Stand-Alone Star Wars Films General Discussion Thread

Reaction score
We weren't TOLD they were alone, until Yoda told Luke "the last of the Jedi will you be", which could've been said for multiple reasons and been interpreted in a number of ways, not to mention that Yoda is not omniscient and so he could've simply been wrong. In ROTS, nobody had responded to the signal from the temple or to Bail's communications, so Yoda & Obi-Wan thought they were on their own. Yoda was ready to go into exile even before learning of the twins. Mace could easily have done the same... decided to trust in the Force, or given up. Who knows how his defeat may've affected him? How injured he may've been?

None of that means your slippery-slope nonsense of Aayla & Plo surviving could or would happen. Mace could plausibly survive based on facts in evidence from other instances in the films: the Coruscant chase in AOTC showed Force-users surviving great falls in Coruscant traffic; Luke was shown surviving quite a bit of Palpatine's lightning; a severed hand didn't kill Luke, Anakin, Zam, etc. His survival is arguably more plausible than Maul's, and we know Maul did survive. That could lead to an interesting story, perhaps, as it did with Maul. It's not "drivel" at all, since you don't know how a surviving Mace's story would play out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ehhhh if you say so. I still would guess a Mace film will be before all the PT drama, anyways. Skydiving (not falling or thrown) Force wielding tag team Jedi sure ain't in the same frame of mind as an electrocuted betrayed dismembered thrown outta the window defeated Jedi. From now on every phrase and scenario in all these films are not to be believed or trusted then? ..nonsense. Getting worse than the CW, no death allowed! SW Episode IX: The Vampire Diaries. In S3 of Rebels, now blind Kanan is gonna fight also blind Grievous, cuz he was just short-circuited, the Pa'aun service techs recovered him when Kenobi left, just in time... then he's gonna tag up w/ Maul, cuz they met at the same time at the mechanical appendage outlet, AND- I hear Sidious placed Dooku's brain in a B'Omarr monk chassis. Plausible. ugh, man I hope SW doesn't get this retarded.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not plausible at all. The Invisible Hand crashed, and Dooku's body was--if memory serves--on the part that broke off. Grievous' organs were fried when Obi-Wan shot him, and fire spewed from the holes in his mask.

Mace surviving is plausible. Doesn't mean it happened, or that there'd be a movie about it. Just that it's plausible. Vader survived getting his 3 remaining organic limbs amputated and catching fire on the bank of a lava river. Compared to that? Yeah, Mace could plausibly survive.

Reaction score
well, all ribbing aside, we'll just have to see. This kinda stuff could go on forever, that's why I mentioned such outlandish scenarios. (I am aware of those points you mentioned, thx). That's just how the mace thing sounds to me, silly. Like in H20 when the mask was switched to the ambulance driver? well, we didn't see that til part 8, but it was writable. certainly wasn't good.

Reaction score
Considering death in Comics never meant anything. Why should it be an issue in Star Wars, a movie based in a Fantasy realm?

Reaction score
Because it makes a mockery of storytelling, meaningfulness and consequence?

You know, like comics? ;)

Reaction score
Maybe at the future films panel on the Sunday at CE we'll get a new director for the former Josh Trank film that was heavily rumored, but I don't believe ever confirmed to be a Boba Fett film.

Reaction score
Mace makes more sense than Maul. Wouldn't be surprised if he popped up on Rebels now. Maybe, he'd sense the darkness within Ezra and try to kill him?

Reaction score
Starting to look forward to Rouge One and I hope it is good. I didn't really care for TFA. If Rogue One is a hit, I wonder if Disney will find as way to do another stand alone film in the middle of the OT? I don't know what relevant story lines they could use without the original actors. Ideas? This is a bit of stretch but film about boba fett while he was transporting frozen Solo to Jabba. I know Im reaching but I'm bored.

Reaction score
well said, spot on. (I'll give it to comics as one of the only logical homes for such antics, maybe video games too).
Not every comic is about weirdos and funny costumes. The stupid revivals don't happen in every comic book universe.

