Solo deleted scene Imperial Trial

Reaction score
Very cool. I cant watch it now cuz im at work, but i will later.

I also really liked the whole kessel run scene... and danny glover as lando... also thought it was neat that the falcons computer is so sketchy bcs its a weird hodgepodge of starship software and downloaded droid personality.

I know im in a minority, but i really enjoyed solo.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reaction score

I also really liked the whole kessel run scene... and danny glover as lando... also thought it was neat that the falcons computer is so sketchy bcs its a weird hodgepodge of starship software and downloaded droid personality.

I don't think you are in the minority I mean almost everyone who did see Solo seemed to enjoy it the only problem is people didn't go to see it

Reaction score
I don't think you're in the minority. It seems as if most people left the theater pretty happy after seeing Solo. I did.

Problem is that this ****** movie called The Last Jedi came out a few months before Solo and messed everything up and no one went to see Solo.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Personally, I would have preferred if Solo actually centered around "Han Solo" a bit more. But they were too preoccupied with creating an oceans 11 type movie or something. It should have been a personal story/journey about him saving someone who later becomes a friend/companion. And how he got there etc. I expected some time jumps due to the limited time in a movie, but it just flew by too fast for such an Iconic/Important character. And thus not truly creating any time to connect to anyone, or care about them in any way. The only reason we/I cared about what happens to Chewie, is because of the OT. So that relationship is already built in.

The heist aspect does have a place and should have happened later on IMO, as it felt thrown together and rushed. Because at the end you're left wanting more, but now it's not going to happen. While I was never fully on board for this, they were going to do it regardless. So I felt it deserved better, and should likely have been a trilogy on its own. And could have been if done right.

Reaction score
I saw Solo on week#1 but it didn't leave much of an impression.

I will watch (and re-watch) it on blu-ray when it comes out...

...but then again, I said the same of Last Jedi. (it hasn't happened yet). :(

Reaction score
I don't think you're in the minority. It seems as if most people left the theater pretty happy after seeing Solo. I did.

Problem is that this ****** movie called The Last Jedi came out a few months before Solo and messed everything up and no one went to see Solo.

Well, that, and a really awesome movie called "Avengers: Infinity War" came out just a few weeks earlier, and people were busy flocking to see that more than once rather than see Solo as well.

Reaction score
Solo had weak marketing, a bad release date, and tepid reviews. Plus I don't think very many people were jazzed about seeing a movie about a young Han Solo without Harrison Ford, or a Star Wars movie that didn't continue the stories of Rey, Finn, and Poe.

All that probably contributed more to the Box Office performance of Solo, than the loud minority of angry fanboys that hated The Last Jedi.

Reaction score
Commodore, huh? Now we've got a possible defunct rank just like in the Star Trek universe. Interesting reference on (Z-95) Headhunters, something I've read way back in the 70's. And a bit too bad he didn't suffer a chin injury instead of an eye, that would have been keen....although there's a certain globetrotting archeologist who suffered a rather permanent eye injury later in his life. :sneaky:

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
Han Solo move was a decent entry into the SW franchise IMO, there's nothing I really hate about it. Maybe they should've just gone for a more interesting movie title like "Star Wars ...." intsead of "Han Solo".

I look forward to seeing all the deleted scenes.

Reaction score
The whole "loud minority of angry fanboys" thing is as tired and annoying as the people complaining about TLJ...we are all fanboys and it's not a minority. A large portion of the fanbase didn't care for the movie. The people that loved TLJ are as vocal as the complainers. Everyone needs to get over it.

Just for clarity I was partly joking about TLJ being the reason Solo bombed. Solo had a lot going against it, and while the lingering TLJ discontent didn't help, it certainly was not THE reason. Not by a longshot.

Personally I loved Solo and cannot wait for the Blu-Ray release. I'm usually not all that interested in non-canon half finished deleted scenes though. If it was that important it would have been in the actual movie.
Solo had weak marketing, a bad release date, and tepid reviews. Plus I don't think very many people were jazzed about seeing a movie about a young Han Solo without Harrison Ford, or a Star Wars movie that didn't continue the stories of Rey, Finn, and Poe.

