Soft Goods

GNT

Reaction score
Just starting a thread for everyone to discuss all things soft goods, since the ESB wave is featuring baggy clothes I thought everyone here can voice your opinion on the matter.

What do you prefer more - Plastic, cloth or both? What are some good and bad examples of soft goods? Discuss.

Reaction score
I hate soft goods when they are big - giant Jedi cloaks, Bail Organa's blue "thing" and Luke's gown are awful. They are nice when they do the bottom half of tunics on Jedi however.

The best ones ever are the ones in the vintage line (original, NOT VTSC etc). If they could get them nice 30 years ago,why is it such a challenge today?

Reaction score
This is either going to be an insightful & interesting discussion thread.. or a trainwreck waiting to happen.

My best choice for sculpted clothing would be.. ELIS HELROT. Looks great, but nice & flexible as well. My worst - SAGA1 PALPS.

My best choice for SG would be.. any Jedi/Sith figures that incorporate SG into their sculpted lower tunic sections. They look good AND are just as functional. My worst would be.. definitely the new TESB MEDICAL FRIGATE LUKE by a country mile.

Reaction score
I remember someone soaked their soft goods figures with water and then patting it down just the right way and letting them dry. Helped a lot from what i remember, like with the robes on Sideshow 12" figures

Reaction score
When it's vests (TSC Greedo) and capes/cloaks (TSC Garindan), soft goods work well. When it's tunics, robes, etc. (VOTC Obi-Wan), that's when soft goods doesn't work as well.

Reaction score
I like the thin material like on Evo Anakin's robe and Evo Vader's cape, but the thick puffy ones drive me crazy. And I can't think of an all-softgoods example that came out well. Usually I prefer plastic to softgoods.

Reaction score
I prefer plastic over soft goods on my figures. The VTAC Snowtrooper is one of the very few figures where the soft-goods came out alright and didn't detract from the figure. Any Boba Fett with soft goods is also done well. All of the others are not aesthetically pleasing to me.

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that a figure will look its best and have the most functionality when soft goods are executed properly (when applicable to the character). There is no better example of this than the evo OT Vader. When Jedi robes use thinner materials (like the Order 66 Windu), I think it adds to those figures as well. One figure that could have greatly benefited from soft goods was the ROTS Agen Kolar.

The downside of soft goods is that the characteristics of cloth don't miniaturize well in all cases. Where the full size garment will drape, the miniaturized version will simply stick or puff out. This is noticeable with the hoods on capes. When worn over the figure, it acts like a basketball hoop around their head. When worn down, it sticks straight back from the figure. I know a figure recently included a wire in the bottom of its cape to gain the desired shape, but I'm drawing a blank as to which one at this moment (the O66 Tsui Choi???). If that concept of a bendable wire can be brought forward to hoods and other aspects of soft goods, I think one of the big remaining hurdles can be solved. If I recall correctly, Hasbro said it was under consideration in a past Q&A.

Reaction score
There are some good examples of softgoods but generally its just not worth the risk of ruining the appearance of the figure. The bad ones look so bad that I am compelled to HATE softgoods as a rule. I'll write my list later, I'm in work and I'll keep being interrupted if I continue typing which will make me want to kill someone.

Reaction score
In general, I detest soft goods. I would always choose plastic over SG.

That said, a few good examples of soft goods have already come up in theis thread. The lower tunics on the jedi, Boba Fett's cape, VOTC Lando's cape... I think these are all examples of good soft goods. Overall, though, many examples end up looking like the new ESB Luke - puffy disasters.

Reaction score
If Hasbro can create the 'perfect' cape, then it should include a wire in the hood and a wire around the hem. Sideshow managed to execute their cloaks very well and fit well over a characters head due to the inclusion of a wire. Surely it couldn't cost THAT much more to include a wire in a hood.

Reaction score
The hoods with thin wire frames idea is excellent - & one that's been mentioned around here quite a few times in the past. It'd make things like the iconic look of The Emperor's large draping hood so much more possible, as well as Jedi robes hoods AND sleeve cuffs.

As GOLB mentioned though, scale is the biggest reason for a lot of examples not working properly most of the time. I like several of the modern figures with SG, but of course it's all subjective to your own idea of what's good or bad in the end - & as with many of the debates regarding figures positives & negatives, the 'grey area' concerning topics like this is huge.

I don't know if anyone's really noticed, but regarding the new TESB Luke, his final poduction piece robe - apart from being awful, is actually an entirely different item compared to the robe in the promo image. The earlier version is made from a more smoother nylon type of fabric similar to VOTC Luke's shirt. There's multiple stitching at all the hem areas, sleeve cuffs & collar - quite good.

Then you look at what we're actually now getting, it's not even close. All the stitching is just about gone, & the fabric's changed to a more puffy spongey material. When Hasbro make horrible changes like this, I don't blame people for hating SG at all - especially when it was fine the first time so to speak.

Reaction score
my_kind_of_scum said:
In general, I detest soft goods. I would always choose plastic over SG.

