Stand-Alone Star Wars Films General Discussion Thread

GNT

Reaction score
Here is the official statement from Lucasfilm about Stand-alone Star Wars movies:
The Star Wars cinematic galaxy is about to experience a Big Bang. Lucasfilm is officially announcing new spinoff films that will expand the mythos and depths of the Star Wars universe in previously unexplored ways.

One of the standalone films will be written by Lawrence Kasdan, screenwriter of The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and co-writer of Return of the Jedi while the other will be penned by Simon Kinberg, writer of Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The movies will be separate from the upcoming Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, on which Kasdan and Kinberg are also consulting, and are expected to be released sometime after Episode VII. Each standalone film will focus on a specific character, and two spinoff films are currently confirmed.

In a call to investors, Bob Iger, chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company, revealed while the original focus was on the highly-anticipated sequel trilogy, the idea of spinoff films was bandied about early and the additional films are now becoming a reality. "We are in development of a few standalone films," he said, "that are not part of the Star Wars saga...there are now creative entities working on developing scripts for what would be those standalone films."

So we have a rumored Yoda and possibly Boba Fett film, what characters deserve stand alone films? What do you think about new seperate films that aren't in the episode order?

Reaction score
Sounds like they might come before Ep. 8? Confusing for the masses?

If the Star Wars film by Kinberg bears as much relation to proper Star Wars as his Sherlock Holmes film does to proper Sherlock Holmes, we are all doomed. That was the single worst piece of utter utter obnoxious @%$* to come out of Hollywood in years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If the Star Wars film by Kinberg bears as much relation to proper Star Wars as his Sherlock Holmes film does to proper Sherlock Holmes, we are all doomed. That was the single worst piece of utter utter obnoxious @%$* to come out of Hollywood in years.
I wasn't much of a fan of it, either, but there have been a number of Sherlock adaptations to come out in the last few years alone that bear very little resemblance to the original.

Jeremy Brett and Basil Rathbone all the way, baby.

As for the character spin-offs, this could be pretty cool. It sounds like Disney is ready to really bankroll this thing heavily if they're starting development this soon before Ep. VII. I'm excited. My guess is, they're going to have to use very heavily established characters to get butts in theater seats. I could see Yoda fitting that bill, but is Boba Fett widely enough known outside of fandom? We'll have to see.

Reaction score
This is definitely going to make the Episodes feel less special. I wish stand Alones would have started after Episode 9.

Reaction score
finally. we'll get to see jar jar's origin as a tadpole. can't wait.

Reaction score
but is Boba Fett widely enough known outside of fandom? We'll have to see.
The answer to your question... ignoring the fact that this is an enormous fandom.... is yes. Fett us actually one of the more popular characters in the Saga.

Reaction score
seriously. I hope they don't de-mystify too many cool characters.
like I said in the other thread, star wars has always been about myth-building. not myth-breaking.

example yoda: part of Yoda's appeal is the mystery surrounding his past -- we don't even know what race he is.
going back to reveal every aspect of his origin-story would de-mystify him and shatter any myths that might have built-upon his mystique.

--> as long as the stand-alone Fett movie can succeed in building upon the character's mystique, without shattering it (through de-mystification of the character), then I'm OK with it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
--> as long as the stand-alone Fett movie can succeed in building upon the character's mystique, without shattering it (through de-mystification of the character), then I'm OK with it.
That has been done quite successfully already! :|

Reaction score
Imagine if Disney made a Christmas(life day) movie. Boba Fett is honestly the only stand alone I currently want. One issue that I don't believe has been brought up is how Yoda speaks. It's awesome in small doses but imagine a two hour movie where the protagonist speaks like he does.

Last edited:
Reaction score
seriously. I hope they don't de-mystify too many cool characters.
like I said in the other thread, star wars has always been about myth-building. not myth-breaking.

example yoda: part of Yoda's appeal is the mystery surrounding his past -- we don't even know what race he is.
going back to reveal every aspect of his origin-story would de-mystify him and shatter any myths that might have built-upon his mystique.

I agree, i have major reservations about a Yoda film showing his past and home planet etc, but my feelings are also mixed. How cool would it be to see Yoda's past? Maybe not his home planet/race, but maybe his time as a younger Jedi Master in full Yoda kick-*** mode? There would be a huge potential to screw such a thing up though.

With Boba Fett too, a lot of his coolness is in his mystery. Seeing what he looks like under the mask in EP.II took some if that away. But it would also be very cool to explore Mandalorians & Fett on the big screen further.

Depending on the sequel trilogy, a Han Solo spinoff would be a safe bet: a great actor, loved character(s), and no "de-mystifying". But this might take a lot away from the sequels if Harrison Ford is at all involved. I just hope they don't screw this up and make Star Wars more of a joke, more of a milked franchise than it already it. I want great films from these spinoffs, not "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" type mediocrity.

