you ain't got a leg to stand on. But it tends to be Royal Mails add on that tends to hike the Customs fee up (on smaller orders), as they pay to release your items, so the Customs isn't too bad.

If it could be split 4-5 ways then thats acceptable, even with the customs fee. Depends on international postage though! Does anyone know how much it is?

Reaction score
For 8x10's Im getting

1 - $40
5 - $48
15 - $68
20 - $78

So yeah, depends on how many ordered I guess...

Reaction score
Only way around it was to find a friend in US and see if they can place the order for you, get it posted to them and then send it on as a gift with a cheaper total charge on it.
That's exactly why I'm looking for a friendly US scummer :) Shipping to Switzerland is crazy (11 photos => $66 o-o).

Reaction score
It's the BS Royal Mail handling charge that winds me up the most. Had something a little while ago with a £2 customs charge and an £8+ Royal Mail "handling" fee.

Reaction score
It's the BS Royal Mail handling charge that winds me up the most. Had something a little while ago with a £2 customs charge and an £8+ Royal Mail "handling" fee.
That's what I mean Matt, if they didn't charge that crap handling fee, most purchases under £100 wouldn't be as bad to import!

Reaction score
Sometimes it's the luck of the draw. I remember my first Ford auto getting through fine, the second one I got stung for £70.

Reaction score
I got lucky on a big ticket item once as well.... $450 for a photo? Must be $4.50 so nothing due!

Reaction score
Topps Star Wars Authentics

Big sale this weekend on autographs for Dads & Grads...I saw some as low as $65. Happy spending.

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered Felicity, Tudyk and Yen. Never ordered from them before so i hope the packaging is ok coming across the pond

Reaction score
Their shipping doesn’t sound good based on older comments in this thread.

Does anyone know if they’ve since gotten their act together or if they package the signed photos better than non-signed?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Excellent--I just placed my first order with them. 2 Boyegas & a Herring.

I wound up with 2 auth charges on my card--1 for the total cost of the order & 1 for $4.

I'm assuming the $4 one is the "let's make sure this card you added is good" auth? I can't say I've ever seen one of those for so much though.

EDIT: As an aside, does anyone know how to erase the credit card from my account? "Update Billing Info" just allows for an update, not a removal.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is anyone who ordered & received theirs able to shed some light on the packaging?
I received mine today and it was in a big box wrapped in bubble wrap. The autographs were in a hard plastic (like Official Pix), wrapped in brown paper, taped to a piece of cardboard. The box had several layers of tape and several Fragile stickers on it.

The box took a hit to the side from FedEx but the pictures were safe.

Reaction score
Their selection of dual signed pics of Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver is lacking. There's so many good shots of the two from The Last Jedi that I would buy in a heartbeat.

Reaction score
Billy Dee for 69.99...Felicity Jones @50% off. Who needs to stand in line at Celebration?!

Reaction score
Their selection of dual signed pics of Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver is lacking. There's so many good shots of the two from The Last Jedi that I would buy in a heartbeat.
Yes, but when I inquired about the lack of publicity shots from TLJ...and the over abundance of screen frame captures...they said it was Lucasfilm’s fault.

Reaction score
Received my Solo 8x10’s today via FedEx SmartPost...great packing, but they didn’t need to tape them inside a bigger box...that’s asking for trouble.

Reaction score
Got my signed pic order today.

The toploaders that they use are fairly flimsy. In the way they use them, I don't anticipate any issues with that, but they're nothing I'd reuse if I needed a sense of stability. About two of them together come to the same thickness as the ones I'm used to using.

Also, and this goes beyond SWA (though they're equally guilty of it), for whatever reason, the new trend is to eschew the soft sleeves and just stick the photos directly into the toploader.

I'm not a fan of this method. For one thing, the plastic of the toploader sometimes causes a static cling, which makes the photo "stick". The soft sleeve eliminates that & is easily removable from the toploader (and there's no such issue that I've ever encountered between the photo and the soft sleeve).

For another, the soft sleeve is usually safer for storage. Toploaders are often made of/with some form of PVC, whereas soft sleeves are generally acid & PVC free and made of the same material that the good binder pages are made of. Short term, it's not really a problem, but long term, it can cause some issues. Plus, it's just a good habit to keep, wherever possible.

