Stand-Alone Star Wars Films General Discussion Thread

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what words you use, the cast of characters is still not evidence that that any or all of those events will happen in this film.
Are you telling me that is way you can thing of where the Rebels could have stolen the plans during a space battle from a ship carrying the plans? A computer hack? A boarding party?
You are also claiming to played out the plot of the unwilling Imperial scientist, the extremist terrorist faction, the father/daughter story, the factoring of the Rebel council, etc.
Why don't you sue John Knoll for stealing all your ideas?
Saying there is a difference and explaining the difference are two different things.
Explain exactly what you already new about the mission to steal the Death Star plans before Rogue One came along. Describe how you knew what Death Troopers and Shore Troopers looked liked?
It is because you did say the audience should be "spoon fed" and you did thing I was agreeing with you how to clear up confusion - you even typed it yourself.
And you did make comments in an attempt to insult or provoke me - you admitted it in the previous post when you clao=imed I didn't know why you were trying to insult me.
Now, are you going to continue to be narky or can you be an adult and just talk about Rogue One and Kenobi and actually explain yourself?

Just throwing all that together because it says nothing of value. I'm not responding to anymore of this nonsense.

You seem to have answers, so would you like to share with the class? This forum is about Stand Alone Star Wars Films. How would you do new anthology films? We'll assume Kenobi is out of the question so, where would you go and how would you do it?

Reaction score
Just throwing all that together because it says nothing of value. I'm not responding to anymore of this nonsense.

You seem to have answers, so would you like to share with the class? This forum is about Stand Alone Star Wars Films. How would you do new anthology films? We'll assume Kenobi is out of the question so, where would you go and how would you do it?

If you "not responding to anymore of this nonsense" then why are you posting snarky responses?

I never said I had "all the answers". Nor did I say a Kenobi movie is "out of the question".

Are you even the posts you are responding to?

This was never about not doing a Kenobi movie - it was about your claim that you already knew the events of stealing the Death Star plans, that you already know what is going to happen in the Han Solo movie and that you think a Kenobi movie is going to somehow shed more light on the mythology than Rogue One/Han Solo films shed do. I asked you to explain how you already knew "almost the exact plot" of Rogue One as a child.

Rather than just answer, you choose instead to get snarky because someone dared to question it.

So I'll try again - how are the details of Rogue One something we "already knew about"? How is a Kenobi movie different when we actually know more about what Obi-Wan did on Tatooine (and I mean real details (training with Qui-Gon, falling out with Owen, watching over Luke) and not guesses like interactions with Tuskens Raiders, Mis Eisley, etc.)?

Reaction score
If you "not responding to anymore of this nonsense" then why are you posting snarky responses?

I never said I had "all the answers". Nor did I say a Kenobi movie is "out of the question".

Are you even the posts you are responding to?

This was never about not doing a Kenobi movie - it was about your claim that you already knew the events of stealing the Death Star plans, that you already know what is going to happen in the Han Solo movie and that you think a Kenobi movie is going to somehow shed more light on the mythology than Rogue One/Han Solo films shed do. I asked you to explain how you already knew "almost the exact plot" of Rogue One as a child.

Rather than just answer, you choose instead to get snarky because someone dared to question it.

So I'll try again - how are the details of Rogue One something we "already knew about"? How is a Kenobi movie different when we actually know more about what Obi-Wan did on Tatooine (and I mean real details (training with Qui-Gon, falling out with Owen, watching over Luke) and not guesses like interactions with Tuskens Raiders, Mis Eisley, etc.)?

How about I try again. Answer 3 questions for me:

1) What is the plot of Rogue One?

2) What is a subplot and how does that apply to Rogue One?

3) What do we know that is concrete about Obi Wan being on Tatooine? (not talking about watching, training, or general living... an actual event that is alluded to in the movies)

Reaction score
Since the EP9 thread was locked down, I'll continue a certain topic here. At least until another thread starts up.

You know who'd be an interesting director. Justin Lin. Like or dislike the fast and furious movies but the dude knows how to direct action and he clearly likes to hit home the friendship element in his movies. Star Trek beyond was the closest of the new movies to really touch on the great Kirk, Spock, bones relationship.
I can kind of agree with you about Lin, he did come the closest to fleshing out the relationship between the 3. And He did inject enough action to make it seem like something was happening, while not doing it solely for that reason. But i do have some issues with how he did things, though TBH it was probably due to the Studio or Producers. I'm not a big fan of FF movies, but I can tolerate them. Though they are getting about too much.

I'm not sold on him for STAR WARS, but he could be good for an Anthology side Story. KotOR era even!

I think hiring Directors these days is tough. You can't hang you Franchise on a new untested talent, but with an established Director comes certain baggage. Do they go with someone who wants complete control, or a yes Man?

