Sony's Morbius

Reaction score

Well...that was rather...surprising. Morbius has never been a very large Marvel/Spider-Man character, so I was always baffled by Sony doing a solo film. Just seemed like an odd choice. In fact, I always argued a (pseudo) Gothic vampire never really fit the tonal feel of the Spider-Man mythos. It's often (not always) more bright, colorful, and whimsy. Morbius always felt more like someone akin to say a Batman or Daredevil character, even Moon Knight. I know he was intended to show up in one of the old Blade movies, which adds up, but never did.

But with that said, I am rather shocked by how good this looks. Firstly, it appears to be very true to his comic origins. Much more accurate than Venom to, well, I always had issue with Spider-Man not being involved in the film as he's integral to Venom's origin. In fact, that's an interesting history on Morbius itself. They wanted to just do Dracula, but the "undead" at the time were not allowed by the comics code authority. So he becomes a vampire through less folklore or urban legend superstition means like classic blood suckers and instead through...well...science. That's why he's actually called "The Living Vampire," kind of funny how they found a loophole. I always wondered if Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend" novella played a role in the birth of Morbius.

But of course, the news, the bombshell, are the two scenes. 1. There's a graffiti Spider-Man on a wall that's been even more vandalized by it saying "Murderer" over it. That is very interesting and seems to reference how he "killed" (was framed by) Mysterio at the end of Far From Home. Plus note, that's the Toby McGuire Spidey suit. Can they just not use the Tom Holland costume/portray yet? Because despite it being the Toby suit, it appears in the Holland universe. But even bigger? Holy crap! Is that The Vulture from Homecoming? It's Keaton! It's the exact same jumpsuit he's wearing at the end of that film. Looks like he just broke out. It looks like the rumors are true, they're blending some of the Disney MCU with Sony. I think they only have rights to Spider-Man characters, I don't think they can even mention roles like Iron Man or Cap, but they could do vague continuity like how the Netflix shows referenced the Avengers Loki attack as "The Incident." They can get away with that. Is this the beginnings of a Sinister Six? Also apparently there is a truck on set that references Kraven...and then there's the rumors he'll show up in the new MCU Spider-Man film. Also hearing heavy rumors J. Jonah Jameson will appear in this.

And then also, now that this is confirmed...what does this also mean for the delayed, delayed, delayed, cancelled, now is happening New Mutants at Fox. Could this mean, now that Disney has the X-Men, it now being confirmed getting released again...could this be the MCU intro to the X-Men in combo with Fox? Cut a deal?

The implications here are huge. I'm wondering now if details of a deal may come out that Disney will LEND certain things to Sony and Fox to do a sort of "Dark MCU Universe," that hard PG-13 to even Rated R content, and Disney will do the more mainstream films that have less technicalities on what characters and plot beats can be used. They can pretty much use any of them save, perhaps, those begun by Fox or Sony on screen (New Mutants/Venom/Morbius/Carnage) And this to me becoming the game plan adds up as, well, look at the huge success of the Rated R Joker. If contemporary times have shown anything...there is a huge market for Rated R comic films now. They may want to dabble into this sort of thing. It just makes sense to me that Disney would be on board with something like this, it's basically free promotion for their films, but they wouldn't want to personally make the hard content violent sort of one-shot stories (just not their style) that may just cameo some larger characters of theirs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And then also, now that this is confirmed...what does this also mean for the delayed, delayed, delayed, cancelled, now is happening New Mutants at Fox. Could this mean, now that Disney has the X-Men, it now being confirmed getting released again...could this be the MCU intro to the X-Men in combo with Fox? Cut a deal?

The implications here are huge. I'm wondering now if details of a deal may come out that Disney will LEND certain things to Sony and Fox to do a sort of "Dark MCU Universe," that hard PG-13 to even Rated R content, and Disney will do the more mainstream films that have less technicalities on what characters and plot beats can be used. They can pretty much use any of them save, perhaps, those begun by Fox or Sony on screen (New Mutants/Venom/Morbius/Carnage) And this to me becoming the game plan adds up as, well, look at the huge success of the Rated R Joker. If contemporary times have shown anything...there is a huge market for Rated R comic films now. They may want to dabble into this sort of thing. It just makes sense to me that Disney would be on board with something like this, it's basically free promotion for their films, but they wouldn't want to personally make the hard content violent sort of one-shot stories (just not their style) that may just cameo some larger characters of theirs.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not interested in either one TBH. Never was much of a fan of Morbius, so I'll be waiting till Video. Same with New Mutants.

