Soft Goods

Reaction score
<font color="blue"> #1 Soft good hater here, I'm surprised that there are allot of Haters here more than i thought. I figure it's like 50/50 people hate soft good vs people who like them, and in the past i always felt both camps had been thrown bones.

But with the line lately i really feel it's almost been totally in the SG camp. The SG haters havent been thown many bones as of late.

I Open my figures, i love super articulated figures, but I'm okay with sacraficing some poseability at the cost of looking cool. Cause ultimatly my figures just end up standing there, and i want them to look nice.

I don't feel soft good at this size can properly fold or display small details. Large figures with fabric can look great, but the fabric texture doesn't translate at the small size. They don't properly reflect how a person would really be wearing fabric. Could you imagine how doofy it'd look if the real life obi wan in ANH had his coat actually fit like the crappy soft goods version coming out now. I don't care if the figure can sit down properly or not, cause i won't buy it it' looks like [censored].

I also hate how they don't match, the fabric and plastic don't flow together. Say they make a figure with a sculpted torso and a soft goods "skirt" thats supposed to be the same type of fabric that the torso made of. It doesn't match at all. I like a coheasive look and soft good break that as well.

I can understand the occasional soft goods needed for stuff like the 500th vader or figures that need to fit into vehicles. And I know there are barbie doll collectors who like soft goods figure, but it just seems unfair to me lateley when it should be a 50/50 split, it's not.

</font>

Reaction score
RayH said:
I also hate how they don't match, the fabric and plastic don't flow together. Say they make a figure with a sculpted torso and a soft goods "skirt" thats supposed to be the same type of fabric that the torso made of. It doesn't match at all. I like a coheasive look and soft good break that as well.

That is exactly why I'm skipping the new Old Ben.

John

Reaction score
ETAndElliot said:
It looks like as soon as you bend ANH Luke's arms, they'll stick out from the sleeves ridiculously like it's a short-sleeve shirt.

Hmmmm... "arms that stick out of the sleeves"...

I think I see what you mean.

Kinda of LIKE THE WAY THEY DID IN THE FILM, perhaps??

Reaction score
Yeah, not whenever his arms weren't at his side. Mine can't possibly look right no matter what I do (although I refuse to iron it or whatever you have done, you shouldn't have to do that with SW figures!). The shoddy looking stitching on the VOTC shirt is nothing like the costume. Yuck. An action figure of this scale should not wear a shirt like that. I'm not trying to insult your work, I guess you did the best you could with what Hasbro provided. But the design of VOTC puffy shirt Luke just doesn't even fit in with any of the other figures. To top it off my factory version has bad paint apps and buck teeth.

Reaction score
ETAndElliot said:
Yeah, not whenever his arms weren't at his side.

I believe you specified the riding-up arm sleeves being "problem" whenever his arms might be "bent".

Well, my point is, the sleeves of Luke's baggy tunic riding up along his arms was a pretty common condition all during A New Hope whenever his arms were bent or extended.

Therefore, the VOTC soft-goods tunic is actually more accurate to the garment seen in the films... at least in that regard.

Furthermore, a sculpted tunic does not react to gravity, nor the action figure's moves at all, making certain extended arm gestures / poses look un-naturally stiff in my eyes.

ETAndElliot said:
I refuse to iron it or whatever you have done, you shouldn't have to do that with SW figures!
Well, your "refusal" to iron soft-goods on your figures is just fine. After all, they're your figures, and it is your choice to do with them what you will.

But frankly, I've always been puzzled by these types of "blanket" assertions (from non-customizers) that improvements, upgrades, and changes to the figures "shouldn't" have to be made.

Exactly why is the improvement of an action figure's soft-goods something that "shouldn't" be done?

What is the reason for this assertion?

Why "should" that particular improvement be off-limits somehow?

Is it because these figures cost a whole $8, and therefore they "should" be perfect right off the card?

Honestly.

With all due respect, saying that soft-goods adjustments "shouldn't" have to be made to action figures is about as reasonable as me saying that soft-goods adjustments "must" be made.

I find that assertion a little silly and self-centered.
These adjustments are a matter of choice.

In my view, adjusting soft-goods garments for an improved appearance (through ironing or nipping and tucking), is no different than adjusting the articulation points on a figure to improve its dramatic appearance on a shelf or diorama.

Is it "wrong" to pose the arm or leg of a figure (differently from the way it came packaged / posed on the card)?

Is that type of adjustment something that "shouldn't" happen simply because that's NOT the figure's original factory condition at the time of purchase?

I just don't understand the type of logic that states that one aspect of an action figure's features (Ie: the soft-goods garments) "shouldn't" be eligible for adjustment, while it's other features (Ie: the figure's articulated limbs) are.