All that probably contributed more to the Box Office performance of Solo, than the loud minority of angry fanboys that hated The Last Jedi.

Reaction score
Where is everyone looking at for the best extra bonus features Blue Ray? Amazon, Target, Walmart Best Buy etc?

Reaction score

Reaction score
I love this scene for all the reasons listed in this thread - and also because we get to see a little more of the TIE-Brute / Heavy variant - plus Han wearing either:

- an Imperial cadet training flight suit
- a pre-ANH, earlier Empire TIE-Pilot outfit
- a dedicated TIE-Heavy pilot flight suit

:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Personally, I would have preferred if Solo actually centered around "Han Solo" a bit more.
Before Solo, I typically envisioned a Solo origins story as a 'coming of age' anti-hero story loosely based on the 19th seafaring novels, though admittedly I can't say if Treasure Island for example is a good but loose example. The popularity of those novels were either the 'naval officer off to the sea' or 'the search for buried treasure' scenarios. Anyway, I felt going that direction would be regarded as a sort of pastiche to the myth and legend approach Lucas for his trilogy.

Reaction score
I'm glad that scene was cut.

The senior Imperials just put up with Han's attitude to them in a military disciplinary hearing? Makes them look like a joke instead of a power to be reckoned with.

I suspect that this kind of thing came from the original director team, and if so then getting rid of them was a good call.

Reaction score
Solo had weak marketing,
Don't buy this for a second and it's a rather weak excuse. Every Star Wars fan would have been aware of it and anyone with an interest in cinema would have known too. People just weren't that pushed to go and see it and it was out for months. There was plenty of time to see this film in the cinema if anyone was so inclined.

a bad release date,
Every Star Wars film, except for Dizwars, has been released in May. Solo's failure had nothing to do with its release date.

and tepid reviews.
It got tepid reviews because it's a tepid film. It's bland, kind of boring and overwhelmingly meh, with a fake Han Solo.

Plus I don't think very many people were jazzed about seeing a movie about a young Han Solo without Harrison Ford,
This is the sole reason why 'Solo' failed. Nobody cared for it.

Reaction score
Han Solo move was a decent entry into the SW franchise IMO, there's nothing I really hate about it. Maybe they should've just gone for a more interesting movie title like "Star Wars ...." intsead of "Han Solo".
The whole film should have been about somebody else.

Reaction score
Don't buy this for a second and it's a rather weak excuse. Every Star Wars fan would have been aware of it and anyone with an interest in cinema would have known too. People just weren't that pushed to go and see it and it was out for months. There was plenty of time to see this film in the cinema if anyone was so inclined.

Every Star Wars film, except for Dizwars, has been released in May. Solo's failure had nothing to do with its release date.

It got tepid reviews because it's a tepid film. It's bland, kind of boring and overwhelmingly meh, with a fake Han Solo.

This is the sole reason why 'Solo' failed. Nobody cared for it.
I'm pretty sure we had tons of people on this very forum complaining about how there wasn't a trailer for this movie until 3 months before it came out, plus the TV spots weren't particularly engaging. Past Star Wars films from this decade have had a much longer, stronger marketing push.

This film did have a bad release date. Every other film released in May didn't have to compete with a massive franchise sequel coming out every other week.

While I liked Solo, I've gotta agree that it is a pretty bland movie, and deserved the reviews it got.

Reaction score
Solo didn't get bad reviews. No one went to see it but the for most part it didn't get skewered from critics and it seems as if lots of fans liked it.

People who didn't like it decided they weren't going to like it back when it was announced.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we had tons of people on this very forum complaining about how there wasn't a trailer for this movie until 3 months before it came out, plus the TV spots weren't particularly engaging. Past Star Wars films from this decade have had a much longer, stronger marketing push.
3 months? That's LOADS of time. The TV spots weren't engaging, because the film isn't engaging. Plus 'Solo' had a pretty long run in the cinema. People didn't go, because they just weren't bothered.

This film did have a bad release date. Every other film released in May didn't have to compete with a massive franchise sequel coming out every other week.
We're just going to have to disagree here. The release had absolutely nothing to do with it. It's not like you get one day to go to see a film. The thing was in the cinema for two months or more. If anyone really wanted to go, they would have gone.