The X-Men franchise did with Logan, in my eyes. I was looking forward to them continuing with the girl that played X-23...

Reaction score
I'm not really interested in this either... but TBH, I would rather watch this over 'eternals' -- at least I'm familiar with this character. is it 'baffling' that Sony would choose to do a Morbius movie? probably. but I am FAR more 'baffled' that Marvel is doing 'eternals'. have both studios simply run out of comic books to make into movies? are we scraping the bottom of the barrel now? what about X-men? or FF?

Reaction score
Agree with you both. I thought it actually looked way better than it had any right to be, but I still won't be rushing out to see it. I'm just not a HUGE Morbius fan. But I do appreciate how seemingly accurate to the comics it is. What more so interests me though is just the implication of the MCU and Sony pseudo coworking.

I'm very familiar with New Mutants, but I will confess, I've never actually read one issue. I've been meaning to, but just never got to it. I was always of the opinion that X-Men went WAY too far with spin-off books. I mean, my God, how many wannabe X-Men teams are in continuity? X-Force, X-Factor, New Mutants, Gen. X, Excalibur, Alpha Flight, Exiles, Weapon X, X-Statix. That is all on TOP of also alternate timeline X-Men, even alternate dimension X-Men, and mutant villain teams too. I mean it keeps going and going and going. For me it just became enough is enough....just stop.

Last edited:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Well, MM, the one caveat is that new mutants was the very first spin off, so it probably shouldn’t be criticized based on the dozens of titles that came a little bit later or much later. I for one was a huge fan of new mutants at least up until Rob Liefeld took it over and converted them into X-force, so I’m extremely excited by that film. Morbius... maybe.

Reaction score
That is true. New Mutants always interested me more than most the others. For me, personally, I went through a phase of just studying the alternate mutant teams in the Marvel/X-Men universe. It's a task, at times feels like homework. But I wanted to get at least a basic knowledge of them all despite never really reading any outside of X-Men itself and some of the spin-off solo title books like Wolverine. I'm pretty convinced that the X universe literally makes up close to 50% of Marvel characters. It's huge, especially when you consider how massive Marvel at a whole is. X-Men is the only one I've gotten especially overwhelmed by. You have all these teams, then you factor in they're always ever changing rosters, then factor in alternate timelines, which gets super confusing at times.

The you even have X-Men and X characters that joined other Marvel teams like Beast on the Avengers and Iceman and Angel on the original Champions, possibly the oddest team-up ever. It was Iceman, Angel, Black Widow, Hercules, and Ghost Rider. To me, that just sounds like drawing names from a hat. After the original X team got dismissed, I always felt they really didn't know what to do with some of those roles, so they kind of just got shuffled anywhere as a placeholder until brought back to X-Men books. Case in point, Beast turns into "hairy" Beast in just his rather obscure solo title. You'd think something that integral to the character, that significant a change, would happen IN X-Men. He's not even blue, but grey originally. And to top it off, so many characters had pretty large personality alterations. Hank McCoy is almost a jock in the first few X-Men issues, he didn't really become the brainiac until later. Cyclops doesn't really become the iconic ***hole until Claremont came on-board. Jean is nowhere near as powerful until Claremont as well.

It's also fascinating to see that some major players in X-Men didn't even start out in X-Men. Apocalypse is a good example, starting in the original X-Factor.

One thing I've really been wanting to get into are much older obscure late 60's, 70's, and 80's B type titles, things like:

- Spectacular Spider-Man
- Marvel Team-Up
- The Champions
- The Defenders
- Marvel Two-In-One
- The Man-Thing
- Howard the Duck
- The Man Called Nova
- Devil Dinosaur
- Son of Satan
- Warlock
- Inhumans
- Eternals
- Deadly Hands of Kung Fu
- Master of Kung Fu

One thing really interesting about this period is Marvel really reflected the popular trends of the time. Kung Fu movies were beginning to really come to America, so entered roles like Iron Fist and Shang-Chi. Horror saw a major resurgence, so character like Morbius, Ghost Rider, Moonknight and Blade (monster hunters), and Son of Satan were created alongside their horror titles like Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night, and The Monster of Frankenstein. The post Vietnam era really created a sort of cynicism and thus you saw a rise in gore and violence, edge material, thus characters like Punisher and Wolverine were created and villains became all-out killing people. Was the rise of the anti-hero. Even blaxploitation was huge, to which Luke Cage the Power Man arrived and Falcon flew, playing off heavy urban street themes.

