Specials: "Darth Plagueis" Roundtable

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Kyle Newman, Paul Bateman, and Random House's Erich Schoenweiss join us for an in-depth roundtable review of James Luceno's long-awaited novel, Darth Plagueis.

Click here to listen!

ForceCast T-shirts:
Order yours today!

ForceCast Podcast Mobile Apps:
Have the entire ForceCast archives at your fingertips, plus bonus shows and exclusive content!
Download for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad
Download for Android OS Devices (running 2.1 or higher)

Direct Download:
Download the show directly to your PC or Mac here

Take Our Survey
Help us get to know you better by answering a few questions about yourself, how you listen, likes, dislikes... we want to know it all!
Standard Survey
Abbreviated Version

Listen to The ForceCast: LIVE
Be part of the action Wednesdays at 8:00 PM ET only at ForceCast.Net!

Reaction score
Just about to listen now, experience tells me it will quickly devolve into an EU bashing extravaganza, and how that because this Novel has slightly more canonicity, the Minutia is less trivial... I really hope I'm proven wrong :)

Edit: Pleasently surprised :) There was of course the Jmac canon disclaimer, the Jason venom, and the kyle Newman mockery of other EU. But I was very very happy to hear Jason say he wanted everyone to enjoy all Star Wars (except games lol), and I was also happy to hear Paul had read tales of the Jedi (My favorite Star Wars comic). Still a little less love for the EU than I'd like, but Great Podcast. I've obviousley already read and loved the Darth Plagueis Novel, but glad they like it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind comments Adam. I'm a big fan of quite a bit of the EU, especially the comics. LOVED Tales of the Jedi - nothing would make me happier than movies based on those early stories. I've listened to almost every audio book there is, though I only really dig a small percentage of them. Very mixed standard of writing across the board. Wish Brian Daley was still with us! ;)

Reaction score
Anyone else think that when Palpatine told the droid that belonged to Plagueis that he would need to be re-named and given a new body that it was going to be renamed GH-7 and turn out to be the same droid that delivered Padme's babies? Wouldn't that be a major head trip if Palpatine somehow was still in communication with the droid at the end of ROTS and he gave it the order to secretly euthanize her? The whole "She lost the will to live" was just a cover up and Padme was actually murdered. Of course Palpatine would then have to know about the twins surviving but I always suspected he knew about them the whole time anyway.

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind comments Adam. I'm a big fan of quite a bit of the EU, especially the comics. LOVED Tales of the Jedi - nothing would make me happier than movies based on those early stories. I've listened to almost every audio book there is, though I only really dig a small percentage of them. Very mixed standard of writing across the board. Wish Brian Daley was still with us! ;)
I completely agree, I personally don't like the New Jedi Order series :) My main concern is is sometimes feels a bit like "Us vs Them" when the EU is brought up, and I'm proudly one of the "Kooks". So it was a real treat to hear my favorite Star Wars people talking about things I love in a positive light :)

Really looking forward to more Big EU release roundtables!

Reaction score
Anyone else think that when Palpatine told the droid that belonged to Plagueis that he would need to be re-named and given a new body that it was going to be renamed GH-7 and turn out to be the same droid that delivered Padme's babies? Wouldn't that be a major head trip if Palpatine somehow was still in communication with the droid at the end of ROTS and he gave it the order to secretly euthanize her? The whole "She lost the will to live" was just a cover up and Padme was actually murdered. Of course Palpatine would then have to know about the twins surviving but I always suspected he knew about them the whole time anyway.
That's a cool idea! I was also left wondering about 11-4D's final fate; I might be a bit biased towards medical droids, but I loved that character. It'd be great if he were one of the droids who worked on Vader at the end of Ep III...

Reaction score
That's a cool idea! I was also left wondering about 11-4D's final fate; I might be a bit biased towards medical droids, but I loved that character. It'd be great if he were one of the droids who worked on Vader at the end of Ep III...
I have a feeling we are going to get a trilogy of books that are part of this same story arc. The next one will fill in the gap between Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones then a third one that leads from Episode II to Revenge of the Sith. There is still much more story to tell IMHO. I want to hear more on Dooku's turn to the dark side in the next book.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I thought 11-4D was a bit unnecessary. Still loved the book and the RT. =)

Reaction score
I thought this was a great discussion, even with everybody talking over each other on occasion. I would've liked to hear more from Jimmy and Erich, and I do agree with Jimmy's stance on Anakin's creation. That felt very plainly said in the text to me, but it is fun to endlessly speculate. Part of the fun, as we all know, are the mysteries of Star Wars!

Reaction score
One thing I did notice, a few questions aked of Erich, that James Luceno himself had covered in the Jedi Journals Podcast, ie; Pre-Del Rey inclusion, For example, Regarding Canonicity: James and GL emailing each other about the concept of Plagueis' Species, Look and Character.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Podcast was a good listen. Thanks, gentlemen. Only wish it coulda been even longer. The discussion hardly touched on the whole Sifo-Dias/Count Dooku/Maul stuff.

Maybe a Part II sometime down the road?

Reaction score
How about doing a podcast on the Heir to the Empire Trilogy since this is 20th Anniversary of the book series that launched the new era of Star Wars

-Chris

Reaction score
It was a great roundtable, I wish it could've been longer though. There is so much to address in this novel, that over two hours wasn't enough. There definitely needs to be a pt 2 of the roundtable.

Reaction score
Enjoyed the roundtable. Some good discussions here. However, I cringed every time Erich would pronounce Plagueis incorrectly, even after the group agreed on how to say it.