Spaceport Playset

Reaction score
Stephen, how do make all the posters, pictures, etc. that small and still keep them as sharp and clear as they are? BTW you should start charging admission for people to come over and play with that Spaceport.

Reaction score
Stephen, how do make all the posters, pictures, etc. that small and still keep them as sharp and clear as they are? BTW you should start charging admission for people to come over and play with that Spaceport.

Not sure who Stephen is but my name is Chris. Ol' Stevie made a Spaceport also? lol
As for the signage and flyers and printed details, I just take an existing image or one I designed, and resize to what I need and print it out. Not much to it. I try to maintain the resolution when downsizing but but it's really just a matter of shrink to what you need and slap it on.
Here are a few recent Instagram pics of Rotgut Station.
www.instagram.com/empiretoyworks
www.facebook.com/empiretoyworks

Reaction score
just incredible! the details are amazing and I love that you have the Space 1999 ship docked alongside Slave-1.

Reaction score
Great work. Love the scenes. The scene with the Twi'leks and the Mando...hmm.......there's something familiar about that guy.......I just can't seem to place it, though...................

Reaction score
Great work. Love the scenes. The scene with the Twi'leks and the Mando...hmm.......there's something familiar about that guy.......I just can't seem to place it, though...................

Yeah, I managed to create a custom head of myself by shaving down an Acid Rain Bob head to be bald. Luckily, after shaving down the head, it snugly fit a Mando helmet so I was able to piece the rest of the figure together to have a super articulated Mando Me.

Reaction score
Several things...
I like the filter you used, that is, if it was intentional, to give the pics a comic panel look..
Who are the two figures under the pawn shop/drug mart signs?
Is it......done? I don't see much more you can do without spreading into the rest of the house!

Great work as always, I am very envious and stopped showing the pics in this thread to my seven year old a loooooong time ago....

Reaction score
Great new pics. I love this thing.

I know these are made out of wood, but there are some drink machines, in one pic with the Twi'lek the machine has the word Lube on it. Are those also made out of wood or are they from Playmobil? My kids have one of those drink machines, so I was just wondering if they are the same.

Reaction score
Great new pics. I love this thing.

I know these are made out of wood, but there are some drink machines, in one pic with the Twi'lek the machine has the word Lube on it. Are those also made out of wood or are they from Playmobil? My kids have one of those drink machines, so I was just wondering if they are the same.

Those vending machines are from a modified and then molded and cast model. This way I can make variations of these in numerous colors and assorted labeling.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I thought they looked familiar, but different as well. That explains it then.

Reaction score
Yeah, I never get tired of looking at the pics of this master piece...there is so much to see. I just now noticed the x-ray on the wall in the clinic...LOL!

This diorama really reminds me of how my friends and I use to play with our Star Wars figures. Though we never had anything this elaborate, we would use any and all of our other toys and action figures to compliment our Star Wars stuff. Fisher Price Adventure people, Micronauts, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, Playmobil...if it was 3 3/4" scale, it all contributed to the play universe. For the longest time, the FP Ski Boat served as the Millennium Falcon, then was replaced by the Space 1999 Eagle when my friend got one.

Reaction score
LOL, was looking back at some of the previous pics again and realized I made almost the same exact comment almost a year ago! Still hold true though.

Reaction score
Love the mix of different figures ... and somehow they all seem to fit?

Since I saw this the first time I've attempted to track down 3 3/4" figures of some of those like Twikki, Lost-in-Space Robot, VINCENT, etc and have gotten a couple. I feel like eventually I'll have a giant cantina and just put all sorts of crazy action figures in there.
I bought the Men in Black aliens recently and I have a new favorite.... I bought a Grinch in christmas sweater 3 3/4"! He'll be in a booth by himself eventually HA

Reaction score
I customized this Miles from Tomorrowland Rapscallion into an assault speeder lurking around the city.

Reaction score
I like the speeder and that hammerhead design. Matches the larger ships. And the barbecue's is cool too.

God I wish Hasbro would re-release or remake those Kenner mini-rigs. :{h

Reaction score
I’ve started populating the Spaceport with ships that are inspired by Rotgut Station itself.
This is The Monchhichi, a modified Corellian freighter converted into a gunship.
Customized from a ‘95 Kenner Falcon using various GI Joe, Lanard and custom cast parts and accessories.