Outside of the bigger titles like Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avengers (and their solo titles), Dr. Strange, Daredevil, and Silver Surfer...there's a LOT of characters I'm very familiar with, but just haven't actually read. I have dabbled in some Moon Knight, Punisher, Iron Fist, Black Panther, Namor, and a few others...but there's so many more I want to actually read instead of just study the Wiki page.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Yeah, and it's interesting that Marvel Studios is shifting gears to relatively obscure character films like Shang-Chi and the Eternals; years ago, I would have thought that to be a dumb move, then the execution and popularity of GotG and Ant-Man showed they can make hits of just about anything!

Reaction score
Oh totally. I mean, honestly, before the Guardians movie, I'd barely even HEARD of them...and I'm a dude that's read freaking Moon Knight! That says something. Now they're household names. Who'd have guessed? I mean, what's wild? When you really think about it, until the film, even Iron Man wasn't that big. People often forget that. Mostly only comic fans were all that familiar until RDJ tackled him on screen. I always saw potential in him on screen, but I remember once saying I'd be interested in seeing it...I got CHEWED OUT because that was around comic Civil War when Tony was not especially beloved. But now we've gotten Antman, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Dr. Strange films. Those used to be decently obscure to the uninitiated, more niche readers. Now super well-known. I mean really, before the MCU, I'd go as far as to say basically only Spider-Man, the X-Men, and Hulk were Marvel's household name characters for a long time outside of comic readers. The MCU really gave so much exposure to the whole wonderful roster of characters the Marvel comics have. It's been an incredible time to be a fan.

I mean, if anyone can turn essentially unknowns into mega-hits, it's Feige.

The history of the popularity and exposure of Marvel characters is so interesting. Back in the 60's, the Fantastic Four was one of, for a long time was, their top selling book. Cut to today, far from. They're one of the properties people seem least interested in now. X-Men originally in essence flopped, now they're a juggernauts in superhero comics. Spider-Man seems to be one of the only to retain popularity and exposure since his creation. I think largely, the reason for character waxing and waning in popularity is largely due to the media. Once you hit the 80's and 90's, kids weren't reading comics nearly as much. TV and Video Games were the big thing...so Marvel expanded. You know, X-Men was big in the field, but once it hit the small screen with the animated series...oh boy did that change things. I remember watching it when it first aired, I was maybe 9, and it blew my mind. Of course Hulk had the old live-action show, but once he hit the big screen with Ang Lee's adaptation...ugh. People were so turned off. But what you saw was, the characters weren't being viewed first via comics, they were viewed first through...toys, cartoons, video games, etc. So suddenly, you saw old comic favorites take the wayside to the ones that were successful in things beyond comics. They tried 90's toons for Iron Man, Avengers, Silver Surfer, and Fantastic Four, but they were largely unsuccessful. So things just started to change...casual kids didn't care as much about these roles as they did in the 60's and 70's. But now, the MCU really is just revealing to the masses, hey, Marvel is WAY more than just Spider-Man, X-Men, and Hulk.

Now I got lucky in that my dad raised me on Silver and Bronze Age Marvel comics, so I was familiar with the larger universe at an early age. I remember getting teased for liking that "cheesy" Captain America and Fantastic Four. "Wait...you like...the blind guy?" I often got when saying Daredevil was one of my favorites. I just adore what the MCU has done to give so many incredible characters the spotlight again.

But in all my years of studying DC and Marvel comics to extremes, one thing I've learned that blows my mind? To this very day, I STILL come across things I NEVER knew or hear of. There's just TOO much to learn it all, it's impossible. But I love that about it, it's always fresh for me.

