Spencer L. Brinkerhoff III: Part IX

Reaction score
Above the Dark Ink Celebration page reveals is a link to see other artists who aren’t in the ACME booth. Spencer’s Is revealed there. Very interesting...

Reaction score
It’s def different and very cool. Spence can you give us some insight into this? I know you’ve done Shadow boxes in the past, but was this a newer idea to pitch or had you been wanting to try this for a past Celebration? Did you receive any resistance from the Art Show people? And finally why this scene?

Reaction score
ha HAAAA!!!!!! I remembered my password!!!! :D

Hey Gang, it's great to be back in the Celebration family and great to be back at making some Star Wars art.

It’s def different and very cool. Spence can you give us some insight into this? I know you’ve done Shadow boxes in the past, but was this a newer idea to pitch or had you been wanting to try this for a past Celebration? Did you receive any resistance from the Art Show people? And finally why this scene?
I wondered really how this piece would be received, especially since it's so different from my other Celebration art. So I guess here's a little heart to heart exclusive for you all... I sincerely missed being part of the Celebration art show. I felt that after the Disney purchase there was a shift in focus on the art show and there weren't accepting as many "animated" styled art prints. So I started to try different styles and was passed over again for the last two events. So this time around I went back to my roots. I've always created a ShadowBox for each of my art prints, and have even offered a few commissions, so I started to research if I could make this thing a reality. I found a company that could manufacture the ShadowBoxes, but they were all cut-paper instead of printing. So I decided to adapt my style and give this a shot.

So, there are a TON of people that submit their concept art to be part of the show. It's my understanding that all the artist's names are removed from the art, and then they are voted on to decide which ones should be included in the show. And the closer to being a finished piece, the better your chances are to getting in. To increase the chances of this thing actually going through, I purchased a LED ShadowBox, ripped it apart, and then cut out my concept art on to layers and shipped it over to Lucasfilm. After I received word that I was going to be in the art show they called and asked me if I actually had a plan on how I was going to make all these. I assured them that I have a manufacturer and then we moved forward.

Since I needed to change up my style a bit to work within the cut-paper style of ShadowBox, I started to look through a lot of different reference material. One of the things that I discovered is the wonderful amount of detail that can be put into this type of art. Lots of very fine, and small cuts. I thought that it would be interesting to hide easter eggs throughout the art and a scene like the swamp with it's intricate details would help me hide things. SOOOO, I figured I would have Yoda, meditating, looking into the past and the future, connecting with the force and I've *SPOILER ALERT* hidden 11 other images within the vines to add to the depth of the scene.

So, that's the long and short of it. :D

Reaction score
Spencer, that shadow box is amazing. How long does something like that take to cut?
Thanks! Sorry to disappoint you all, but the first one was the only one that I cut a built myself. I've been working with a manufacturer to get them all produced. One of the stipulations in the Lucasfilm contract is that all of the 250 pieces have to be identical.

Reaction score
Thanks for jumping in and grabbing a ShadowBox during the pre-order. I'll be posting a higher resolution image a bit later, there are some extra details that I want to share... :D

Reaction score
That's awesome! Can't wait to learn more about it. I'm number 98 and bought it before I knew it had so may secrets.

BTW Spencer, are you doing the YouTube videos again this year? I think I probably bought 2 or 3 more prints last time than I intended to because of you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's awesome! Can't wait to learn more about it. I'm number 98 and bought it before I knew it had so may secrets.

BTW Spencer, are you doing the YouTube videos again this year? I think I probably bought 2 or 3 more prints last time than I intended to because of you.
HAHAHAHA! That's funny! so, um, I guess I should say sorry?... :D

Things have been a bit of a whirlwind and I don't have any plans to do the artist interviews at this time. BUT, we've still got some time before the show.

Reaction score
Got #227 today. Very cool. I spotted several hidden images, not sure how many there are so I may be missing some.

Again, Spencer is great to deal with!

Spencer, my 4 year old son was much more enamored with the Vader card that was in the box. He is ticked that I won’t give it to him.