That said, a few good examples of soft goods have already come up in theis thread. The lower tunics on the jedi, Boba Fett's cape, VOTC Lando's cape... I think these are all examples of good soft goods. Overall, though, many examples end up looking like the new ESB Luke - puffy disasters.
http://www.rebelscum.com/sagaobiwanpilot.asp

Puffy soft goods-the heck you say

Reaction score
Not a fan of softgoods in general, but I accept that some of the more action-oriented characters require them.

I like the materials they used for TAC Jango, and Legacy Bail. The weave is fine, they seem waterproof, and they go nicely with the plastic parts. Also, the vinyl used on the old Kenner capes is great, if you can call that soft-goods.

I can't stand the materials that drape poorly, are obviously out-of-scale, or that get dirty easily.

Worst ever soft goods- Saga Obi-Wan Pilot with the towel-looking fur robe.

Most-in-need-of-soft-goods- TAC Mace with the hard plastic skirt.

Reaction score
I am almost always pro softgoods. Toys need to be able to sit in vehicles, swap outfits around and fight/ be posable. I cant stand teh salt shaker figures and hate even more main characters in limited poses like teh E1 Jedi and EII arena figures. All terrible.

Reaction score
I prefer plastic because they can really get the look of the character right with sculpted poses. Don't say it adds realism with soft goods either since the real people aren't plastic figures anyways. To me, sculpt will always triumph in importance over articulation.

Reaction score
It can be great if done right. I feel this way about the 2008 Obi-Wan and Darth Vader figures. Great articulation was afforded and the cloth skirts don't detract from the figures' appearance or general accuracy. Same goes for the VTAC Snowtrooper. Prime bad uses of soft goods are Luke Skywalker figures. Let's break it down:

VOTC Luke Skywalker - Action figures of this scale should NOT wear shirts. The puffy tunic was a bad idea and a sculpted torso is completely preferable.

TAC Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight) - The cloth "vest" not only looks bad, it's entirely inaccurate. Luke was wearing a vest and the cloth is made to hang around his neck like a bath towel. He looks hideous from behind.

TLC Luke Skywalker (Medical) - The cloth robe looks like bandage material and inaccurate to film. It's too puffy and simply looks ridiculous.

Reaction score
I'd rather have a figure look like a salt shaker over a spongy, poof ball, Barbie doll kind of look any day. And not every figure needs to be SA for me. The new MF Luke and Leia figures are a good example of figures that don't need to be SA at all and therefore didn't need the damn soft goods. The robe on Luke is so big that Hasbro could have easily made the figure with a sculpted robe and then just thrown that huge piece of fabric on top to make the soft-goods crowd happy.

Reaction score
I usually prefer soft goods over sculpted and that's especially true on any figure where the sculpted outfits hinder articulation which could have worked with soft goods. The "skirt" part of Jedi figures and figures that should be able to sit down such as pilots or cantina patrons and that type of deal.

These are toys and the playability of them should take precedent over 100% screen accuracy. I'll always take slightly goofy looking soft goods on a good toy over sculpted detail that detracts from it being a good toy.

E...

Reaction score
I always prefer plastic. If softgoods is used wisely, like in the TAC Obi Wan and Anakin where plastic compliments the subtle use of softgoods in order to retain articulation then that is okay. The other exception would be if you had a Jedi as a pack in with a starfighter, then the robe should be all cloth. Other than that, all figures should have plastic. The upcoming Obi Wan, Wioslea, Frigate Luke and Leia should all have plastic.

Yak

Reaction score
Soft goods when done well can make an average figure spectacular. Big bulky plastic capes, or even worse, one's where they have seperate arm sections, just destroy a figure.

Bring on the soft goods!!!

Reaction score
I would say of course depending on what figure your talking about. Of course a cape for ex. Darth Vader is much better being sg than plastic. Although for figures like Obi wan and the Emperor the hood is to big and looks silly. If they could make the hood smaller that would be great. For a figure like Darth Maul it's not as bad because the horns kind of help out a bit. Also with Yoda they have those little slots where his ears go. Sg is like anything else if executed properly no matter what it is than it will be good.

Reaction score
IamtheFett said:
If they could make the hood smaller that would be great.
They tried that on the evo palps, but it looked like some bully pulled the draw strings on his hoodie too tight.

Reaction score
I usually prefer soft goods, because I actually use my figures, and like the added articulation. I do see where you plastic guys are coming from though, the figures 'silhouette' matching the character's is an important part of a toy. I don't think the problem is soft goods, but how they are executed. I don't know how Hasbro's factories and designing crews work, but is it too much to ask that they develop a pattern that fits the figure's body? The medical frigate Luke and Leia could be so much better if somebody had spent 15 minutes and personalized their robes to their bodies. Technically, it would save Hasbro money by saving fabric. It would be interesting to see step-by-step pictures of how these figures are produced. Obviously machines make the clothes, but I wonder who or what puts them on.

Reaction score
GhostOfLunchBox said:
IamtheFett said:
If they could make the hood smaller that would be great.
They tried that on the evo palps, but it looked like some bully pulled the draw strings on his hoodie too tight.
There has to be a medium, there just has to be.
some way that this method of production could be executed properly!