More recently, they did an Avengers cartoon that's phenomenal. It's heavily based on 60's Kirby and Lee Marvel stories. It's called Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes and while I love the X-Men and Spider-Man Animated Series, they're loosely based on comics and in retrospect, the animation doesn't really hold up. This Avengers show, I found, to be almost the Batman The Animated Series answer to Marvel toons, it's really quality. Good stuff!

I think it's the last few episodes where Galactus attacks and like so many of the roster of Avengers (in classic or close to classic costumes) are there and actually team up with the Fantastic Four (The Thing sounds exactly like Jack Kirby), Spider-Man, Luke Cage and Iron Fist, and some of the X-Men. It's awesome!

Last edited:
Reaction score
That Avengers cartoon is excellent (Earth's Mightiest Heroes)
= Theme Song is very cool.

Reaction score
As far as New Mutants is concerned.... Unless the movie is just that bad how could it hurt to introduce some of these 'New Mutants' into the MCU? The movie doesn't look like it needs any connections to anything really. They can be expanded if they are particularly popular or just dropped if they are not.

You have young stars that have been in some very popular recent media. Charlie Heaton (Stranger Things), Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones), Henry Zaga (13 Reasons Why and Teen Wolf), and Anya Taylor-Joy playing a rather popular geek character, Magik.

I don't really want to see another version of Magneto vs Xavier. Does anyone? I don't think they are necessary to bring in Mutants unless you are going full on X-Men... which I probably wouldn't. (at least not right away) I don't really want to see Cyclops or Jean Grey either. Wolverine, yes. Storm in Black Panther? YES. Angel? Nah. I'll take Beast, Nightcrawler, Iceman, and Psylock. Leave Jubilee and Mystique. Give me a good Gambit and maybe Rogue... we don't need a school.

GNT

Reaction score
Yeah, and it's interesting that Marvel Studios is shifting gears to relatively obscure character films like Shang-Chi and the Eternals; years ago, I would have thought that to be a dumb move, then the execution and popularity of GotG and Ant-Man showed they can make hits of just about anything!
They've built up a fan base after all these years, for the most part all the films have been really good, I don't think we've had any really bomb at the box office yet. The trouble is since the MCU is all interconnected, if you miss one film you might miss something that crosses over or a plot point that carries through several films.

As for this movie, not that familiar with this character but it looks interesting. I like seeing Keaton in the trailer which is a nice nod. This movie could be alright.

Reaction score
They've built up a fan base after all these years, for the most part all the films have been really good, I don't think we've had any really bomb at the box office yet. The trouble is since the MCU is all interconnected, if you miss one film you might miss something that crosses over or a plot point that carries through several films.
For uber comic nerds like me, if I miss one, I can usually still figure out what's going on just via the comics I've read. But that has become a huge concern of mine moving forward for just other folks...specifically the Disney Plus shows. As excited as I am, I really think it'll be the wrong way to go if the shows become required viewing to really understand the context of the future movies. That will confuse a lot of people. But over-all, I'd agree, I don't think they've made a technical bad movie yet. There are def. lesser installments in the MCU, but even the bottom of the barrel like Thor: Dark World, Iron Man 2 and 3, or The Incredible Hulk (IMO) are still adequately entertaining and competently made. They're just not what they could have been is all. Some missteps. But one thing I've noticed is Marvel tends to actually listen to criticism and learn from it. Examples: Hulk being deemed a rather average film compared to others, well no more solo films. He's a dedicated supporting player now, which really suits him better. There's the infamous Mandarin flub, they're course correcting that now to bring in the real Mandarin. It's nice to see a big budget modern franchise that actually does care and take into consideration its fanbase as opposed to just attacking it and calling it toxic.

When you really look at it, the only things outright Marvel (not Fox or Sony Marvel...Dark Phoenix anyone...oh boy) has really been a part of in recent years that outright flopped were Inhumans and, to a lesser extent as still successful but def. one of the lower ranked, Netflix Iron Fist. But for the most part, they even killed it on television. I still argue Daredevil is one of the best things they've ever done and it's a travesty the show was cancelled in its prime. Season 3 was the best yet! I pray he gets integrated back into continuity, though I know the Netflix continuity was a bit hazy...but it is in the MCU, just loosely. I've read solid rumors that Feige specifically wants Daredevil and Punisher back on screen somehow, be in officially in the MCU movies or a reboot of the shows. Just somehow, even with ideally the same actors. I still say the perfect re-introduction of Matt Murdock would be as Peter Parker's lawyer in the next Spider-Man film, poor Pete is sure going to need one after what Mysterio did to him.

