Spaceport Playset

Reaction score
So after basically (kinda) completing the Spaceport I realized that it pretty much just looked and felt like a big honkin' playset in the corner of a room. I wanted it to basically be part of the room and to have the walls around it act as a backdrop to the overall Blade Runner, Total Recall, Fifth Element vibe I was trying to achieve. PLUS increase and extend the play value along with acting as storage/display shelves for all the various ships and figures

So I did this....

(I'll tease you with a few first)

Yeah, I turned the walls into another playset.

Reaction score
It took me about a month or so doing one building every few days.

Reaction score
I wanted more shops to really give the city a populated commercial feel but really didn't want to have to do all the interior detail work and deal with all the props and furniture and layout etc. So I kept everything tight against the wall and basically made it all a facade that has the feel of depth to it but is still functional for staging a sniper, landing a ship or having a good shoot-out in the street.

Reaction score
Since I had this corner to deal with I made it a deeper "courtyard" play area.
(There's more below it"

Reaction score
I always figured Jabba might have a vacation parlor here at Rot Gut.

And this is basically how it fills the corner of the playroom...

Reaction score
I'm almost weeping. Don't worry, though... They are happy tears!

I'm just floored by the imagination. I must try wine the next time I need some creativity...

Michael

Reaction score
Think of the time and effort that it took to create this. Think of the resources. Think of the environment of this home. It's so much, and I'm so overwhelmed that I didn't even know what to say. There's so much that I like that I feel like I have to write an essay on it just to do it justice. I suspect most of the people who view this thread feel that way. But you deserve to hear from people that we like your work:

1. I really like the Japanese signs. Some kanji and some other scripts. It really adds diversity, and it's a real testament to your creativity. Is some of it Chinese characters/Mandarin? I really like that.
2. I like the narrow design, and the thought you put into the seedy stores, like the strip-club.
3. I love the various signs, all crammed together like the bad part of LV, or even like an Asian city.
4. And I love the balconies. It's a wonderful little feature that I wouldn't have thought of.

So much creativity. I absolutely love looking at it. Thank you.

Reaction score
Wow. My jaw is absolutely on the floor. There are probably more questions i'm going to be bugging you with regarding these pictures, but for now I just have to say absolutely amazing work. Stunning. I wish I could have had this set up as a kid. I can't tell you how many hours would have been spent here....

Reaction score
This is great. What an awesome idea to turn the walls into high rise playsets meeting in the corner. That gives a great backdrop when playing with the freestanding space station. Pure brilliance.

2. I like the narrow design, and the thought you put into the seedy stores, like the strip-club.
And that made me wonder. . . How does your wife feel about you making strip club and liquor store playsets for your kids? :)

-Stephen

Reaction score
How does your wife feel about you making strip club and liquor store playsets for your kids? :)

-Stephen

It's all cool, she gets a kick out of it. My kids even thanked me for not making it all "babyish". And if you think about, kids are going to catch a glimpse of a "gentleman's club," or even a billboard for one, out a car window at least somewhere along their travels.
We just.......well....happen to have a miniature one attached to our playroom wall. :)

I've always justified it as this, Star Wars.
You have galactic genocide, each movie featured at least one if not several amputation scenes, numerous beheadings, the most iconic scene in movie history takes place in a bar, Han is basically a drug smuggler, tons of killings, Leia strangles a crime boss with a chain while wearing a metal bikini, a father trying to kill his son and the son is told to kill his father, Oola pops out of her mesh dance outfit in Jedi, Jar Jar Binks, Anakin kills Tusken children, Anakin kills younglings, Anakin strangles his pregnant wife, oh and the hottie with the see-thru pants in the Outlander Club. I mean it's basically the Nightly News only with laser guns.

Star Wars has some pretty gritty, adult themes laying right across the surface of it but it's hidden within all the amazing eye candy.

Reaction score
Bonus shots with Clover attacking the city with Zombies to the rescue.

Reaction score
Fantastic !

Buuut one small quibble:
Although it's not his name, the use of
On the tattoo parlour seems out of place.
Perhaps as it is the only series reference in your playset :wtf:
Mayhap you rename it to Skaro Tattoo or Davros Ink :whistling:

Just my 2 cents ;)
Spencer Dean Welch II?:>}

Reaction score
O.k. I just have to ask one question... The building/shelf that has the TIE fighter/Flash Speeder/Ferengi fighter... What is the 4th ship down?

