Spaceport Playset

Reaction score

Let me start off by saying.....I hate foamcore. Don't get me wrong, I'm in awe of all the amazing foamcore based dioramas I've seen here but I personally despise working with the stuff. It's perfect for true shelf top display pieces but the stuff I make is on the far end of the PLAYset side of the diorama spectrum. I have 2 boys ages 6 & 9 and I wanted to make them a ginormous city sized spaceport and I needed the thing to last thru not only their adventures but also those of their cousins, friends and well, me.

About 99% of the entire structure is wood, mainly a mix of 5/8" plywood for the actual buildings and 3/4" for the landing platforms. Most all the piping, panels, circuit boxes, furniture, cabinets and other greeblies are wood also. I can usually do the construction of a building within an afternoon but the interior layout, painting, details and props/furniture can take a week or so.....usually longer because I work on about 6 different sections at the same time plus I don't really draw up any plans ahead of time. Each building can be removed so the whole playset is basically modular. By the time had built the 3rd or 4th building I realized the whole thing was pretty much going to be a 3 dimensional jigsaw puzzle. So far, it all measures about 6 feet long, around 3 feet wide and 5 feet tall.....yeah, it takes up a little bit of space but several kids can play on it at the same time.

This spaceport started out with the idea of being basically a nexus of all sci-fi worlds. My kids play this way anyway (I do too) with mixing all their 3.75" toylines into their adventures. If every sci-fi universe were a major city then this spaceport would be a back roads truck stop where they can all converge, refuel, pick up supplies, get drunk, have an alien tryst, and get into a gun fight. This also frees me from anything needing to be screen or story accurate. Basically anything goes when it comes to the design theme of the whole structure. I wanted something along the lines of Mos Eisley meets Blade Runner meets Deadwood. I thought the name "Rot Gut Station" sounded great for this.

Here are a few quick cell phone shots of most of the exterior.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm currently working on the new side mounted lower level section which will feature a garage/landing platform, a police station with jail and a cargo bay with loading dock.

Reaction score
this looks amazing.... very jealous. this is the kind of playset I wish i had as a kid growing up.
Thanks, yeah those homemade cardboard box/dixie cup playsets I made as a kid I'm sure looked like this in my head tho.

Here's the interior of The Blue Waffle bar/lounge.

Reaction score
Man spectacular, what a great dad, what a joy it must be for your kids and you getting to play with that together, just beautiful stuff, congrats mate

Reaction score
LOL, And blue waffle, i forgot to mention have you googled that and seen the pics of blue waffle on the net, why did you chose to call it that lol, and WARNING when googling blue waffle disease , you dont want to be eating at the same time lol or looking it up at work..

Last edited:
Reaction score
My kids give me feedback on what new buildings they would like to have added. I joked about adding an alien daycare center for the kids of the spice pirates, smugglers and bounty hunters and they want that to be the next new section.

Reaction score
LOL, And blue waffle, i forgot to mention have you googled that and seen the pics of blue waffle on the net, why did you chose to call it that lol, and WARNING when googling blue waffle disease , you dont want to be eating at the same time lol or looking it up at work..
When I built the bar I had no idea what to name it. When it came time to paint I chose a random blue can of spray I already had on hand and figured The Blue Waffle name fit for a sleazy lounge and I guess the station med center makes a little cash on the Waffle's clientele as a result. It's kind of an educational playset.

Reaction score
Here is the diner you can access from the back of the bar. It's all a marketing ploy, place the only true restaurant on the station where you have to walk past the bar to get to it. However, they do serve actual waffles there.

Reaction score
This is the Robomart on the roof of the bar. They offer droid sales & service and where else will you find a Ferengi selling Twiki and a Cylon?

Reaction score
Here's the med center.
The station used to have functioning bacta tank but they converted it into a whiskey still so now it's all old school butcher doctoring done here
This one was fun to do, it comes equipped with a miniature bottle of Pepto Bismol and a bedpan.

Reaction score
Amazing work! I kinda want to live there now. :D
With as much tinkering I've done on it I kinda think I do.
When you start dreaming about how to make a wooden antenna array then it's time to take a break from the playset.

Reaction score
Wowzers-Awesome work and I have 2 enquires:
1)

Is that R4 unit a custom or sock Hasbro model?

2)

Where did you find a 1:18th scale Robbie the Robot?

Spencer Dean Welch II?:>}

Reaction score
This is the spiraling tower directly above the bar along with the gun shack.

Reaction score
Wowzers-Awesome work and I have 2 enquires:
1)

Is that R4 unit a custom or sock Hasbro model?

2)

Where did you find a 1:18th scale Robbie the Robot?

Spencer Dean Welch II?:>}
I had to zoom into the original but I think it's R4-A22 from one of the Entertainment Earth astromech droid packs.