While I liked Solo, I've gotta agree that it is a pretty bland movie, and deserved the reviews it got.
And that's its problem. It just wasn't exciting. It was plagued by bad production and it should never have been made at all really. It was a terrible decision and one that should have been vetoed right at the start. It wasn't awful. But it wasn't good either. It's the epitome of a 5/10 movie score. In years to come, it'll just end up looking like the odd one out. It's like a Netflix Star Wars film. One that people would be happy to wait for and watch on the small screen.

Reaction score
I'm probably one of those few that still yearned for him to get the onscreen treatment, long before the spin-off movies were a handwritten note on some cocktail napkin in a Lucasfilm corporate luncheon. Maybe being a child of the Brian Daley novels back in the day had something to do with it, which demonstrated the kind of interest in anti-hero themed storytelling way back when. The movie succinctly wasn't the 'coming of age' story I was hoping for and while it was interesting to explore the underworld side of the Star Wars universe, I felt the tone wasn't all that there....maybe it just had the same campiness from just watching a movie of similar tonality just months prior. :|

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm probably one of those few that still yearned for him to get the onscreen treatment, long before the spin-off movies were a handwritten note on some cocktail napkin in a Lucasfilm corporate luncheon. Maybe being a child of the Brian Daley novels back in the day had something to do with it, which demonstrated the kind of interest in anti-hero themed storytelling way back when. The movie succinctly wasn't the 'coming of age' story I was hoping for and while it was interesting to explore the underworld side of the Star Wars universe, I felt the tone wasn't all that there....maybe it just had the same campiness from just watching a movie of similar tonality just months prior. :|
Simply put, the time for a film about Solo has passed and it passed before 'Return of the Jedi' was even made. Getting another actor to try and pull off a Harrison Ford impression was always going to look bad and if they weren't bothered trying to do that, it would just be jarring because an actor switcheroo never works, especially when so much of that actor goes into a cinematic icon. The best thing to do, is just leave it alone. But, Disney couldn't do that, because it's the money they're primarily interested in and not really expanding on what George sold them. It's a cash cow, to be milked like so much green ***** juice from an Ach-To sea beast.

Besides the dull story (and I completely agree with the tonal absence), there was never a single moment that I felt that I wasn't watching an imposter trying to convince me he was Han Solo. It's akin to a bad cover band that people give positive lip service to, because they're familiar with the songs. But then they realise how much they like the real thing when they listen to the record afterwards. That's basically 'Solo' in a nutshell. It something people want to like, because it vaguely reminds them of something they do like. Plus, it got a pass from a lot of people cos it wasn't 'The Last Jedi'. But, that's a poor gauge for me. A truly good film should stand on its on two feet.

Personally, I'm delighted that 'Solo' bombed as badly as it did and I wanted it to fail the second I heard about it. The reason for this is, if 'Solo' had made money, that would simply have given the green light to more milking of the OT characters (with totally different actors) until those characters were eventually rendered meaningless and I certainly don't want to see Star Wars go down that route. Disney love the idea of hanging more films on already familiar characters, because it means they don't have to write new ones. A task that they have failed at monumentally so far (with the exception of 'Rogue One'). But, with the catastrophic failure of the 'Solo', it might convince Disney that they don't have a captive audience waiting to lick their boots at every juncture and that a quality story, with well written characters, isn't just optional. It's at the heart of what matters in great cinema.

Into the bargain, I'd like to see IX do less than stellar business for them too, just in case they haven't quite got the message yet and perhaps when this trilogy is put out of its misery, they can set about trying to understand what made Star Wars great in the first place. They might eventually get that it isn't cameos, it isn't mentioning an obscure EU reference, and it isn't sock-puppeting familiar equipment, places or characters from the OT.

Reaction score
Simply put, the time for a film about Solo has passed and it passed before 'Return of the Jedi' was even made. Getting another actor to try and pull off a Harrison Ford impression was always going to look bad and if they weren't bothered trying to do that, it would just be jarring because an actor switcheroo never works, especially when so much of that actor goes into a cinematic icon. The best thing to do, is just leave it alone. But, Disney couldn't do that, because it's the money they're primarily interested in and not really expanding on what George sold them. It's a cash cow, to be milked like so much green ***** juice from an Ach-To sea beast.