I don't really want to see another version of Magneto vs Xavier. Does anyone? I don't think they are necessary to bring in Mutants unless you are going full on X-Men... which I probably wouldn't. (at least not right away) I don't really want to see Cyclops or Jean Grey either. Wolverine, yes. Storm in Black Panther? YES. Angel? Nah. I'll take Beast, Nightcrawler, Iceman, and Psylock. Leave Jubilee and Mystique. Give me a good Gambit and maybe Rogue... we don't need a school.
I mean, I'd want Magneto, Xavier, and the X-Men eventually...but I do agree, not right out of the gate. How I'd do it? I'd introduce some big named mutants in other things before Xavier recruits them. Characters who have a pretty thoroughly interconnected past to the larger MCU beyond just X-Men or roles that tended to fly solo. Examples:

- Logan/James could be introduced far earlier than X-Men. Someone as old as Wolverine? Easily. I mean, you can go into the Weapon X project or heck, even Alpha Flight, in others espionage-like films like a Captain America/Falcon movie or even a Black Widow/Hawkeye film. Could tie the program to Howard Stark, Pym, Peggy, S.H.I.E.L.D. He could easily show up before an X-Men flick.

- What if they did a Hawkeye origin film or at least flashback? Just what if? Full on circus orphan backstory, Swordsman, and in that circus setting...you could absolutely have Nightcrawler cameo.

- Why not make Bobby Drake a peer student at Peter Parker's High School? He was the youngest of the originals. You don't even have to show him using his powers yet, maybe just behaving a lot like Peter...strangely disappearing at random times...and there's reports of some Ice being. Plus it would be a sort of fun wink to Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.

- Storm is perhaps the easiest of them all. She was worshiped as a Goddess in Africa before Charles took her in. Why not have her and Black Pather have a relationship before she's an X-Men member...and perhaps her going to the X-Men is what causes the rift between them?

- With all the Russians in the MCU, you could totally fit Colossus in there somewhere. Perhaps, here's a wild idea, since he's a man of metal...perhaps he was just though as Iron Man, Anton Vanko, or some Hammer tech. before coming out that no...he's not just a suit.

Then finally when you do bring in the actual X-Men and Xavier, outside of Bobby, it's the actual original comic team. They were a team that operated in secret. Maybe lay hints to their existence throughout movies, but nothing outright. Only big figureheads knew of them, people like S.H.I.E.L.D. Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Angel...and now they just recruited Iceman, Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus. Would be waaaaaay more comic accurate. That's all the original comic team and most the second comic team. They need help bringing down a mutant extremist group, a brotherhood, lead by a former and extremely formidable pupil of the X-Men. Brotherhood team:

- Magneto, former teacher, adviser, and co-founder to the X-Men was ousted. He'd developed a way to block Charles from reading his mind in secret, hiding his true motives...of helping created the X-Men in hope of mutant dominance, not co-existence.

- Rogue I would absolutely put on the first team. Absolutely! Make her far more comic accurate than what Bryan Singer gave us. Older, sexy, seductive. And absolutely retain her gaining far more than absorption powers from Carol Danvers...and then defects to the X-Men in one of the sequels for a real fantastic redemption arch.

- Here's an idea. What about Gambit? Would be an alteration, but he's always had a shady past and dealings with villains in it before he went straight. It's not that much an alteration. Plus, if he too were corrupted by Magneto, it would give him and Rogue something to bond over and a natural progression into falling in love. It also would reflect when Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, two original brotherhood members in comics, defected from Magneto and became heroes.