And it's not like it's drastically more expensive. Packs of UltraPro 8x10 soft sleeves can be had on eBay for roughly $0.10/sleeve. I assume a company like SWA, whose bread and butter is 8x10s, can get a far better wholesale deal than that.

Aside from that "issue", the packaging was pretty good. If nothing else, my order arrived in tact & in the promised condition.

For anyone who hasn't yet ordered signed pics, one slightly annoying element is that autographs are sent "Direct Signature Required", which means you can't "pre-sign" to authorize delivery. You have to physically be there for delivery or go pick it up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And even worse... a toploader with no sleeve underneath can pull off some of the autograph too. It's more likely to happen with glossy photos, but I had it happen with one matte photo too.

Reaction score
I've heard that, but it's (luckily) yet to happen to me.

As such, I wasn't sure if it was an ink/photo treatment issue (like how silver Sharpie never "sets" on inkjet prints), in which case even the sleeve would rub/pull the signature, or if it's a problem with the plastics and the ink, in which case it's probably the best reason to use a soft sleeve layer.

Reaction score
Hello.
My experience was alright overall.

I bought two duel photos.

Came in great shape.

My only problem is that there was a sale afterwards.

For me, I would only buy those who usually doesn't do any or few conventions.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Ben Mendelsohn(Rogue One) autographs now up at site.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got my second order of signed pics.

This one (apparently) came from a different warehouse location than the first, and was packed differently.

My first order was two toploaders inside a sealed paper "envelope" and put in a box cushioned by cardboard and bubblewrap.

This time, the toploaders were taped between two pieces of cardboard, then sealed inside the paper envelope, which was, itself, taped down to the packaging.

ETA: Still no soft sleeves though...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just received an order I placed for 25 UltraPro toploaders from a hobby supply store--now I know where SWA gets their stock from... Not sure why UltraPro would make this change, considering the market for toploaders is to keep things rigid, but I digress.

Just wanted to let y'all know that if you ordered the "new" UltraPro 8x10 toploaders, this is what you'll end up with.

Reaction score
SW Authentics expensive shipping

I placed 4 framed 8x10 pictures in the cart and the shipping killed the deal. $47.00! They could eat that cost just like every other place I order anything from. No chance I will order from them. Do they ever offer free shipping?

Reaction score
not sure, i see holiday time sales & other than that discount codes here n there. I ordered a signed 8x10/no frame, and I couldn't have it left at my home even if i insisted, i had to be there and that is the only option so i had to drive an hour to get my $200+ order from the courier, they really need some refining IMO, god do I miss OPix, like terribly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I ended up buying just one as it didn't break the bank. I will watch for sales hopefully.

Reaction score
They could eat that cost just like every other place I order anything from.
Which places are you buying from that take a loss on shipping? I've never seen that.

I can imagine a number of places that build the cost of shipping into the item (in this case, maybe an extra $12 each), but in that situation, you're still paying the same amount.

Heck, I've done that myself in online sales. I can either sell you the item for $57 with free shipping, $55 with $2 shipping, or $50 with shipping at the $7 actual cost. You may think you're getting a deal when you get option 2 and end up with a $7 shipping job for ostensibly $2, but I can assure you, I didn't eat the cost of anything.

A lot of people would actually assume that the middle one is the better deal. In their mind, they know shipping is built into the first option, so they can be wary, as they can't see where the line is. In the third one, most people don't know the cost to ship things, so they think they're getting taken for a ride at $7. But for the middle one, $2 shipping sounds perfect. It seems even better when they get the item and find that it was actually a $7 shipping job. Then I become their favorite seller, because I upgraded their $2 shipping job to a $7 one out of my own pocket.

But there never was a $2 shipping job, and I didn't take it out of my own pocket--I took it out of theirs, no different than option 1 or 3.

Are there companies that will actually eat the cost of shipping? Probably. But, like I said, I've never seen it. And I don't envy the financial position that they'll be in after making a habit of it.

If you encounter it everywhere, then either you shop consistently with outliers or you're falling for the marketing hype.

With regard to SWA specifically, there's no value in paying full price. It's like a Pizza Hut or Domino's or whathaveyou. The stuff has a list price, but that list price was set with sales in mind. If it's not on sale, and it's in no danger of selling out, there's no real value benefit to buying it.