Reaction score
Hi Empire,

Thank you for sharing these awesome photos. Very inspiring. I guess you are proving that there is no need to buy those expensive plastic playsets after all, if one's got the time, interest, and talent to do otherwise. Your boys must be thrilled.

I wonder: do you involve them in the construction, specification and design process? And whose paracosm is it?

The reason I am asking is that, seeing your work, I am tempted to do something similar ( get started at least ), but my concern would be that, if I really got into it ( which for me is definitely a risk ), it might in some ways inhibit my kids' creativity by 'doing it all' for them...

Cheers.

MV00110101

[ Protocol Droid: "Sir, I believe it's 'Moisture Vaporator #5' ...in human language." ]

P.S. I have been reading up on 'paracosms' ( imaginary 'parallel worlds' ), from a child development perspective, lately, and they appear to be more than just a fun and creative outlet ( correlated with high intelligence in kids, and creative breakthroughs in their chosen fields, later on, BTW ), but are also essentially a means for kids to achieve agency, i.e. independence + individuation -- from their parents ! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks! As for Rotgut Stations existence, it’s really within it’s own universe created from bits and nods toward all other franchises. In my head, Rotgut Spaceport is a formally abandoned mining rig within a large cavernous asteroid. Overtime it was developed by and expanded by squatters, space pirates, scavengers and refugees from other worlds. Access in or out is controlled thru a webwork of access tunnels and chambers. I figure the station itself is within a nexus of all universes. It’s a Galactic truck stop between thousands of universes. And if you really wanted to connect the dots you can see examples of this even within the Star Wars movies with the existence of E.T. In episode 1, Bossk wearing a spacesuit from a Doctor Who Episode, a pod from Space 2001 seen in Watto’s junkyard etc.
The Cloverfield universe existing within the new Star Trek universe.
Firefly seen within Battlestar Galactica.
Those Easter eggs and threads of connections are always there and I wanted to create something that might be considered a waypoint along those paths.
I mainly just love a bunch of scifi nerdom and wanted to include it all without being constricted by any existing designs.
My sons are 11 and 14 and both are more interested in video game worlds more than anything but they contribute with ideas from time to time. (Me religiously playing Borderlands is what sparked me to create my own hodgepodge city)
From me building this spaceport playset, I was able to create a full time business of making toys so I can’t really complain.

Reaction score
...of course, the hollowed out asteroid! It makes sense why you added stalagtite-like structures to the overhanging wall / ceiling. I am happy you've turned this hobby into something you can do full-time -- that sure beats the drudgery of so-called 'proper' work, I bet ( depending on the work )!

BTW, have you looked into UV Led printers? They're pretty affordable, now, via Aliexpress: in the $1000 to $3000 range ( used to be in the $5000 -- from China --, last time I checked, 3 years ago ). You could easily create raised patterns, as well as mix matte and reflective surfaces, by printing directly onto the wood! Ex: landing platform paneling, computer screens ( with one or two passes of clear coat ink to give them extra reflectivity -- no decals necessary! -- ), micro greeblies like: rivets, access panel handles, keyboards, etc. I believe it's possible to print in silver and gold ink, as well. The other benefit, besides easy duplication, is that the realism would go through the roof, since you could essentially apply embossed textures, 3D video-game style -- though it might look less 'handcrafted' ( though weathering and aging could always be added manually, I imagine ). Just an idea...

Last edited:
Reaction score
These are my Denizens of Rotgut Station, custom spaceport characters.

Wang, Owner of Wangs Tacos

Lenny and Squiggy

Mayor Grizmak, owner of Grizmak Tools

Reaction score
Morrt, Ithorian spacer

T5-TR, droid owner of The Blue Waffle Bar & Lounge

Mongdoolian Monk Merchants, mysterious alien vendors of Rotgut Station

Reaction score
Monchhichi, "franken-freighter" gunship with upgraded gyroscopic B-Wing cockpit add-on
Fully functiona, this allows the pilot to stay locked on the "horizon" or the orientation of their target no matter what position their vessel rotating.
I was able to graft a Dagger Squadron B-Wing cockpit perfectly onto a '95 Kenner Falcon and maintain the gyro function.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I hope Lenny has "One wolf" on the back of his jacket!

Those are some really cool customs. I like the use of the Rathtar tentacles. I bought a few for the same reason (and to make a Grell, which I always wanted).