- Toad is a hard role to pull off, but a little wormy underling I do think works. Maybe even adapt Toad into one of the Morlocks, the sort of "freak" mutants who live in the sewers. Perhaps he's the one who recruited Gambit, and like in comics, Gambit leads a massacre on any of them that do not wish to follow Magneto. Perhaps Callisto, the Morlock leader, is aware of Toad's betrayal and wants to lead a revolt against Magneto...and Magneto orders the extermination? Establishing that he will not kill fellow mutants...even if they disagree...so long as they stay out of his way. Establishing he will kill the X-Men if he has to.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I like a lot of your thoughts Mysterio. I don't know that I'd get too deep into the old X-Men lore though. I don't want them to repeat the Fox X-Men. I liked the original X-Men movie, X2, First Class, DOFP, and Logan. The rest had bits and pieces and introduced some interesting characters like Silver Samurai, Gambit, and Blob... but I really think they REALLY need to examine what they have. Throwing a dozen characters out there and being unable to do any of them justice will just oversaturate the MCU... like every other person is a superhero now?

I think they need to create some credible villains and then we can discuss X-men. We need a Sinister Six... I kinda hope Morbius gets us one step closer to that. Vulture, Scorpion, Mysterio (or maybe more accurately a projection of Mysterio?), Morbius, Doctor Octopus, and Venom!! That team would break down internally, but what fun seeing Spider-Man go up against that.

Namor, Dr. Doom, Green Goblin, Mandarin, Mr. Sinister, Leader, Sentinels...
Not to mention the galactic baddies like Galactus, Kang, and Annihilus... let's get some of these cranked up.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
About the X-Men: it wasn't until modern times that they became publicly-known, and frankly, I preferred the way it was in the Claremont days anyway. Since we've not seen them in the MCU yet, it's a golden opportunity to show they've been here all along, but in the background, hidden. Mutants, in general though, will have to be a rare occurrence (because no one in the MCU has been shown to be one yet) that is only now starting to expand (like the finger-snap of the Infinity Gauntlet unintentionally sparked mutations in those carrying the x-gene). So if I had my way and had to introduce the Fox acquisition into the MCU, I'd show a small, hidden-from-society-at-the-school-for-gifted-youngsters X-team as the only mutants on the planet (perhaps there were some others hiding their abilities from the public) until the Thanos event. After all, when the X-Men were first introduced, there were only a handful of them anyway.

Reaction score
(like the finger-snap of the Infinity Gauntlet unintentionally sparked mutations in those carrying the x-gene).

^^ this. they've already set up the mechanism for Mutants to appear -- in Endgame, when they were talking about the 'snap', they said the Earth was the epicenter of a giant surge of cosmic energy -- the same type of energy that created Wanda and Quicksilver -- the entire earth was bathed in this cosmic energy. (IIRC they even showed an animated graphic of it happening, when the team was licking their wounds and counting their losses at the Avengers headquarters, before Ant-Man showed up). it was really just a single line of dialog... but it provides the perfect set-up, for an 'epidemic' of mutants to appear, all across the entire globe. the foundation has already been laid.

Reaction score
I like a lot of your thoughts Mysterio. I don't know that I'd get too deep into the old X-Men lore though. I don't want them to repeat the Fox X-Men. I liked the original X-Men movie, X2, First Class, DOFP, and Logan. The rest had bits and pieces and introduced some interesting characters like Silver Samurai, Gambit, and Blob... but I really think they REALLY need to examine what they have. Throwing a dozen characters out there and being unable to do any of them justice will just oversaturate the MCU... like every other person is a superhero now?

I think they need to create some credible villains and then we can discuss X-men. We need a Sinister Six... I kinda hope Morbius gets us one step closer to that. lture, Scorpion, Mysterio (or maybe more accurately a projection of Mysterio?), Morbius, Doctor Octopus, and Venom!! That team would break down internally, but what fun seeing Spider-Man go up against that.

Namor, Dr. Doom, Green Goblin, Mandarin, Mr. Sinister, Leader, Sentinels...
Not to mention the galactic baddies like Galactus, Kang, and Annihilus... let's get some of these cranked up.
I mean that's the trouble of X-Men, the cast of characters is so enormous it's a true undertaking of what is too much, what is too little, and which ones do you pick first? Singer sort of went a mesh of two of the most popular and two originals: Wolverine and Storm, Cyclops and Jean. I don't really include Rogue on that list because she barely resembles the character, nor do I Iceman because he's really a cameo in the first one. That's where things get complex, there are certain roles that, if you don't include them...people will throw a fit, but they might not necessarily be right for the origins of the X-Men team. Wolverine comes to mind. If you do things chronologically to the comics, Logan wouldn't appear for a while. It just feels like, due to his stardom, you're just pigeon held into having to include him.

But if you do it as if the X-Men have already existed, which Bryan sort of did anyway with that first one, pre Wolverine...but you intro Wolverine (and some others) elsewhere first, it can gel better IMO and be more comic accurate at the same time.

My ideal Sinister Six would be: 1. Vulture, who's really a guarantee I think. 2. Mysterio, because I'm still convinced he's not dead. 3. Scorpion, as he's essentially being groomed to be created and likely will escape with Adrian. 4. Kraven, as I really think he just makes logical sense for his intro to be as the next main solo Spider-Man (3) villain. 5. and 6. are a sort of grab bag for me. Personally, I'd find it almost criminal to not have Otto on there, it's just where do you set him up? But I think Ock has to take up one of those spots. Then lastly, I think I'd possibly go with either Chameleon or Rhino. I could be convinced on Shocker, he might actually make the most sense as he's not in jail, established in the universe, former partner with Vulture, but I'd really want him in a full costume. He's just not the most...exciting. I also could, potentially, be convinced on Lizard...just again, like Otto, he's one that needs a lot of set up first. You can't rush him like you can just a generic bank-robber criminal like Rhino.

I will say I wouldn't want: Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Venom, or Carnage. None of them really seem to play all that well in groups. They just don't make sense to me. The only one I could roll with, if written proper, would be Norman...and I wouldn't include him as part of the six so much as the man who funds them. That seems more character appropriate to me. Another role for, say, funding that would make me have to change my pants? It'll never happen, but WHAT IF Vincent D'onofrio's Kingpin funded them? I'd DIE! I def. don't want Sandman, besides, we kind of got a (albeit very brief) pseudo-"Sandman" as a Mysterio illusion much like "Hydroman" and "Moltenman." I absolutely wouldn't want Electro. Morbius I just see too anti-hero to join the Six. If anything I think he and (potentially Venom...though likely not at first) would ally against the Six. Though really, I kind of want just Spidey vs. the Six. Then there's a slew of lesser villains, people like Jackal, Beetle, Tombstone, Tarantula, I just don't see happening whatsoever. Could you imagine if they put like...the Kangaroo and The Spot on the team? :LOL:

Oh you named like every major villain (except Magneto...though again I agree, wait on him) I'm DYING to see. Doom is the most media abused villain in comic history, which is so baffling as he's easily one of...if not the...greatest Marvel villain of all-time. But when you have Marvel and Feige doing him, I think the world will finally get to see how incredible a foe he truly is. He'll at last be done justice on screen.

Kang is one I've been pitching for for some time, especially once time-travel was introduced into the films. He just makes sense.

It's still kind of shocking that after so many Fox X-Men films, Sinister has still not been done. I know he actually was planned as, I believe, the next big bad had the films continued for them.

Green Goblin is just an absolute must. I hate to say this, it always gets me chastised, but I HATED Sam Raimi's Goblin. I loved Willam's performance, he was born for the character, but I always found Sam to be just way too camp. It's kind of his shtick. It just never meshed with me. But the real sin, for me, was the power ranger costume. I want to see a menacing GG, I always imagined Norman wearing a sort of prosthetic mask that makes him appear akin to one of those terrifying Moria Orcs in Fellowship of the Ring. Raimi's was too techie and not enough frightening for my taste.

Galactus is another that just, to me, is really only a matter of time. Which in turn also means Surfer. Would you do any of the other heralds? Firelord? Terrax?

I still think the MCU's biggest sin was Mandarin. I was beyond stoked for him...and then...well...you know. Some people like the twist, but as a life-long fan...I was livid. What made it extra painful was the fact that before the reveal, Kingsley's Mandarin videos were SO menacing. So freaking well done. Then...*slide whistle*...I'm glad they're mending it, but it still feels somewhat saddening as he'll never face Tony Stark.