Reaction score
well, it seems at least to me - comics can attempt and/or get away with anything in it's narrative, content, etc. and it's accepted, generally speaking. There are no boundaries, rules, even continuity is loose. it seems in film, when such an idea occurs, or something really wild & out there is done, it's makes fans nuts, as where it seems more accepted, expected or brushed off in the comics. Like Ghostbusters, they changed up the newer approach in the last film and it was a disaster, but you can make a comic of Ash vs Freddy Vs Jason, and it's considered cool, awesome, a hoot... but F vs J (w/o Ash) on film was a total joke.. it was like the worst WWF match ever. It's all opinion i suppose, but i see comics surviving w/ far fetched nonsensical ideas much more long term & successfully than films. is it a fiscal thing? maybe... now all the Marvel heroes are getting female reinventions, comics it'll fly, will it in the cinemas?

Last edited:
Reaction score
well, it seems at least to me - comics can attempt and/or get away with anything in it's narrative, content, etc. and it's accepted, generally speaking. There are no boundaries, rules, even continuity is loose. it seems in film, when such an idea occurs, or something really wild & out there is done, it's makes fans nuts, as where it seems more accepted, expected or brushed off in the comics. Like Ghostbusters, they changed up the newer approach in the last film and it was a disaster, but you can make a comic of Ash vs Freddy Vs Jason, and it's considered cool, awesome, a hoot... but F vs J (w/o Ash) on film was a total joke.. it was like the worst WWF match ever. It's all opinion i suppose, but i see comics surviving w/ far fetched nonsensical ideas much more long term & successfully than films. is it a fiscal thing? maybe... now all the Marvel heroes are getting female reinventions, comics it'll fly, will it in the cinemas?
I doubt Marvels reinventions will fly long term even in the comics. It's only accepted in the big 2 superhero universes, outside of it not so much. You got these vs stories but those are not in continuity.

Reaction score
yeah, may not last, true. i wonder too, w/ this approach in new SW. So we got Rey, ok that seemed naturally in it's flow. but now Jyn? and VIII has a hot asian chick on the horizon... pardon the pun, but it's appearing forced. I get some change ups, but let's not obsess with it & think it just has to happen. Leia's already been huge and well utilized in SW forever, do fans & execs not recall that?

Reaction score
Yoda film would suck. It's the Darth Vader effect. He's better in small doses.

Fett the same thing. It'd be all about trying to make him cool. Like the robot chicken most interesting man fett skit.

Mace....who is going to show up for that movie??

Obi-wan...so much yes. Possibly the only one worth seeing.

I'd also be for some rogue squadron set between empire and Jedi.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Kenobi seems the most possible, Fett/Yoda the most obvious. I think Yoda got a ton of coverage in the PT era. I like the fact they still leave his species, home world, etc a mystery, so i'm cool w/ leaving Yoda totally out of it. Kenobi seems best, as Ewan is just waiting for the call and it will be a very easy evolutionary transition for the actor and at least some of it we know will happen in familiar territory. He doesn't have to stay on Tatooine 24/7 either, but rather live there and keep the watch on Luke as he said he would. Seems that would be more necessary when Luke's a bit older and more likely to be in the environment on his own, hunting, racing whatever.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Fett, well let's see if they cram him into the Solo flick, or-plant the seed for the next spinoff (for Fett) via Solo's film. After R1, I can't determine if there's any fertile logical ground left for critical tales that connect to the OT w/ the more main vintage characters. As much as I loved R1 and all in it, how will the masses take to a constant of CG enhanced actors, deceased or older ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
hmmm well, maybe Tatooine being so covered already in the new canon material may reinforce him leaving for a spell. I'd be cool w/ him staying there no doubt. His mentioning to Luke about the best pilots being found in Chalmun's makes me think he does leave every now & then. Wouldn't the story group, if they were even contemplating a Ben spin off, maybe not allow licensees to touch that area in case they may intend to?
Marvel's comic (new) detailing Ben fending off Tusken Raiders and Jabba's goons had some good seeds for a movie.

Utinniii

Reaction score
They can easily get Ben off planet for a spell.
Tracking down someone that discovers who Luke is, kidnapping, owes a favor...

I'm good with whatever storys long as the basis of the movie is "there are Jawas".