Besides the dull story (and I completely agree with the tonal absence), there was never a single moment that I felt that I wasn't watching an imposter trying to convince me he was Han Solo. It's akin to a bad cover band that people give positive lip service to, because they're familiar with the songs. But then they realise how much they like the real thing when they listen to the record afterwards. That's basically 'Solo' in a nutshell. It something people want to like, because it vaguely reminds them of something they do like. Plus, it got a pass from a lot of people cos it wasn't 'The Last Jedi'. But, that's a poor gauge for me. A truly good film should stand on its on two feet.

Personally, I'm delighted that 'Solo' bombed as badly as it did and I wanted it to fail the second I heard about it. The reason for this is, if 'Solo' had made money, that would simply have given the green light to more milking of the OT characters (with totally different actors) until those characters were eventually rendered meaningless and I certainly don't want to see Star Wars go down that route. Disney love the idea of hanging more films on already familiar characters, because it means they don't have to write new ones. A task that they have failed at monumentally so far (with the exception of 'Rogue One'). But, with the catastrophic failure of the 'Solo', it might convince Disney that they don't have a captive audience waiting to lick their boots at every juncture and that a quality story, with well written characters, isn't just optional. It's at the heart of what matters in great cinema.

Into the bargain, I'd like to see IX do less than stellar business for them too, just in case they haven't quite got the message yet and perhaps when this trilogy is put out of its misery, they can set about trying to understand what made Star Wars great in the first place. They might eventually get that it isn't cameos, it isn't mentioning an obscure EU reference, and it isn't sock-puppeting familiar equipment, places or characters from the OT.
Jeeze.

You're most likely the most miserable Star Wars fan in the world.

Reaction score
All I can add is my own two cents, firstly what I'd deem as being fact. I don't think interest in Star Wars has ever been lower. The merch sells as bad as 99's TPM stuff, clearance and dollar store abundances, but more so...the Solo film itself. The terms "flop" and "Star Wars" used to be oxymoron's, they didn't belong in the same sentence. While flop is not indicative of the quality of the films, some of which have been...questionable at best, there has never once been a financial Star Wars clunker. That was until Solo. This is a first, it's new ground but not good new ground, and I think it's simply a combination of both denial and irresponsibility to claim that the negative fan reaction to the film directly prior to it (The Last Jedi) has nothing to do with interest in the franchise.

The House of Mouse purchased the rights to capitalize, to commercialize, to make money and churn a profit. That's fine, that's capitalism, I get it's a business. But there is no company more shameless in their marketing. It's like that line in Jurassic Park,

"You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew what you had you patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you’re selling it, you want to sell it."

This sort of mentality, this over-saturation of a brand, breeds one thing...particularly when the quality fluctuates due to this constantly moving assembly line instead of actually being well planned out - fatigue.

I have read countless comments, myself included among the sentiment, that upon leaving the theater for The Last Jedi, many just didn't care anymore. I sincerely have lost a lot of interest, not even the prequels left me so indifferent to this universe. I think largely that's worse than the prequels, where gut instinct told me it would be bad, but you always had enough hope and intrigue to say to yourself, "Maybe it'll be good this time!" What you have now is a large percentage of the fanbase itself that just don't care where this goes anymore. I don't care if the story gets more interesting because, well, I don't care about these new characters to begin with. They were perhaps written with great set-up in Force Awakens which subsequently the follow-up could have excused their flaws in part one by explaining things, but it doesn't. In fact, it runs the polar opposite direction and embraces lack of character as being somehow character itself because...dun dun dun...subversion!

So no, I think it's foolish to think that The Last Jedi didn't have some financial effect on Solo's performance. I don't remotely think it's the only reason, but I certainly think it's one. After all, Last Jedi fans always comment about its critical scores on film review sites. So what?! The people that didn't like Last Jedi are the fans themselves, giving it the lowest of any SW film ever made. And those are the people that SEE these films, multiple times, which I think is just all the more evidence that yes, Last Jedi did effect, in ways, Solo under-preforming.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What you have now is a large percentage of the fanbase itself that just don't care where this goes anymore.

I think it's foolish to think that The Last Jedi didn't have some financial effect on Solo's performance. I don't remotely think it's the only reason, but I certainly think it's one. After all, Last Jedi fans always comment about its critical scores on film review sites. So what?! The people that didn't like Last Jedi are the fans themselves, giving it the lowest of any SW film ever made. And those are the people that SEE these films, multiple times, which I think is just all the more evidence that yes, Last Jedi did effect, in ways, Solo under-preforming.
Careful, you're about to feel the wrath of the Vicarious_Spin!!

Reaction score
Careful, you're about to feel the wrath of the Vicarious_Spin!!

HA! Oh I'm used to it. You can't say ANYTHING positive OR negative about TLJ without, eventually, someone coming in and flipping their lid. Another undeniable fact proving TLJ is not vocally disliked by just a loud minority is simply this very reason. The militant state of the franchise and fandom. There wouldn't be such avid aggressive trolling in the fandom over the film had it been only a minority that disliked the film. I remember when TPM came out, even then it wasn't this hostile. But you can state literal facts...and they'll still call you a whiny crying fanboy or worse you're labeled insane things like racist, sexist, or bigoted. Yeah! Just because you didn't like a MOVIE! And at this state, with people at Lucasfilms themselves stoking the fire with juvenile and unprofessional comments toward the critical fans themselves, well it's just pointing out they're on the defensive. They know they screwed up, but they'll never admit it. I refuse to believe everyone that works for Lucasfilms actually loved or even liked Episode 8, that's frankly statistically impossible, they're just paid to say they do or keep their mouth shut.

But I'd like to think, ultimately, most people are reasonable enough to have their opinion on the state of the franchise, be it positive or negative, share that...have a healthy and respectful debate...and move along with their day. It's a sad state of affairs when that's more than the director of The Last Jedi can even freaking do...

Truth be told, I've actually really enjoyed (mostly) the Disney SW films, predominately more than the prequels even. I rather liked The Force Awakens, though I feel it's somewhat tainted now. I LOVED Rogue One to Original Trilogy levels of adoration. I didn't even hate Solo, I thought it was alright. Not bad. It's JUST that The Last Jedi for me was so utterly terrible, personally the worst SW installment ever for me, that I just don't care what's going to happen to these characters.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The problem with TFA, is that it is a tribute film to you know what. So it doesn't have that long lasting rewatchability to it that ANH does, or any of the OT movies for that matter. IMO
I tried watching it the other night on TNT, I found myself turning to something else about the time Rey left Jakku. I can watch certain parts with Han & Chewie, but most of the stuff just feels like it's going through the motions. Yet I've watched ANH and ESB 2-3 times this past week! lol

Reaction score
for myself, I would agree, I've never been less interested in Star Wars. I honestly don't care what they do with it at this point. I felt exactly the same about the old EU. I didn't follow it, I didn't read it, I didn't care. certainly not enough to actually "begrudge" the fans who liked it -- (I never cared enough about the old EU to bitch about the storylines, nor shake my fist at the misdirection of the 'franchise') -- I just honestly didn't care if it existed or not. and that's where we're at now with the movies. even the folks who actually "cared" enough to bitch about the Last Jedi, have lost the will to fight about it. the most Die-Hard Fans have given up. nobody cares anymore.

and yes, for years I've been saying "It's All EU Now", but to be honest, that wasn't entirely accurate until NOW -- that was when most people still cared about the movie franchise -- (but 'most people' NEVER cared about the old "EU") -- so there's always been THAT distinction: the movies have always been 'more important' to people who "Care". but that distinction is now gone. it literally IS "all EU now", because, now, nobody actually cares about SW anymore (no more than they ever cared about the Yuzzan Vong). the most devoted and passionate fanbase in the history of cinema, is no longer "devoted" to the NuFranchise (any more than life-long Trek fans, are suddenly now "devoted" to Chris Pine). the "passion" is gone from the fanbase.

which, I suppose, is to be expected. Chris Pine cannot MAKE lightning strike twice by the sheer force of his will -- TOS was a product of its time -- it could never be "replaced" by an "always-wrong" Kirk and a "child-like-version" of Spock. by the same token, Star Wars was a product of its time -- (and now the kids have their Marvel Movies) -- so it's basically just a nostalgia franchise now, like the "NuGhostbusters" or the "NuTrek" (or the inevitable Godzilla Reboot which can NEVER "replace" the Original).