Loving the Cloverfield photos, too. This thing just looks like so much fun. I want to come over and play. Erm, I mean, come over and set up figures... Not play. Why did I say "play?" ;)

Reaction score
I've always justified it as this, Star Wars.
You have galactic genocide, each movie featured at least one if not several amputation scenes, numerous beheadings, the most iconic scene in movie history takes place in a bar, Han is basically a drug smuggler, tons of killings, Leia strangles a crime boss with a chain while wearing a metal bikini, a father trying to kill his son and the son is told to kill his father, Oola pops out of her mesh dance outfit in Jedi, Jar Jar Binks, Anakin kills Tusken children, Anakin kills younglings, Anakin strangles his pregnant wife, oh and the hottie with the see-thru pants in the Outlander Club. I mean it's basically the Nightly News only with laser guns.
Ha ha. I love that you squeezed Jar Jar in there among a string of questionable influences on children. (I agree.) :)

But now you've done it. The Cloverfield monster? Your collection of pieces "I always wished I had for photographs" is really making me jealous.

-Stephen
https://www.facebook.com/StephenHayfordPlastics

Reaction score
Han a DRUG Smuggler! :eek: A smuggler yes! But DRUGS!?! :disgusted: NO WAY! He'd never pedal those death sticks! Not in my 1977 children's movie he wouldn't! He's a GUN smuggler! Ya that's the ticket! :p That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :whistling:

Reaction score
How fun is this, man? Great job. You're kids must really dig it. I would have loved this as kid. Reminds me a little of the Blade Runner street scenes. Love all the little details.

Reaction score
Speaking of buying, I know there was some talk on Yakface and here that you might be selling some unpainted buildings - is that still a plan you're pursuing? I know you've been selling your bombed out realistic buildings, but I would definitely be interested in buying a few of these Spaceport styled buildings...

Reaction score
I'd love to make some more sci-fi-ish styled buildings available (that's where my mind is anyway), it's just finding the time to actually build them. I wasn't expecting the consistent demand for the apocalyptic buildings that was kept me so busy. In fact, I'm working on a 4 story version of one of the bombed out buildings now that someone has requested. I'm testing the waters with one building design I have currently available now that somewhat bridges the look of the war zone/zombie bombed out buildings with more of the futuristic style buildings I populated the Spaceport with. It's still a stand alone playset but it could be coupled with any of my previous designs and fit right in. It's a Battle Damaged Outpost with Landing Platform. I love how it ended up considering I basically just designed as I built. I kept it simple and open so you could still add crates, furniture even control panels like it was an abandoned lab or remote command center. The landing platform is small but still large enough for most of the typical size Joe and Star Wars vehicles (Jedi Starfighters, Tie Interceptors, mini-rigs etc). Even the Imperial Shuttle can land on it.......of course, that last step off the boarding ramp would be a killer but the ship looks great on it. :)

Reaction score
No, I can't just leave it at that: my new plan is to quit my job, travel around the country buying Powerball tickets in every state until I win, and then give you all of it. Not to buy it from you, but just to THANK YOU for making this. It's not just the creativity and execution, but also the means, the means to which you have access. The figures, the figures themselves, not to mention the ships, and not even to mention the playset and details, are worth many, many thousands. For someone of your means to use 'em like this is beyond what I've come to expect in a harsh, forbidding world. Magnificent! Delightful! And yet also almost painful to see. You are, in my book, as lucky as any of those whom we all admire and of whom we are all so envious. I'm honestly not sure if I'd rather be LeBron James, Brad Pitt, or you. This is the greatest thing that I've ever seen.

Every day, after waking up, I'd just go in and rearrange the citizens in different "play scenarios." Who's in the bar today? Infinite potential.

If there's a heaven...I'd trade my 70 virgins for this.

Reaction score
Powerball winnings and 70 virgins would most likely be an easy trade.
I'm still dabbling with adding more random details within the Spaceport, especially on the "street" level.
Mostly assorted crates stacked here and there, a porta-potty, newspapers and flyers laying around etc.
I'm also power cables looped and dangling from the under sides of the landing platforms.

I use a lot of the cancelled Star Wars 1313 concept art as inspiration.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Along with all of the nostalgic little habits and traditions I have, viewing this thread has been added to them! I'm going to visit this periodically and absorb all the details as often as possible! Thank you, sir :wub:

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Here are a few pics I took when I got my new ReAction Alien figures.

I redid the Blue Waffle sign to give a bit more of a retro scifi 70's design.

My wife gave me a couple more PlayMobil port-a-potties for Christmas to add to the spaceport so I made full use of them after griming them up a bit and adding fliers and pinups to the doors. I also added more street litter and dollar store trash cans and benches.

Reaction score
Here are a few shots showing the cafe tables I added to the outside balcony of The Blue Waffle. The tables are basically decorative wooden knobs with wood bowls and bottle added to the surface. Tiny off-white beads super glued into the bowls creates the look of popcorn.

Reaction score
I have so many random props saved up that I wanted to use them to make a really grimey flea market setting in one of the box shelves on the wall panel playset surrounding the spaceport. I figured it would make a neat place to rough up or bribe some vendor for info. I love scenes like those in Blade Runner, Firefly and Farscape where the main characters have some sort of dealing in a bazaar or market place. All the "merchandise" items are permanently attached so no worries with the kids losing any pieces.