I think Disney is doing the Marvel thing, with X-Men movies but a Wolverine spinoff, and The Avengers but with all the other stand-alone hero movies. But I don't think that character-specific films have to be the spinoffs. Why not look at different time period? Like Old Republic, or between Ep. III and Ep. IV? That might confuse audiences though.

Reaction score
Popular Star Wars characters and my analysis of their prospects for being features in a spinoff film:

Luke: Hamil is old, plus may be involved in the sequels

Leia: Ditto

Han: Ditto, but is such an interesting character with many more possibilities for different stories (smuggler stories) than Luke/Leia. Could team up with Chewie, Lando, and maybe Leia for a ****** old-school adventure. But may detract from sequels.

Chewie: 2 hours of growls & subtitles won't work.

R2/C3PO: Limitless adventure possibilities with these 2 (re: the Droids cartoon), but we mostly know their origins, & they aren't the most heroic or action-oreinted characters (they both just kinda slowly hobble around), plus they will certainly be featured in the sequel films.

Obi-Wan - Was already features greatly in the prequels, time for someone else to shine

Vader - Would be easy to do (no aging actors to worry about) with limitless story possibilities (ie: focus between Ep. III & 4, or what happened bn Ep. IV & V), plus Vader won't be featured as a main character in the sequels obviously. Also probably the franchise's most popular/coolest character.

Boba Fett - Clear front-runner. Popular, lots of backstory to explore with him, no aging actors to worry about (Jeremy is easily replace-able, and Temuera Morrison is good actor who could easily play an OT-era Fett). Risk of de-mystifying his legend though.

Yoda - Another clear front-runner. Same as above.

Lando - Not quite popular enough, plus Billy Dee is old.

Palpatine - already saw much screentime in prequels

Plo Koon/Kit Fisto/Mace Windu etc - Not as popular as OT characters, people are a bit sick of prequels right now. Explore them in cartoon, not feature films

Darth Maul - interesting candidate, fairly popular but not as much as OT characters. But not a lot known of his character so backstory would be very cool (would also fix some criticism of Ep.I where there was no character development of Maul). Ray Park still could play him with stunt-doubles. Still, I think OT characters would be initial focus for spinoff films.

VERDICT: Yoda, Boba Fett, Vader, and Han Solo spinoffs are most likely.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I won't believe anything that isn't confirmed. I really want a Boba Fett movie, but I don't think it will happen. We will have to deal with a lot of rumors before anything real gets announced about these spinoffs. Same thing with the new trilogy.

Reaction score
I would be a little surprised if they give a whole lot of details on the spin-offs early on. Episode VII is going to be the big hype-fest, and they're not going to want to detract from it by announcing something fans might get distracted by. Boba Fett and Han Solo films would be cool, though.

Reaction score
If they do a Yoda movie it would be cool to see an explanation of the "cave" on Dagobah. Maybe show him in his youth tracking a Sith to Dagobah and defeating him. Would be funny as he left to hear him say something along the lines of " to this slimy mud hole, return to, I hope not."

Reaction score
If they do a Yoda movie it would be cool to see an explanation of the "cave" on Dagobah. Maybe show him in his youth tracking a Sith to Dagobah and defeating him. Would be funny as he left to hear him say something along the lines of " to this slimy mud hole, return to, I hope not."
Problem: Yoda never fought a Sith Lord before the PT. They were thought to be extinct 100+ years before he was born.

Reaction score
I thought Yoda tracked a Sith or Dark Jedi to Dagobah and killed him, I believe this was mentioned in the Thrawn Trilogy. Although I've lost track of what EU has been thrown out.

Reaction score
Problem: Yoda never fought a Sith Lord before the PT. They were thought to be extinct 100+ years before he was born.
This is according to the EU. For all we know Yoda might have fought a sith lord if that is the direction they want to go

Based on the Iger interview, there will be 5 movies in a 6 year timeframe, which tells me you can all but expect every aspect of the current EU be contradicted within the first 10 years if they are making movies at that pace. Not to to mention if they come up with a cartoon and possible tv show

Also, I have been saying all along they weren't going to wait 10 years to start using OT characters on the big screen. I would fully expect a Vader cameo in either a Fett or Solo movie - if either of those are the standalone film

Reaction score
I would be a little surprised if they give a whole lot of details on the spin-offs early on. Episode VII is going to be the big hype-fest, and they're not going to want to detract from it by announcing something fans might get distracted by. Boba Fett and Han Solo films would be cool, though.
I would think you're right.

Reaction score
I know many people will say the CW has been done to death but I'd actually like to see a live action movie that covered the clone wars. No Obi wan or Anakin. I guess they could bring Mace back. Obviously Yoda wouldn't be an issue and they could have tons of Jedi that never even talked in the movies. A movie that was told from the pov of the clones mostly would be cool and the Jedi would be heavily involved as well.

Reaction score
I'm sure we'd agree that we love the mystery revolving around disney/lucasfilms selected candidates for the spin offs. My guess is that we have not yet met the newly crowned spin off characters yet! i would suggest that one will be male and the other female, but that's about all i can put some sort of confidence in. For the record though, i'd love to see Kate (from Lost) take on the lead on the female spin off, simply because she's HOT! (Ok Disney/Lucasfilm... you can offer me my new job now!) Thank you all. Pleasant wish making to all.

Reaction score
For the record though, i'd love to see Kate (from Lost) take on the lead on the female spin off, simply because she's HOT!
Evangeline Lilly would actually make a really good female Jedi character, or even a smuggler character, in the sequels or spinoffs or whatnot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
New Yoda movie, the start of many SW spin offs? Good or bad??

Sounds like the SW movie spin-offs are starting... First off a Yoda movie?
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/rumor-disney-planning-star-wars-spinoff-film-centering-165457169.html

At first thought, I was really excited. Then I started to get a bad feeling in my stomach.
Not sure how I feel about a ton of "Avenger" like Star Wars spin off movies...
Should Disney just stick with the new Trilogy or should they flood Hollywood with spin offs of everyone favorite characters?
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Reaction score
if "ANt Man" can have his own movie then the sky's the limit: "the adventures of Ponda Baba" coming soon to a theater near you

Reaction score
The more SW the better! After the sequels, I really hope they try to tackle the Old Republic era.

Spin off movies should only be done with specific characters. The Yoda one sounds the least intersting for me. Boba is a no brainer. A Solo movie could work, especially if they show him meeting and saving Chewie. Someone had mentioned a Rogue Squadron movie, I think that would work great too.

I don't think it would happen (I guess we can never say never at this point), but I would like a clone/trooper heavy movie. Something that really shows them as troopers. Maybe a la Saving Private Ryan or some other war movie. I'd just love to see Captain Rex in live action!

Reaction score
Not to many characters in the movies/show I'd want a spinoff movie about. Yoda and Rex and Rogue Squadron would be at the top of my list though.

I think a Han Solo and Boba Fett movie are absolutely HORRIBLE ideas. All it will do is dissapoint the whiny OT only lovers once again and another 20 years of *****ing will commence. They will never cast good enough or have a good enough plot or action or "feel" to make these people happy so focus the energy elsewhere.

Reaction score
Not to many characters in the movies/show I'd want a spinoff movie about. Yoda and Rex and Rogue Squadron would be at the top of my list though.

I think a Han Solo and Boba Fett movie are absolutely HORRIBLE ideas. All it will do is dissapoint the whiny OT only lovers once again and another 20 years of *****ing will commence. They will never cast good enough or have a good enough plot or action or "feel" to make these people happy so focus the energy elsewhere.
I agree on both points! I think one or two movies would be alright, but I could see thins turning into a ton of one shots.

After some thought, I'd love to see a live action Clone Wars movie! Maybe it could follow Rex on some crazy adventure....

Last edited:
Reaction score
The more SW the better! After the sequels, I really hope they try to tackle the Old Republic era.

Spin off movies should only be done with specific characters. The Yoda one sounds the least intersting for me. Boba is a no brainer. A Solo movie could work, especially if they show him meeting and saving Chewie. Someone had mentioned a Rogue Squadron movie, I think that would work great too.

I don't think it would happen (I guess we can never say never at this point), but I would like a clone/trooper heavy movie. Something that really shows them as troopers. Maybe a la Saving Private Ryan or some other war movie. I'd just love to see Captain Rex in live action!

YEEEEESS!!!!! I love the Private Ryan idea and I'd agree with you about the Rex but then that'd probably require Anakin. It'd be a cool idea with a no name Jedi that way there'd be some suspense if he/she dies or not.

Reaction score
I think a film with Boba Fett in it would be a great idea but I don't think he should be the central character. There needs to be a protagonist who isn't a villian.

Reaction score
I agree. If they make a stand alone movie with boba fett, they are going to have to have a different character as a protagonist, or morph boba fett into one...which I think would be horrible.

I wouldn't mind a Han/Lando/Chewy/Jabba/Fett story tho.

Reaction score
I agree. If they make a stand alone movie with boba fett, they are going to have to have a different character as a protagonist, or morph boba fett into one...which I think would be horrible.

I wouldn't mind a Han/Lando/Chewy/Jabba/Fett story tho.
When I heard Solo & Fett as stand alone movies, that's what I was thinking. They'll make the Solo & Fett origin movies & then have the stories converge. Based on the last Disney earnings call, they had said that they were going to follow Marvel's blueprint, so this would fit that