ETAndElliot said:
The shoddy looking stitching on the VOTC shirt is nothing like the costume. Yuck.

There is nothing "shoddy looking" about the stiching on the VOTC tunic. it is done by machine and it is clean. I will concede that the stitches appear large when worn by a figure in this scale. But that is not an issue that bothers me.

ETAndElliot said:
An action figure of this scale should not wear a shirt like that.
Well, judging by the scarcity of VOTC Luke (when compared to all other Luke action figure versions) on E-bay and other auction / collector's sites, I'd say a whole lot of folks (myself included) disagree with you.

ETAndElliot said:
I'm not trying to insult your work, I guess you did the best you could with what Hasbro provided.
No insult taken. My work is not for everyone.

ETAndElliot said:
To top it off my factory version has bad paint apps and buck teeth.
Well, there I agree with you. I've never really cared for the VOTC Luke head sculpt and paint deco. That's why I went with the POTJ version for ALL of my custom Lukes.

Reaction score
DarthJoker said:
For those that say they "play" with their figures, what do you mean exactly? Do you mean putting them in different poses, which is something I think all of us do, or do you mean you literally "play" with them, making sound effects and and making them talk, etc.? Just curious.
Ha! ha! ha! I do that sometimes when I'm so freaking board.

Reaction score
DARKLORD1967 said:
My work is not for everyone.
Your work is...mixed. This isn't your "fault", you were working with VOTC Luke which I consider a horribly designed figure (yet, ironically the closest to a decent ANH farmboy Luke ever made in the modern line). I think I'm one of the few supporters of a cloth robe for the Emperor. The plastic robes have never worked for me from the vintage times. The Evolutions one I also believe is the closest to a good Emperor in the modern line, although ironically it doesn't really resemble the Emperor! Your customized version obviously is far better than the one Hasbro put out (although I'm not a fan of that SAGA "sad" face sculpt). The Yoda also looks great, and you used the only headsculot from the modern line that actually looks like Yoda (ignoring TPM).

Reaction score
ETAndElliot said:
Your work is...mixed. This isn't your "fault", you were working with VOTC Luke which I consider a horribly designed figure (yet, ironically the closest to a decent ANH farmboy Luke ever made in the modern line).

Gee... thanks... I think.

My custom Tatooine farmboy Luke actually utilizes very little from VOTC Luke.

Yes, the cloth robe, torso, and arms come from VOTC Luke, but the rest of the figure is comprised of parts from many other sources.

I worked extensively to lengthen Luke's legs for correct anatomical proportions and character height. I felt VOTC Luke was too short and he had stubby legs.

I also performed major surgery on a pelvis (adapted from elsewhere) so that this figure had the stance that I felt was appropriate for this character (rather than VOTC Luke's awkward narrow stance).

Additionally, I added deco details to this figure (Ie: Binoculars, chromed belt buckle, belt pouches) and some loose accessories which are not pictured in the photo (stormtrooper belt, Imperial blaster rifle, grappling line and hook, farmboy sun hat and goggles, cloth poncho, laser hunting rifle, lightsaber, T-16 Skyhopper model, etc.) which make this custom figure one of my most deceptively elaborate to date.

ETAndElliot said:
I think I'm one of the few supporters of a cloth robe for the Emperor. The plastic robes have never worked for me from the vintage times. The Evolutions one I also believe is the closest to a good Emperor in the modern line, although ironically it doesn't really resemble the Emperor! Your customized version obviously is far better than the one Hasbro put out (although I'm not a fan of that SAGA "sad" face sculpt).

The interesting thing about that sculpt is that I still really feel that it is the only one produced by Hasbro so far that best resembles Palpatine as seen throughout most of Return of the Jedi. In that film, the character is designed to look frail, weak, and a little morose / sad so that he is easily underestimated. The vicious glee in his face doesn't really show itself until the end of the film during the confrontation with Luke. Prior to that, he tended to have a downcast facial expression, with the corners of his mouth curling downward, and his features barely visible beneath the shadows of his hood.

That was what I believed I captured with my custom figure.

ETAndElliot said:
The Yoda also looks great, and you used the only headsculot from the modern line that actually looks like Yoda (ignoring TPM).
Thanks. I still think that particular Yoda head sculpt has not been topped by Hasbro yet. I think the character should be slightly large-headed. I think it's what makes him seem elf-like and cerebral.

As for head sculpts in general, I still prefer the character head sculpts, paint decos, and scale sizes from the (very late) days of POTF II and all of POTJ.