The Robby the Robot is a wind-up I got probably almost 20 years ago.
But it's the perfect scale and detail for action figures.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is what happens when I build without planning......it actually turned out pretty cool tho. I needed something with an antenna array/DirecTV dish whatever to sort of top-off the center of the tower platform. So I built this open info-desk stand sort of thing but I had no idea what to have them actually sell out of it, if anything. My wife mentioned turning it into a mini-convenience store/newstand which did make sense with having random travelers coming and going thru a spaceport. I don't think the 7-11 company actually operates a kiosk but if they do then I hope it looks like this.

This also gave me the idea of this particular landing platform looking like it had been converted into a sort of market pavilion.
Which in turn forced me to make more shops.......it spreads like a disease.

Reaction score
This has gotta be the coolest spot in all of explored space!

I love every inch of this masterpiece and I know I will be scrutinizing the details for many, many days to come!

I do indeed love the hodge-podge of sci-fi universe - especially, as you point out, the Ferengi selling Twi Ki, the black hole guy, the terminator, Ewan McGregor's Robots character, etc. etc.

(years ago, in a photonovel, I couldn't resist the urge to sneak Morn into my bustling space bar)

EXTRAORDINARY WORK!!!!!!

Reaction score
I'm glad you guys dig it. I look at all the screen accurate dioramas folks post up with every niche and detail replicated precisely with original set design blueprints studied over and converted to the proper scale and I'm thinking I'll never have that kind of artistic discipline and patience, I'd be afraid to touch it after all that work invested in it. I slap a couple scraps of plywood together, paint it to look like a galactic K-Mart and have a Flash Gordon figure manning the register with Hammerhead playing janitor......actually that's not a bad idea, hmmm.

I think a lot of it has to do with me growing up watching tons of sci fi "B" movies. Especially the ones where it's blatantly obvious they were ripping off or riding the coattails of Star Wars. I'm a huge fan of Roger Corman sci fi flicks. Check out Battle Beyond the Stars (Star Wars meets The Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven) and probably my all time childhood ripoff favorite (it's sort of a ripoff of a ripoff) is Space Raiders. I'm positive that it subconsciously played a big part in the design and feel of doing this playset. I finally found it on DVD but it's been out of a limited print for years now. I think I watched it 3 times the week I got it.

Reaction score
Wangs and tacos... good fit.
Blue Waffle... nice.
Mels Diner... needs a Flo-bot I think. "Kiss my robo-grits!"

Reaction score
Here are the 2 shops I made so far with a 3rd in the works to sort of finish off the "shopping mall" area.
I knew I wanted a hotdog type stand somewhere in the city and it eventually became a taco shack.

The Men In Black 3 Mr. Wu figure made a perfect fit to be the owner of Wangs Tacos.

Reaction score
I had no intention of turning this into toy store but it turned out to be my favorite building. My kids went ape when they saw it.
They were mad tho when they realized all the toys in the store are permanently attached.

Reaction score
This is incredible! Hysterical and looks like loads of fun to play with. It definitely looks like a lived-in space that you'd find somewhere out on the fringes...

Reaction score
Holy s**t!! That is probably the coolest dio/playset I have ever seen! The details are awesome! Love the cylon!!

Reaction score
Wow, mind-blowing. I don't think I have a fraction of your skill - but this is the kind of playset that any kid (Or big kid) would want. Thank you for the inspiration.

Reaction score
This is the Robomart on the roof of the bar. They offer droid sales & service and where else will you find a Ferengi selling Twiki and a Cylon?
...and The Iron Giant, The Terminator, and Ewan McGregor's character from Robots! I love the poster from the film Metropolis. What fantastic detail!

Last edited:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Oh my sweet lord... I thought this was a thread I had already commented on with a similar title; little did I know what I was missing!! Perfection in every way.

Reaction score
Love your sense of humor in this diorama. Very entertaining!

Also love the Blue Waffle. It reminds me of the bar in Total Recall.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Spaceport Playse

I could not agree more this thing is simply "EPIC" what a great father you are. I can't even imagine the amount of "PLAY" hours your kids get from this. WELL DONE!
Holy s**t!! That is probably the coolest dio/playset I have ever seen! The details are awesome! Love the cylon!!

Reaction score
This is one of the coolest things that I have seen in quite a while!
Nice job! I love your use of assorted action figures for this multi-level, very unique set.
Thank you for sharing!!

Reaction score
Wow, that is so cool, I love the amount of detail you've put into this dio/playset, right down to those micro machines in the toy store...amazing work!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments.
I still have basically the other half of the spaceport I haven't really shown yet like the Motel rooms, the control tower along with the courthouse/council chamber, the jail house and a cargo bay/loading dock.