Reaction score
Almost always prefer fabric to plastic. There are some figures that it doesn't work so well, like Modern Vintage Farmer Luke, but otherwise, I love fabric.

Reaction score
That looks like a lot of anti-softgoods people, I'm pleasantly surprised so far. I was expecting post after post of SG lovers.

Heres my list of figures, in no particular order, where the softgoods is actually pretty decent just to demonstrate that I'm not a mere hatemonger.

Episode I Qui-Gon Jinn (jedi master)
Episode I Obi-wan kenobi (jedi knight)
TAC Hermi Odle
TAC Obi wan Kenobi (ROTS)
TAC Anakin Skywalker (ROTS
ROTS Agen Kolar (skirt)
ROTS Luminara unduli
ROTS Shaak Ti
ROTS Count Dooku
POTF2 (1999) Interrogation Darth Vader
POTJ Masters of the Dark side Darth Vader
VTAC Snowtrooper
ROTS Ki-Adi mundi (looks off at first but can be manipulated)
Saga arena confrontation Mace Windu (toggle in back action feature)

Reaction score
Devo said:
That looks like a lot of anti-softgoods people, I'm pleasantly surprised so far. I was expecting post after post of SG lovers.

Heres my list of figures, in no particular order, where the softgoods is actually pretty decent just to demonstrate that I'm not a mere hatemonger.

Episode I Qui-Gon Jinn (jedi master)
Episode I Obi-wan kenobi (jedi knight)
TAC Hermi Odle
TAC Obi wan Kenobi (ROTS)
TAC Anakin Skywalker (ROTS
ROTS Agen Kolar (skirt)
ROTS Luminara unduli
ROTS Shaak Ti
ROTS Count Dooku
POTF2 (1999) Interrogation Darth Vader
POTJ Masters of the Dark side Darth Vader
I agree with you on Hermi Odle. His cape came out very nice in my opinion. Probably one of the only few that I like.

Reaction score
I often find that with Jedi robes, if they are soft goods, then the hood will either be too big or too small.

Reaction score
I thought of another one - Saga Arena confrontation Mace Windu - the one with the stupid action feature - the giant toggle that stuck out of a hole in his back that you could twist and turn to make Mace swing his lightsaber.

The softgoods were a great fit on that figure even though, ironically, it was a preposed!

Reaction score
I will always, ALWAYS choose plastic over softgoods, even if it means sacrificing articulation. Softgoods typically ruins a figure for me.

Reaction score
Hasbro's execution of softgoods has improved dramatically since they were introduced into the line. And they give a figure the needed articulation they need in order to be "action figures". Figures that can be posed in a variety of positions, seated in vehicles and re-enact scenes. Many molded robes look dynamic, but they've had the effect of turning an action figure into more of a 3.75" statue.

Have there been some figures with softgoods that haven't been well executed? Sure. But that comes with working with fabric at this scale. The new Jedi robes are somewhat big, but they can be molded to fit well while allowing a free range of motion for the figure. And look at how well softgoods were done on the ROTS Ki-Adi Mundi. That is just a fantastic figure!

I think softgoods are here to stay. Personally, I like the dynamic feel they add to a figure. Can they be improved? Certainly. But for now it seems like Hasbro is on the right track for gradually improving softgoods.

Reaction score
I may be in the minority on this, but I don't like the soft goods on the new old Ben from the ANH wave. I don't like the mismatching look the soft goods lower robes give. I would have prefered all plastic for this one. He would have looked great in my Early Bird display. As it stands, I'm not buying the figure and will keep using POTJ Ben for my Early Bird display.

John

Reaction score
I deal with SG on a case by case basis. If done right it, I think their superior to plastic. I ultimately think that SG only work well in a limited capacity. I.E.: capes, the lower half of EVO Anakin, Snowtrooper kamas. Attempting to make larger more complicated parts of an outfit never seem to go well. Like the EVO Emperor.

Reaction score
Well, if Hasbro can afford to package an extra set of legs with slave Leia, why can't they package figures with a removable plastic skirt to "roll" over the soft goods one? It wouldn't matter that the legs were covered like that, because they'd be immobile anyways. Of course this would only work for things like VOTC Leia, and not a jedi or fully gowned SG figure.

Reaction score
Nicklab said:
And look at how well softgoods were done on the ROTS Ki-Adi Mundi. That is just a fantastic figure!
Alright I'll grant you I thought that one was decent too if you glued his hood down at the back. It helped that a plastic belt secured the softgoods down on the body.

Nicklab said:
I think softgoods are here to stay. for now it seems like Hasbro is on the right track for gradually improving softgoods.
I would hardly look at Medical frigate Luke and say that they're 'on the right track'.

Reaction score
Devo said:
Nicklab said:
I think softgoods are here to stay. for now it seems like Hasbro is on the right track for gradually improving softgoods.
I would hardly look at Medical frigate Luke and say that they're 'on the right track'.
You know that you can actually cinch the robe around Luke's waist tighter, right? That's the flexibility that softgoods allows that gets overlooked. You could even replace the belt if you're industrious enough.