I find the majority of head sculpts produced since to be pea-headed, badly painted, and in some cases badly warped.

Reaction score
I'm always in favor of soft goods over sculpted plastic or that funky soft plastic from the POTF2 days. Maybe it's the vintage collector in me, but I think soft goods adds something special to a figure. That said, it can come off as a mess with some figures and Hasbro has a difficult time pulling it off sometimes simply because they make things too bulky.

Darklord, your work is outstanding! I'd seen a few of them before, but not all of them and together they're really something!

Reaction score
Yeesh! I told you guys this thread would be a mess..

DARKLORD - I'm with you 100% all the way man!

It's a shame things are slipping, I just hope they learn from their mistakes.

At the end of the day, although it is predominantly a TOY line, the collectors are obviously a part of their plan.. but not enough. What can you do about the new TESB Luke but shake your head. Great headsculpt - bad paint. Sumo wrestler's robe on a little guy? Wierd stuff.. but I think with each dissapointing release in terms of core characters being nailed.. the conspiracy theory 'plot' thickens..

Reaction score
Funny the way opinions differ. ETandElliot obviously isn't fond of Darklords Tatooine Luke custom yet has some praise for the likes of the Evolutions Emperor. I despise the latter - I find it useless for anything other than being lifted up by Emperors Wrath Vader to be plunged over the railing accessory from the Saga DSII Luke!! I think the SG render that figure useless for normal standing or sitting and the facesculpt isn't up to much either. However I love Darklords custom ANH luke and what he did with the softgoods. I believe he also used the best combination of parts from other figures and put them together in a very professional looking way. As I said already if Hasbro had made that I'd have army built it!

Reaction score
Softgoods can turn out really nice, like the 2009 ANH Obi-wan skirt and cloak. They can also look silly, like the 2009 ESB Luke from the medical frigate scene. I think its a matter of what material is being used and how form fitting they make it. In the case of the ESB Luke, Hasbro could have used the ROTS Ki-Adi Mundi as an example and combined a softgoods cloak with a pvc belt...which turned out great. Hopefully someone at Hasbro is reading this thread, lol...

Reaction score
I like the Jedi robes that come with the Jedi figures. Like that they're puffy.

Reaction score
You are strange folk you SG fans. Of all the examples of 'good' softgoods I wouldn't point to the new old Ben with that overlong triangle skirt.

Reaction score
The new Ben's skirt of course isn't perfect, but I think a simple solution would possibly be to trim a couple of millimetres off the bottom of the tunic, so that it doesn't go past his feet. I think that might stop the fabric having that spread out look once it touches the ground - because there'll be some clearance after the mod.

Additionally, it looks as though you can overlap the two ends of the tunic a bit more, thus shrinking the diameter of the tunic at the bottom anyway. When I get one I'll try these ideas & post some pics (in the Ben thread).

Reaction score
While I will admit the sculpted plastic "goods" do look better on a figure, they limit the movement (a little bit on some but a lot on others) which, to me, defeats the purpose of an action figure. Even though I mostly only display my collection I prefer to get figures that I would have liked as a child and limitations in the articulation were a big turn-off to me (which is why as a kid I mostly had G.I. Joe figures). It pains me that none of my Imperial officers can sit down (and one of the biggest scenes with several Imperial officers is of them sitting at a table) because of that plastic tunic bottom. Soft goods, while not as dynamic as sculpted plastic, still get the point across and still allow for the figures full range of motion which for me is a winning combination.

Reaction score
For YOU, buddy... anything! Thanks so much for the vote of confidence!
I'm a amateurish noob when compared to you.

But here are some of my custom (soft-goods wearin') little friends from a few years back...

LUKE SKYWALKER: Tatooine Farmboy

YODA: Jedi Master

BEN OBI-WAN KENOBI

LUKE SKYWALKER: Jedi Knight

EMPEROR PALPATINE

DARTH VADER: Dark Lord of The Sith

For anyone that missed these custom figures the first 100 times they were posted
, the soft goods here were either sewn-tailored for better fit, or carefully pressed with an iron to achieve the correct drape.

Its a technique that takes a long time and requires patience to achieve the correct result... just like Greg's (Daigo-bah's) incredibly effective "watering down" method of "taming" overly wild soft goods.

Now, I once had a curious friend watch me prep a soft-goods garment that I was putting together for a custom 4 inch scaled figure. After seeing everything i go through to get the procedure correct, this friend commented, "Man, I would never go through that kind of trouble. I just don't have that kind of patience. That's just too hard!"

I thought about what he said for a moment, and then I quoted Tom Hanks (from "A League of their Own") as i responded, "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, then everybody would do it. The "hard" is what makes it great."

In a nutshell that sums up my feelings about a well-executed soft-goods wearing figure (with no poofy garment, a clean fit and drape, and a pleasing overall look). Yes it's a challenge. Yes it's "hard" to pull off.

But that's what makes them great when they are well done.

[/QUOTE]

I have to say, soft goods do look awesome when fitted properly like in these pictures. These are fantastic, especially the Vader. All my Vader's currently look like they have oversized curtains hanging on them as I've not attempted to fit them better.

In all fairness, I do prefer soft goods as it gives you the freedom you need with posing figures, especially if you want to sit them in a vehicle. My Agen Kolar, depiste having the nasty swivel elbows, I've stripped him of the moulded plastic robes so I can adjust is arm now and pose him better.

All Jedi figures shuold come with ball jointed shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles with swivel wrists as standard, none of this swivel crap on shoulders and elbows. With my Agen, the one arm keeps falling off thanks to the swivel rubbish.

I think Hasbro should do a Jedi Knight accessory kit which has say 4 Jedi robes in it (maybe different styles and make sure the robes do NOT extend past the ankles), various lightsabers with green, blue, purple, yellow, silver etc blades and have some hilts on their own without the pegs to to attach to the waist, but so you can put them in a sheath or holster style vest like the Elizabeth Swann Singapore disguise comes with that cross vest, I've put two lightsaber hilts in it.

Reaction score
I like fabrik on the figures.
I like Oolas leggins.
And ROTS Luminara Unduli and Shaak Tis skirt, I wish Breha & Padme fireplace had someting simular so they cud have been sited down.
And I like Order 66 Anakin. I use him as bedtime Ani

Reaction score
Oola said:
I like fabrik on the figures.
I like Oolas leggins.
And ROTS Luminara Unduli and Shaak Tis skirt, I wish Breha & Padme fireplace had someting simular so they cud have been sited down.
And I like Order 66 Anakin. I use him as bedtime Ani

What did you use to get the ink off his chest I tried goof off and it didn't turn out so well.

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting some material to make my own capes/robes etc. Have some t-shirts I no longer wear but the material is nice and thin, but strong, and black. Was going to run off some designs when I have time, and hand make them. Was thinking I might sell them in my shop as well.

I'm currently using an ARC Trooper from the Mando & Clones box set for my own Sith character and I like the moulded kama but might attempt to make a soft goods version and attach it to the plastic belt so I keep the belt but cut away the plastic moulded kama skirt itself, leaving some of it to attach the soft goods to of course. Shame it doesn't have holsters on that Kama too as it would be easy to cut around the holsters keepin them linked to the belt to attach the soft goods to the belt, would be anice effect to hopefully.

Sometimes, the moulded stuff works really, like the Asaj Ventress character (Clone Wars 2003-04) where the skirt is flowing, and other similar styles too, but they are good for posing in battle scenes whereas you couldn't then sit those figures down. It's why I prefer soft goods over all, if they are properly fitted.

I find the soft goods on the Vader's of late, very badly fitted. There's no need for Hasbro to make them that way. The Jedi robe on the new Stass Allie is ok, but room for improvement still on the fitting.

Reaction score
Dark Lord, those are amazing. If you do not already have a career, you should be sending a resume and portfolio to the big H. If you have a cult, I may join it.

Reaction score
Chewbacca said:
Dark Lord, those are amazing. If you do not already have a career, you should be sending a resume and portfolio to the big H. If you have a cult, I may join it.
I'm afraid Hasbro probably wouldn't be too impressed with my custom figure photos. They would likely smirk and say, "All he (Darklord) did was press the fabric robes and capes that WE made with an iron, and then re-dressed the figures".

Basically, they'd be right.

As for the cult, it does exist. It's called the Soft-Goods Lover's Temple.

I am merely one of many in the congregation that regularly sings praises to the cloth!

Reaction score
Most of the time, I hate soft goods, few figures have really pulled them off. The best I've seen was Ashoka's skirt, the cloth on Hermi Odle and the capes of Jax and Kanos. But overall, I feel they aren't worth the effort. I prefer displaying my figures, so molded clothing is my favorite.

Reaction score
Darklord I've said it before but your customs are AMAZING. The softgoods are just fantastic.

Reaction score
Anyone who dosent nt thir soft goods obes can sell them to me. Happy to take a couple. A dollar AUS each plus postage. I love soft goods. I hate it when the make a figure with knees then cover them with plastic so they cant sit down. TAC Mace ring a bell!!

