SSC 1:6 Tie Fighter Pilot

Reaction score
Yes, I like those new hexigon bases....more versatile for display with the movable posts. Hope Sideshow makes them available for sale on their own...I'd definitely scoop up several.

Decided Praji could join the group here....

Reaction score
Yes, I agree that Sideshow should offer up some spare bases for sale, I would certainly be looking to pickup several of them.

I would also like to see them add some environment options... Like a rocky/sand based version for the Sandtroopers and a Death Star tile based version for the new Tie Pilot.

Reaction score
I've been wanting this figure from the first preview images we saw. However, after feeling a bit burned by the vast differences between the Medicom TIE Pilot prototype and production figure, I decided to wait until people started posting their in hand pictures. Fortunately, the production figure looks just as good as the prototype, so I'll most likely end up buying this once my most recent credit card payment clears (I pay the money into my credit card, then use the card for the purchase, this way I build up my credit rating AND get rewards points).

It's nice to know that the holster is easily removable, because taking that off will probably be the first thing I do. And the height issue doesn't bother me too much, since this will be the only 12" figure in my collection right now. If it does get to be an issue later, then there is an easy fix. I bought Hasbro's 12" TIE Pilot, back in 1997, and became bothered by the height after a little while, so I ended up using a Dremel tool to cut about 1/8" to 1/4" out of the legs, mid-thigh, then used short metal rods and super-glue to reattach the legs and it worked perfectly. That seems a little drastic for a $200 figure, so I'll probably look into getting a spare body to modify, just in case I screw it up.

Oh yeah, and the blank top for the base is actually a plus, it makes it much more likely that I will actually use it. If there was a giant Star Wars logo plastered across the top of the base, then I wouldn't even bother taking it out of the box. Either way, I might still pick out a different base later; but only because those "crotch cradle" bases look a bit bizarre. I prefer the bases with a ring that clips around the figure's waist.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I ordered this guy off of Amazon, since I don't like Sideshow's policy of using UPS and requiring signature confirmation on orders over $185 (I work out of town and am never around during UPS' regular delivery hours and UPS doesn't deliver on weekends).

Anyways, it arrived today and all I can say is "WOW!" I was expecting to get all nitpicky, since TIE Pilots are some of my favorite Imperials and no one has really done them justice in toy format yet (the 2004 OTC figure being the best version in Hasbro's line, with the exception of his silly "sticking up a convenience store" arm). However, even if I wanted to, there is very little to nitpick about this guy. The helmet is still slightly too small to be completely film accurate, but it doesn't take anything away from the figure at all. Not like the tiny helmet on the Medicom figure that completely ruined that version, IMO.

I'm having a bit of an issue trying to change out the hands, since the little ball-joints from the fists stay inside the arm when I pull the fists off. So I'm going to have to try to find a way to remove the ball-joints from the extra hands before I can attach them. I'm planning to use the relaxed hands, not the gun-gripping hands (since I still think the standard Imperial blaster is too large of a weapon for a pilot to be carrying), so I'll probably experiment with boiling water on the gun-grip hands to see how easy the ball-joints are to remove.

The only downside to all this is that I didn't get the exclusive version with the vintage Kenner blaster. I might have to try to track one of those down on eBay.

Reaction score
Hey BB, just a heads up on UPS. If you sign up for Mychoice (it's free) you can sign automatically for your packages. You can also have the package held for up to a week at a local UPS store, also for free. Anyhow just thought I'd mention it as I'm almost never around to get my packages either.
Congrats on getting the figure. Seems like one of Sideshow's stronger efforts.

Reaction score
IMG_39982.JPG

Did you take this picture with a phone? I've noticed that the helmet looks really different compared to other photos in this thread and the figure that I hold in my hand. Before seeing the figure in person, I was a bit worried that this was an indication of variances in the molding process and I was worried that the helmet was going to be too narrow; but now I think it looks more like the minor fisheye distortion created by a wide-angle lens. When I look at the figure through my iPhone, I see the same distortion to the helmet on my figure that is in your photos.

Hey BB, just a heads up on UPS. If you sign up for Mychoice (it's free) you can sign automatically for your packages. You can also have the package held for up to a week at a local UPS store, also for free. Anyhow just thought I'd mention it as I'm almost never around to get my packages either.

Thanks for the heads up. We used to have a couple of UPS stores in my area, but they both went out of business and the nearest UPS location is over 50 miles away. So, unfortunately not really practical for me. Sometimes they will drop the package off at my local post office and the USPS delivery people make the delivery; but not always and, even when they do, it adds several days to the whole process. I didn't want to go through all the frustration of a bunch of missed deliveries for an item I have been waiting so long for; so paying a little bit of extra money through Amazon was totally worth the completely stress free transaction process.

