Star Trek Titanium or Micro Machine sized ships

Reaction score
Yup. If John Eaves said it, then I am sure at some point someone, probably a producer or art director, said it to him, but who knows where they got it from or in what context it was offered. I have heard similar stuff in my own profession as a concept artist, and usually it's because someone is trying to assert some creative influence and using a legal justification for their argument, whether real or not.

Disappointed to see those Disco era ships being used in Picard. Considering how quick they were in Disco to create new ships that are barely seen, it's surprising to me that they would so lazily reuse deisgns that are supposed to be a couple of hundred years old at this point. I am sure that in world justifications can be contrived, but we all know the real reason is they needed something quick and weren't wanting to spend more money at the time. I hope they don't do more of that. It undermines the integrity of the show, which i have to say is otherwise pretty freakin' awesome, so far. How are the rest of you finding it?

Reaction score
Indeed Rev, it is a bit jarring for us to see the DSC ships in use but I have a sneaking and sad suspicion that most Trekkies never even noticed. Just slap 'Taxi' or 'School Bus' on the side and Bob's yer uncle, shine 'em on. I totally agree that it undermines the integrity of the show, but then Trek's always been highly wobbly on model re-use, hasn't it. But we have our eye on 'em and we are most displeased, ain't we. ;)

Really enjoyed the premiere episode but to me, it has felt a bit talky, stretched out, and bogged down, pacing-wise, since. But hey, still enjoying seeing J-L back in action so I'll hang on and hope the slow setup pays off later in the season. Can't say I'm as enthused by it as much as The Mandalorian rocked my world, but it's still quite good, IMHO.

Reaction score
Wow, they all look fantastic! EM may be getting to the end of their run with the main line but they aren't shirking. These are awesome.

While the Disco era reuses are irksome, I have in general enjoyed the ships in the Picard series so far. Mild spoilers below ...

The La Sirena is a nice unique looking smaller craft, and I loved seeing the old Romulan BOP show up in what seemed to me to be a justifiable context. What a great looking update of the classic design. :) That should make a spectacular EM model eventually, and look killer alongside the Discoprise and Disco D-7. :D

Even with the reuses, I think for me it's the captial shops that are the only ones that really bug me. I don't mind seeing shuttles from the earlier era. particularly where they are commercial, nonStarfleet craft.

Reaction score
I'm quite liking Picard, love how they're picking up a LOT of threads from the assorted series, though the events for one familiar character in Ep5 was pretty sad.

I'm reallllllly hoping the Enterprise-E will show up. She's way too young to be out of service yet unless destroyed/damaged too severely. Also hoping for Geordi appearing as the captain of the USS Challenger ala Voyager ep Timeless.

Reaction score
So pleased to see the Husnock are making it to the EM party before last call. :) So many more who will miss, of course. Even with 180 regular issues, there are still gonna be notable exclusions. Given how many appearances they enjoyed, I did think the Hierarchy merited inclusion, for example.

Reaction score
Nice to see the Husnock get its turn, in its "lot meaner this time" variant as well. Wonder if there's any red/purple glowiness going on in an aft view of that ship.

I'm quite liking Picard, love how they're picking up a LOT of threads from the assorted series, though the events for one familiar character in Ep5 was pretty sad.

I'm reallllllly hoping the Enterprise-E will show up. She's way too young to be out of service yet unless destroyed/damaged too severely. Also hoping for Geordi appearing as the captain of the USS Challenger ala Voyager ep Timeless.
I'd like for those to show up as well, but have a bad feeling that the one dream sequence of Data in a First Contact-style uniform, the briefest glimpse of the model of the Ent-E in the storage vault and the holograms of the Ent-D and classic 1701 in the Starfleet HQ lobby are going to be among the few times we get to see the trappings of that era.

The first Romulan ship we see is a TOS Bird of Prey? They couldn't have designed something more like 24th century Romulan ships...?

Reaction score
I hear you, but at least there are modern Romulan ships in the show as well. :) We have glimpsed some flying around the cube, and I am sure we'll see more in time. I didn't mind the TOS BOP, especially given the context in which it appeared. And it was a beautiful-looking update, I thought. If it was the only Romulan ship I'd be ticked, but it's fun to know some of these old decommissioned warships are still kicking around in private hands. Outdated it might be, but I thought it worked as a threat for our crew in their nonStarfleet, unregistered small craft. Cool how it got carved up, too!