I have this idea that to explain where the FF have been, the best solution would be to directly tie it to the Negative Zone (they were trapped in there since the 60's) and intro (for once not Doom) Annihilus as the first movies villain. Doom is far too much a puppet master to just blow your load early, he deserve build-up and gravitas coming out of the shadows. I still think they should build Doom to basically be the non-cosmic Earth bound equal to Thanos. He's less bombastic than Thanos and far more calculating and personal. I'd lay hints to him pulling the strings for a while, but don't reveal him for a few movies. Heck I'd have Dooms involvements cross into, even if subtle, all of the films for a while. Like as of now, he's just surveying and studying the chess board. Watching...waiting...

I think I read somewhere that a solo Namor film is off the table, they're worried they'd be accused of making a wannabe Aquaman. But I've wanted to see Submariner for a while. Decades! For me, he's among my top favorite underrated Marvel characters. I always tend to like that pseudo-jacka$$ type character that still, secretly, means well. I keep hearing murmurs of him in Black Panther 2, but not clue if there's any truth to it. If so, that may be the first appearance in the MCU of a character branded under the FF banner. That is, unless one appears even sooner.

Leader I'm not really sure where to go with. I mean, if I recall right, he's established as existing in the universe. Didn't Sterns begin to transform in Incredible Hulk before the scene quickly cuts? So he's out there, I want to say they addressed it in an MCU continuity comic and he's under custody of S.H.I.E.L.D. Still, that doesn't mean he can't break out or they can just write that comic out of continuity. I'm just not sure where he'd fit in.

There's this really bizarre part of me that wants to see M.O.D.O.K. When I heard A.I.M. was in Iron Man 3, I was at least hoping that at some point there would be a wink to him and he'd just be adapted into some sort of Bond villain style superweapon, "Activate M.O.D.O.K.!" but alas, was not to be. I've also wanted Enchantress for some time, kind of shocking she hasn't appeared yet. I think, now, they may worry she'll be too akin to Hela? I am really pleased we're getting a costumed Zemo coming...even if not on film. A favorite of mine.

About the X-Men: it wasn't until modern times that they became publicly-known, and frankly, I preferred the way it was in the Claremont days anyway.
I mean I like the 60's Lee stuff, but it's even more dated than most the Silver Age books. Once it hit like #20, you could tell, since sales were slipping...Stan was really phoning in X-Men stories. I'm talking really badly. Like the first 20 issues basically got the basics out: The 5 X-Men, school, Xavier, Magneto, Brotherhood, Juggernaut, Sentinels, the bigotry angle (which even that wasn't outright there till about issue #14)...subsequent issues had a few important intros, people like Havok and Polaris, Banshee, and a few others...it set-up the basics.

But when Claremont came in, oh man did things get good. His run on X-Men is legendary and I agree, the best X-Men ever saw. I think it might actually be the longest run for a single writer on a single comic title, I know it was at least. May have been beaten now. But really, what we really think of X-Men now is less Lee and more Chris. Sort of like Daredevil, where really the more iconic is the Frank Miller version.

I really, really am hoping that when they do finally start introducing X-Men characters, the Guardians meet the Starjammers. Would be such a missed opportunity if they don't cross. At this rate, it's really the only way to DO the Starjammers and have them make sense...and I hope they take it.

Man...it's posts like this that make me realize I've spent way too much time in my life reading Marvel comics. :LOL:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think that the success of GOTG is what led to them to believe they could do other obscure characters. And considering they've been on a shall we say "venture" to broaden their fanbase, they're looking into movies that wouldn't have been done 10-15 years ago.

I did see a mention the Disney was going to drop the Fox name. Which i don't fully agree with.

So I'm sure they're laying the ground work to full on reboot that Franchise. Absorbing those characters into the MCU could be problematic though, or maybe they'll just use a few.

I did recently watch Crisis even on CW, and gotta say it was one of the best crossovers they've ever done. The cameos and easter eggs were totally off the hook yo! And it seems they fixed he whole alternate Earth issue. So it only seems logical that MCU is headed in the same direction.

Reaction score
I don't think we've seen the last of Tony Stark. They've given us a way to bring anyone back through the Multiverse and who's to say Tony Stark doesn't look a little different in some alternate universe (Cap as well). I don't know how they would replicate RDJ's Iron Man because he was perfect, but we have seen Michael Keaton play a great Batman and then got another great Batman in Christian Bale.... so who knows?