Reaction score
Yeah I hear you. I usually just sign for the package online and then they just drop it off. I've done the UPS store for a couple of the more expensive items but it usually adds a day as they reroute it. Plus if you don't have one then it's not an option. They do let you switch the shipment to a different address (work let's say) but I think they charge $5-$10 for that type of thing.

Reaction score
Here's a quick photo of my TIE Pilot figure:
sstiepilot_1.jpg

It's like a screen used prop shrunk down to 1/6 scale. Really excellent work by Sideshow!

Reaction score
Did you take this picture with a phone? I've noticed that the helmet looks really different compared to other photos in this thread and the figure that I hold in my hand. Before seeing the figure in person, I was a bit worried that this was an indication of variances in the molding process and I was worried that the helmet was going to be too narrow; but now I think it looks more like the minor fisheye distortion created by a wide-angle lens. When I look at the figure through my iPhone, I see the same distortion to the helmet on my figure that is in your photos.

Yes, the picture was taken with my iphone.

Reaction score
Here's a quick photo of my TIE Pilot figure:

It's like a screen used prop shrunk down to 1/6 scale. Really excellent work by Sideshow!

That's an amazing shot showing clearly all the details of this figure...
& what a gorgeous figure it is!! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, the picture was taken with my iphone.

That's what I figured. I love my iPhone, but they don't really have the best cameras for taking close up photos of small objects. They're more designed for your standard, wide-angle, everyday photography.

That's an amazing shot showing clearly all the details of this figure...
& what a gorgeous figure it is!! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! B)

I've also been using this photo to try to gauge just how small the helmet is compared to the screen used helmets. Which is kind of tough, because you have to take into consideration the focal length of the camera lens and the camera position when using photographs to measure something with any degree of accuracy at all. Which, of course, is never information that is available when you stumble across a photo on the internet. In general, though, I think the helmet is only about 10% too small, maybe not even that much, which isn't really that bad. The only reason I notice it is because TIE Pilots have been my favorite Imperials for over 20 years and I've been studying them and saving every photo of the screen used helmets that I come across for almost that same amount of time.

Reaction score
I've been considering modifying my TIE Pilot to make him shorter, but think I will try out the modification on a separate body. This way I can go back to the original body if I mess it up somehow. So I came across this on eBay and wondered if anyone knew for sure if this was the correct body for the figure. I've heard a lot of talk about these overseas dealers selling bootleg or factory reject parts for the toys and wondered if that's what this was:

Sideshow 1 6 Star Wars Imperial Tie Fighter Pilot Excl Perfect Body | eBay

Reaction score
I was thinking the Luke X-Wing body could be an option as it probably has the same type of pegs.

Reaction score
Sideshow TIE Fighter Pilot arrived, a very cool figure, IMO the best 1/6 TIE Pilot:

Sideshow%20TIE%20Fighter%20Pilot%2009.jpg

Excellent Sergiu!!
I was wondering- since for the TFA First Order Tie Pilot, Hot Toys used a 'hard rubber hose',
did SSC use the more flexible type of rubber for the Imperial Tie Pilot's hoses?

Reaction score
Not sure how flexible or hard is the TFA one

According to some who shared 'the TFA hose is quite hard that you almost can't move the helmet Left or Right at all
and fearing the hose might snap if used to much force....

I have a medicom Tie Pilot & the hoses are quite flexible that you can pose the helmet facing Left or Right
without the hoses pulling the helmet back to face front

Reaction score
The SSC TIE Pilot hoses are similar in flexibility to the Medi. So not too hard, you can rotate the head slightly

Reaction score
Finally have pulled the trigger on that one. 20% off and free shipping at a local comic/import seller here, it was his last one in stock since about one year.

Reaction score
Congrats. It's a really nice figure, always nice to get a deal like that.

Reaction score
Still a great looking figure. Curious to see what Hot Toys could do with that design. Possibly a more poseable version but other than that, not much to make it look better.

Reminds me i'm still looking for a neck joint for mine following a body swap.

Reaction score
Well, back when Sideshow released their RO Tie Pilot, i was really interested in adding it to the collection. Loved the new helmet deco but didn't like the flight suit.
I then chased an older, ANH style flight suit and body to use with that new helmet but body didn't come with neck joint. Back then, i never thought a Sideshow neck would be so hard to come by. 4 years later, i do have a nice duet of Tie fighter pilots on the shelf but one's still missing a neck. I may end up getting a full HS for him and display with helmet off.