Soft Goods

Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
1,515
Reaction score
0
What I hate is that ever since SG became the norm we have not seen any new Vader's with a good sculpted cape, or any new Jedis with good sculpted robes. Even versions of core characters with tiny screentime are being SAed and slapped in giant SG parachutes. Medical frigate luke for gods sake. All he has to do is lie still and stand up straight - no amount of articulation is going to make this version of Luke particularly interesting to kids so why try to make the figure appeal to people beyond the anal retentive diorama builder?

There should be good sculpted alternatives every once and a while - it shouldn't be SG with each and every single release. I don't know that any of us SG haters are advocating the complete end of Softgoods - we'd just like a bone thrown our way from time to time. With the amount of Vaders that get put out each year surely one of them could have a nice new sculpted neutral-pose cape.
 
Joined
Jul 22, 2005
Messages
2,348
Reaction score
0
Location
Netherlands
While Hasbro seriously lacks in the softgoods' quality department, I favour softgoods over sculpted attire.

The modern Vader figures are examples of how it should not be done, but I for one like Tsu Choi's little robe. The Snowtrooper's kama is great as well. It's just that Hasbro should take a look in the history books, chapter "Kenner" and check out what amazing results Kenner achieved with Yoda, Bib Fortuna, Squid Head, Han Solo in Trenchcoat, Lando in General's outfit.

Not all figures with robes, skirts, hoods and such should have softgoods. Ewoks for instance should keep their sculpted hoods. They look great and do not stand in the way of posing the figures.

Speaking of Yoda: Kenner made one and with that made THE Yoda figure. Hasbro's attempted what.... 14 times?


DARKLORD1967, have you ever attempted making a correctly draped robe on a Royal Guard?
 
Joined
Aug 4, 2007
Messages
607
Reaction score
0
I would like to see Hasbro add one of these and two light sabers to the cabinets in the saga legends on all Jedi instead of the clone guns.
 
Joined
Aug 23, 2004
Messages
18,083
Reaction score
0
Location
Gotham City
Or change up the gun selection a little bit. Maybe add a chain gun or like a sniper rifle or something.
 
Joined
Sep 20, 2005
Messages
5,139
Reaction score
0
Location
Eau Claire, WI
Furedorikku said:
Cramer said:
But I still extend the challenge to the anti-soft goods; show me a good sculpted robed figure that is posable and an 'action figure' (I can actually think of a few, but I'm not saying, hehe)
That's completely irrelevant to the concerns of people who don't like soft goods. We could allow that figures with sculpted plastic robes are less articulated than figures with soft goods, and we'll still have the exact same discussion we're having now. In fact, we have specifically said we'd sacrifice articulation for sculpted plastic robes, and we are indeed still having the same discussion.
We? WE?!?!?! Hey speak for yourself! I wouldnt dare sacrifice articulation for ANYTHING! I accept fabric on figures so I can put them in some wicked-awesome poses, not just stand them on a shelf so they can look pretty and collect dust! And the 90s Vaders suck. Legacy Vader remains the greatest Vader figure we have ever gotten. The softgoods on him don't take away anything from the look (Save for that stupid "necklace" chain. yeah...I cut that off) and he poses amazingly. He, unlike every 90s figure, is actually fun to play with! Thanks to the softgoods that don't interfere with articulation!

And I support the softgoods/plastic combo we sometimes see on figures. The hoods often look dreadful on jedi and Palpatine figures alike. But if ONLY the hood is sculpted while the rest is softgoods, the hood will look great, still allow for a full range of neck movement, and the figure can still pose!

No, sir, YOU would be willing to sacrifice articulation. Not me!
 
Joined
Apr 22, 2001
Messages
2,409
Reaction score
0
Where is this soft good stemple?

I will just say I am a SG fanatic, it guides most of my collecting and I will never buy another salt shaker again.
 
Joined
Feb 26, 2008
Messages
711
Reaction score
0
Lord_Atmo said:
Furedorikku said:
Cramer said:
But I still extend the challenge to the anti-soft goods; show me a good sculpted robed figure that is posable and an 'action figure' (I can actually think of a few, but I'm not saying, hehe)
That's completely irrelevant to the concerns of people who don't like soft goods. We could allow that figures with sculpted plastic robes are less articulated than figures with soft goods, and we'll still have the exact same discussion we're having now. In fact, we have specifically said we'd sacrifice articulation for sculpted plastic robes, and we are indeed still having the same discussion.
We? WE?!?!?! Hey speak for yourself! I wouldnt dare sacrifice articulation for ANYTHING! I accept fabric on figures so I can put them in some wicked-awesome poses, not just stand them on a shelf so they can look pretty and collect dust! And the 90s Vaders suck. Legacy Vader remains the greatest Vader figure we have ever gotten. The softgoods on him don't take away anything from the look (Save for that stupid "necklace" chain. yeah...I cut that off) and he poses amazingly. He, unlike every 90s figure, is actually fun to play with! Thanks to the softgoods that don't interfere with articulation!

And I support the softgoods/plastic combo we sometimes see on figures. The hoods often look dreadful on jedi and Palpatine figures alike. But if ONLY the hood is sculpted while the rest is softgoods, the hood will look great, still allow for a full range of neck movement, and the figure can still pose!

No, sir, YOU would be willing to sacrifice articulation. Not me!
Totally agree on the robe hoods. They are always a nusiance. I think maybe Hasbro should make robes from soft goods still, but make the hood from molded plastic, but make it still so it's removable so you can have the figure with or without the hood on.

I keep emailing Hasbro about sorting out their Jedi robes and soft goods in general. How come you see customisers on here do awesome jobs with soft goods while Hasbro's "professionals" can't get them right?! Always puzzles me that does.

Vader's robe/cape is always far too big. Same with others too.

As for the people saying about putting in lightsabers in the SL with the Jedi/Sith figures as well as blasters, totally agree there. I've been saying for a while Hasbro should do accessory sets where we get a good selection of lightsabers, blaster, rifles, hilts, fixed and detacable blades, maybe introduce the virboblade too that ARCs and Commandos use, as well as putting in different styles and colours of robes/capes/coats and putting in good solid weapons racks to stow rifles/blaster etc.

I reckon if they really loaded it up, did it right, I wouldn't have any issues paying £10-£15 for such an accessory set.
 
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
1,515
Reaction score
0
Lord_Atmo said:
We? WE?!?!?! Hey speak for yourself! I wouldnt dare sacrifice articulation for ANYTHING! I accept fabric on figures so I can put them in some wicked-awesome poses, not just stand them on a shelf so they can look pretty and collect dust! And the 90s Vaders suck. Legacy Vader remains the greatest Vader figure we have ever gotten. The softgoods on him don't take away anything from the look (Save for that stupid "necklace" chain. yeah...I cut that off) and he poses amazingly. He, unlike every 90s figure, is actually fun to play with! Thanks to the softgoods that don't interfere with articulation!

And I support the softgoods/plastic combo we sometimes see on figures. The hoods often look dreadful on jedi and Palpatine figures alike. But if ONLY the hood is sculpted while the rest is softgoods, the hood will look great, still allow for a full range of neck movement, and the figure can still pose!

No, sir, YOU would be willing to sacrifice articulation. Not me!
Didn't you read the guys post? He was speaking for, I quote - 'people who don't like softgoods'. Then he started with the pronoun 'we'.
 
Joined
Apr 16, 2003
Messages
356
Reaction score
0
I personally love softgoods - its brings a whole unique dimension to a figure- although I agree that they are often executed poorly - case in point the TAC Luke Jedi Knight with the towel around his neck. I fixed this one with a 5 minute custom with some thin black fabric.



Now he's my favorite Jedi Luke.
 
Joined
Aug 6, 2003
Messages
11,089
Reaction score
101
AnthonyP said:
Lightsabers in the Locker of the SL would be awesome. I lost one of the lightsabers to my Darth Talon.
I agree - many of us need spare lightsabers over more blasters. As for softgoods, I personally enjoy them - I really hope every Jedi from this point forward includes them in some way...even if its just the outter cloak.

Pure softgoods work, like this years ANH Obi-Wan whos nothing short of amazing - or combining softgoods with pvc...like the evo Anakin from ROTS, which has been used on other Jedi...both types turn out really nice.
 
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
3,400
Reaction score
1
Location
Vancouver
Soft Goods: Love \'em or Hate \'em

I find it sad that people will HATE a figure (or Hasbro, or their life...) because a toy has or hasn't got soft goods. Even worse, those who [censored] and complain, then BUY the figure, and continue to [censored] and complain. This baffles me!?! If it is that traumatic to have a cloth skirt, or a plastic cape, in your collection, then leave it on the pegs for someone who will enjoy it. If something HASBRO is doing gets you that upset; DON'T BUY IT! That is the only way they will get your point!
 
Joined
Jan 18, 2008
Messages
1,957
Reaction score
0
Re: Soft Goods: Love \'em or Hate \'em

I'm starting to appreciate soft goods. Vader Capes, Palpy Robes, and Jedi Robes are all very awesome when you get soft goods. Even more fun is to dunk them in water and let the water droop them down and make it look more natural. Soft goods kamas--still not a fan of those, because they don't have the "heft" that kamas should have IMO.
 
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
1,443
Reaction score
0
Re: Soft Goods: Love \'em or Hate \'em

I personally don't mind the soft goods as long as they're not produced in sweatshops using underpaid laborers
.

I'm sure Hasbro can produce better quality soft goods. It might be a cost issue.
 
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
1,515
Reaction score
0
rrighteous said:
I personally love softgoods - its brings a whole unique dimension to a figure- although I agree that they are often executed poorly - case in point the TAC Luke Jedi Knight with the towel around his neck. I fixed this one with a 5 minute custom with some thin black fabric.



Now he's my favorite Jedi Luke.
Thats an improvement alright - but theres no fixing those joints - the cankles, the swollen elbows and knees. Maybe you could gloss black the boots though.
 

Daigo_Bah

Moderator
Joined
Jul 14, 2000
Messages
8,200
Reaction score
17
This is a repeat post from a customs thread I started, but I wanted to show you guys the effect of hot glue on Ben's robes.









 
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
1,515
Reaction score
0
Daigo_Bah said:
This is a repeat post from a customs thread I started, but I wanted to show you guys the effect of hot glue on Ben's robes.
Superb SG custom. I'd be all over a retail Obi-wan that looked like that. Puts what we got to shame.
 
Joined
Jan 22, 2007
Messages
894
Reaction score
0
The cloak looks better. The two cloth things that drape down under his belt should have been plastic I think.
 
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
2,254
Reaction score
0
Thats a sweet Ben soft goods custom, I just wish Hasbro would take notice of all you guys who get the soft goods looking cool, as you have shown us its not that hard to do, and I for one will be doing it, thanks to all of you guys but especially to the maker of the Soft Goods Ben, you have answered a problem I was having with my Ben's Cloak.
 
Joined
Sep 20, 2005
Messages
5,139
Reaction score
0
Location
Eau Claire, WI
ETAndElliot said:
The cloak looks better. The two cloth things that drape down under his belt should have been plastic I think.
I agree wholeheartedly. they wont stay down on my Ben at all
 
Joined
Mar 21, 2008
Messages
1,317
Reaction score
0
Location
Geonosis, Arkanis Sector
Usually I'm not a fan of soft goods. Once in awhile it works for vests and capes, VTSC Greedo was ok. And the Royal Guards, certain characters just have to have soft goods. But when it comes to skirts, I'd rather have it how the Galactic Marine was done.
 
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
913
Reaction score
0
Location
west sacramento
I usually don't particulairly like SG, but the way that Obi looks, I may get a hot glue gun and Some figure's I've been passing up.
The only upside to SG is the realistic look.
 
Joined
Apr 2, 2017
Messages
357
Reaction score
0
Location
UK
I'm definitely not a fan of soft goods. They're generally too bulky and don't hang realistically. I much prefer clothes to be sculpted in plastic like VTSC Han Solo (Hoth Outfit) for example.

Soft goods are particularly detracting when collecting MOC figures and the figure is almost totally wrapped-up in them inside the bubble...
 
Last edited:
Joined
May 14, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Anyone know where to get parts for the lagacy ATAT for a decent price? I need the ladder and the flaps
kn the speeder bike. Thanks for any help. I'm new and can't post yet.
 
Top