Reaction score
Looks like the COVID-19 virus is gonna play havoc with EM's shipping, they're stretching out Trek releases so it's gonna get fugly soon, methinks. On the flipside, I'm thinking that a longer journey will make 'em safer to touch. Are those famous last words?

Reaction score
So my store received 3 Eaglemoss Star Trek Starships today - 167, 168 and 169. I don't recall ever getting 164, 165 and 166. Was I not paying attention and missed those?!!

Reaction score
So my store received 3 Eaglemoss Star Trek Starships today - 167, 168 and 169. I don't recall ever getting 164, 165 and 166. Was I not paying attention and missed those?!!
Same here. Got the call last night. I wouldn't worry, this has been Eaglemoss' MO for some time now. They get what they have out and will catch up later.

Reaction score
Same here. Got the call last night. I wouldn't worry, this has been Eaglemoss' MO for some time now. They get what they have out and will catch up later.
Yep, so that's now 4 numbered issues that have gone MIA, it was the same at my shop.
My Suliban freighter has some serious wonk and will require surgery to fix the angle of all 6 pods on its X-axis, though it looked ok in the package and I was aware of the issue beforehand. Harrumph.

Also picked up a 4-inch Matchbox Enterprise shuttle at TRU for $4, not bad at all for the money. :)

sully6a.jpg

Reaction score
My pal Willard has started a petition for Ben Robinson and Eaglemoss to extend the regular (numbered) Starships Collection past 180 issues, which is a splendid idea, if you ask me. :cool:
If you're interested in offering your support, please join the petition here:

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hello Guys,
I figured this would be the best thread to do this, as most fans of minis are reading this.
Please make sure to follow the recommendations from the World Health Organization in relation with the current Covid-19 situation. Don't take the situation lightly please !
I'm in France, and most people are currently at home, as all non-essential businesses are closed until at least end of March, with rumors stating it will last longer. While it is not ideal, it is important to respect this to stop the spread of the virus, to protect those who do not have a strong health, and to avoid clogging emergency services. I understand that some countries do not have the social benefits that we have, and working is not an option, but a requirement for most people. Still, make sure to stay safe, and to follow the simple acts such as washing your hands regularly, avoiding contacts and promiscuity, limiting your mobility and taking care of your close ones.
Take this as an opportunity to rediscover simple things, such as time spent with your immediate family, watching movies, reading the book that has been on the shelf for months, building a Lego or swooshing your mini starships !
Make sure to get out of this healthy, so that we can keep discussing about all the minis afterwards :)

Reaction score
Good advice, thanks, Matt. :) Stay safe, friends!

Looking at those newest EM reveals, I think my stance in STO designs may be softening. While I am not a huge fan of how the ships look in the game, I have to say they do make for some beautiful miniatures.

Ugh, what is it with the Vidiians parking their ships backwards on their stands all the time? Is it a Delta vs Alpha Quadrant thing, like driving on the right or left?

Reaction score
Cheers, Matt. Stay safe!

Very cool news from EM today: Borg Cube is issue 180 (yay, First Contact flavour and regular sized! but all-plastic), USS Valiant (Defiant concept) and vertical Romulan Warbird are reconfirmed as upcoming Bonuses, and a NSEA Protector from Galaxy Quest is (likely) incoming. The CG assets for La Sirena and some other PIC ships have just been received by EM so expect 'em in a year.

Oh, and Ben confirmed that more (mostly TNG) ships of the week are coming, so maybe a few more holes in the collection will get some spackling. Not that EM has been anything other than amazing in their range of options so far.

Sad to see PIC end, I really enjoyed the season, despite some pacing wobbles. I really got quite wrapped up in it (and most of the new characters), and the finale was quite moving, sniffle. Looking forward to Season 2, bigly. :)

Reaction score
Sorry for my absence...lots going on both then, and especially now. :/

Can you link what sources you're referring to? There was a claim a while back that things had to be 25% different from the original and that was then shown to be incorrect, but I've not seen any new claims made after that was shown to be wrong. The original claim was from an artist regarding Star Trek Discovery and the differences there for the Enterprise and such, but the article about it was later updated to correct that information, as it was wrong. CBS stated that there is no requirement to be 25% different, as they own all the rights to those original designs - differences are simply the result of artistic license and to modernize things.