Reaction score
Personally, I love soft goods, but I value functionality over looks. A large part of this is that I was still playing with Star Wars figures with my youger brother when ROTS came out.
darthconlan said:
I love soft goods. I hate it when the make a figure with knees then cover them with plastic so they cant sit down. TAC Mace ring a bell!!
It's pretty easy to fix Mace. Just heat him and pop him apart at the torso, cut down his skirt piece, and replace it with one from an older Mace (I used the Jedi vs. Sidious one). Here's my result:

Reaction score
I absolutely hate softgoods passionately as the single greatest problem affecting my enjoyment of this hobby.

Boba Fett's cape often looks good with softgoods, but that's because as plastic it looks like a formless blob. Darth Nihilus has good softgoods, but that's only because his outfit is supposed to be tattered and ripped, so the natural ugliness of softgoods adds to the figure. Beyond that, softgoods shouldn't even have the word good in it, because the irony of it grates severely. And honestly, neither of these figures is so much a win that I wouldn't sacrifice the two figures softgoods looks good on for the many dozens it looks like crap on.

The worst is when a figure has a mixture of softgoods and plastic in the same garment. Like they couldn't stop at pissing off only people who hate softgoods or people who love softgoods. Nothing is more jarring to aesthetic than to have mismatched textures/colors/sensibilities.

Softgoods was never a great problem for me. Usually, there were multiple versions of every figure that had softgoods, so if I didn't like the softgoods, I'd just get an all-plastic version, but Hasbro has made so many figures in recent years where there is only one version and it has softgoods that I have had to compromise and voluntarily contract the nasty softgoods plague.

I still don't have a Darth Vader I'm happy with. I display a '90s version of the figure because while he is way too bulky, newer versions are anorexic and every one of them has softgoods (which usually you can see right through). I wanted to squad build the SA Snowtroopers that came out a couple of years ago, but they had pretty cloth skirts like dress up dolls would wear. I've recently purchased one, cut the plastic skirt off an older version and found it might work on the new one. So I might have to get sixteen figures to bash together eight I don't detest.

The only way I could accept the aesthetic of softgoods at 3 3/4" scale is if all the clothing on the figure were softgoods so that you could entirely remove the clothing and change the outfits, but then I would be entirely done collecting 3 3/4" figures. I'd just collect 12", because if I were forced to buy figures with softgoods, they at least look good at 12".

And what really bothers me is that Hasbro said somewhere (I don't remember where, so don't ask) that softgoods are more expensive. . . . But I have to put up with what seems like every other figure coming with hideous doll clothing that challenges my gag reflex (and wins).

Yeah, put me down for loathing softgoods.

Reaction score
I for one like the hybrid, SG mixed with sculpt. The latest ROTS Obi Wan and Anakin are good examples of decent skirts with plastic sashes. Especially the Obi Wan, which uses a canvas like cloth that's the same color and texture as the mold.

But I still extend the challenge to the anti-soft goods; show me a good sculpted robed figure that is posable and an 'action figure' (I can actually think of a few, but I'm not saying, hehe)

Reaction score
Furedorikku said:
The worst is when a figure has a mixture of softgoods and plastic in the same garment. Nothing is more jarring to aesthetic than to have mismatched textures/colors/sensibilities.
This I completely agree with. It's very distracting for me when the bottom half is soft goods, and the top half is plastic. These are completely opposite materials that look nothing like each other, yet are supposed to be part of the same material in terms of what the character is wearing. Doesn't work for me at all and has prevented me from getting figures I otherwise would've wanted to have. I don't mind too much if it's a soft goods vest, or removable cape or cloak, though.

Reaction score
Cramer said:
But I still extend the challenge to the anti-soft goods; show me a good sculpted robed figure that is posable and an 'action figure' (I can actually think of a few, but I'm not saying, hehe)
That's completely irrelevant to the concerns of people who don't like soft goods. We could allow that figures with sculpted plastic robes are less articulated than figures with soft goods, and we'll still have the exact same discussion we're having now. In fact, we have specifically said we'd sacrifice articulation for sculpted plastic robes, and we are indeed still having the same discussion.

Reaction score
They can't be perfect. I like being able to pose them. Obviously the best thing that could be done is if hasbro made them with plastic robes and included a soft robe just for fun.

Reaction score
Blight said:
Great job on that mace!
Thanks!

I usually like soft goods, but I don't mind plastic if Hasbro gets it right, so it doesn't destroy articulation. I'm specifically thinking of Cade Skywalker here. He's one of my favorite figures from last year, and he doesn't need a cloth coat, as the plastic one works nicely (it even provides additional support).

I really do wish Hasbro would just cycle them to keep everyone happy, especially the figures that get dozens of rereleases (coughVadercough).