Plus it seems like a lot of them are a one trick pony. They can make a good movie based on source material B, and oes very good. But when it comes to material D it's not well received.

As for the Russo Bro's, I'd be inclined to watch a Boba Fett Movie if they Directed it. Or possibly something similar to Civil War's Spy Thriller, perhaps based on an Imperial Officer looking to defect. Or a Rebel in deep Cover, close to being discovered. Then again maybe we could finally get a true Smuggler type character withing the Black Sun, that delved deeper into the Crime Syndicate.

Now that i think about it, they would have been a good choice fro Han Solo?

Reaction score
I think I appreciated what Lin brought to the table when I watched furious 7. It lacked the heart and camaraderie that the previous movies had, especially 5. And I totally agree, he would be better for a stand alone than anthology film.

He would have been a great choice for rogue one, heist movie....ensemble cast....

Reaction score
Admittedly, Star Trek Beyond wasn't the kind of Trek I'm accustomed to watching (speaking from an old school standpoint), but it's the best so far in my book in the post Roddenberry/Berman era. The interpersonal relationship as mentioned was better; however the internalized conflict within the Federation/Starfleet such as Section 31 and a militarized Starfleet (per Edison) as a subplot device has been addressed before in previous Trek, but argumentatively it is the kind of conflict that is realistically suggestive from an large and complex organization like the Federation.

With that said, I think there are areas in the Star Wars anthology movies worth exploring such as Black Sun, Corporate Sector Authority and maybe even COMPNOR/CompForce. The only 'backlash' I would suspect is that they become possible allegories for the kinds of internalized conflicts/corruptions that face large/complex organizations today, particularly the dystopian nature of large controlling corporations that were plot devices of movies of those types even back in the 70's just before Star Wars' release (i.e. Rollerball, Death Race 2000, etc..).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since the EP9 thread was locked down, I'll continue a certain topic here. At least until another thread starts up.

I can kind of agree with you about Lin, he did come the closest to fleshing out the relationship between the 3. And He did inject enough action to make it seem like something was happening, while not doing it solely for that reason. But i do have some issues with how he did things, though TBH it was probably due to the Studio or Producers. I'm not a big fan of FF movies, but I can tolerate them. Though they are getting about too much.

I'm not sold on him for STAR WARS, but he could be good for an Anthology side Story. KotOR era even!

I think hiring Directors these days is tough. You can't hang you Franchise on a new untested talent, but with an established Director comes certain baggage. Do they go with someone who wants complete control, or a yes Man?

Plus it seems like a lot of them are a one trick pony. They can make a good movie based on source material B, and oes very good. But when it comes to material D it's not well received.

As for the Russo Bro's, I'd be inclined to watch a Boba Fett Movie if they Directed it. Or possibly something similar to Civil War's Spy Thriller, perhaps based on an Imperial Officer looking to defect. Or a Rebel in deep Cover, close to being discovered. Then again maybe we could finally get a true Smuggler type character withing the Black Sun, that delved deeper into the Crime Syndicate.

Now that i think about it, they would have been a good choice fro Han Solo?
No one was good choice. Daley and Crsipin were great Harrison Ford is unique and they should have picked a different character.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First off, I think they need to step back and take a breath. RO and now Solo have had to bring in new directors because of "creative differences". Take some time and make the right choice for the movie subject as well as director and forget about the tentative release date.

Personally, I'd rather the next stand alone focus on somebody besides Fett or Kenobi. Black Squadron, Dr Aphra, Cad Bane, Crimson Corsair, and a Saw Gerrerra movie would all be pretty cool in my eyes.

Reaction score
I was thinking the other day, that maybe an Indy/Raiders style of movie might work. One where the titular character(Keeper of the Whills) is looking for a lost relic of either Sith or Jedi origin. And they have to traverse landscapes, not your typical good versus evil or a Galactic threat like Deathstar/starkiller base etc. Just a good ole fashion adventure story. Perhaps a Journal of the Whills story? The last Guardian, the Last Whill & Testament? :grin:
I think there is still a lot to be told on that subject, either prior to or post R1. If the story take place in ANH era, Hera could come into play again. If the story takes play prior to, perhaps included into a Yoda story. Or possibly told from the Sith perspective? There's a lot of stories that could be told from their POV as well. While I'm not a big fan, I wouldn't mind digging into their lore for a movie. After all, they're just a different side to the same coin?

Reaction score
It seems actually simple to make a new SW Film work and work well, but as long as the previous films like TFA AND TLJ made Billions they will still try to follow that formula. Another SW Film Failure might get us to a new starting point.

Reaction score
Of course. As there is always going to be a small percentage who deosn't like something just to complain, then another percentage who will not accept it because it ins't the OT.

But most of us, we just want a good coherent story.