I've not seen any other claims about it and every mention i've seen about there being a 25% difference requirement seems to be referring to that same thing, despite it being wrong. It doesn't even make sense in the first place, as CBS own the copyright to it all, it was just the movie distribution rights that they didn't have.
I'll raise that it's a contentious issue, but I'll never say it's 100% true, or 100% wrong, as neither of us know that.

The "25% different" thing came from a (quickly deleted) post by John Eaves (re: part of his brief when he was asked to design DSC ships), and then the studio immediately and vociferously denied they'd asked for that. The supposed rationale behind the 25% has been the subject of much fan conjecture, but I tend to think it was a baseline they encouraged so that they can keep more of the royalties in the DSC piggy bank. But ultimately, CBS owns all of it (the movies now, too) so it's become a bit of a moot point, methinks. EM's Ben Robinson thinks the fan theories are a load of codswallop and are complete nonsense, fwiw. :)
I love Ben, but as a licensee, he's not often cited when folks talk about this issue, as they are talking production of the series, and those involved on that front.

Yup. If John Eaves said it, then I am sure at some point someone, probably a producer or art director, said it to him, but who knows where they got it from or in what context it was offered. I have heard similar stuff in my own profession as a concept artist, and usually it's because someone is trying to assert some creative influence and using a legal justification for their argument, whether real or not.
That's what seems to "hold water" for me, but the fact that it's consistently adhered to is what is what seems to tip the scale towards it being an active restriction. @Darkside_ObiWan should feel free pick to it apart to cite where he/she/they feel it's not true, of course.

Disappointed to see those Disco era ships being used in Picard. Considering how quick they were in Disco to create new ships that are barely seen, it's surprising to me that they would so lazily reuse deisgns that are supposed to be a couple of hundred years old at this point. I am sure that in world justifications can be contrived, but we all know the real reason is they needed something quick and weren't wanting to spend more money at the time. I hope they don't do more of that. It undermines the integrity of the show, which i have to say is otherwise pretty freakin' awesome, so far. How are the rest of you finding it?
Agreed on my front, and I have to admit the cheap/lazy argument is a good one. Why create a new mesh of a new period-accurate when it will cost more? Well, credulity, of course, but costs issues give other reasosn a run for their money.

Indeed Rev, it is a bit jarring for us to see the DSC ships in use but I have a sneaking and sad suspicion that most Trekkies never even noticed.
Not us! ;)

Just slap 'Taxi' or 'School Bus' on the side and Bob's yer uncle, shine 'em on. I totally agree that it undermines the integrity of the show, but then Trek's always been highly wobbly on model re-use, hasn't it. But we have our eye on 'em and we are most displeased, ain't we. ;)

Really enjoyed the premiere episode but to me, it has felt a bit talky, stretched out, and bogged down, pacing-wise, since. But hey, still enjoying seeing J-L back in action so I'll hang on and hope the slow setup pays off later in the season. Can't say I'm as enthused by it as much as The Mandalorian rocked my world, but it's still quite good, IMHO.
Agreed, that reuse is precedented, but shuttles seem a bit harder to believe to have survived. The Mandalorian does exceed Picard in many ways; much to my annoyance.

Now, that older topic out of the way... ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, lots to address...

ICYMI: Upcoming Tarellian Plague Ship (176), Sheliak Colony Ship (177), and the S31 4-nacelled large starship (28). :)

View media item 396392
Nonplussed on the S31 designs, I'm afraid, but the Tarellian ship was one of the more unique designs I thought we'd never see. Glad we are getting it!

The La Sirena is a nice unique looking smaller craft, and I loved seeing the old Romulan BOP show up in what seemed to me to be a justifiable context. What a great looking update of the classic design. :) That should make a spectacular EM model eventually, and look killer alongside the Discoprise and Disco D-7. :D
The La Sirena looks more STO somehow to me, but I will def get the thing. I like the fact a fair number of the new ships have non-Western names. That only makes sense, but it does tend to be a little lopsided towards those names; not so much mixed, and I'd really hoped a new USS Tian An Men would have appeared at some point. I think that really ought to have happened.

New Star Trek Online ships - I like them!!!!
Looking at those newest EM reveals, I think my stance in STO designs may be softening. While I am not a huge fan of how the ships look in the game, I have to say they do make for some beautiful miniatures.
Clipped the pics out, but they do look nice. I may be beginning to wear down on my resistance as well. ;)

Nice to see the Husnock warship, it's 178. Ack, only 2 more to go in the main line, sniffle. :(

View media item 396430
Lots of those about, I'd expect. Just one previous owner. ;)

I wish some of that came about...and that some characters were considered too important to meet the ends they did. Shame...

As for Geordi, a recnet radio interview with LeVar was a bit cryptic about any involvement (he did visit the set with Michael Dorn), and he was shown in the Countdown comic, so...S2...?

The first Romulan ship we see is a TOS Bird of Prey? They couldn't have designed something more like 24th century Romulan ships...?
I hear you, but at least there are modern Romulan ships in the show as well. :) We have glimpsed some flying around the cube, and I am sure we'll see more in time. I didn't mind the TOS BOP, especially given the context in which it appeared. And it was a beautiful-looking update, I thought. If it was the only Romulan ship I'd be ticked, but it's fun to know some of these old decommissioned warships are still kicking around in private hands. Outdated it might be, but I thought it worked as a threat for our crew in their nonStarfleet, unregistered small craft. Cool how it got carved up, too!
I criticized that we saw it instead of other more likely classic TNG era designs, and think it's inclusion might be due to the previously discussed license restriction issue (I even wondered if the mesh was created for a Disco script not done - cost-based reuse?), but it does set the supposed precedent for possibly seeing anything from previous eras, and I do like that. ;)

Looks like the COVID-19 virus is gonna play havoc with EM's shipping, they're stretching out Trek releases so it's gonna get fugly soon, methinks. On the flipside, I'm thinking that a longer journey will make 'em safer to touch. Are those famous last words?
Ya know, with excess oil on more than a few models who doesn't break out the Isopropyl regardless? ;)

Also picked up a 4-inch Matchbox Enterprise shuttle at TRU for $4, not bad at all for the money. :)

View attachment 346695
You're a lucky bastard to still have TRU, you know. The new company here in the USA has only 2 shops, and neither are in my state.

My pal Willard has started a petition for Ben Robinson and Eaglemoss to extend the regular (numbered) Starships Collection past 180 issues, which is a splendid idea, if you ask me. :cool:
If you're interested in offering your support, please join the petition here:

DONE. We should be spreading the word on this!

Well, that's a definite for me. Still can't wait for the XL Stargazer/Hathaway though. Wish it happened already.

Very cool news from EM today: Borg Cube is issue 180 (yay, First Contact flavour and regular sized! but all-plastic), USS Valiant (Defiant concept) and vertical Romulan Warbird are reconfirmed as upcoming Bonuses, and a NSEA Protector from Galaxy Quest is (likely) incoming. The CG assets for La Sirena and some other PIC ships have just been received by EM so expect 'em in a year.

Oh, and Ben confirmed that more (mostly TNG) ships of the week are coming, so maybe a few more holes in the collection will get some spackling. Not that EM has been anything other than amazing in their range of options so far.

Sad to see PIC end, I really enjoyed the season, despite some pacing wobbles. I really got quite wrapped up in it (and most of the new characters), and the finale was quite moving, sniffle. Looking forward to Season 2, bigly. :)
I too sniffled at the end, but have issues aplenty with how the season went. But, of course, the ships are what matters in this thread, and I suppose I'm more glad than upset that Eaves and co decided that a general classic design was the way to go for the squadron shown. Not that I loved the STO design of them, but it could have been a lot worse...well, c'mon, the warp effect is awful. :D

As for the First Contact cube, and we really ought to call it that even as a silent reminder/protest to the powers that be that we haven't had the Q Who/BoBW one yet...which Ben said they were working on, if I recall...anyhow, I don't mind it being all plastic. The DeAgostini one was all plastic. Just give it to me....BOTH of them, if you please. ;)

As for the PIC ship series, I hope, as I mentioned earlier, the use of less-fiddled with classics like the TOS Romular warbird means those ships missed in the main series will be address in the new ship series. Fingers crossed.

But, and it would upset me greatly, if we don't get more...my thanks as well to Ben & co for what we did get. :)

I want those cubes though!

Reaction score
I'll raise that it's a contentious issue, but I'll never say it's 100% true, or 100% wrong, as neither of us know that.

That's what seems to "hold water" for me, but the fact that it's consistently adhered to is what is what seems to tip the scale towards it being an active restriction. @Darkside_ObiWan should feel free pick to it apart to cite where he/she/they feel it's not true, of course.
Absolutely none of it holds up to me, because from what we know of the specifics of the show itself and of copyright law in general, the claim does not make any sense in the slightest. While yes, neither of us are the artists or whatever so we don't know 100%, based on the information available and what we have been told, it can be assumed to be incorrect as something he was required to do for legal reasons (although yes, obviously someone could have incorrectly said that to him).

The claim is simply not how copyright works. Claiming that they were asked to make the designs "25% different" for "legal" reasons is quite an absurd thing to ask for, as from a legal standpoint copyright or visual distinction is not something that can be defined in terms of percentages like that. There is no quantifiable number that shows how similar a design is that artists have to be wary of when designing something. Even if he was asked by someone to make it different, them specifying for a design to be "25%" different would not have helped with any potential copyright issues as that just isn't how copyright law functions. There are multiple factors that are used to determine whether something is infringing, and it is not something that can be simplified to the point it just becomes a percentage you have to stay aware of. Even with the "25%" difference, the visual similarities to the original are still very obviously apparent and its obviously derivative of the original design, so there would still likely be an issue.

The other reason why I am confident that the claim is wrong is the whole idea that goes along with it, of there being a "rights split" in the first place - the idea that Paramountowns certain things, and CBS owns other stuff. That is something that has been talked about quite a lot, with - at least from what I've seen - the basis of the idea coming from a youtube channel that uses unverified speculation to push a conspiracy theory about Star Trek Discovery etc being 'fake' Star Trek and things like that. There is no rights split in that way - there is not any sort of ownership split for the actual content of the Star Trek universe between CBS and Paramount. The only split there was/is, is that CBS did not have the publishing rights for the Movies, that was what was owned by Paramount. CBS own the rights to the Star Trek universe as a whole, including the designs, characters, stories etc - they just couldn't distribute those original movies. CBS has the copyright to the setting and there is no reason to think otherwise, especially when like i said, copyright doesn't quite work in a way where it could be split as claimed to the point where it's down to a percentage difference.

CBS said that they own the copyright and that they are not obligated to make things different. If that wasn't the case, the actual rights holder would surely contest that claim - but no one has. As CBS said, differences are simply the result of artistic vision - they're making something more up to date and have a chance to enhance or modify designs, they have better technology to do stuff now so they're going to use it, that's it.

So yes, maybe someone did say this to him, but it being something they had to do because of the rights does not hold up at all.The way the original article is worded suggests that neither of them really know what's going on, and are just assuming it was a legal thing.

A very similar situation has been claimed with Star Wars, with the idea that George Lucas holds the rights to the original stuff and that's why there was so little of it in the new movies....when again, it was simply the rights to distributing the original movies that weren't available, not the actual content within those movies.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Absolutely none of it holds up to me, because from what we know of the specifics of the show itself and of copyright law in general, the claim does not make any sense in the slightest. While yes, neither of us are the artists or whatever so we don't know 100%, based on the information available and what we have been told, it can be assumed to be incorrect as something he was required to do for legal reasons (although yes, obviously someone could have incorrectly said that to him).
As I'd opinied previously, what we see on screen seems to uphold the theory that there is such a restriction. Whether on paper there is a legal basis for it or not, it doesn't seem to be artistic intent alone.

The claim is simply not how copyright works. Claiming that they were asked to make the designs "25% different" for "legal" reasons is quite an absurd thing to ask for, as from a legal standpoint copyright or visual distinction is not something that can be defined in terms of percentages like that. There is no quantifiable number that shows how similar a design is that artists have to be wary of when designing something. Even if he was asked by someone to make it different, them specifying for a design to be "25%" different would not have helped with any potential copyright issues as that just isn't how copyright law functions. There are multiple factors that are used to determine whether something is infringing, and it is not something that can be simplified to the point it just becomes a percentage you have to stay aware of. Even with the "25%" difference, the visual similarities to the original are still very obviously apparent and its obviously derivative of the original design, so there would still likely be an issue.
Whether the change is quantifiable as 25% different, I haven't checked. What I have seen indicates material changes to designs at times when such changes, again, do not seem to be based on artistic direction alone. That a considerable portion of the fan community finds that to be true, not casual fans, bolsters the continued belief, including by me, that there is an underlying basis for it; even if it is just some directive alone and not a citable clause in a licensing contract.

The other reason why I am confident that the claim is wrong is the whole idea that goes along with it, of there being a "rights split" in the first place - the idea that Paramountowns certain things, and CBS owns other stuff. That is something that has been talked about quite a lot, with - at least from what I've seen - the basis of the idea coming from a youtube channel that uses unverified speculation to push a conspiracy theory about Star Trek Discovery etc being 'fake' Star Trek and things like that. There is no rights split in that way - there is not any sort of ownership split for the actual content of the Star Trek universe between CBS and Paramount. The only split there was/is, is that CBS did not have the publishing rights for the Movies, that was what was owned by Paramount. CBS own the rights to the Star Trek universe as a whole, including the designs, characters, stories etc - they just couldn't distribute those original movies. CBS has the copyright to the setting and there is no reason to think otherwise, especially when like i said, copyright doesn't quite work in a way where it could be split as claimed to the point where it's down to a percentage difference.

CBS said that they own the copyright and that they are not obligated to make things different. If that wasn't the case, the actual rights holder would surely contest that claim - but no one has. As CBS said, differences are simply the result of artistic vision - they're making something more up to date and have a chance to enhance or modify designs, they have better technology to do stuff now so they're going to use it, that's it.
I hate to throw straw men into this, but I think you're using one about copyright. Obviously CBS owns the IP; it's the licensing of it for certain projects that may be limited. There is no "rights split" as you infer some are arguing as the reason for the changes. The claim was that there is a licensing restriction in how much of the original IP could be used by Bad Robot and Secret Hideout. Plus that it wasn't just a 25% difference, but that certain characters and elements could be used to begin with, and that any additional usage had to be separately negotiated. Now, there have been scenes and storylines in which it seemed obvious due to ease that certain elements would be used and weren't. It's the repeated nature of those incidents which bolsters that such a restriction exists; at least to myself.

You should probably cite which youtube channel you're referring to as well, as it's not just one channel that has hosted programs or videos offering the claim of a license restriction. I can think of at least three myself.

So yes, maybe someone did say this to him, but it being something they had to do because of the rights does not hold up at all.The way the original article is worded suggests that neither of them really know what's going on, and are just assuming it was a legal thing.
If it was that article or Eaves' statement alone, I'd be circumspect before repeating it. Now, while you offer your opinion for why you don't believe it, the one official statement you cite as a seeming refutation was vague (as I recall). We have to both agree that this is a topic which could quite easily be put to rest; especially when folks like Chabon have deigned to reference fans who are critical as of late. Yet the claim persists, and it fits.

A very similar situation has been claimed with Star Wars, with the idea that George Lucas holds the rights to the original stuff and that's why there was so little of it in the new movies....when again, it was simply the rights to distributing the original movies that weren't available, not the actual content within those movies.
Hasn't that been more credibly debunked?

In any regard, I'm not closed to reappraising my beliefs on the matter of a Star Trek license restriction affecting Picard, Disco, etc. If something comes up that undermines the whole thing premise, I'm not going to brush it under the rug and put on the ol' tin hat anyway. ;)

Reaction score
Just finished watching Picard, what's the general opinion on the show here on the board ?

First, I started by watching the "Picard" movies trilogy (First Contact, Insurrection, Nemesis), which I think was a great move (I did not clearly remember the death of a certain character, event which is the starting point and underlying theme of the show). So I strongly recommend watching those 3 movies again, especially since these are indeed entertaining (and yes, I know Picard and co appear in Generations, but I classify that one in the "Kirk" era).

So, going with the show, the set-up was interesting (the ban of a certain category of beings), the political evolution and associated issues as well.
Picard as a character was credible, and of course Patrick Stewart delivered the marchandise !
I liked the cameos, although I don't know if some of those go against any previous established canon (I have less knowledge in ST than SW). Some still required a little digging around to recall who and what their previous character arcs were.

Spoiler:  
I first thought the big reveal would be that the Romulans were the creators of the Borg race, but I was mistaken (and a little bit disappointed, it could have been fun - maybe not so much for the Trekkies though).

The ships were OK, except maybe for the Romulan fleet which I didn't find that menacing. I still like better the D'Deridex design.
I think that most of the characters were well rendered, although
  Spoiler:  
the relationship between Jurati and Rios felt weak.

All in all, it was quite good, and a great way to step back into Star Trek. I'll definitely watch the expected second season. Given the current sanitary situation, I might look at Deep Space Nine to pass some time !

Reaction score
Whilst surfing the interwebs, stumbled across this image created by a Spanish artist named Nekro, made for a Star Trek film festival in 2016.
I just think it's really cool. :)

Nekro Enterprise.jpg

Reaction score
That's awesome, DD! Getting a Vengeance meets Sarcophagus Ship vibe off it.

Finally finished Picard. I enjoyed the show overall, and absolutely loved some parts, though I thought there were also a few stumbles.

Minor quibble, but I do think they overused the F-bombs a bit. There were places where they felt earned but also places where they felt forced and jarring.

Spoiler:  
The Borg felt underused in the final episodes, leaving me wondering what purpose having them crash on the Synth home-world really did for us other that reuniting the cast? I mean, they literally represent a mix of synthetic and organic life, so thematically it felt to me like they had a big part to play in winding up the story, but apparently not. I hope we will delve more into them and their future in the second season.

It also struck me as odd that they introuduced a magic imagination wand in that final episode, which seemed like it could be used to solve soooo many problems, including perhaps Picard's brain issue, but never explained where this miracle device came from or why they didn't use it for everything. If they did, I missed it. It also seemed strange to me that such a device needed to be introduced, when the solution could have been something drawn out of the Borg story arc. "Our ship is broken and needs to be fixed. Last episode we showed drones scurrying all over the hull of a Borg cube, fixing it. If only there was one of those within a few minutes walk ... oh."

Liked most of the new ship designs, though I wish we had more diversity of classes in the Romulan and Federation fleets. I agree that the D'deridex remains the high-point of Romulan design for me, too. There were still loads of cool designs in the show, though.

Apparently the lack of variation in the Federation fleet had to do with the final episode's VFX still being worked on when everyone went into Corona isolation, so that makes sense. I spotted two different nacelle types present in the fleet, but otherwise it seemed like all of the ships were the same. Liking the design, nonetheless. Seems very much in keeping with the direction of Starfleet ship aesthetics already established in canon.

Looking forward to getting a better look at many of the new craft when EM gets to them, next year.

Also, did it bother anyone else that the replicators were literally just off the shelf 2019 3D printers wheeled onto the set? :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Amongst other ships now showing on the Herocollector site, EM have released images of Issues 5 and 6 of the Star Trek Online line. I have to admit, I am loving these designs. They seem a bit 'funky'

Issue #5 - USS Buran

5 USS Buran.jpg

Issue#6 - Romulan Vastam class Warbird

6 Vastam Class.jpg

Better pics are sure to follow - enjpy :)

Reaction score
Oh, cool. :) Some of the STO ship seem a bit over-designed to me, but there are also some cool ones, and some fun ideas. In general I find them to be a bit overworked, with too much contrast, but I can see how one might go in that direction, extending the design trajectory of the Enterprise E. And for a video game I am sure the bold colours and definition work well. More beautiful Trek miniature models is good news regardless. :)

Reaction score
I've gotta catch up with the Bonus and shuttle issues before I get into the STO ships but they're tempting me much more than I'd initially thought. Yugely, bigly so.

Sad to report that it's now confirmed: there's no Trek ship ornie coming from Hallmark this year, not even for the cons, assuming that any actually happen, of course. We're just gettin' the talkin' TOSserprise tree topper.
Must say, it's gonna be weird (and sad) to not buy a ship ornie this year. All good things, I guess.

View media item 397189
I'm unreasonably pleased that the FC Borg cube is #180 and regular-sized, that's just so classy, innit. :)

View media item 397188

Reaction score
Thanks for the measurement, DD. I may upgrade my Furuta cube when this becomes available.

Agreed that the STO ships make some great looking models. I can see why these are popular. :) Happy for STO fans. Even if I don't love the end result some of the time, I look forward to reading the magazines about the design process for each.