Reaction score
Kenobi movie: spending the next years meditating on the Force, dealing with them pesky Jawas and Sand People, and trying to find elaborate ways to avoid being seen by Luke. Yup, would be one big exciting movie...

Reaction score
Kenobi movie: spending the next years meditating on the Force, dealing with them pesky Jawas and Sand People, and trying to find elaborate ways to avoid being seen by Luke. Yup, would be one big exciting movie...
Let's see, character living in exile haunted by the mistakes he made. Trying to find any way to be a better person and make ammends for the consequences of his actions. Yup, total bore. When's the next transformers movie coming out? I want explosions!

A kenobi movie could be Star Wars big chance to really do something different. You know outside of super weapons....

I'd love to see Kenobi done just like Unforgiven. You could pretty much make the same movie beat for beat and it would be fantastic. I still get chills every time Clint faces down hackman at the end of the movie.

And unlike most of the actors from the prequels, ewan could pull it off. One of the few actors from the prequels to really own the role.

Reaction score
Let's see, character living in exile haunted by the mistakes he made. Trying to find any way to be a better person and make ammends for the consequences of his actions. Yup, total bore. When's the next transformers movie coming out? I want explosions!

A kenobi movie could be Star Wars big chance to really do something different. You know outside of super weapons...
So could a new movie with a totally new cast of characters though!
IMO, Obi-Wan would basically be like reliving the OT and PT combined. No matter what you do, you're confined to the era he's from/in and the activities in that time. What BIG element could be used w/o affecting the larger universe and not seem like something from the bad EU of the past? Anytime a movie is done, it has to be done on grand scale and the stakes need to be high. Otherwise you might as well just read a book of his memoirs on Tatooine sipping tea ion the hot sun all day. Whatever adventure you set him out on, would have to go under the radar. Which wouldn't make much a draw for the theater. Be like watching an episode of Big Bang Theory on a very big screen.

I understand there are a lot of Obi-Wan fans out there, and maybe don't want to see him go. Or just want one last adventure. But it is time for new blood, new era, and new adventures. I'm already bored of teh very small sandbox they have put SW into.

Reaction score
All good points. Especially on the movie being "big" enough to be a draw.

And I too want to see sw do something new and different. Enough with the skywalkers, enough with the super weapons.

I see an Obi-wan film as a stepping stone. A way to break the formula. Problem is they probably won't stray too far from safe material.

The other reason why I'd like to see an Obi-wan film is that it's a way to redeem the prequel era. Obi-wan was extremely underutilized imo.

Between an Obi-wan film and a Fett film I'd much rather see an Obi-wan film. And you know with these spin offs they are going to stick with familiar faces for the most part.

Reaction score
I would love it if Kenobi didn't leave the planet. Leave him on tatooine and do a full on western. Something completely different.

I would prefer this as well. I think he took his charge seriously of truly staying and protecting Luke

I guess my only fear of an Obi-Wan film would be having Maul track him down and having them fight it out in the desert. I did not like that they brought Maul back at all, but as long as Obi-Wan finally kills him, I guess I could live with that. However, the all out space western idea could be fun, as you mentioned, with or without Maul. We could even see Obi-Wan get hus rep for being a crazy old wizard, or having some interaction with a young Luke, as mentioned in the radio drama from ANH.

pod

Reaction score
I'm ready for a Rogue One sequel. Give me the story on stealing the DS 2 plans. Mon Mothma directing the operation this time, and let's see those Bothans die. Call it Rogue Two, obviously.

Last edited:
Reaction score
^ I'd like this! Let's have the same director too.
A-Wings and B-Wings! Yes!

Reaction score
I'm ready for a Rogue One sequel. Give me the story on stealing the DS 2 plans. Mon Mothma directing the operation this time, and let's see those Bothans die. Call it Rogue Two, obviously.

I was hoping some of the RO characters would survive and then they could be the group that steals the Shuttle Tydirium. A RO2 would then probably have to feature many Bothans or Manny Bothanz as well. They could also bring in the Emperor for this one since he says he allowed the plans to be stolen.

Reaction score
"Manny Bothanz". That has me ROTL. I'm gonna use that one over and over. Love it.

Last edited: