Spider-Man Out Of The MCU (Thanks To Sony)

Reaction score
I do wonder how they will address it in-world, now that almost everyone knew Peter. Will they just act like nothing ever happened, or will they make some offhand comment like Deadpool would.

Reaction score
For the record, Peter's parents were secret agents. It was in an annual or something.

I'm not gong to fret about Spidey leaving the MCU until the next movie comes out. A lot can happen between them.
Tony and Peter's relationship came out in the Civil War comics. The movies are glossing over decades of comics to fit their films. I'm OK with that.

We don't need another origin story. A picture or obscure phrase is enough. I feel he was given a one off reference in the Marvel movies and I was content with that. (I haven't seen the latest movie though yet so IDK about it.). Recently, movies treat their audience like they are idiots. We don't need to be hit over the head.
The line "With great power..." IS Uncle Ben. That's all we need.

Reaction score
IT'S OFFICIAL! SPIDEY is BACK in the MCU! Now for me, that was inevitable. Of course they'd reach an agreement. My concern was more so how LONG it would take because the longer the more delayed his films will be. But great news.

Reaction score
Hopefully Morbius and Venom 2 bomb so Sony has less leverage next time they have to make a deal again. And so they don't make a Madame Web movie... ugh.

Reaction score
I do wonder how they will address it in-world, now that almost everyone knew Peter. Will they just act like nothing ever happened, or will they make some offhand comment like Deadpool would.
I could see them using a Skrulls type thing where Peter denies being Spiderman and the Avengers state that Mysterio was tricked/ manipulated by the Skrulls thus tying in Captain Marvel. Afterall Far from Home did have Skrulls portraying Nick Fury so anything is possible.

Reaction score
In hindsight, I think Sony was always going to agree. They just held out because they figured that Marvel/Disney wanted him more than they did. Honestly I don't see why Spidey couldn't have done the Venom Cameo like they had planned.

Reaction score
It’s good news for Disney, which means it’s good news for us.

GNT

Reaction score
Spider man get 1 more Solo film and one cameo/avenger type film is all that's guaranteed at the moment but better then nothing.

Reaction score
Spider man get 1 more Solo film and one cameo/avenger type film is all that's guaranteed at the moment but better then nothing.
That's what we were supposed to get before the deal broke down so at worst, we're back where we started. In fact, some reports seemed to indicate that we were going to get one more solo Spider-Man movie in the MCU, but that that his last crossover appearance would be Endgame. There seemed to be some confusion over that but if that was the case, then this new deal is actually gets us one more movie than we expected.

In any case, when these two movies are done, there's a pretty good chance the deal between Marvel/Disney and Sony (or whoever owns Sony by then) will be renegotiated and extended.

Reaction score
In any case, when these two movies are done, there's a pretty good chance the deal between Marvel/Disney and Sony (or whoever owns Sony by then) will be renegotiated and extended.
That's what I'm assuming as well ... except that, if someone else buys Sony, the rites to Spider-Man and ALL related characters immediately revert back to Disney/Marvel Studios. They are non-transferable via any sale.

Reaction score
That's what I'm assuming as well ... except that, if someone else buys Sony, the rites to Spider-Man and ALL related characters immediately revert back to Disney/Marvel Studios. They are non-transferable via any sale.
Yeah, I thought I remembered hearing that. Well then that's even better.

Reaction score
Well I mean, it's like I said...for most people of intelligence, it was never so much an issue that Spider-Man was done. It was an issue of how LONG would this issue take to be resolved. Now that it has been, honestly I think the deal will be altered for longer and longer so long AS the films keep being both financially and critically/audience successful.

Reaction score
Isn't Apple looking to buy Sony?

Reaction score
...if someone else buys Sony, the rites to Spider-Man and ALL related characters immediately revert back to Disney/Marvel Studios. They are non-transferable via any sale.
long answer:

- Sony Corporation owns the rights to Spiderman (which are non-transferable); Sony Corporation also owns "Sony Pictures Entertainment".

- IF Sony Corporation stops releasing Spiderman movies, then the rights will revert back to Marvel.
(this is what happened with Ghost rider -- Sony stopped making movies in 2011, and Marvel got the rights back in 2013).

- IF Apple were to acquire Sony Pictures, they would NOT get the rights to Spiderman in the same deal.
the rights to Spiderman would actually STAY with Sony Corporation.

- Having sold "Sony Pictures" to Apple, and with no ability to make Spiderman movies on their own anymore,
the rights would revert back to Marvel (from Sony Corporation) after 2 years.

- the ONLY way that Apple would get BOTH "Sony Pictures" AND "the Rights to Spiderman",
would be if Apple were to acquire ALL of "Sony Corporation" and not just "Sony Pictures Entertainment".

(and that will never happen).

short answer:

not "immediately" but, yes. Marvel WOULD get the rights back. just like Ghost Rider.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't see Sony Corp ever selling out. But who knows, Disney bought Fox. So i imagine if the opportunity ever came about they would, if it meant getting Spider-Man back 100%. Once they make enough Money rebooting the X-Men Franchise they should be able to. I'm sure the MCU's success is what allowed the Fox buyout.