I mean, just because they made a Trek movie with Chris Pine, this didn't "erase" the original franchise; it didn't "replace" the original actor; it hindsight, looking back on the history-of-Trek, it was a bit of a non-event in the end. (ie: when people think of "captain kirk" they still think of Shatner. this has NOT changed). the "NuTrek" franchise was really just a blip on the cosmic radar. nobody really cares much about it (not in the way they STILL care about TOS). there are no "fanatical" NuTrek fans. (like there have always been "fanatical" TOS fans). it's just not the same.

it's sort of sad when you think about it, but at the end of the day, TOS is over and done -- that cultural phenomenon can't be "Replaced" by Chris Pine -- that's ridiculous. and now finally, I think we're starting to realize, Luke can't be "Replaced" by Rey EITHER.. it was never even possible to begin with. these "Tribute" movies are just a blip on the SW radar. the original SW is over and done.

SW literally is, "all EU now" -- c/w the same level of audience participation now -- (Robot Maul = Yuzzan Vong) same shit, different bucket -- who can possibly "care" about this stuff? it's all just another Chris Pine Trek Movie; it's all just another EU comic book; it's all just another "Ghostbusters Reboot".

TLJ ended the passionate fanaticism of the last 40 years, like waking up from a dream.. *poof!* .. suddenly, nobody "cares" about SW anymore. suddenly, it's just another "Tribute Movie" franchise, exactly like NuGhostbusters. and YES! this disillusionment effected the BO numbers for "Solo" (!) -- no doubt about it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
short version:

TLJ did NOT cause people to "boycott" Solo. (people only "boycott" things they care about). it's worse.

TLJ caused people to stop caring about SW. (like they stopped caring about Winnie the Pooh)*

* @Disney: Good Luck With That.

Reaction score
The House of Mouse purchased the rights to capitalize, to commercialize, to make money and churn a profit. That's fine, that's capitalism, I get it's a business. But there is no company more shameless in their marketing. It's like that line in Jurassic Park,

"You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew what you had you patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you’re selling it, you want to sell it."

This sort of mentality, this over-saturation of a brand, breeds one thing...particularly when the quality fluctuates due to this constantly moving assembly line instead of actually being well planned out - fatigue.
There's just no care put into the production of these new Diswars films (I'll exclude 'Rogue One', because Edwards did a great job there, despite Kennedy's interference). Say what you want about George Lucas, and I'd have my share of criticisms, but he put a lot of love, FIRST AND FOREMOST, into his films. The original Star Wars was a labour (in the real sense of the word) of love and it shows on screen.

These new Diswars movies are a factory line, designed to saturate a marketplace and maximise profit. There's little care involved, except for the care of money...and it shows on screen.

When your product is a soulless attempt just to profit on someone else's groundwork, that will come through and people will eventually just lose interest in what's being produced.

Reaction score
You know, thanks guys. I really thought I'd be chewed a new one, so the response was surprising for me. It's sort of bitter sweet though. It's nice to know I'm not the only one, apparently far from, who feels this way. But it's sad to know this is the state of the franchise.

I mean, I can only speak for myself, but never has there been a moment when I didn't care about Star Wars. That is...until now. It's a new feeling, reaction, emotion. More power to those who do enjoy it, but personally I don't anymore. I just don't care where these characters go. I'm not invested. And I don't think it's because I am "old," I'm not that old! 33! It's because these characters weren't written with care and depth. Literally seven and eight contradict each other, there clearly was no outlining plan to this. They just...are. They;re good at things because they are. That's literally the explanation. That is not interesting to me, nor investing.

Last edited: